PDA

View Full Version : The Princess and the Frog

Shark_Blade
13-12-09, 05:09
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9854/princessandthefrogposte.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/i/princessandthefrogposte.jpg/)

I went to the cinema yesterday and tickets are selling fast. Finally they are making 2D movies again, i really miss them. Rest assure it still manage to retain the classic fairy tale charm.

The voodoo guy(especially when he wears his skull mask), funnily I remember the exact same guy like him in James Bond - Live and Let Die. Maybe Disney got the inspiration from there lol? :p

Carbonek_0051
13-12-09, 05:12
I cannot wait to see this.:yah:

Finally a return to classic Disney, I am hoping it does really well so we can see more films like this.:D

Legend 4ever
13-12-09, 05:12
I really wanna see it, I don't like the "first black princess" hype, but I'm anxious to see what it's like:)

Gotta see Avatar next week too:)

:BitterSweet:
13-12-09, 05:16
I can't wait for this either! And the people who made it made two of my favourite Disney movies, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin.
I'm also glad a lot of people are enjoying it - from what I've read.

Hopefully more 2D Disney films are to come in the future. :)

scoopy_loopy
13-12-09, 05:17
Oh look, its an attempt at an ethnically diverse disney, with a shrek ripoff thrown in for good measure.

I love disney, but this seriously looks retarded.

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-12-09, 05:21
Oh look, its an attempt at an ethnically diverse disney, with a shrek ripoff thrown in for good measure.

This.

Carbonek_0051
13-12-09, 05:22
How does it look retarded? And how is it ripping off Shrek?

ThatNorskChick
13-12-09, 05:29
Hopefully more 2D Disney films are to come in the future. :)

:tmb: I give them props for doing 2D animation again.

I hope it's good, but I can't say I'm all that interested in seeing it from the previews.

Immortalis08
13-12-09, 05:31

Seriously, last I recall, it took inspiration from the Grimm brothers' "Frog Prince".

Carbonek_0051
13-12-09, 05:33
Seriously, last I recall, it was based off the Frog Princess story.

It is.:p

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frog_Princess_(novel))
Emeralda, a.k.a. Emma, is the only princess in Greater Greensward. But she acts about as much like a princess as a frog does. She is clumsy with everything, including the magic touch she inherited from the first green witch centuries back, and has a laugh like a foghorn, or maybe a donkey! - but can it save her life? When her mother says she has to marry the stuck-up Prince Jorge from East Aradia, her worst enemy, she runs off to the swamp where she meets Prince Eadric of Upper Montevista. The only problem is that he’s been turned into a frog by the witch Mudine due to his insults. Emma thought nothing could go wrong if she kissed him and tried to reverse the spell. But her whole life changes when she turns into a frog.

Just saw your edit, it's loosley based off the Frog Princess story, not the Frog Prince story.:)

scoopy_loopy
13-12-09, 05:37

It looks rediculous, they took a pre-established story and threw in African-american stereotypes galore.

As for the Shrek references, how could you not see it? It was the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer - they kiss and suddenly theyre both frogs.

And no; Im not being racist. I would simply prefer it being different, fine go with the whole Louisana stereotype, but it could have atleast been a local folkstory (or a made up one)... to be honest Id much rather be interested in soemthing about a Zimbabwean Princess. Not this tripe.

Immortalis08
13-12-09, 05:37
Haha, thought so. I knew I was right but I decided to cross reference Wikipedia. :p Never doing that again.

Carbonek_0051
13-12-09, 05:40
It looks rediculous, they took a pre-established story and threw in African-american stereotypes galore.

As for the Shrek references, how could you not see it? It was the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer - they kiss and suddenly theyre both frogs.
You have read the Frog Princess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frog_Princess_(novel)) story right? Because that's what it's based off of. It didn't take anything from Shrek, it took all of that from the actual Frog Princess story, the only thing they did was change character names and expand the story.:)

Haha, thought so. I knew I was right but I decided to cross reference Wikipedia. :p Never doing that again.

No problems.:p

_Awestruck_
13-12-09, 05:41
This doesn't appeal to me at all, and almost every disney movie looks somewhat appealing to me.

