PDA

View Full Version : Gerontophobia

Siberian Tiger
15-12-09, 14:56
So I've been speaking to a friend of mine on the forums about great music from previous decades and what it would've been like to live during those times. Then the conversation turned to growing older and looking back on the present time...

Gerontophobia is the fear of ageing, becoming elderly and the elderly themselves. I'd like to think this type of fear is as common as fear of heights, spiders and small spaces, but for all I know some people may feel passive about growing old for multiple reasons. Even though I'm still young, I've always said one of my biggest fears is becoming old.

The elderly are sometimes described as too proud and I can see why, because I know I'd feel immensely frustrated if my mental and physical ability was hindered in any way, resulting in needed assistance. Then there's a regress in language capability; younger members of society tend to speak to the elderly in a different manner, much like a method of motherese (baby talk). Although the vocabulary will be different (you're not going to say "do you want your blankie" to an elderly person, right?), you will find yourself talking to them at a slower space, a higher pitch and perhaps patronising in tone.

The thought of becoming part of that social category scares the living daylight out of me, to be sensationalist. I'm only 20 going on 21, but I've harboured this fear for years which is why I know it's a genuine phobia of mine. It makes me reflect and think those motivational phrases "live every day like it's your last" and "live life to the fool" should be taken more seriously. Granted you can't do everything every day, but I'd hate to get to a certain age in life, look back and go "damn, what the **** did I do with my youth?"

Anyone share a similar feeling? It's not a particularly enlightening subject, but it feels slightly relieving to share this.

Aranara
15-12-09, 15:01
I'm 13 and I asked once this question to myself. But then again, I never were a gentle person, so when I will be old and people will baby talk me, I will baby talk them until they will speak to me properly!!

Psychos'Я'Us
15-12-09, 15:06
I told you how I feel on MSN lol. It's one of my biggest fears, the thought of looking in the mirror and seeing a shadow of my former self scares the **** out of me. All the memories would eat me alive aswell :(
To be honest, I could live with people "baby talking" me but I just couldn't live with myself.

Chocola teapot
15-12-09, 15:06
I'm frightened of dying, as alot of people are.
I'm quite fightened of aging.

robm_2007
15-12-09, 15:18
well, i am more frightened of dying.

but for aging, maybe a bit.

since ive never looked like my age; at 14, people thought i was 10; at 16, ppl thought i was 12; at 18, people thought that i was 14. so, i usually i looked 4 years younger. it would always annoy the **** out of me. but at like 17, i didnt get bothered by it anymore, and actually realized it could be cool to look younger. now that im 20 (almost 21) people think im 17 or 18. and the other day, a woman on the bus asked me how old i was, and i said i turn 21 in March. and she said, "oh, i thought you were 18 or 19."

and i thought, "OMG, i do?":(
lol

Chocola teapot
15-12-09, 15:24

since ive never looked like my age; at 14, people thought i was 10; at 16, ppl thought i was 12; at 18, people thought that i was 14. so, i usually i looked 4 years younger. it would always annoy the **** out of me. but at like 17, i didnt get bothered by it anymore, and actually realized it could be cool to look younger. now that im 20 (almost 21) people think im 17 or 18. and the other day, a woman on the bus asked me how old i was, and i said i turn 21 in March. and she said, "oh, i thought you were 18 or 19."

lol

Let's say, You're 40

Random person "How old are you?" You "40"
"I thought you were 30 something!"

:)

Aranara
15-12-09, 15:25
@robm_2007: I'm small too:jmp:
And I like it that way. And I look kind of like a person who will never hurt you. And you are wrong.
They think I'm mini and stuff like that. Well, I'm fast:D so it doesn't matter if I'm small:D

Drone
15-12-09, 15:27
"Why are we dying to live, when were living to die"

woody543
15-12-09, 15:32
Definitley scared of getting old, I don't want to get to the point where I can't look after myself...

I would say I am more scared of growing old than of dying.

corey01
15-12-09, 15:44
D'aww Nick bb! :(

I'll never age! :ohn: I'll have cosmetic surgery if i have too!:p:)

robm_2007
15-12-09, 15:46
Let's say, You're 40

Random person "How old are you?" You "40"
"I thought you were 30 something!"

