PDA

View Full Version : Face care...

wadej88
14-12-09, 04:01
Hey there, Im 16, and by the middle of last year, I was changing from cleanser to cleanser every day. My skin was very dry and stressed, And after a I started eating Mi Goreng noodles nearly every day, Gigantic thick swollen acne came up on my chin, spread up to my cheeks.

Months of trying lots of things didnt help, Until Minicycline cleared the chin to some extent, I was then prescribed Differin, And that has kept the swollen acne away , Though I dont sleep on my back so my face is always pressed against my pillow, still leaving pimples on my jawline and near the corner of one side of my face.

Theres not much I can do about that, BUT, I have uneven skin tone, and my WHOLE face is covered in whiteheads and blocked pores basically.

Im currently:

MORNING
Garnier pure cleanser
Witch Hazel
Loreal mens anti grease moisturiser.

NIGHT:
Garnier Pure, OR Biore warming blackhead scrub if I wear makeup (once a week at the most I wear revlon colorstay)
Then Biore tripple action toner for the whiteheads and stuff,
Then differin gel mixed with Biore night boosting gel.

And I was using a microdermabrasion mitt every morning, but I now use St Ives apricot scrub 1-2 a week instead.

Would It be better If:
I just cleansed my face in the morning under the shower with just water
Then used witch hazel
Then moisturiser if I need it? (the one I use is a gel)

Then at night just witch hazel again, then use differin, As witch hazel is 100% natural.
Then St Ives every 2-3 days?
Ive heard that differin slows down the process of shedding skin cells?

Witch hazel cleanses the face= No chemicals in it= No irritation

Your thoughts?

miss.haggard
14-12-09, 04:15
Ive never had too much of a huge problem with acne, but everynight I wash my face with Clearasil face scrub (look (http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/07/43/clearasil-stayclear-daily-facial-scrub-5-fl-oz_2515368_175.jpg)) and apply Clearasil Vanishing Acne Treatment (look (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AONshnpNL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg)) nightly.

During the day, more so in the summer due to the humidity, I use astringents to keep the oil content down. They have plenty with all the "anti-acne" medicine in them as well.

If you are looking for something less chemically, when I was a kid I would just get a wash cloth damp, in as hot of water as you can stand, and just hold your face in it, a few times a day.

Thats my advice! :)

EmeraldFields
14-12-09, 04:17
This is what I use...

In the morning (while I'm in the shower) I wash my face with the St. Ives Medicated Scrub and then I put Neutrogena On-the-spot Acne Cream on any blemishes.

When I'm getting ready for bed I use the Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar.

It sounds like you're using a lot of different treatments which could be why your skin is so dry.

But, I'm no dermatologist. Next time you go in to your appointment, tell them exactly what you're using and what you can change to help clear up your skin.

wadej88
14-12-09, 04:24
Thanks for your fast replies.

My acne seems to be well under control, But was wondering on peoples ideas/thoughts on ways to keep your face clean with noooo chemicals at all.

I think I could live off st ives, But using the scrub every day is particulary bad for your skin apparently (micro scratches caused by the apricot kernals?) Or something.

Plus the differin slows down the skins shedding process so my pores wont get inflamed as much, but I still suffer from whiteheads everywhere?

remote91
14-12-09, 04:39
All I use to take care of my skin is Simple Oil Reducing face wash, both morning and night, and then usually before bed, or if I don't plan on going anywhere I'll apply some nivea moisturizer, just to give my skin some extra care.

I drink lots of water too, that helps with hydration of the skin and I have noticed a huge improvement in my complextion

Don't use too many products on your skin either!

miss.haggard
14-12-09, 05:08
Forgot to add, St Ives Apricot Scrub I remember working well also!

- Oh I see your post now, lols :D I never had too much trouble with it, it hurts a little at first but you get used to it.

Melonie Tomb Raider
14-12-09, 05:12
Lemon juice is amazing. :D I prefer natural products, anything from Aveeno is great.

I had acne when I was a teenager, but it's gone now, with the exception of a little bump showing up every once in a while. I definitely don't advice over medicating your face. Drink plenty of water, and use some natural products sometimes, but don't overdo it, or your skin will end up being really dry and leathery. :S

Admles
14-12-09, 05:16
One of the best things you can do in order to clear up your skin is to clean up your diet and ensure you get plenty of water.

Dennis's Mom
14-12-09, 13:44
The variety of products you're using concerns me. Generally, products within the same line are formulated to work together. It's possible that by mixing lines, you're actually neutralizing one active ingredient with another. Also, check out whether your products contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. Some people respond better to one than the other. If you've only tried one, you might try the other for a while.

I would recommend sticking with one line. You are probably over-exfoliating. Twice a week should do it. Sure, sloughing off those dead skin cells is good, but you've got to give your skin time to recover. Sometimes skin will break out because you're doing too much to it. Over dry skin will break out too.