I don't think I like the ethnic diversity card disney is playing either, but that's just me.

scoopy_loopy
13-12-09, 05:45
You have read the Frog Princess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frog_Princess_%28novel%29) story right? Because that's what it's based off of. It didn't take anything from Shrek, it took all of that from the actual Frog Princess story, the only thing they did was change character names and expand the story.:)

No problems.:p

No I havent read it, I dont really like the sound of it either because its more or less a spin on the original Brother's Grim.

I just dont like the whole becoming african-american to be politcally correct thing; there are plently of better, more fitting stories they could have used.

Aranara
13-12-09, 07:13
On Tuesday I'm going with my best friend (lcaddict) to see A Christmas Carol 3D with Jim Carrey!!

Shark_Blade
13-12-09, 07:25
I'd say you better see the movie for yourself rather than watching previews and hearing negative people talks. :)

When they didn't do a black people movie, people say they are racist. When they do, people say they are trying to be ethnically diverse, and that is still wrong in their eyes. :rolleyes: Forget all this bigotry and prejudices, they are trying new things that wasn't done in the past, and that is a good thing.

edit:
I watched the trailers and other teasers before and they seriously didn't do justice to the movie. Seriously, just go and see it for yourself. :) It has good moral values and motivating themes as well.

I had a great time with my family and enjoying the movie, and thats what matters.

Melonie Tomb Raider
13-12-09, 07:38
Yeah, there's a lot of African American stereotypes that I personally feel are ridiculous. It has a "Down at the ol' Bayou" feel to it, which is not even close to resembling the traditional Princess and the Frog story.

I can understand why they may have wanted to make a story with black people. There are plenty of white princesses, and even Native American and Asian princesses as well, which is why having a black one would be nice too. However, trowing in a bunch of black stereotypes and completely changing a pre existing story just isn't the way to go about it.

What I think would have been much more fascinating is if they made a story about an African princess, and based it around some older African tribes and cultures. Just like Pocahontas and Mulan did. Rather than changing an existing story and making the lead character a different race and culture, they actually used stories that were about the culture, and I find both films to be excellent. Of course, you don't have to have authentic African characters to add black people. A completely new story, without the stereotypes, would be fine as well.

If I were black, I would be offended by this Princess and the Frog movie. In fact, I'd venture to say it offends me even though I'm not black. It just seems racist to me to take a story and make everyone black just for the sake of having an African American cartoon. I am glad they are reverting back to 2d cartoons, but I'm not impressed with this.

That's just my two cents, maybe I'm over analyzing it.

Carbonek_0051
13-12-09, 07:50
You really are over analyzing it, I highly doubt that's what Disney was trying to do. I just watched the trailers again, and I really don't see any stereotypes, and I see nothing wrong with how they handled anything. It seems just like a classic Disney film to me.

It annoys me how much people are trying to villianize Disney over something so trivial.

scoopy_loopy
13-12-09, 07:56
Yeah, there's a lot of African American stereotypes that I personally feel are ridiculous. It has a "Down at the ol' Bayou" feel to it, which is not even close to resembling the traditional Princess and the Frog story.

I can understand why they may have wanted to make a story with black people. There are plenty of white princesses, and even Native American and Asian princesses as well, which is why having a black one would be nice too. However, trowing in a bunch of black stereotypes and completely changing a pre existing story just isn't the way to go about it.

What I think would have been much more fascinating is if they made a story about an African princess, and based it around some older African tribes and cultures. Just like Pocahontas and Mulan did. Rather than changing an existing story and making the lead character a different race and culture, they actually used stories that were about the culture, and I find both films to be excellent. Of course, you don't have to have authentic African characters to add black people. A completely new story, without the stereotypes, would be fine as well.

If I were black, I would be offended by this Princess and the Frog movie. In fact, I'd venture to say it offends me even though I'm not black. It just seems racist to me to take a story and make everyone black just for the sake of having an African American cartoon. I am glad they are reverting back to 2d cartoons, but I'm not impressed with this.

That's just my two cents, maybe I'm over analyzing it.

This is exactly what I was trying to get across, I seem to lack any cooridination in my posts today. Thanks Mel! :hug:

You really are over analyzing it, I highly doubt that's what Disney was trying to do. I just watched the trailers again, and I really don't see any stereotypes, and I see nothing wrong with how they handled anything. It seems just like a classic Disney film to me.