:)

its not that i was insulted so much. it was just that i grew accustomed to ppl thinking that i was younger. younger than the woman on the bus had thought. when she said i looked 18 or 19, she suddenly made me older, so to speak. i dont really feel my age; i started feeling "old" when i turned 20; yet, i dont consider my self to be an adult yet. im like a 20 year old boy. but, i dont feel like a kid either.

@robm_2007: I'm small too:jmp:
And I like it that way. And I look kind of like a person who will never hurt you. And you are wrong.
They think I'm mini and stuff like that. Well, I'm fast:D so it doesn't matter if I'm small:D

well, in school i was always short and skinny. in:
9th grade, age 14-15, 4'11", 80 lbs
10th grade, age 15-16, 5'1", 100 lbs.
11th grade, age 16-17, 5'5", 115 lbs.
12 grade, age 17-18, 5'6", 125 lbs.
now im 20, 5'7", 145 lbs.--
i really dont know why i remember those stats, lol. i even remeber the shirt i wore on the first day of school, second grade.

im short for a guy, but im one of the "Tall" people in my family. they often will come get me to reach something they can't, and i come to help with what they need, and i would have to be at least 5'10" to reach what they wanted, lol.

but, ppl wouldnt see me as a person that wouldnt hurt you, like ppl see you. probably because i would swear often, not in an mad or angry manner, though. i would just use it casually in every other sentence. so, ppl thought that i was crazy or a serial killer, but it was all in good fun. im so digressing, but: whenever i would be writing something in class, that wasnt related to that class, ppl would ask me "What are you writing?", and would say, "I'm updating my Hit List." :p

just dont be a man that gets so much surgery, that you look unhuman-like, or even like a grandma

or a woman that gets so much done, that Joan Rivers would come and tell you "You have a problem with plastic surgery."

i am totally for plastic surgery/botox, only if its to make you feel better about your self. many ppl get just a bit too much, and actually hate how they made themselves. i think its gross when women who are 60, try to look 40, and they end up looking like porcelain cats or something.

Dennis's Mom
15-12-09, 15:56
Growing old beats the hell out of the alternative. ;)

Encore
15-12-09, 16:02
I don't like the prospect of getting old either. But for me it's not because of the process itself, more because of what comes with it - mainly, loneliness. I'm a very lonely person and I most likely will not be married, and I think that it's fine while I'm young and active, but it will be very depressing to grow old and retire this way. Whenever I see stories of old people who have no one left in the world to be with them, I feel terribly sad and depressed for them. I would never want to live a life like that. I'd prefer to die young.

Catapharact
15-12-09, 16:21
I personally am looking forward to age gracefully in my years. If I turn out anything as good as my father or my grandfather then I say bring it on! Lol! Seriously it adds a touch of distinction and its a more solomn period of time upon which one can still be healthy but show the marks and signs of progress.

Evan C.
15-12-09, 16:25
I love to get old :)
It's the cycle of life.Death is just another way.

corey01
15-12-09, 16:28
i am totally for plastic surgery/botox, only if its to make you feel better about your self. many ppl get just a bit too much, and actually hate how they made themselves. i think its gross when women who are 60, try to look 40, and they end up looking like porcelain cats or something.

haha, I would never make myself look like that. Im talking about minor Plastic surgery like, facelift, etc.. :) but im only 17 lmfao. I hope I age well!

Siberian Tiger
15-12-09, 16:33
I told you how I feel on MSN lol. It's one of my biggest fears, the thought of looking in the mirror and seeing a shadow of my former self scares the **** out of me. All the memories would eat me alive aswell :(
To be honest, I could live with people "baby talking" me but I just couldn't live with myself.
Oh I know it's gonna **** me off. I'll go Uma Thurman's Beatrix on them!

lol
Well that's good. At least you weren't being told "Oh, I thought you were about 22" at the age of 18. It was always "not in a bad way". :p

You're totally going to become a botox *****, Corey. Work et.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 18:39
Definitley scared of getting old, I don't want to get to the point where I can't look after myself...