The best news is that "this too shall pass." You're at an age when breakouts are not uncommon thanks to hormones, so once those settle down, you're skin should also.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-12-09, 14:07
Hey there, Im 16, and by the middle of last year, I was changing from cleanser to cleanser every day. My skin was very dry and stressed, And after a I started eating Mi Goreng noodles nearly every day, Gigantic thick swollen acne came up on my chin, spread up to my cheeks.

Months of trying lots of things didnt help, Until Minicycline cleared the chin to some extent, I was then prescribed Differin, And that has kept the swollen acne away , Though I dont sleep on my back so my face is always pressed against my pillow, still leaving pimples on my jawline and near the corner of one side of my face.

Theres not much I can do about that, BUT, I have uneven skin tone, and my WHOLE face is covered in whiteheads and blocked pores basically.

Im currently:

MORNING
Garnier pure cleanser
Witch Hazel
Loreal mens anti grease moisturiser.

NIGHT:
Garnier Pure, OR Biore warming blackhead scrub if I wear makeup (once a week at the most I wear revlon colorstay)
Then Biore tripple action toner for the whiteheads and stuff,
Then differin gel mixed with Biore night boosting gel.

And I was using a microdermabrasion mitt every morning, but I now use St Ives apricot scrub 1-2 a week instead.

Would It be better If:
I just cleansed my face in the morning under the shower with just water
Then used witch hazel
Then moisturiser if I need it? (the one I use is a gel)

Then at night just witch hazel again, then use differin, As witch hazel is 100% natural.
Then St Ives every 2-3 days?
Ive heard that differin slows down the process of shedding skin cells?

Witch hazel cleanses the face= No chemicals in it= No irritation

Your thoughts?

How much water do you drink? Staying properly hydrated will help a lot, 64 ounces of water per day and NO soda.

x2crazyidiot
14-12-09, 14:33
I'm currently having a bad acne problem myself, having had clear skin my whole life (I'm 16 aswell) and in the past 4 months I've randomly completely broken out. It's gotten worse due to the fact I was impatient and used ALOT of different products to no avail.

However, this is what I am doing, and I suggest you do the same because it makes my skin feel better. I wash my face with Aqueous cream, then any kind of moisturiser based soup, then I put on E45 lotion. This COMPLETELY hydrates my skin without all the crap used in other cosmetics which infact just makes your skin drier and worse.

Because my skin has scarred very very easily, and it could produce life-long scars, I'm also being put on a 6 month course of the well known Ro-Accutane next week, which has an almost 100% success rate in 'getting rid of' acne. I am also using something called Derma-Care, which is essentially cover up for scars left by acne (mine aren't the VERY serious scars, just very red blotchy scars, so obviously this cover-up is doing wonders for my confidence)

just my two cents. Hope this helps :)

nightwishgirl84
14-12-09, 14:39
I suggest Lush.
They are a cosmetics company with fresh handmade cosmetics, so less chemicals and more herbs and natural solutions.
They have done wonders for my skin.
For the morning I recommend : Herbalism or Fresh Farmacy, Tea Tree Toner and Vanishing Cream.
Night : Herbalism or Fresh Farmacy, Tea Tree Toner, Grease Lightning and Vanishing Cream.
Also Ocean Salt scrub 1x or 2x a week and/or Dark Angels 2x a week, and if you like to use a mask I recommend Cupcake Fresh Mask (you can put this in the freezer to keep it fresh).

Dark Angels is the best product ever imo, the Rhassoul clay makes my skin look so much better! it's pitch black and it smells like Licorice :)

Here's the link, they probably also have an MO in Australia : Lush (http://www.lush.com/)

Aranara
14-12-09, 14:54
I just use Clean & Clear and Brevoxyl ( I think it's a Romanian only cream).
Clean & Clear- Get rid of your blackheads, dirt and oil
Brevoxyl- It's against zits.
And I have no pimples on my nose/forehead.

wadej88
15-12-09, 22:10
Ive started washing my face with just warm water, Then using witch hazel. My skins natural oils are balancing out and my skin is looking alot healthier.
Ill just st ives every couple of days

Seb_01225
15-12-09, 22:19
Recently i've been used a tea tree and mint face wash from the body shop and it is great!
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/Seb_01225/WASH.jpg

Simochka
15-12-09, 22:22
I use garnier pure active.

Since I was 12 I've used well around 30-50 different things. And nothing works.
Garnier pure active shows a LITTLE results. But everyone does and then acne breaks out again.

Heck I even tested pills. Nothing works on my face XD
But I use make up so I cover them and it's not THAT bad.
And some parts of my skin are dry while my nose and forehead can look shiny pretty fast with foundation and powder on

BTW. Anyone knows what to do with acne scars? Cause my acne scars looks like acne. But they are flat and are disappearing SLOOOOWLY.

TRhalloween
15-12-09, 22:27
They got me on some antibiotics, my point of acne was askew. They're pretty strong because my skin is quite bad but normal light creams work well do as your skin won't feel dry.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 22:36
also, dont touch your pimples because they then spread wherever your fingers touch - i know its tempting to but dont :ton: toothpaste works (not actually sure how but it does i think its because the baking soda dries the oil up in your spots) xx

Catracoth
15-12-09, 22:37
PROACTIV works wonders. The only downside is that if you don't use it for a few days, you break out.

