PDA

View Full Version : People's Weather - Feedback, Ideas and Testing

jamieoliver22
13-12-09, 23:10
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jamieoliver22/plain_logo.jpg (http://yextreme.co.uk/pweather/)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jamieoliver22/promo_screenshots.jpg

I am currently developing a new website, currently called "People's Weather".

Everyone talks about the weather, it is fundemental part of everyone's daily lives. It is usually the start of any conversation and is always a good icebreaker. It affects pretty much everything we want to do, and lets face it, weather predictions are wrong more often than not. So why not have a website, where people can actually post the current weather for their town which others can come on check before they go there? Sounded like a good idea to me, so that's where this website came in. People's Weather is a collaboration driven weather reporting system that is based on user input.

The website is currently in an early beta test release, and I wanted to gather as much feedback as I could from everyone. Because of this being a test release, many features may not work correctly and may be prone to change at any time.

The main elements of feedback I wanted to have are the follows:

The main concern is the name - is it suitable, good? Can anyone recommend any better names, something easier to remember? Quirkier?
The main features of the website - what would you add/remove? How can features be improved and developed?
The design, is it suitable? How could it be improved?
What do you think of the idea of the website as a whole?

Also, I would like to know if anyone would be willing to help test the backend, such as SQL Injections, XSS, etc. If so, please PM me.

Here is the address to the website: http://yextreme.co.uk/pweather/

It will be on it's own dedicated domain name once a final website name has been decided.

If you could give me as much feedback as you can, or if you find any errors or problems, it would be really appreciated.

Cheers everyone! :wve:

N.B - I've had permissions from Justin to post about this in here. Cheers.

Punaxe
14-12-09, 01:16
Haven't got the time for in-depth heuristics evaluation at the moment, but the first thing that comes to mind is when viewing a weather report, I would like it to be made clearer how old exactly the report is. I would suggest replacing the small print "Posted by Anonymous at 12:15 am 14/12/2009" with a much more salient "reported 30 minutes/1 hour/etc ago". Probably also best to remove these things after a certain time, but maybe that's already the case.
Also, probably show the most recent report of the most recently requested location (or location set as the default) at the homepage after a first visit so people don't have to fill in their town all the time.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced by the actual idea itself as it stands. You speak about weather predictions in your welcome statement, but your site doesn't solve that problem: it's only about current weather information, which I think could be more accurately obtained elsewhere (http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=exp).
I think people would stand to gain more if they could update each other on either longer-lasting weather-related events or some other kind of prediction that doesn't require them to be meteorologists. For example, people who just visited a park could report that there are currently baby geese swimming around, that the autumn colours are currently in full glory, that new flowers are just germinating or stuff like that. These are things that don't change by the hour and give people the ability to plan ahead.

Continuing this brainstorm (hope you don't mind), those aspects I mentioned are of course periodical and once you have established the patterns, you can use this information in conjunction with other information. When you know at what time what natural events happen in what areas, and then you combine this with weather information (both current and forecast), you may end up with a great guide for any nature lover to see what are current "hot spots" for a day out. Aside the already-mentioned aspects, user-generated information like "this place looks great when there's ground fog" + otherwise obtained [nightly weather circumstances predicted that tend to result in ground fog] could result in a report on the map giving "88% chance of great views between 6 and 9 AM tomorrow".

Anyway. Some weather icons aren't working either. :p

lararoxs
14-12-09, 01:20
Name: Seems like a good start, still sounds a bit clunky though, maybe something like weather Wise would sounds better? I can't really give any input into a suggested name, but I think you're right about it needing some attention, not a lot though. It is an appropriate name.

Main Features: I think it's all been done really well, they all look professionally done and presented. I don't think there would be anything removed anyway! The only thing I have come across so far is that some of the weather options e.g. sleet, you cannot see an image to represent it, possibly something you are working on at the moment but in all honesty I think the features are great! Possibly the addition to continue adding updates to the weather as the day goes on, e.g. raining 9-10am, 11-12pm sunny.

Design: I think you have thought about the layout and presentation well, the colour scheme is really well associated with nature and earthly colours, so a keeper there!
The layout and accessibility is easy to use and navigate through. Nicely done with the tool-bar at the side. Also the adverts kept with the tool-bar is a good idea, saves it looking messy and un-organised and also acts as a continuing sidebar.

Idea: I think the idea as a whole is really quite unique, sure you have the Met. reports etc, but it's the first site that seems to be based around user submissions, which I think could catch on well considering the weather can be unpredictable - even the almighty Met office can't get it right all the time! I think it could catch on well!

Anyway, There's my bit. I think it's a brilliant start though, Jamie! I hope it takes off well for you, it looks like you don't need much help from us though.

jamieoliver22
14-12-09, 12:05
After writing a massive reply, the forum decides that I can't post it and I lost it all :pi:

Haven't got the time for in-depth heuristics evaluation at the moment, but the first thing that comes to mind is when viewing a weather report, I would like it to be made clearer how old exactly the report is. I would suggest replacing the small print "Posted by Anonymous at 12:15 am 14/12/2009" with a much more salient "reported 30 minutes/1 hour/etc ago". Probably also best to remove these things after a certain time, but maybe that's already the case.
Also, probably show the most recent report of the most recently requested location (or location set as the default) at the homepage after a first visit so people don't have to fill in their town all the time.

There will evantually be a cut off point that will only show data that was posted in say, the last 24 hours - but I haven't added this in yet. And the idea of having "posted 1 hour ago", etc, is a great idea. I do agree that the date/time should be more obvious and prominent.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced by the actual idea itself as it stands. You speak about weather predictions in your welcome statement, but your site doesn't solve that problem: it's only about current weather information, which I think could be more accurately obtained elsewhere (http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=exp).
I think people would stand to gain more if they could update each other on either longer-lasting weather-related events or some other kind of prediction that doesn't require them to be meteorologists. For example, people who just visited a park could report that there are currently baby geese swimming around, that the autumn colours are currently in full glory, that new flowers are just germinating or stuff like that. These are things that don't change by the hour and give people the ability to plan ahead.

Continuing this brainstorm (hope you don't mind), those aspects I mentioned are of course periodical and once you have established the patterns, you can use this information in conjunction with other information. When you know at what time what natural events happen in what areas, and then you combine this with weather information (both current and forecast), you may end up with a great guide for any nature lover to see what are current "hot spots" for a day out. Aside the already-mentioned aspects, user-generated information like "this place looks great when there's ground fog" + otherwise obtained [nightly weather circumstances predicted that tend to result in ground fog] could result in a report on the map giving "88% chance of great views between 6 and 9 AM tomorrow".

Some great ideas there. I agree that the information should be expanded to include additional things, as there is so much you can do with 'current' weather. I really like the idea of including information about the environment and about current events also. And I did consider using the information gathered to help create statistics, but not sure yet.

It got me thinking - whaa about user submitted photos too, so users could actually see what the area they were going to looks like before they do? It also helps to show what's going on in a given location.

Anyway. Some weather icons aren't working either. :p

That's just because I was lazy and haven't added the last few in. :p

Anyway, some really great feedback there that has gotten me thinking, really appreciated.

And thanks lararoxs too, some more great feedback - the more the better.

Cheers everyone.

Marianna12
14-12-09, 13:47
Name: It sounds good and it's easy to remember, but imo you could put something more "special". Weather Wise as lararoxs suggested is a good idea!:)

Main Features: Nothing to say here, it's really well done!

Design: I love the colour, it suits with the whole website idea! Maybe you could add a picture as a background (eg a pic showing a sky)?

Idea: Simply great and very original! I don't think I've seen something like that before!

Some icons are not showing though...But I'm sure you've noticed that:p

I didn't help that much, but anyways, good luck!:tmb:

touchthesky
14-12-09, 14:01
I like it..it's an ace idea but you didn't include Scotland? :(

jamieoliver22
14-12-09, 14:09
I like it..it's an ace idea but you didn't include Scotland? :(

Quite a lot of places are missing at the moment, and many more places will be included. The whole of the UK will be covered.

Marianna12
14-12-09, 14:10
Will you include other countries too?

jamieoliver22
14-12-09, 14:23
Will you include other countries too?

Maybe at some point, I would like to - but just for now it will be UK only.