It annoys me how much people are trying to villianize Disney over something so trivial.

Its hardly trivial. Disney has always used authentic folklore, or made up their own fitting in with the general trend of a culture's folklore (aka, Mulan, Alladin to a lesser extent.)

Shark_Blade
13-12-09, 07:58

That's just my two cents, maybe I'm over analyzing it.Why would it offend you, I haven't heard anyone else offended, black in particular anyway. :confused:

Other people are black because it fits with the main character background. I mean is it odd that Aladdin and Jasmine is surrounded by Arab people? Or Snow White with white people?

And they don't really turn everyone black. See below pic, there's Tiana's best friend and her father each standing next to Tiana's mother for example.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9710/50597222.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/50597222.jpg/)

But seriously why does it matter anyway?:confused:

All this talking about black people makes me feel bad. I love them just the same, I even make friends with them.:o I don't know about other people.:confused:

Carbonek_0051
13-12-09, 08:01
Its hardly trivial. Disney has always used authentic folklore, or made up their own fitting in with the general trend of a culture's folklore (aka, Mulan, Alladin to a lesser extent.)

It is trivial, instead of actually giving the film a chance you are basing it off some trailers and condemning the film to doing something Disney most likely was not trying to do. I haven't really heard any negative reviews about the film yet, so I take it some people are overreacting & over analyzing this whole thing. So yes, I do think it is trivial.

I hardly see anything wrong with setting it in New Orleans. I don't see any stereotypes whatsoever.
Why would it offend you, I haven't heard anyone else offended, black in particular anyway. :confused:

Other people are black because it fits with the main character background. I mean is it odd that Aladdin and Jasmine is surrounded by Arab people? Or Snow White with white people?

And they don't really turn everyone black. See below pic, there's Tiana's best friend and her father each standing next to Tiana's mother for example.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9710/50597222.jpg

Exactly.:tmb:

scoopy_loopy
13-12-09, 08:01
Why would it offend you, I haven't heard anyone else offended, black in particular anyway. :confused:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9710/50597222.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/50597222.jpg/)

All this talking about black people makes me feel bad. I love them just the same, I even make friends with them.:o I don't know about other people.:confused:

You've missed our point completely! Neither Mel nor, I, are annoyed that theyre black. We've stated again and again that we've loved the fact that Disney has done stories from other cultures, Mulan is actually my favourite. This is just too much of a step away from the traditional story.

Id be annoyed if they did Anastacia with a different European cutlure, or Beauty and the Beast in anything other than Provincial France. Forget that they're black, but the whole "Down at the ol' Bayou" (Thanks Mel) slaps in the face of the traditional folk tale.

Mystery-King
13-12-09, 08:05
Mulan FTW!!! :D

I always feel inspired after watching that movie, especially after 'How could I make a man outta you?' :D:D:D:D:D:D

scoopy_loopy
13-12-09, 08:15
^ I particuarly like the music when Mulan makes her decision to join the Emperor's army. There's no words, but it sends shivers up my spine!

Mystery-King
13-12-09, 08:18
^ I particuarly like the music when Mulan makes her decision to join the Emperor's army. There's no words, but it sends shivers up my spine!

I love ALL the songs in the movie!

I heart the part at the end when that guy comes back to her house and her nan goes 'Sign me up for the next war...' :D

Lol... this is the best disney movie ever!

tombraiderluka
13-12-09, 09:50
I love the trailers, can't wait to see it :jmp:

Punaxe
13-12-09, 10:05
Well call me ignorant, but I watched the trailer and I actually had to put some serious effort into finding out what you guys could have identified as black stereotypes. I'm actually still not sure, and I sure as hell didn't find anything to be offended by. Maybe if today's people weren't so keen on finding out and making a big deal of all that could possibly be offensive even in the slightest to any particular, suddenly clearly identifiable (now who's discriminating?) group on Earth, they could just judge the movie by what it really is. But if you insist, I would like to hear what exactly you believe black people would find offensive. Seems to me like (yet another) case of extreme nitpicking.