I would say I am more scared of growing old than of dying.

agreed, im weak enough as it is now - im scared to think how fragile and helpless i'll be. hopefully im so much of a danger-magnet something will finish me off before i get what we all would consider as 'old' :o

Immortalis08
15-12-09, 18:45
I don't like the prospect of getting old either. But for me it's not because of the process itself, more because of what comes with it - mainly, loneliness. I would never want to live a life like that. I'd prefer to die young.

This is exactly how I feel. In addition to that, I tend to act in a youthful childlike manner as a way of keeping the child within me alive. Another reason that I fear aging is because as the youngest, I'm more or less doomed to see my entire family die before me. I think that when I do grow old (a future I do not want to envision) I'm going to keep myself busy and travel with the thought that the people that left me behind can live again through me. I'm also going to hate not being able to be as physically active as I was in youth. But mainly, I'm scared of regrets.

Love2Raid
15-12-09, 18:46
I am not exactly afraid of ageing, but I am not looking forward to it either. Just discovered my first grey hair today, wasn't very happy about it. :/

Ilie_Fusarau
I can relate , I am quite scared of "growing old" , especially of the thoughts that I wasted all my youth :mad: , but the thing is eventually everyone gets old and dies , so in the end it doesn't really matter what you did with your life , if you wasted or lived it to the fullest .

AmericanAssassin
The idea of getting past 30 scares the hell out of me. I'm still in search for the elixir or life. :p

Ilie_Fusarau
15-12-09, 18:49
The idea of getting past 30 scares the hell out of me. I'm still in search for the elixir or life. :p
:vlol: Good luck !:p I think even if you managed to somehow be young forever you wouldn't enjoy it , at least I know I wouldn't (imagine all your loved ones dying while you are still young and kickin' :p) .

Marianna12
15-12-09, 18:52
I'm really afraid of getting old, yes:(
I don't really care about how will I look in the age of 60-70! It doesn't matter, seriously!
But I'm afraid of regretting things I didn't do when I was younger, plus I don't want to see my family/close friends dying! This really scares the hell out of me!

Lee croft
15-12-09, 18:54
"Why are we dying to live, when were living to die"

because thats life, its what you do inbetween been given life and death that matters

Love2Raid
15-12-09, 18:55
But I'm afraid of regretting things I didn't do when I was younger, plus I don't want to see my family/close friends dying! This really scares the hell out of me!

Yes that's indeed not a pleasant thing to think about.

scion05
15-12-09, 18:56
I'm really afraid of getting old, yes:(
I don't really care about how will I look in the age of 60-70! It doesn't matter, seriously!

Me too. I love all of my friends and family so much, I don't know how I'd react if any of them were to die, or be in the process of dying. Horrible. My sister fainted the other day and we went to the hospital, and even that scared me. She was unconscious for literally about 3 seconds.

I have a relative who sits there in her living room and basically laments about everything that's happened in her life lol, it's bizzare.

Marianna12
15-12-09, 18:58
Yes that's indeed not a pleasant thing to think about.

Me too. I love all of my friends and family so much, I don't know how I'd react if any of them were to die, or be in the process of dying. Horrible. My sister fainted the other day and we went to the hospital, and even that scared me. She was unconscious for literally about 3 seconds.

I know! I just think that I can't live without them, that I'm going to kill myself if something like that happens!

ShadyCroft
15-12-09, 19:05
Hmmm, I'm not so sure if that's what I fear. What I fear regarding getting older is not getting older in particular, but its more like waking up one day and realizing the time's flown so fast and how little I have done.
I'm not so sure if they're the same.

Dying is also something I fear, and it co-relates to what I said. Dying means that you'll no longer be able to do more. Its over. At least there's no guarantee of otherwise (after life, etc).

EgyptianSoul
15-12-09, 19:07
We begin to die when we are born. It's an inevitable part of life just like aging.

I must say that I'm afraid of getting old. I'm afraid of the loneliness, helplessness and sickness.

As I've already once said, I'd rather die when I'm still in good shape and in control of myself. Things like dementia scare the **** out of me.

TombOfRaiders
15-12-09, 19:11
I'm 13, but the things that are most frightening which most people don't realize is:

-Smoking
-Booze Drinking
-Drugs

They can shorten your lifespan, making you die younger. Also, getting yourself thrown in prison is throwing your life away.

