PDA

View Full Version : I'm Starting At A University Soon And I Need Some Tips!

AmericanAssassin
19-12-09, 03:34
Okay, so I seriously feel like I'm about to have a panic attack right now. You see, I'm starting at Vincennes University in 20 days. 20 days! I'm going to be living three hours away from my mom in a town where I know absolutely nobody. Zero people. I don't know how to get over my nerves right now. Any tips for that? Any tips for how to get through school successfully? I'm greatful for all help. :o

larafan25
19-12-09, 03:37
holly crap I don't know what to say O.O

congradulations on getting into the university...

ummm... do you have any friends you could coax to go live with you...whether they are going to that school or not?:)

AmericanAssassin
19-12-09, 03:38
No, I'm living in the dormitories with somebody I haven't met yet. :o Plus, most of my friends are already enrolled at other schools...

BoyTRaider
19-12-09, 03:42
Nice! That is always exciting!

Well, first of all, you gotta realize that you are only living 3 hours away from your mom. There are students that go out of state.

So if you think on that perspective, that should already be a plus with your situation.

Just try to embrace the fact that you are going to school to proceed with your education and you will experience a whole new level of responsibility in your life. It will be fun.

Sorta like the first few steps into adulthood. I have a feeling you'll do just fine. :)

larafan25
19-12-09, 03:43
^oh well thats good:)

you won't be alone....

do you know if you go to your dorm before your classes(I'd assume so)

then you could meet your room mate and see if you have any classes together...from their you can meet other people...it won't be as bad as you think...well not bad but nerve racking..............:p

Trigger_happy
19-12-09, 03:46
I've just finished my first uni semester! I'm loving it as well!

A few hints: talk to everybody- even if you wouldn't do so normally. Bring some food and fun with you- both always break the ice! Just prop your room door open and say hi to anyone that walks past.

And remember: everyone is just as nervous so don't feel like your the only worried one. And have fun and be yourself!

AmericanAssassin
19-12-09, 03:54
Well, first of all, you gotta realize that you are only living 3 hours away from your mom. There are students that go out of state.

Yeah, I guess. My brother (who is a year younger) is going to be living 11 hours away starting next fall. :p

Just try to embrace the fact that you are going to school to proceed with your education and you will experience a whole new level of responsibility in your life. It will be fun.

Sorta like the first few steps into adulthood. I have a feeling you'll do just fine. :)

I really hope you're right. I am excited. It's like 50/50 of excitement and nervousness. :o

do you know if you go to your dorm before your classes(I'd assume so)

Yes, I'll be moving in about four days before classes start. Although, the first two days will be scheduling and planning stuff. :)

then you could meet your room mate and see if you have any classes together...from their you can meet other people...it won't be as bad as you think...well not bad but nerve racking..............:p

Meeting people is so freaking hard. :p

A few hints: talk to everybody- even if you wouldn't do so normally. Bring some food and fun with you- both always break the ice! Just prop your room door open and say hi to anyone that walks past.

I'm so shy when it comes to new people. That won't be easy for me at all. :o

And remember: everyone is just as nervous so don't feel like your the only worried one. And have fun and be yourself!

I hate that almost everybody has been there for a semester already and I'm just starting. :pi:

Solice
19-12-09, 05:34
Okay, so I seriously feel like I'm about to have a panic attack right now. You see, I'm starting at Vincennes University in 20 days. 20 days! I'm going to be living three hours away from my mom in a town where I know absolutely nobody. Zero people. I don't know how to get over my nerves right now. Any tips for that? Any tips for how to get through school successfully? I'm greatful for all help. :o

You are starting a grand adventure, keep that in mind. High School pails in compared to the college experience.

Also, most people you meet will also be there for the first time. You will find you will bond with them quickly.

rowanlim
19-12-09, 05:54

Don't panic! Don't worry about it, take a breather, list down what you want to achieve when you're at uni, do some research about the kind of activities you can join while you're there, get to know the local area & people.

Think of it as an adventure & another step in your life. University life is one of the best times in your life, make it as awesome as possible :)

LaraLuvrrr
19-12-09, 06:54
Its normal to be nervous when you first start Uni. Dont worry about making friends. If you make em ok and if you dont it doesnt matter.

I think your mindset is whats creating your anxiety not the Uni itself cuz its perfectly normal to go off to Uni and do the daily grind lol

I say dont fret and just take one thing at a time. Dont let it overpower you know that you have the ability to handle ANYTHING that comes your way :)

I hope it goes well for you! :tmb:

aurora89
19-12-09, 07:41
It's going to be fine! Loads of people (even me, with my crazy health problems, disabilities, and mental/cognitive problems!) do this every single term. <3 It's going to be okay. :) Just remember that everyone is scared and nervous when they first start too. Stay busy so you can't get too homesick, but don't be afraid to call home occasionally if you need it. IM with parents is good too. :) Don't sleep through classes (it feels terrible), unless you have a seriously good reason (sick, etc.).

