PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer screening

Helegad
15-12-09, 12:45
So I was talking to my sister, and apparently my mum went to a breast cancer screening, and has been called back for tomorrow. Knowing so damn little, I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Can someone please let me know about a few things?

1. Do they call you back in to get your test results, positive or not?
2. If you catch it early, can it be removed?
3. Is breast cancer just as bad/fatal as any other cancer?

Rai
15-12-09, 12:53
I can't answer the 1st question, sorry.

Caught early, breast cancer is curable. Cancer is bad no matter which type, can't lie about that. However, I believe breast cancer, being quite common, is curable and many people recover from it. To give you a name you can recognise, Kylie Minogue had breast cancer and she is very much well now. These aren't the facts though, only what I've read. Be as positive as you can.

Whatever the results, this must be a tough thing to go through. I wish your mum all the best. And you too. :hug:

Another Lara
15-12-09, 13:04
I hope you're mum is ok!

My mum's had a screening before where she had to go back and either be retested or have a check up from the doctor. It turned out that it was just a collection of harmless cells that has caused a small lump and was nothing more, but it's good that they call you back just to make sure, even if it does worry you when they call you back.

Breast cancer can be different for different people, obviously there are a lot of success stories...

My mum's aunt found out she had breast cancer and after the op soon found out it had spread to her liver and died shortly after. But I think this was due to the fact it had not been caught in time. Time is the most important factor when it comes to battling cancer.

Capt. Murphy
15-12-09, 13:04

1. I can't say I know. Sorry.

2. Yes.

3. Any form of cancer can be fatal once it gets to a certain point. That's why the earlier you find and treat it - the better!

I hope your Mother's diagnosis is a good one. :o

Aranara
15-12-09, 13:56
If my mother was called back, I don't think I'd had the nerves to just stay and wait.
Hope your Mum is well:hug:
We're here for you:hug:
And to answers your questions (my grandma thought she had breast cancer):
1. Don't think so.
2. Of course.
3. Any type of cancer is dangerous if not discovered early.

nightwishgirl84
15-12-09, 16:33
Hope your mother is okay :hug:

Apofiss
15-12-09, 16:48
Could be useful; chrysanthemum herb's tea helps to block mutated (cancer's) cells.

Love2Raid
15-12-09, 19:12
So I was talking to my sister, and apparently my mum went to a breast cancer screening, and has been called back for tomorrow. Knowing so damn little, I'm trying to stay optimistic.

1. Not sure, sorry. But I think here in Holland no news means good news. When someone is called back it means they have seen something. Still this could be anything, from completely harmless to cancer (breast tissue is can be very irregular which makes it hard to distinguish benign from malign lesions). So then a woman will be referred to the radiologist who makes another mammogram (and an echo of the breast and can do a needle biopsy to get cells if he/she is still unsure of the nature of the lesion that is seen). So right now it could be anything.

2. Yes of course. It really depends on the size and nature of the tumor how they will remove it and if hormonal therapy, chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy is indicated.

3. It all has to do with the stage of the disease at presentation. If you caught it early, there is a good chance you can get rid of it forever. If you are unlucky and the tumor has already spread to other organs, the outcome is worse. This goes for all types of cancer. The difference is that some types of cancer are notorious of spreading really early, like melanoma. Other types of cancer are notorious for causing symptoms when they are really advanced, like cancer of the pancreas tail and ovaries.

So in conclusion, right now they probably have seen something, but that doesn't mean it's bad. A big portion of the things that are found at screening turn out to be completely harmless. Mentally it's always tough, so support her. I hope she will be okay. :)

juicybubble
15-12-09, 20:25
cancer is bad :mad:

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 20:32
i wouldnt worry sweetie, the doctors will do all they can. my aunty has had breat cancer and survived it - and is now fit and healthy.
cancer can also miraculously disapear - in the case of my uncle.

She may need to have a breast removed, or the cancer may spread in the worst case sceneario - but breat cancer is usually treated safely and the patient continues to live a happy life.

xxxxxxxxxx

scion05
15-12-09, 21:43
If it is the worst, then just keep positive... look at people like Kylie, she's overcome it and is now stronger than ever :)

Dustie
15-12-09, 22:11
Also, not every bump, spot, or changes in the tissue are always cancer. Even if your mother was called back, it might be something, but not necessarily serious.

star-dust
15-12-09, 22:33

Hey, I hope your mom is okay. :hug: When I was 8 my mom had breast cancer (I am 18 now) and we've talked about it quite a bit... I can answer your questions the best I can for what my mom had to endure.

1.) My mom was called when her results came in, (I think it took a few day, not 100% sure), they wanted her to come back in for more tests. They found out what it was and called my mom into the doctor's office as soon as she could make it.

2.) My mom found her lump herself. Her lump was removed and so far she has been lump free for almost 11 years now.

3.) I don't know the answer to this, but I'd say yes... I've heard statistics are high for this cancer and if gone untreated it can be fatal.

Hope I helped. :)
:hug: :hug:

scion05
15-12-09, 22:43
Also, not every bump, spot, or changes in the tissue are always cancer. Even if your mother was called back, it might be something, but not necessarily serious.

Exactly.

I remember being really scared because I had a lump undernearth my skin on my chest, and even though I'm a male I decided to go and get it checked. It was actually totally normal and went away in time :)

Dustie
15-12-09, 23:00
Exactly.

I remember being really scared because I had a lump undernearth my skin on my chest, and even though I'm a male I decided to go and get it checked. It was actually totally normal and went away in time :)

When I was 11 years old or so, I felt a lump underneath my right cheek, that I could move around a bit. It was the most awkward feeling to touch and feel it. I was terrified and I told my mother, but it was just my tonsil that happened to be like that :)

Helegad
16-12-09, 02:30
Thank you everyone for your support. I really appreciate it :hug:

My mum called my sister back (another thing; why hasn't she said anything to me about it?), and she's getting some test results back soon. Maybe a second test? I dunno.

Also, can it be caused by smoking? My mum smoked until she was in her early to mid-40s.