I think I've got another...80 years? To go yet, so I'm not too fussed about ageing at all until I get to 30-40. And for those who are frighten of dying...blame Adam for eating the apple of the tree after God said, "Don't eat the Apple!" Which then made a thing called "Death".

Drone
15-12-09, 19:12
because thats life, its what you do inbetween been given life and death that matters

I concur. Sometimes life is easier than we thought of it.

Love2Raid
15-12-09, 19:15
It's not death, it's the process of 'decay' if I may call it that. Becoming weaker, memory loss, losing even the ability to wipe your own ass. Things like that. And seeing all things and people you love decay as well. Everything around you changes so fast but you can't keep up any longer.

Lee croft
15-12-09, 19:20
I never said its easy i just said how we view life is what shapes it if you stay in a protective bubble and be someone your not life will just waste away, burst the bubble and be yourself and take control of your life because lets face it life on auto pilot sucks.

patriots88888
15-12-09, 19:24
Don't worry, be happy. :) If the Mayans are correct, we'll never have to find out anyways. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 19:26
Don't worry, be happy. :) If the Mayans are correct, we'll never have to find out anyways. :p

I think I'd actually prefer that to growing old, i feel so sorry for my grandma; it must be so dehumanising for my family to baby her and to not be able to walk. I would miss my freedom - imagine not being able to run/cycle/swim - to be a human.

Im a free-sprited person - if my freedom got taken away I would want to die; if you can't enjoy life, why live it? yeah family needs to be considered but it must be so terrible :(

Laras Backpack
15-12-09, 19:29
I'm also anxious about aging because my physical and mental wellbeing is important to me. I hate the idea of not being able to look after myself or manage basic things like washing or going to the shops. I don't expect to be running marathons at 60 (though some have managed such a thing) but I want to maintain my dignity.

juicybubble
15-12-09, 19:32
Im afraid of growing up too
im in high school next year allready! D:
It seems like i was just in kittygarden
It seems like im going to have to get a job soon! D:
NOOOOO
then ill never have as much time on my hands as i do now.

tranniversary119
15-12-09, 19:33
I'm more afraid of what's to come in my future years, like what I'll be doing for a career and who I'll be spending the rest of my life with. I guess in a way I'm very scared of growing old, but it's a natural fear that almost everyone has...like heights, dying, clowns, spiders, etc.

Because everyone's afraid of the unknown...what will I look like? How will I act? When will I die? Will I be mean? And so on.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 19:34
Im afraid of growing up too
im in high school next year allready! D:
It seems like i was just in kittygarden
It seems like im going to have to get a job soon! D:
NOOOOO
then ill never have as much time on my hands as i do now.

Dont worry - im in my last year at high school and you will still have free time - we get frees where we have free time and you soemtimes finish school early in sixth form.

It sucks to grow up - im still very childish but tbh im proud.

patriots88888
15-12-09, 19:40
I think I'd actually prefer that to growing old, i feel so sorry for my grandma; it must be so dehumanising for my family to baby her and to not be able to walk. I would miss my freedom - imagine not being able to run/cycle/swim - to be a human.

Im a free-sprited person - if my freedom got taken away I would want to die; if you can't enjoy life, why live it? yeah family needs to be considered but it must be so terrible :(

It raises an interesting question. Would you prefer to live a full life (approx. 80 years) in lonliness and generally without any significant happiness or live just 20 years of the happiest and most fulfilling life you could imagine?

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 19:42
It raises an interesting question. Would you prefer to live a full life (approx. 80 years) in lonliness and generally without any significant happiness or live just 20 years of the happiest and most fulfilling life you could imagine?

id want to live til i was about 40 and then die in my sleep, to me thats perfect.

patriots88888
15-12-09, 19:43
id want to live til i was about 40 and then die in my sleep, to me thats perfect.

Yea, but that wasn't one of the choices. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 19:43
Yea, but that wasn't one of the choices. :p

die young then :ton:

McGloomy
15-12-09, 19:55
I'm not afraid of aging at all, but thinking about Death itself gives me panic attacks.

Punaxe
16-12-09, 00:28
While I too of course very much dislike the idea of once becoming weak and fragile (or worse), this is not something I really actively fear. I will take it as and when it comes.
What I do currently really look forward to is the time before that, the time of having a job and settling down and stuff. :p This is still in the future for me, but I'd like it to start sooner rather than later. In that sense, I fear quite the opposite of what this thread is about: I fear for extending my "youth" more than is necessary.