Also, when I first heard about this movie one or two years ago, I'm pretty sure I also read this was actually going to be Disney's last 2D animation.

xXhayleyroxXx
13-12-09, 13:00
i so cant wait to see this! xx

Your_Envy*
13-12-09, 13:08
I totally get Melonie's and Josh's posts. They should make a new story not just change characters. :) But if people are not offended, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea. I will check the trailer asap. :D

Mystery-King
13-12-09, 13:28
Well call me ignorant, but I watched the trailer and I actually had to put some serious effort into finding out what you guys could have identified as black stereotypes. I'm actually still not sure, and I sure as hell didn't find anything to be offended by. Maybe if today's people weren't so keen on finding out and making a big deal of all that could possibly be offensive even in the slightest to any particular, suddenly clearly identifiable (now who's discriminating?) group on Earth, they could just judge the movie by what it really is. But if you insist, I would like to hear what exactly you believe black people would find offensive. Seems to me like (yet another) case of extreme nitpicking.

Also, when I first heard about this movie one or two years ago, I'm pretty sure I also read this was actually going to be Disney's last 2D animation.

Its not their final movie. They're making Rapunzel and King of The Elves after this. Honestly, Disney without 2D is like Chocolate without Cocoa Beans! ;)

LightningRider
13-12-09, 13:30
But are those 2D? :o

I just found out, they're bringing back Pooh In 2D animation! Oh Joy! :jmp:

Mystery-King
13-12-09, 13:34
But are those 2D? :o

I'm 99% sure they are... I could be wrong though. They're going to be animated and not live action so I guess so...

rowanlim
13-12-09, 15:33
I watched the show this morning, it's awesome! I cried at the end, it's brilliant, the music was fabulous, the story is refreshing & the artwork is amazing :tmb: :D

Icarus60
13-12-09, 15:39

I object to your use of the word retarded. You mean "differently abled". Why is this thread still open?

LightningRider
13-12-09, 15:40
Because we're discussing a Disney Film, this thread will then eventually when this Thread Goes to Heaven With baby Jesus. ;)

Icarus60
13-12-09, 15:42
Because we're discussing a Disney Film, this thread will then eventually die. ;)

I object to the word "die". It might scare the younger TRF members. Say "when this thread goes to heaven to be with Baby Jesus." Thank you.

LightningRider
13-12-09, 15:45
I object to the word "die". It might scare the younger TRF members. Say "when this thread goes to heaven to be with Baby Jesus." Thank you.

Edited because I slightly agree. :D

Chocola teapot
13-12-09, 15:46
It's Lovely.

tonyme
13-12-09, 16:54
On Tuesday I'm going with my best friend (lcaddict) to see A Christmas Carol 3D with Jim Carrey!!
I watched that, and it's really weird but also interesting ;)
Mulan FTW!!! :D

I always feel inspired after watching that movie, especially after 'How could I make a man outta you?' :D:D:D:D:D:D
Totally agree. Mulan is an amazing movie and that song is just breathtaking, it should have won the Oscar that year for music :(

Gorgeous piece of music that is! :tmb: It's not available on the soundtrack but can be found on YouTube.

30seconds2sasa
13-12-09, 17:53
can't wait to see:jmp:

Tommy123
13-12-09, 17:59
cant wait!

tonyme
13-12-09, 18:10
I'm really happy Disney has gone back to the traditional animation method for this one. :) I can't wait to see it

Nemo_91
13-12-09, 20:24
Ah, finally an old-fashioned Disney movie. :tmb:

tranniversary119
13-12-09, 20:29
It does look pretty neat :tmb: glad they finally added in a African American princess :)

BlackRainbow
13-12-09, 20:49
I wonder if this'll be good or not... Can't say how happy I am that they've brought back ye olde 2D Disney, though.

Dennis's Mom
13-12-09, 21:13
I'm glad to see a return to hand-drawn animation, and I think setting it in New Orleans is brilliant. I wish I had a little girl to see it with.

toughraid3r37
13-12-09, 21:21

I hate to say this but i agree lol.

LaraLuvrrr
13-12-09, 21:40
The voodoo guy(especially when he wears his skull mask), funnily I remember the exact same guy like him in James Bond - Live and Let Die. Maybe Disney got the inspiration from there lol? :p

Its a Voodoo god (lwa) of death called Baron Samedi.