Just try to make new friends. Most people go away to college in towns/cities/universities where they don't know anyone. :) Before you know it, you'll be eating meals with several different groups of friends and really getting to know people. Some friends you'll keep and some you won't. Just be calm about it. It's nerve-wracking, but it's exciting too! :) FREEDOM FROM PARENTS!!! Hehe. Just don't do anything too crazy-- grades and sanity come first!

tonyme
19-12-09, 07:49
Meeting people and making friends won't be a problem, believe me :) I wish you good luck on this great journey you're about to start, it's gonna be the best, you'll see! :D

Shark_Blade
19-12-09, 09:36
Nothing to worry about. I'll admit it's a bit unnerving to meet new people at first but a few days later, things will be just fine.

marla_biggs
19-12-09, 14:13
Give it a few weeks and you'll settle.

And don't worry, it'll be fun :)

Solice
20-12-09, 02:24
Meeting people and making friends won't be a problem,

That problem starts after college.

AmericanAssassin
20-12-09, 04:22
I'm trying to accept the fact that I'm leaving, but I literally feel sick right now. I've never been under this much stress. :o

just*raidin*tomb
20-12-09, 04:34
I'm limited to give you advice; I'm still a Junior in high school, but I understand how stressful it is to find the college you want to go to and how nerve wrecking it can be. So congrats to you on that! :wve: But if I were in your situation I would jam to some music (preferably WEEZER) and draw. It always helps to calm me down. Watch a funny movie or just do anything that makes you happy. Now as for dealing with the whole thing in 20 days... I don't know what to say...uhhh....just be yourself, be awesome, friends will be made (trust me!), and hang in there! Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS!:D

LegendLost
20-12-09, 04:58
1. College scared the crap outta me, but it honestly is easier than high school. its just more work, but somehow its easier.

2. The other person you're going to live with, they don't know you either. So it's not only you who's nervous.

3. Becoming used to the envorinment is honesrly 100000 times easier than I thought it would have been. It was easier than adjusting to High School.

4. If you're not in a lecture hall class (between 75-200+ students) it feels no diff than high school, minus all the b.s. like raising your hand to go to the bathroom.

5. Over all, my advice, don't panic. College/Universities are so much better than it can really be described as. I'v heard some problems about room mates being annoying, but nothing too major to get scared over. Good luck!

Dennis's Mom
20-12-09, 13:20
Welcome to the most fun you're going to have in your life.:D

You don't believe me yet, but trust me--college is a great time. The best friends you'll ever make will be in college.

Thousands of kids do what you're doing every fall. I'm not trying to belittle your nervousness, but honestly, it works out. Otherwise people wouldn't do it, and people wouldn't remember it so fondly.

Just remember to take care of your business. You're there for school first, but stay on top of that, and let the good times roll.

AmericanAssassin
20-12-09, 21:43
Okay, I'm a little bit less stressed now. Thanks for all of the tips and support. I'm so excited. Still nervous about my roommate, though. I like my space. I'm also a little bit concerned about my coursework. I've decided to only take 12 credit hours my first semester, so I can get into the swing of things. Some of my friends who have already taken a semester scared me a bit. They all said it's a bit harder than they were expecting. I'm already expecting it to be hard. That makes me nervous. :o

Reggie
20-12-09, 21:47
Good luck buddy, I'm sure you're going to have a great time once you're there despite the nerves you've got right now. :)

Dennis's Mom
20-12-09, 23:59
College is where no one cares whether you show up or turn in your work. Who knows how hard your friends are working or if they are even paying attention? My son just finished his first term at school and considered it a cakewalk.

Be a good student. Take care of your business. College is different from high school, but paying attention and trying hard will still get you through.

AmericanAssassin
29-12-09, 20:17
Oh, God. It's only 9 days away. 9 freaking days until my life changes completely. I can't even express my fears right now. I honestly feel as if I'm going to cry from the stress I'm feeling. I hope I'm ready for this. :(

Solice
30-12-09, 01:00
Oh, God. It's only 9 days away. 9 freaking days until my life changes completely. I can't even express my fears right now. I honestly feel as if I'm going to cry from the stress I'm feeling. I hope I'm ready for this. :(

Your going to love all the new found freedom you will have.:jmp:

ivannnnn
30-12-09, 02:04

It's normal. It'll disappear by itself. :)

Tonyrobinson
30-12-09, 03:46
Well I know that I'm at college and loving it. Uni will have to wait until next year though :(

AmericanAssassin
30-12-09, 21:25
Moments like this are when I'm glad I'm leaving. My family is absolutely evil. I hate every last one of these *******s. :cen:

LaraLuvrrr
30-12-09, 21:26
Moments like this are when I'm glad I'm leaving. My family is absolutely evil. I hate every last one of these *******s. :cen:

:(

:hug::hug:

I hate family tension...

CroftGameGirl
30-12-09, 21:32
The only advice that I can give you is this, I hope it helps :):

Keep your work on top, focus on that the most, everything else will just be there, do anything else if you can, if you want and if you have the time; eg, making friends etc.
That way, it'll be harder to go wrong, imo :D

Advice on making friends.... I always think a good first impression really helps :D

AmericanAssassin
07-01-10, 03:02
Oh. My. God. I leave on Friday at 6:00 AM. Tomorrow is my last day home. I'm so ****ing scared, I can't even express it. I feel like I'm going to puke. :o