TRhalloween
16-12-09, 00:34
Olds might find this offensive :p

Rai
16-12-09, 00:35

die young then :ton:

I hate it when young people say things like this. My sister would say stuff like that. My sister said she would prefer to die before she hit 40 - and she did. She died shortly after turning 37. The age I am now. :(

On a lighter note: You do realise that people in their 40s can still be very young hearted and active? You life isn't over when you hit 40. At least it had better not be, i intend to enjoy life way over that. I do worry about getting older, true, but I still think if you live well and do the best to stay active and healthy, you can live to a ripe old age and still be reasonably sprightly. It is up to you what and how you do with your life - all the way into old age.

mau3genius
16-12-09, 00:39
Growing old is not something that scares me, but I'm not looking forward to it at all. But, the weird thing is that, although I'm not fond of "being old", I'd love to live as long as I can. So yeah, it's kinda contradictory :p

da tomb raider!
16-12-09, 00:54
Not really. As long as I'm not mentally or severely physically ill or some such, I don't mind aging. Sure, I might need some help doing pretty much everything when I'm 99, but hey, that's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned! I wouldn't be able to participate in my favourite activities in six decades time, I'm sure (no Sega Saturn for me!), but at the very least, I should be able to spend some time with my family and reflect on my many memories, which is rather appealing to me.

Besides, it's not like it happens suddenly. It's something one grows accustomed to. Going from teenage to elderly in one day would probably be pretty horrific, but since, in reality, it happens over many decades, I imagine that it's not that bad. As for dignity, I don't think one loses it just because they need help to do things. Of course not.

Having said all of this, I'm awfully afraid of death (or rather, the unknown about death - I strongly believe in an afterlife, but since I don't actually know what it's all about, it's rather intimidating. But that's for another topic...), so that probably sways my opinion on this matter.

asherz
16-12-09, 01:01
I'm frightened of dying, as alot of people are.
I'm quite fightened of aging.

Thisss

miss.haggard
16-12-09, 01:16
I hate it when young people say things like this. My sister would say stuff like that. My sister said she would prefer to die before she hit 40 - and she did. She died shortly after turning 37. The age I am now. :(

On a lighter note: You do realise that people in their 40s can still be very young hearted and active? You life isn't over when you hit 40. At least it had better not be, i intend to enjoy life way over that. I do worry about getting older, true, but I still think if you live well and do the best to stay active and healthy, you can live to a ripe old age and still be reasonably sprightly. It is up to you what and how you do with your life - all the way into old age.

I agree, I certaintly dont look forward to growing old, but thats not saying I want to die when Im 40! I want to see my family grow up, I dont want to leave them behind being selfish because for whatever reason I didnt want to live.

Just seems silly and immature to say things like that.

Eddie Haskell
16-12-09, 01:16
It seems like yesterday that I was a 20-something, hell bent for leather and going to change the world. I do not in any way feel like I am a half-century old (totally apart from my injuries of course), in many ways I feel the same as I did 25 years ago. da tomb raider is correct, aging is something that is so gradual you don't take any notice of it really.

I was in spectacular shape for my age when I went down the last time in combat, and since the injuries were life threatening and crippled me I will never recover from them completely. If not for this I would still be working out and maintaining a very active lifestyle. I eat right, take many supplements and do my physical therapy every day. But because I am inactive most of the time, I have really put on weight. I have developed other complications that bug the **** out of me, but I then again I could be dead right now.

I have faced death twice and won. I did not fear death as a young man, and I do not fear it now. Getting "old" does not frighten me either, although I doubt I'll make it into my 80's anyway. And for those of you who consider 50 old, all I can say is :vlol:

Catapharact
16-12-09, 02:30
I hate it when young people say things like this.

I am going to go as far as calling them cowards.

I swear I hate it when people say that I have to respect opinions such as these from people who really have no idea what the "word" responsibility is. I am supposed to respect such blatent display of immaturity and lax view on life? Does life's value means so little to people that they would let minor barriers like age get to them? Speaks volumes about their values of life and important things.

EgyptianSoul
16-12-09, 02:47
You have no right to judge anyones opinions and personal values.

Calling other people cowards makes you look like you think you are above the rest of us.

Catapharact
16-12-09, 02:54
You have no right to judge anyones opinions and personal values.

Calling other people cowards makes you look like you think you are above the rest of us.

What would you call someone who thinks so little of their own life to say that they would want to die young; Without even caring about what impact it would leave on the people around them? I find such statements so disrespectful towards parents. Your parents brought you into this world; They worked hard to see to it that you live long and happy and this is how you repay them?! By telling them that your life means so little to you that you would rather want to die young?!

I am sorry but such values aren't worth respect.

EgyptianSoul
16-12-09, 03:06
I'll just say that you have no idea about the reasons some of us feel and think the way we do. You don't know what we've been through in our lives.

I certainly don't respect your judgmental attitude either.

Catapharact
16-12-09, 03:10
You do not want me to bring up comparitive examples because I can assure you; Your "experiences" cannot compare to that of orphans scratching a living by collecting garbage and using cardboard boxes as shealters; Yet they have the will to live and hope for a brighter future for themselves...

So please... Spare me the "you don't know what I have been through" anicdote.

Shark_Blade
16-12-09, 03:28
On a lighter note: You do realise that people in their 40s can still be very young hearted and active? You life isn't over when you hit 40. Indeed, look at Michael Jackson. He can still dance furiously and in control even in his 50. Well, he died shortly after that but he was alive and kicking before he went.

On topic, I think we should all embrace it and go through it with our head held high. We've all been through baby steps, puberty and what not, and the journey will continue on.

EgyptianSoul
16-12-09, 03:28
You do not want me to bring up comparitive examples because I can assure you; Your "experiences" cannot compare to that of orphans scratching a living by collecting garbage and using cardboard boxes as shealters; Yet they have the will to live and hope for a brighter future for themselves...

Fine.

I know that there are people who are barely surviving day to day and it's astounding how some have the strength to hope to find the light even when there's nothing but darkness around them.

Nothing can be compared to such suffering. But it still doesn't mean that any other problems in life are unsignificant.

Catapharact
16-12-09, 03:35
Nothing can be compared to such suffering. But it still doesn't mean that any other problems in life are unsignificant.

The word is "insignificant" and you have more resources and means to overcome such afflictions then those who are unfortunate enough to not have their basic needs being met on a daily basis. If you lack the motivation then I suppose you need to stipped down of your blessings and forced to live the life of those who are less fortunate. I suppose that will be a good "kick in the butt" wake up call.

EgyptianSoul
16-12-09, 03:49
The word is "insignificant" and you have more resources and means to overcome such afflictions then those who are unfortunate enough to not have their basic needs being met on a daily basis. If you lack the motivation then I suppose you need to stipped down of your blessings and forced to live the life of those who are less fortunate. I suppose that will be a good "kick in the butt" wake up call.

You just had to punish me for one misspelled word huh. ;)

You know nothing about me and I will not tolerate you saying such things to me.

I've got to go now. You have your opinions and I have mine, so let's agree to disagree.

Catapharact
16-12-09, 03:55
Hey I get tagged for it all the time ;). And if we are going to agree to disagree then my opinion stands as it is obviously and I will hold on to it thankyou very much.

scoopy_loopy
16-12-09, 07:54
I do NOT want to age. It scares the living daylight out of me, just the thought of it!

But when I eventually do, I hope Im not one of those gross old men! I hope Im atleast a "nice old grandpa" type, old person :tea:

Megalith
16-12-09, 08:48
Some of the opinions in this thread scare me more than death/growing old.:p

Psychos'Я'Us
16-12-09, 09:10
Lol, I honestly don't give a **** what anyone calls me or what they think, I don't want to grow old and lose my mental and physical abilities, not to mention my looks. I don't really care about anyone else, at the end of the day I'll have to live like that.
Call me a coward, call me immature, call me vain, it won't make me feel bad but it might make you feel better that.