LaraLuvrrr
15-12-09, 23:00
The only acne product that worked for me was this over the counter one called "Acne Free."

I dont believe in prescription treatments theyre expensive and never worked for me.

toxicraider
15-12-09, 23:12
also, dont touch your pimples because they then spread wherever your fingers touch - i know its tempting to but dont :ton: toothpaste works (not actually sure how but it does i think its because the baking soda dries the oil up in your spots) xx

It's antiseptic so helps kill of the nasty bacteria in the spot, and it also helps by drying it out (which also kills the bacteria, and i think helps the swelling).

The blackheads and ugly pores are really hard to handle though.
I use hot water and a scrub/cream to clean everyday, morning and night, then use a toner to remove extra oils and dead skin. The effects will take a while because this prevents the blocked pores more than clearing them. Then use some moisuriser to stop the skin becoming dry (which causes production of more oil, and also gives sores)

Then once a week use a hot steaming bowl before washing, to really open up the pores.

But fresh air, water, good diet and exercise are really important, especially for uneven skin tone. Too much sun is terrible.

You really just need to keep up with the same products, and the same routine. If you frequently dry out your skin, and skip some of the routine, then all the dry skin, combined with increased oil will make your skin bad, and really difficult to reverse.

scion05
15-12-09, 23:24
Alls I do is drink water and occasionally moisturise/use a toner. It's best just to leave it alone :)

EmeraldFields
15-12-09, 23:30
PROACTIV works wonders. The only downside is that if you don't use it for a few days, you break out.

I heard not to use it because after you stop using it your skin goes to hell.:p

juicybubble
15-12-09, 23:47
I dont have a problem with acne. I am a flawless girl :3
But i use a clericicil wipe on my face everyday
They sell them in detorit were i live
Dont know if they sell em in other places than detroit tho D:

wadej88
16-12-09, 00:05
I heard not to use it because after you stop using it your skin goes to hell.:p

Thats because youve stopped putting benzoyl peroxide on your face, wich means the bacteria are going to grow back twice as fast!:hea:

Just using witch hazel seems to be keeping my face clean ;)
Though I still have to put differin on at night, But I mix it with Biore night boosting gel, wich gives the skin vitamins and stuff back ;),
Though the differin doesent cause redness or burn or anything wich is good:)

PandaINC
16-12-09, 00:30
I have been able to keep my face under control pretty well by just washing my face and using St. Ives. But does anyone have any suggestions for acne on my back and chest? it isn't much but I'd still like to get rid of it and I just don't know how to go about it.

Shark_Blade
16-12-09, 01:03
You can never go wrong with Loreal Men Expert. :tmb: They work for me, you might wanna try it see if it's compatible with your skin.

TRenTIs
16-12-09, 01:18
Recently i've been used a tea tree and mint face wash from the body shop and it is great!
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/Seb_01225/WASH.jpg

I use this too. I use a few products from the tea tree line from the body shop and they help with my skin. Especially because they all work together.

I haven't used toothpaste for a long time because the last time I used it, I left it on for too long and it burned my face.

Dark Lugia 2
16-12-09, 02:33
Im in the middle of a minor break out, its horrible :p Maintaining these factors help me, I see results in a day or 2:

- Drinking lots of water (seriously, dont take this with a pinch of salt! It really does help)
- Getting regular hours of sleep, you should aim for 8 every night tbh
- Cutting out most of your junk food (an odd snack will be ok though :p)

It sounds like your using too many products on your face. If dry skin is also a problem for you then you'd need a godo moisturiser, like this:

http://images.chemistdirect.co.uk/images/productimages/large/cetraben_emollient_cream_9400.jpg
(you can get it at any pharmacy, dermatologists always prescribe it for dry skin)

God Horus
16-12-09, 02:55
I never get acne, I used to get like a few small zits and I used the Clearasil Vanishing Treatment cream which worked alright.

Now, I cleanse my face with the Neutrogena Oil Free Cleansing Wash, then use the Neutrogena Rapid Clear Pads, 1 every day, I just fold them in half. Also I put Nivea Creme on my face like 5 mins after because the pads sometimes make your skin dry. But yeah, I have flawless skin!! I also used the clearasil non medicated cleanser, with a bottle of real benzoyl peroxide cream but I think that was too harsh because it burned off chunks of my facial hair so I had to shave it all off. It can also give you chemical burn.

Dennis's Mom
16-12-09, 13:35
Also, good old Milk of Magnesia (the original) has a good reputation of helping with acne. Cotton ball it on, let it dry, wash it off. It has drying and anti-bacterial properties.

And I want to echo what Hayley said about not touching your face. It's vital to keep germs away from your skin. Acne is basically an infection. Touching your skin with dirty hands will not help.