PDA

View Full Version : The Inheritance Books :)

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 19:51
Anyone else a fan? So far theres Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr

In my opinion they are beautifully written and the friendship between Saphira and Eragon is so sweet - the characters are so easy to relate to

Theres also a new guide to Eragon been released which I have my eye on :cln:

xxxxxx

If you havn't yet read them and are interested in trying something new book-wise I'd really suggest these :) They remind me of lord of the rings in a way due to the races being divided into humans, elfs, dwarfs and dragons.
The story follows a young boy named Eragon (15 when the novel starts); who finds a dragon egg - which hatches into a dragon who shares his thoughts. The dragons are almost extinct - due to Galbotorix, an evil ruler.

Theres also a game and movie adaptation - neither gives a true representation of the books - although the game is really fun :hug:
xx

Cochrane
15-12-09, 20:08
I've read them all, but to be honest, mainly (if not only) to make fun of them. I find them highly derivative, at times rather badly written, with a rather boring story, but they're so good that it's fun to read them again just so you can laugh about it. Flame away! :D

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 20:10
I've read them all, but to be honest, mainly (if not only) to make fun of them. I find them highly derivative, at times rather badly written, with a rather boring story, but they're so good that it's fun to read them again just so you can laugh about it. Flame away! :D

:o to be fair paolini wrote eragon when he was young

why do you read books to make fun of them? :confused:

Cochrane
15-12-09, 20:13
:o to be fair paolini wrote eragon when he was young
He wrote Eldest and Brisingr when he was older, though.

why do you read books to make fun of them? :confused:
Er… why not? :confused: It's just fun to do so.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 20:14

Er… why not? :confused: It's just fun to do so.

yeah i know he did; and i dunno i just find that weird :ton:
did you like none of it? x

ShadyCroft
15-12-09, 20:19
I love series like that with some world created by the author, characters and stories, like the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, so this one is another one I got my eyes on.
I got Eragon but I haven't got around to reading it. Is it THAT good ?

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 20:20
I love series like that with some world created by the author, characters and stories, like the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, so this one is another one I got my eyes on.
I got Eragon but I haven't got around to reading it. Is it THAT good ?

its one of my favourite book series - as are lotr and harry potter.

you'd have to judge it for yourself but in my opinion they're amazing x

if you enjoyed reading lord of the rings and didnt find that boring then im sure you'll like it x

Ada the Mental
15-12-09, 20:34
I've read the first two book and I also find them badly-written and extremely predictable. Not to mention that Eragon and Arya are very unlikeable.

I didn't like the second book at all, however, the first one is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I'll get around reading Brisingr when I have nothing else to read.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 20:40
I've read the first two book and I also find them badly-written and extremely predictable. Not to mention that Eragon and Arya are very unlikeable.

I didn't like the second book at all, however, the first one is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I'll get around reading Brisingr when I have nothing else to read.

i HATED arya lol but eragon :( i can relate to him sooo much

ShadyCroft
15-12-09, 20:43
if you enjoyed reading lord of the rings and didnt find that boring then im sure you'll like it

I certainly enjoyed the Lord of the Rings and did not find it boring...well, not all the times that is. The parts with only the Hobbits sometimes were dull but picked up at parts. :) I enjoyed it very much though.

Will read this one then as soon as possible.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-12-09, 20:45
I certainly enjoyed the Lord of the Rings and did not find it boring...well, not all the times that is. The parts with only the Hobbits sometimes were dull but picked up at parts. :) I enjoyed it very much though.

Will read this one then as soon as possible.

aww well im very glad to hear that, please tell me your thoughts on it once you've read it xxx

ShadyCroft
15-12-09, 21:53
will do surely. ;)

Shark_Blade
15-12-09, 23:41
I'm intrigued with the books though..was it really good? :pi:

Cochrane
16-12-09, 14:21
I'm intrigued with the books though..was it really good? :pi:

I think you can see that it is very polarizing. Some like it, some really don't. I'm in the latter camp. I wrote a lot about that (in particular about the third book) a while back, if anyone is interested: http://ferroequinologist.de/blog/2008/10/Brisingr+stuff

xXhayleyroxXx
16-12-09, 15:09
hmm sorry i agree with nothing you wrote in your blog - he doesn't 'drop' being vegetarian - circumstance arises that he 'needs' to eat meat because its the only nutritious source of food available in that location.

Also, Arya hardly loves Eragon, she cant stand him :ton: They cant be together because he'll die before her.
And I don't really get how Eragon and Saphira are stupid... without them the whole of alagaesia would be ruined . They makes mistakes to show nobody is perfect and that when you're young you don't have a lot of wisdom and need to learn a lot - a moral a lot of stories have
I'd expect he named his sword Brisingr because the metal shines red, also Saphira breathes fire and he wants the name to not remind him of his previous owner. So it's a little predictable but to be fair if someone asks him what his swords called he's not gonna want to reel off a long and complicated name.

Cochrane
16-12-09, 15:26
hmm sorry i agree with nothing you wrote in your blog - he doesn't 'drop' being vegetarian - circumstance arises that he 'needs' to eat meat because its the only nutritious source of food available in that location.
It's a long time since I read the book last, so I don't recall the precise details anymore. In particular when it comes to this quote, I'd have to look it up, but as I don't have the book (I borrowed my sister's), I can't comment on that.

Also, Arya hardly loves Eragon, she cant stand him :ton: They cant be together because he'll die before her.
She can't stand him? In the third book, it's getting significantly easier for her. Yes, she does not fully declare her undying love for him, but we all know it's going to happen, and we know see her moving ever closer to that. As for him dying before her, I'll bet you willing to bet almost real money that this is a "problem" that will be "fixed" by the end of the fourth book.

And I don't really get how Eragon and Saphira are stupid... without them the whole of alagaesia would be ruined .
They makes mistakes to show nobody is perfect and that when you're young you don't have a lot of wisdom and need to learn a lot - a moral a lot of stories have
There's a line between being young and unexperienced on the one, and being stupid on the other hand. Eragon should know what it's like to be a military leader in a war zone, but he forgot about even checking the camouflage on the tower, he forgot about the… dead dragon battery thingy when he could have needed them, he holds racist and misogynist views despite seeing how well the others do in combat around him, it's all simply too much.

As I pointed out in that blog post, it does not have to be that way. Nasuada makes her share of mistakes, but nevertheless comes across as strong and intelligent. What is the one smart thing Eragon has done, though?

I'd expect he named his sword Brisingr because the metal shines red, also Saphira breathes fire and he wants the name to not remind him of his previous owner. So it's a little predictable but to be fair if someone asks him what his swords called he's not gonna want to reel off a long and complicated name.
Yada yada yada. He names his sword Fire, and it shoots Fire. If that's not lame, then nothing is. :D

lara c. fan
16-12-09, 15:26

Only a tad older :)

Cochrane
16-12-09, 15:28
Only a tad older :)

Older enough to know better. :D

lara c. fan
16-12-09, 15:30
Older enough to know better. :D

The books were still good. I think I side with Hayley on this mini argument :)

Nemo_91
16-12-09, 15:54
I have only read the first one "Eragon". I wouldn't say that it was a masterpiece but it was pretty good, considering that he wrote it when he was a teenager. There were so many boring moments though.

Cochrane
16-12-09, 18:07
If you think the books were good, then please, explain to me why we went through all the dwarf politics. What was the payoff of that? Another example would be the elves: They are seen as the pinnacle of civilization, but they're pretty racist, only accepting Eragon once he becomes an elf himself (essentially). Coincidentally, this also means that Eragon does not have to overcome any weaknesses: His lower physical strength is conveniently taken away from him. This isn't good storytelling, this is deus ex machina, and Paolini pulls it over and over again. How does Eragon live with the fact that his father is evil? He doesn't, instead the author just declares that his father was someone else.

I don't mind you liking these books at all, but when you say that the books are well written, then you're simply and clearly wrong. If you disagree, then please tell me exactly why I'm wrong on the points I made above.

lara c. fan
16-12-09, 18:12
If you think the books were good, then please, explain to me why we went through all the dwarf politics. What was the payoff of that? Another example would be the elves: They are seen as the pinnacle of civilization, but they're pretty racist, only accepting Eragon once he becomes an elf himself (essentially). Coincidentally, this also means that Eragon does not have to overcome any weaknesses: His lower physical strength is conveniently taken away from him. This isn't good storytelling, this is deus ex machina, and Paolini pulls it over and over again. How does Eragon live with the fact that his father is evil? He doesn't, instead the author just declares that his father was someone else.

I don't mind you liking these books at all, but when you say that the books are well written, then you're simply and clearly wrong. If you disagree, then please tell me exactly why I'm wrong on the points I made above.

Which book did it say tht he had a non-evil father?
Also, the elves were secretive at tht point, they did not want anyone marching in there. They trusted Eragon more afterwards because they realised he would keep them secret.

Encore
16-12-09, 18:20
Speaking of fantasy books, I think there's a troll in this dungeon...

:ton:

ShadyCroft
16-12-09, 19:08
^ I bet its Snape's fault. :pi:

Nenya awakens
16-12-09, 19:19
I love the books, and i own the first 3, I cannot wait until the next one comes out!!

LaraCroftRox
16-12-09, 19:33
Eragon was good, just about got through Eldest it was so dull. Didn't even attempt Brisingr.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-12-09, 20:49
Which book did it say tht he had a non-evil father?
Also, the elves were secretive at tht point, they did not want anyone marching in there. They trusted Eragon more afterwards because they realised he would keep them secret.

might have been eldest - broms his daddy so his name's eragon bromsson :ton: good to see you enjoy the books x

I love the books, and i own the first 3, I cannot wait until the next one comes out!!

:hug:

each to their own opinion i guess but i can't WAIT to re-read them x