Punaxe
16-12-09, 11:29

I wonder though if such comparative examples are valid. This sounds like an easy way out, but I would say it's all relative. The human mind has extrodinary adaptability. For orphans losing one day's meal may be psychologically comparable to other people having a bad hair day. Sure, objectively speaking, one is impossibly more problematic than the other, but when talking about how these people themselves feel about it, you are talking about the impact the issues make on those who have already adapted to those circumstances. If you grow up to be a spoiled brat, you will hate not having your dress in the exact colour you ordered it (as unfortunately proven time and time again by MTV's cringeworthy show Sweet 16); if you grow up as a homeless person, you may not even be bothered all that much to skip a lunch.
So... While these examples may work wonders to give people some perspective in general, I wouldn't be so quick to say it means that other, "lesser" setbacks simply don't measure up. It's the psychological impact that counts.

LightningRider
16-12-09, 11:32
If I do Die, I do intend to leave with a mark, and as the kick ass ***** everyone loves.

I mean, I'm 14, writing a book, hoping to be a photographer, I don't know what to do, but I'm waiting for it. :cool:

digitizedboy
16-12-09, 11:39
Well.. I'm not going to live to a pensioners age and that's a fact. But I think what scares me most about age is seeing others around you growing old, especially loved ones. :(

maniakatosheto
16-12-09, 12:01
That used to be a factor for me too ... but not anymore.. I don't have anything to lose i'm not afraid of death and here's picture proof! http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1880/8423183/22808103/379671133.jpg :vlol:
Note the gun ain't real XD

robm_2007
16-12-09, 15:12
haha, I would never make myself look like that. Im talking about minor Plastic surgery like, facelift, etc.. :) but im only 17 lmfao. I hope I age well!

since when is a facelift "minor plastic surgery"?

since i cant tell by your username if you are male or female,:o, men generally look bad with face lifts. women look usually good if they get one face lift.

its one thing to get a facelift and look moderatley natural, but to get one and it be so obvious that you got one (two or three), that would totally blow your cover.

hopefully, by the time you feel that you need plastic surgery, ppl's life expectancy will be much higher than it is now, and ppl will be in their 70's before they feel the need to get a little nip/tuck.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-12-09, 15:16

over 50 then, im far too scared of being weaker than i am now and having no freedom. Its not that im gonna look old - my family genetics are pretty good in that department - it truly is the pain and suffering you have to endure; and the sense of helplessness.

im sorry hunni, thast just how i think :hug: I understand perfectly where you're coming from though x

Catapharact
16-12-09, 15:19
I wonder though if such comparative examples are valid. This sounds like an easy way out, but I would say it's all relative. The human mind has extrodinary adaptability. For orphans losing one day's meal may be psychologically comparable to other people having a bad hair day. Sure, objectively speaking, one is impossibly more problematic than the other, but when talking about how these people themselves feel about it, you are talking about the impact the issues make on those who have already adapted to those circumstances. If you grow up to be a spoiled brat, you will hate not having your dress in the exact colour you ordered it (as unfortunately proven time and time again by MTV's cringeworthy show Sweet 16); if you grow up as a homeless person, you may not even be bothered all that much to skip a lunch.
So... While these examples may work wonders to give people some perspective in general, I wouldn't be so quick to say it means that other, "lesser" setbacks simply don't measure up. It's the psychological impact that counts.

But now we are talking relitivism and people are so prone to jump on the "we are all equal!" mentality when it comes to class differences, experiences and and attitudes. As such, I choose to disregard relitivism on grounds of class differences and different psyc. impacts due to it. If some people are slow to adapt to a certain circumstance then they need to draw upon circumstances of those who have suffered through more tramatic situations and learn from them. That should help as a gradient for you to measure upon your situation compared to others.

jackles
16-12-09, 16:03
Shall I just go and shoot myself now then?

Nothing much to fear about getting older, part of life....and really being young isn't always what it is cracked up to be...

car insurance for example......................:cln:

Drone
16-12-09, 16:08
Face can get old, hair can turn gray and teeth can decay but it's natural, as long as your soul is young and someone needs you you shouldn't be afraid of anything :)

Croft_Original
16-12-09, 18:15

Nothing much to fear about getting older, part of life....and really being young isn't always what it is cracked up to be...

Yep;):D EDIT: I mean to the car insurance, not shooting yourself.;)

Although...I still fear false teeth.:eek::p

Croft.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-12-09, 20:52

haha car insurance is coming up for me :o whoop de doo :ton: