PDA

View Full Version : Math Woes..

star-dust
14-12-09, 02:15
Mods... feel free to delete this thread if you find it unnessesary. :)

I've created this thread for us people who hate math to share all of our stresses and stories about math...

I'm currently taking a single math course... and I'm in my last week of it! Which is so exciting! I've done really well so far... getting high marks which I had never received in math before and then BAM... I'm on my last test before the exam and I just DO NOT understand it. I've come to large wall and it is so frustrating since I want to do well in the course and now I'm feeling like my mard could drop.

It's just hard because I think most of us want to understand math... and like it once we get it. But our silly little brains just can't adjust and have it click so everything is smooth sailing and it's stressful!

Share your stories! :ton:

juicybubble
14-12-09, 02:20
Math is stupid
since im going to marry a rich prince i wont need to learn math cuz i wont need to get a job cuz ill be a princess

miss.haggard
14-12-09, 02:24
Math is stupid
since im going to marry a rich prince i wont need to learn math cuz i wont need to get a job cuz ill be a princess

Can we be best friends? And have sleepovers? And do our nails? AND TALK ABOUT BOIZ?!!!!!

juicybubble
14-12-09, 02:24
can we be best friends? And have sleepovers? And do our nails? And talk about boiz?!!!!!

oh em gee yes

Paperdoll
14-12-09, 02:25
No you can't have sleepovers. But you can stick to the topic.

My math woes? Statistics... damn statistics and not being able to even remotely understand my teacher who's only response to our despair is something along the lines of "It's cool... don't worry about it".

X_X

Quasimodo
14-12-09, 02:25
I just finished my associate's degree and I won't have to take another maths class until I study for teacher certification. Hallelujah. I have to see lots of step-by-step examples before everything clicks when it comes to maths. All my life I've had difficulties with the subject, probably because I always always bored and sketching in my notebook or the teacher threw so much jargon and stuff on the board at once, I just couldn't keep up. I was also too proud to ask for help :p Don't shoot yourself in the foot, kids!

miss.haggard
14-12-09, 02:26
No you can't have sleepovers. But you can stick to the topic.

K. Math sucks. Happy? :ton:

Dark Lugia 2
14-12-09, 02:29
I wish I could get my head around maths more, or atleast at GCSE. Its always been the one thing that I've struggled with. >_< It was my only C at GCSE, even though I revised to hard to try and get a B lol! I know that it'll affect me in the future, I'd never take it again though, glad its out of my life (well, most of it anyway.They never said you had to calculate in AS Chemistry, urgh... :o). Its really annoying though, now I wish i revised more for that maths GCSE :p

I know someone who got an A* in maths, I was amazed! I'm jelous of anyone whos that good at maths, haha

Great topic and post! :D

Paperdoll
14-12-09, 02:30
K. Math sucks. Happy? :ton:

Yes, I can die now XD I'm as happy as I'll ever be :p

star-dust
14-12-09, 02:36
I just finished my associate's degree and I won't have to take another maths class until I study for teacher certification. Hallelujah. I have to see lots of step-by-step examples before everything clicks when it comes to maths. All my life I've had difficulties with the subject, probably because I always always bored and sketching in my notebook or the teacher threw so much jargon and stuff on the board at once, I just couldn't keep up. I was also too proud to ask for help :p Don't shoot yourself in the foot, kids!

I'm like you, I need lots of step-by-step examples for it to click. Unfortunately my teacher teaches in the way of he'll show you an example and now you'll know how to do it. Also the course is almost over and everything is being crammed! I find it hard to keep up and then you just feel over your head. I'm thinking I may have to do the one class over again... just so I'll understand it better. Which isn't bad... I just really hope I don't have to... because it would suck to have to endure another month and a half of math, haha!

I wish I could get my head around maths more, or atleast at GCSE. Its always been the one thing that I've struggled with. >_< It was my only C at GCSE, even though I revised to hard to try and get a B lol! I know that it'll affect me in the future, I'd never take it again though, glad its out of my life (well, most of it anyway.They never said you had to calculate in AS Chemistry, urgh... ). Its really annoying though, now I wish i revised more for that maths GCSE

I know someone who got an A* in maths, I was amazed! I'm jelous of anyone whos that good at maths, haha

Great topic and post!

Thank you! :D
Math is the one subject I've struggled with most too. For some people math just comes so easy and they'll pull an A out of no where! Makes me envious, haha! I'm only taking my math as a pre-requisite for a program I may take in the future... never would I ever take math for "fun". Once it's out of my life I'll be one of the happiest people ever. :tea:

LightningRider
14-12-09, 02:50
I don't have a total love for Math, it's the whole Algebra and Calculation thing. :p

ThatNorskChick
14-12-09, 03:14
I feel so dumb when I'm in a math class. I can't add or subtract without using my hands or making little marks on my paper. I've taken algebra 50 million times already. I took algebra 2 last semester and failed hard. Now I'm taking it next semester, I'm praying for a passing grade!

star-dust
14-12-09, 03:17
I feel so dumb when I'm in a math class. I can't add or subtract without using my hands or making little marks on my paper. I've taken algebra 50 million times already. I took algebra 2 last semester and failed hard. Now I'm taking it next semester, I'm praying for a passing grade!

Awe! Well good luck! :hug: No worries, I use my calculator for EVERYTHING. You should be proud of yourself for attempting to try it again! I had a teacher who told me there is nothing wrong with taking a class over... most people run for the hills when they get a passing grade. And it's true. So, good on you. :D

EmeraldFields
14-12-09, 03:23
My math woes? Statistics... damn statistics and not being able to even remotely understand my teacher who's only response to our despair is something along the lines of "It's cool... don't worry about it".

X_X

This.

Stats can DIAF.

sephiroth99
14-12-09, 04:46
personally I don't mind maths :P

Last semester I had a course called "Linear algebra and vectorial analysis". That was a fun course :P Had to do lots of homework to understand, it's not easy stuff that you understand on the first read.

example of stuff we saw (I almost forgot everything already lol):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integral
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector-valued_function
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_field
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient

But I am in no way a maths expert! I'm sure some of you are better than me in other subjects

aktrekker
14-12-09, 04:54
Vectors are pretty easy if you have some basic trig. Required stuff for game development.
Integrals is calculus. I can learn to do the steps for solving, but could never find a way to apply it to anything I am involved in. Without the application, it's hard to understand why you would want to do it.
It's always easier to learn if you have a real life example. Something you would encounter in your life. Then you can see why and when you would apply it, and how it helps you solve a real problem. Then learning it is easy because you are interested.

Aranara
14-12-09, 07:20
My mum says I am good at Maths but because we don't have a teacher I can't learn Maths properly.

We switched 5 teachers in a single semester. How retarded is that??

Saphyre
14-12-09, 07:55
Maths has always given me trouble. I have dyspraxia which really effected my ability, but just in general, maths muddles up my brain to the extreme. I'm good at art and english but maths is a no go for me. Its just a shame you have to have maths in order to get access to a lot of things out there. My E grade ain't gonna cut it. (I've re-sat maths twice, and got an E each time.)

BlackRainbow
14-12-09, 08:31
Gah! Same goes for me!

Aranara
14-12-09, 11:01
I feel so dumb when I'm in a math class. I can't add or subtract without using my hands or making little marks on my paper.

In a previous life you were in my body. Too bad I don't make funny TR videos:D

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-12-09, 11:38
Vectors are pretty easy if you have some basic trig. Required stuff for game development.
Integrals is calculus. I can learn to do the steps for solving, but could never find a way to apply it to anything I am involved in. Without the application, it's hard to understand why you would want to do it.
It's always easier to learn if you have a real life example. Something you would encounter in your life. Then you can see why and when you would apply it, and how it helps you solve a real problem. Then learning it is easy because you are interested.

Yeah, it was nice when I got into classes where you could see what the hell a 1st order diff-eq/Laplace Transform could actually be useful for. Made the previous classes look a whole lot less like busy work.

Alex Shepherd
14-12-09, 11:43
Can we be best friends? And have sleepovers? And do our nails? AND TALK ABOUT BOIZ?!!!!!

My Math teacher is zombie...

Raider Man

ShadyCroft
14-12-09, 12:16
Math is stupid

If it hadn't been for Math we wouldn't be that advanced in so many areas like technology and other fields. I don't like it but I do appreciate it, and I do agree its not for everyone.
If you don't like Math then don't take it. :tea: Play to your strengths. :tea:

miss.haggard
14-12-09, 13:40
My Math teacher is zombie...

Raider Man

Well I hope you treat him with the respect that his noble people deserve!

Aranara
14-12-09, 13:41
I don't know why I hate Maths. I'm not a person who likes literature that much. I like square, precise things. Maybe I should work with stocks:)

freeze10108
14-12-09, 22:33
I actually like math quite a bit, and I think I'm pretty good at it, but I never seem to be able to perform when it comes test time. I always make some sort of tiny mistake which throws off the entire problem, like a missed minus sign. Urgh! http://i43.************/2euof1l.jpg

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have a great teacher this year that gives us the test with changed numbers as a review.

TRhalloween
15-12-09, 02:41
Stupid teachers, I don't need maths to get a job. It's not neccesary for every occupation.
Do I need maths to be a hooker? No. Hahaha so jokes on you!

Thorir
15-12-09, 03:05
Don't worry. After school, all you will ever need is a phone with a calculator. :)

I can honestly say I have never needed to know all the math-crap I tried to go through.

Ward Dragon
15-12-09, 03:37
Stupid teachers, I don't need maths to get a job. It's not neccesary for every occupation.
Do I need maths to be a hooker? No. Hahaha so jokes on you!

You need to be able to count your money and make sure you didn't get screwed... oh wait XD

TRhalloween
16-12-09, 16:08
you need to be able to count your money and make sure you didn't get screwed... Oh wait xd

:vlol:

mind
16-12-09, 16:15
Im basically studying maths and information technologies and the only good thing about it is, that I finally realized I want to do nothing where this devil is included. Im changing the way of my study next year. Meantime I can hand over a pillow to every lesson.

Hawke1000
16-12-09, 16:17
I love maths, if anyone is facing problems in math, you can consult me...l0lz ;)

Alex Shepherd
19-12-09, 08:38
Well I hope you treat him with the respect that his noble people deserve!

OPPOSITE! :mis:

I love maths, if anyone is facing problems in math, you can consult me...l0lz ;)

Well me too actually... I am gonna be a math teacher for the next year so I think it will be so complicated among students, just like my friends, when he always see numbers he'd say "OHHH NUMBERS NUMBERS--- GET THEM AWAY FROM ME" :vlol:...

Raider Man

Shark_Blade
19-12-09, 08:46
I would honestly say that I hate math. But I work hard on it despite my dislike and manage to get good grades.

But still that doesn't make me like it. :p

rowanlim
19-12-09, 08:53
I studied engineering math, it's not really my kind of thing but I do adequately well :p

Capt. Murphy
19-12-09, 14:03
I studied engineering math, it's not really my kind of thing but I do adequately well :p

Awwww. :(

Anyway, I don't feel confident about my ability to do subtractions.

rowanlim
19-12-09, 15:42
^Well in my course, math is a basic requirement :D

I'm not into studying core math, applications are good enough for me :o