I find this movie to look cute yet full of stereotypes. I mean the princess is black so its set in like swamps in New Orleans with Voodoo people and such...

Nenya awakens
13-12-09, 21:43
Im looking forward to seeing a traditional 2D Disney film again :) I don't care if they are trying to be politicly correct.

rowanlim
14-12-09, 01:17
I'm 99% sure they are... I could be wrong though. They're going to be animated and not live action so I guess so...

Yup, I've seen concept arts & read some articles (sorry I don't have the links to them now), they'll be 2D animation, which is great news!

This film made me cry, partly because the story was so sweet & I am glad Disney is back to their 2D roots :D

juicybubble
14-12-09, 01:34
That movie looks good
Finally a black disney princess ;)

Encore
14-12-09, 01:37
I find it ridiculous that the first and only Disney movie with black characters is immediately deemed "politically correct". Why, is it the only possible reason for using such characters? :rolleyes:

lara is mine
14-12-09, 01:38
I saw this Friday. I thought it was SO cute, but then again im a freak for anything Disney :P

LightningRider
14-12-09, 02:38
Its a Voodoo god (lwa) of death called Baron Samedi.

I find this movie to look cute yet full of stereotypes. I mean the princess is black so its set in like swamps in New Orleans with Voodoo people and such...

If it were set in a French castle and she were French royalty then I'd be surprised lol

Well mind you, we are not setting it in the current era, so it was back when African-Americans were not entirely respected, but that's not the point, the New Orleans setting was so they could incorporate the Jazz Music, the Swamp was so they could find a place for the Frog, Voodoo actually was pretty prominent during the time.

I'm hoping to see this movie when it releases. :D

Carbonek_0051
18-12-09, 21:56
Finally saw it, and wow. I seriously loved the return to classic Disney, the art-style, music, animation. Everything was perfect.:D It has it's funny moments, but also had it's touching moments. I loved all the characters, and I welcome Tiana to the Disney Princesses.:)

4PtgRrRcKJM

I love, love, love the music.:cln:

It made me happy while watching it, I now hold it up as one of my favorite Disney films now.:)

tonyme
19-12-09, 21:38
Nate I couldn't agree more with your post :tmb:

I just came back from watching it. It's just AMAZING! Everything fit, the story was original and really unique, the characters were all lovable and the music is just fantastic. It really impressed me and I laughed so hard at the funny moments, but also almost teared up at the emotional ones, it's classic Disney at its best :)

Carbonek_0051
19-12-09, 21:43
Nate I couldn't agree more with your post :tmb:

I just came back from watching it. It's just AMAZING! Everything fit, the story was original and really unique, the characters were all lovable and the music is just fantastic. It really impressed me and I laughed so hard at the funny moments, but also almost teared up at the emotional ones, it's classic Disney at its best :)

Exactly! Definitely one of my favorite films this year.:tmb: The characters are amazing, I love, love, love Ray.:o

http://images.hitfix.com/photos/219699/RayLightningBug_gallery_primary.jpg

Also on the subject of Princess & The Frog, it seems Disney have already started with events at Disneyland! I can't wait to go again, while watching I was wondering if they would have any.:D

ZfDBu-0-oYk

v53i5pV20ME

I can't wait to go again and see Tiana & the whole gang!:)

tonyme
19-12-09, 21:46
Awesome plans!!! :yik: I hope they get to be done pretty soon! The movie is getting great reviews and the old Disney fans loved it, it would be a fantastic idea to integrate it to the classic DisneyLand themes :)

Love2Raid
19-12-09, 21:48
Great to hear there is a new 'classic' Disney movie! The Princess and the Frog used to be one of my favourite fairytales. Can't wait to see it. :)

Hermina94
19-12-09, 22:13
Yay!Finally another classic Disney film :)

BlackRainbow
20-12-09, 11:15
4PtgRrRcKJM
Wow, great soundtrack! :tmb: It definitely has a Randy Newman touch to it. :)

rowanlim
20-12-09, 12:12
^Yup the soundtrack is amazing, I enjoyed every song throughout the song :tmb: