LOL

Discuss.

Anyone noticed the date today BTW

Cochrane
21-12-09, 10:34
No, it won't. :D

TombOfRaiders
21-12-09, 10:57
This is all bull****, you only see to believe.

Can a mod close this thread?

1. Pointless
2. A thread already exists similar to this one.

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 10:59

1. Pointless

:vlol:
Probably an old thread though, and some feel quite strongly about bumping them

TRenTIs
21-12-09, 11:18
A bit premature, wouldn't you say?

Your_Envy*
21-12-09, 11:25
Um.. Okay? :p

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 11:33
There was an earthquake in Tiwan yesterday...
Bit I don't believe in 2012... I only believe in the resurrection, it may be today, tomorrow, or after 1000 years, nobody know only God.

Raider Man

wmcintosh
21-12-09, 11:35
I for one could careless about it, all hype, just like 2000.

LightningRider
21-12-09, 11:38
I for one could careless about it, all hype, just like 2000.

What happened then? :confused:

There was an earthquake in Taiwan yesterday...
Bit I don't believe in 2012... I only believe in the resurrection, it may be today, tomorrow, or after 1000 years, nobody know only God.

Raider Man

Yeah, disasters been happening in Asia, volcanoes, earthquakes, typhoons.

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 11:39
What happened then? :confused:

Yeah, disasters been happening in Asia, volcanoes, earthquakes, typhoons.

Y2K. Google it :p

tombraiderluka
21-12-09, 11:41
I don't believe he world will end, but I believe something will happen :jmp:

Cochrane
21-12-09, 11:43
Thats the silly part isnt it. Mods will lock this thread because another thread already exists, but they will also lock the existing threads if the last post is over a week ago and someone posts.

Catch 22

I prefer to think of it as "finally there's a way of making this stupid topic go away".

LightningRider
21-12-09, 11:44
Y2K. Google it :p

Seems like another one of those digital things.. :rolleyes:

I don't believe he world will end, but I believe something will happen :jmp:

Your Music Video on TV?! :eek:

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 11:46
Seems like another one of those digital things.. :rolleyes:

Yup :)

Phys
21-12-09, 11:48
Mmkay then.

Ikas90
21-12-09, 11:49
If the world ends, I'm off to Pandora.

tombraiderluka
21-12-09, 11:50
Your Music Video on TV?! :eek:
No, that's Summer 2010 :D

LightningRider
21-12-09, 11:52
If the world ends, I'm off to Pandora.

Agreed. *packs bags*

No, that's Summer 2010 :D

Good. ;)

Paddy
21-12-09, 11:54
Id love to see the faces of those who believe it when they find out the world isnt gonna end in 2012.
Dont understand whats with all these threads lol

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 11:54
http://www.graphics.com/modules/Gallery/albums/album258/Dec2012jpg.sized.jpg

Raider Man

Admles
21-12-09, 11:55
^^^^^ Interesting picture, notice its an Alien hand....

The thing is I can't understand why they think the world is going to end.

The Mayans don't believe it is going to end, it is simply the end of their calendar, and the end of an age, and the start of a new age.

In all seriousness, theres now what, 10 threads about 2012?

LightningRider
21-12-09, 11:57
5, mind you.

Who here wants to have a TRF party before it goes? :D

Admles
21-12-09, 11:58
LOL I just did a search, theres 10!

Admles
21-12-09, 11:59
So did aliens create our solar system?

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:01
Of course not
They don't even exist.

Raider Man

Paddy
21-12-09, 12:02
I believe aliens do exist though but 2012 making the world end = LOL

Admles
21-12-09, 12:03
Of course not
They don't even exist.

Raider Man
Proof?

Lara's home
21-12-09, 12:10
Proof?

Devils proof, you win!

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:12
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/Raider_Man_Albums/Smiley.jpg

Aliens still is not proven that they do exists... So they don't as long as you say about God is not proven that he do exists then he don't, the same as for aliens...
Why choosing the one you believe on your own and rejecting the others on your own...
Its good to believe in something LOGIC

Raider Man

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 12:14
Exactly 3 years from now millions of people will be panicking over this stupid 2012 thing.

Exactly 3 years and one day from now I'll be laughing at them because nothing happened.

Admles
21-12-09, 12:15
HEHE

In all actuality, I don't believe in aliens, or god, or predicting the future / prophecy

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:15
Exactly 3 years from now millions of people will be panicking over this stupid 2012 thing.

Exactly 3 years and one day from now I'll be laughing at them because nothing happened.

True...
I like your Santa Avatar

Raider Man

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:17
HEHE

In all actuality, I don't believe in aliens, or god, or predicting the future / prophecy

Good...
Someone was there in the past for a long long time ago...
485734875 years ago
He spelt this word

"Abra Kadabra"

And everything appears to show, earth, universe, world, creatres, etc...

Raider Man

Admles
21-12-09, 12:22
Good...
Someone was there in the past for a long long time ago...
485734875 years ago
He spelt this word

"Abra Kadabra"

And everything appears to show, earth, universe, world, creatres, etc...

Raider Man
I prefer The Big Bang Theory

Great show :D

trXD
21-12-09, 12:23
Isnt 2012 the end of the ancient mayan calanader? That doesnt even mean its the end of time its just the end of the third era or something.

Admles
21-12-09, 12:24
Isnt 2012 the end of the ancient mayan calanader? That doesnt even mean its the end of time its just the end of the third era or something.
Yeah, it's the end of the current age, and I THINK its the age of Aquarius next

Ada the Mental
21-12-09, 12:27
Juuust like the world ended after 31/12/1999 right?

trXD
21-12-09, 12:27
After this it will be 2020, you heard it from me first.

Legend of Lara
21-12-09, 12:29

And just like how the LHC snapped the world apart.

LightningRider
21-12-09, 12:32
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/Raider_Man_Albums/Smiley.jpg

Aliens still is not proven that they do exists... So they don't as long as you say about God is not proven that he do exists then he don't, the same as for aliens...
Why choosing the one you believe on your own and rejecting the others on your own...
Its good to believe in something LOGIC

Raider Man

That's the point, it isn't proven, which denies any claims that it isn't real. You can't make a fact without proofs. ;)

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:34
I prefer The Big Bang Theory

Great show :D

And who caused that big bang?
Is that what we have to see the earth to be in a well-circled shaped and among all other planets due to the big bang? And all the stars are freezing and have the gravity power to hold its fire and not thrown through space, and are well circled, and each one is not contact to the other if so it will cause a universe disaster and thanks to God
Is this due to the Big Bang theory?
NICE!!!!!

I prefer the magician better than this theory that it doesn't even proven yet.

Raider Man

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:36
That's the point, it isn't proven, which denies any claims that it isn't real. You can't make a fact without proofs. ;)

Not all proofs come to facts mister or miss...
We had seen many terrible things and strange things due to this world
We have many terrible and imagination question that we didn't even get the answer yet...

Is it a fact? Or out from the fact?!

Raider Man

LightningRider
21-12-09, 12:37
Meh, you know what, I don't care if I die, I just intend that my book be finished by then. Thank you. :D

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:37
Meh, you know what, I don't care if I die, I just intend that my book be finished by then. Thank you. :D

Honestly... Do I care?! LOL!! :vlol:

Raider Man

MiCkiZ88
21-12-09, 12:38
I can see the threads from the next three years.

Exactly two years from now the Mayan Calendar will end
Exactly one year from now the world might be coming to an end..
Tomorrow we all dieeeee!!! Who wants to get laid before that?

Even if the world would end, I can totally see us here on TRF.

''Hehe, the aliens are tickling my brain''
''Yah, I know duuude! Its weird, but like lool, I just saw Michael dancing with them!''

Admles
21-12-09, 12:38
I think you missed the joke....

Big Bang Theory is a TV show

Remember that just because you believe, doesn't make those who don't wrong, or make you right.

If everything had to have been created, then who created god?

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:41
I can see the threads from the next three years.

Exactly two years from now the Mayan Calendar will end
Exactly one year from now the world might be coming to an end..
Tomorrow we all dieeeee!!! Who wants to get laid before that?

Even if the world would end, I can totally see us here on TRF.

''Hehe, the aliens are tickling my brain''
''Yah, I know duuude! Its weird, but like lool, I just saw Michael dancing with them!''

NO!! You're not funnyy!

I think you missed the joke....

Big Bang Theory is a TV show

Remember that just because you believe, doesn't make those who don't wrong, or make you right.

If everything had to have been created, then who created god?

Almighty power is not created, he's not a human being for the sake, not borned.
Who created Big bang? Or in other word who caused it? Alien? I think doppelganger of Lara Croft

Raider Man

Punaxe
21-12-09, 12:45

According to Wikipedia, this date only represents the end of one of the Mayan calendar's sub-cycles, namely the 13th. But as the Mayans used a vigesimal (base 20) numeral system, if anything, we'd have to wait for 7 more of these cycles for the calendar to run out of larger countable cycles.
Also recent calculations put the December 21st date in 2108, not 2012.

But you're right, nothing is said about the end of the world. In our calendar, we end a cycle every day (the daily count), week (weekly count), month (monthly count)... Doesn't mean the world ends after every cycle.

Alex Shepherd
21-12-09, 12:48
According to Wikipedia, this date only represents the end of one of the Mayan calendar's sub-cycles, namely the 13th. But as the Mayans used a vigesimal (base 20) numeral system, if anything, we'd have to wait for 7 more of these cycles for the calendar to run out of larger countable cycles.
Also recent calculations put the December 21st date in 2108, not 2012.

But you're right, nothing is said about the end of the world. In our calendar, we end a cycle every day (the daily count), week (weekly count), month (monthly count)... Doesn't mean the world ends after every cycle.

WHAT?! Then I am not gonna exist in the end of the world?! OH DAMN!!! *kiddin'*

Still not surly 2108 though... I wonder what does your signature talk about?

Raider Man

Dina_Croft
21-12-09, 13:20
I want this day to come so that I could laugh at the ones who believe in this bull****.:cool:

Admles
21-12-09, 13:25
I want this day to come so that I could laugh at the ones who believe in this bull****.:cool:
I was doing the same at Y2K fanatics who thought there would be chaos lol

_Tomb_Raider
21-12-09, 13:28
YAAAAA can't wait....:jmp::jmp: We will die all together...

Admles
21-12-09, 13:30
If that's going to happen, I wanna send a lot of PMs in the week leading up to it telling some people here exactly what I think of them

Of course, knowing my luck, I'll do that and we won't all die :D

Dina_Croft
21-12-09, 13:30
I was doing the same at Y2K fanatics who thought there would be chaos lol

:confused:

And what is that?

Admles
21-12-09, 13:38
:confused:

And what is that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millenium_bug

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 13:44
Well, if it does happen, all us TRFers will die together :p

Admles
21-12-09, 13:45
We can do lots of naughty things, like hotlink images, post naughty pictures, swear :D

Dina_Croft
21-12-09, 13:46
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millenium_bug

Big LOL!

We can do lots of naughty things, like hotlink images, post naughty pictures, swear :D

Best.Day.Ever.

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 13:54
I was doing the same at Y2K fanatics who thought there would be chaos lolThis is even worse. I think there were some computers that malfunctioned on 1st January, 2000, but not many. Also, a lot of governments and companies took steps against it.

This however is just bull****. People always laugh at every single prediction and yet somehow this is different and they believe it.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-12-09, 13:57
2012 doesnt change anything - it the devastation does happen it will be mankind's fault and we deserve the punishment.

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 14:04
2012 doesnt change anything - it the devastation does happen it will be mankind's fault and we deserve the punishment.No we don't.

NOT THAT ANYTHING WILL EVEN HAPPEN ANYWAY lol

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 14:06
2012 doesnt change anything - it the devastation does happen it will be mankind's fault and we deserve the punishment.

Interesting view, Hayley :)

Ikas90
21-12-09, 14:07
No we don't.

We don't?

Paddy
21-12-09, 14:10
Lol nothings going to ****ing happen, if it does we wont even be around afterwards.

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 14:11
We don't?Nope.

Lol nothings going to ****ing happen, if it does we wont even be around afterwards.Blunt but true :p

Ikas90
21-12-09, 14:14
Nope.

Can you give a reason? If you're going to say something like that, I expect a backup for it. (Unless I missed one of your previous posts?)

Minimus
21-12-09, 14:15
The 2012 phenomena started from the Mayan Calendar. Think people, the Mayans had to stop making the Calendar at some point, they would have assumed after all their work that over the next couple thousand of years someone would continue it. :rolleyes:

xXhayleyroxXx
21-12-09, 14:20
No we don't.

NOT THAT ANYTHING WILL EVEN HAPPEN ANYWAY lol

so we can poison the earth, cause deforestation and death, slaughter innocent animals and ruin landscapes; yet get no punishment? theres an outcome to everything you do; you cant expect good things to come from this. look at global warming for example - polar bears could become extinct because of humans not cutting down on co2 emmissions.
its true, nothings probably gonna happen; but the worlds a formiddle force not to be underestimated.

Interesting view, Hayley :)

Cochrane
21-12-09, 14:23
No we don't.

If the world becomes a worse place due to the influence of humans who should have known better, then yes, we deserve it. It can be debated whether that is happening at the moment, though.

Paddy
21-12-09, 14:26
If the world becomes a worse place due to the influence of humans who should have known better, then yes, we deserve it. It can be debated whether that is happening at the moment, though.

Yeah this I do agree with.

Dennis's Mom
21-12-09, 14:27
The earth has already gone through far greater changes than what we're anticipating, and she's always come back in some form.

Now, we may not all survive it, but the Earth will be OK.

Archetype
21-12-09, 14:28
so we can posion the earth, cause deforestation and death, slaughter innocent animals and ruin landscapes; yet get no punishment? theres an outcome to everything you do; you cant expect good things to come from this. look at global warming for example - polar bears could become extinct because of humans not cutting down on co2 emmissions.
its true, nothings probably gonna happen; but the worlds a formiddle force not to be underestimated.

I've read alot of articles that make global warming out to be nothing more than a scare tactic as apparnetly mankind has had no influence on the temprature of the planet. If the world really was to end in 2012, It wouldn't be down to natural disasters which are happening more and more frequently due to what I believe to be God's wrath. The most likely cause would be Nuclear war.

tombraiderluka
21-12-09, 14:28
The earth has already gone through far greater changes than what we're anticipating, and she's always come back in some form.

Now, we may not all survive it, but the Earth will be OK.
What is there to survive?

xXhayleyroxXx
21-12-09, 14:31
I've read alot of articles that make global warming out to be nothing more than a scare tactic as apparnetly mankind has had no influence on the temprature of the planet. If the world really was to end in 2012, It wouldn't be down to natural disasters which are happening more and more frequently due to what I believe to be God's wrath. The most likely cause would be Nuclear war.

yeah thats true - but we do have a part in global warming - that advert on tv where a dad is reading his daughter a story makes me so sad :(

it should be renamed ' global warning' because thats truly what it is - a warning to discontinue what we are doing.

LightningRider
21-12-09, 14:31

Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Typhoons, Hurricanes.

But I'm expecting an emotional problem, like maybe 9/11. :(

Archetype
21-12-09, 14:34
yeah thats true - but we do have a part in global warming - that advert on tv where a dad is reading his daughter a story makes me so sad :(

it should be renamed ' global warning' because thats truly what it is - a warning to discontinue what we are doing.

I guess Jeremy clarkson has rubbed off on me a bit, just not fat and balding :p

Cochrane
21-12-09, 14:37
Concerning global warming: I don't really have much of an opinion on it, because I think that the measures taken to avoid it are good ideas no matter what. Reducing our dependency on oil is always useful, polluting less never a bad idea, and the destruction that is surface mining (rather popular near where I live) should be stopped for many other reasons as well.

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 14:43

Global Warming has been happening since the start. We humans have just....contributer towards it :)

James_Rutland
21-12-09, 14:45
I'm sick of hearing nonsense about the end of the world. I would say more but It's quite offensive to those who believe it. :p

Archetype
21-12-09, 15:01
Global Warming has been happening since the start. We humans have just....contributer towards it :)

mah I don't believe it :p

The Sun controls the temprature of our planet by the amount of sun spots

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 15:07
mah I don't believe it :p

What I just said? Or Global Warming in general?

Archetype
21-12-09, 15:11
What I just said? Or Global Warming in general?

global warming in general.

That we're to blame for the planets tempreture to be exact. Sure we should preserve natural resources, but CO2 emissions have nothing to do with it.

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 15:14

That we're to blame for the planets tempreture to be exact. Sure we should preserve natural resources, but CO2 emissions have nothing to do with it.
My thoughts exactly :)

Aranara
21-12-09, 15:20
I personally don't believe in the 2012 thing.

ShadyCroft
21-12-09, 15:22
well, we can only wait and see. :)

Punaxe
21-12-09, 15:25

Many things play a role in the earth's climate. If it wasn't for greenhouse gasses (e.g. CO2), the earth would have an average temperature of about -18 degrees Celsius, rather than the current +15 or so. Climate has varied over the course of Earth's history, due to among other things, the presence of these gasses. It is beyond doubt that greenhouse gasses, including CO2, play an essential role in Earth's climate.
There is also no reason to doubt that mankind's emissions heighten the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. What exactly the influence of that is on the actual climate is not entirely clear, but both theories I am familiar with underline the role of mankind in the disturbance of the current climate.
We are not "to blame for the planet's temperature", but we are quite certainly having an influence on the balance of gasses that are to "blame" for the planet's temperature. CO2 has everything to do with it. Therefore, CO2 emissions have too.

Saphyre
21-12-09, 15:27
Yeah, the worlds gonna end in 2012! Just like it was gonna end in the millennium! And the various times before that! :D

Honestly, this whole 2012 thing is just a media scandal to make more money imo, as all the past doomsday stories have been. They're making films out of it and everything to make money.

Minty Mouth
21-12-09, 15:30
Remember the Millennium Bug?

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 15:41
Can you give a reason? If you're going to say something like that, I expect a backup for it. (Unless I missed one of your previous posts?)Surely the people saying we all deserve to die should be backing their claims up?

Tony9595
21-12-09, 15:45
I can't believe how people can really think this is truth...

Jack Croft
21-12-09, 15:55
http://home.megapass.co.kr/%7Eboscot/incorrect.jpg

tombraiderluka
21-12-09, 16:11
Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Typhoons, Hurricanes.

But I'm expecting an emotional problem, like maybe 9/11. :(
Meh here we never have hurricanes, nor earthquakes, and we're not near any vulcano. I don't think it'll be stormy, or anything. It will be a normal day, but maybe without sun xD

laracroftswest
21-12-09, 16:33
How about they ship us all to the moon? :p

TRfan23
21-12-09, 16:58
Fraid it's our wonderful nature to trash up the earth and to go against trashing the earth.

*Plays COD - MW*

It's our decision whether we think we deserve our race to die.

In exactly 3 years from now it won't be the so called 2012 phenomenon, since it's a leap year ;)

So 3 years + 24hrs. Well technically not exactly now lol ;)

Dennis's Mom
21-12-09, 17:02

There have been a series of mass extinctions in the earth's history. I mean, there's an entire movie series based on the most famous Ice Age. Most of those critters didn't make it out of that alive.

We're currently coming out of the Little Ice Age. Are we causing it? *shrugs* I don't know. Data seems to show we certainly could be contributing to it.

Concerning global warming: I don't really have much of an opinion on it, because I think that the measures taken to avoid it are good ideas no matter what. Reducing our dependency on oil is always useful, polluting less never a bad idea, and the destruction that is surface mining (rather popular near where I live) should be stopped for many other reasons as well.

Exactly. We should be good stewards of the earth. I disagree with the idea we should be sending money to other countries over it though.

Gabi
21-12-09, 17:12
Some posts have been removed, due to being random, off topic and frivolous.
Please try to keep this thread within the (wider) limits of its topic.

Rai
21-12-09, 17:15
Hmm, the leap year thing is quite interesting. The Mayans wouldn't have used Leap years (as they didn't exist back then), so the Mayan calender is based off different dates entirely? Or am I just plucking at straws? :p

I don't believe the world will end in 2012, it probably just signifies a transition of some kind. I guess we'll all find out in 3 years from tomorrow.

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 17:16
Why does everybody somehow think the Mayans are a more credible source of prophetic information than anybody else?

Cochrane
21-12-09, 17:51
Why does everybody somehow think the Mayans are a more credible source of prophetic information than anybody else?

Never heard the old proverb "Anybody not from here must be an expert?" :D

Besides, what makes you think anybody is considering it to be more reliable? The people scared now are the same as the ones who were afraid of 2000, the LHC, you name it. Being scared apparently beats being bored for
many.

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 17:54
Besides, what makes you think anybody is considering it to be more reliable? The people scared now are the same as the ones who were afraid of 2000, the LHC, you name it. Being scared apparently beats being bored for
many.I know, but these same people would laugh at some Jehovah's Witness telling them the world is going to end next year.

AmericanAssassin
21-12-09, 18:10
The world isn't going to end in 2012. It's as simple as that. If it does then who cares. We'll all be dead anyway. :p

Cochrane
21-12-09, 18:19
I know, but these same people would laugh at some Jehovah's Witness telling them the world is going to end next year.

Jehovah's Witnesses are an acceptable target, everybody knows that they are just an Evil Sect Believing in False Teachings or Something Like That™. The Mayans, though, are someone mystical, unknown and weird, so surely they must have some insight into the world that we ignorant, arrogant westerners are too blind to see (same with australian aborigines, native americans and so on). That's the way the world works for many.

If you want, you can easily find a relation to the separate topics of white man's guilt and "noble savages", as well as to the modern we're-so-evil mindset that can be traced back to the 1960s with the independence of colonies but also Vietnam, and the later eco movement.

Minty Mouth
21-12-09, 18:22
The world isn't going to end in 2012. It's as simple as that. If it does then who cares. We'll all be dead anyway. :p

My philosophy exactly :D (not exactly a cheery topic, but oh well!)

GameGlitcher77
21-12-09, 18:54

Exactly :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :ohn:

Zebra
21-12-09, 19:03
There was an earthquake in Tiwan yesterday...

Raider Man

Let's just hope whatever comes after that will be a world without human beings (Not that I think anything of that kind is going to happen. But if there was a god it'd set this world free of the curse that is humanity).

Cochrane
21-12-09, 19:12
Let's just hope whatever comes after that will be a world without human beings (Not that I think anything of that kind is going to happen. But if there was a god it'd set this world free of the curse that is humanity).

And what do you propose instead? A beautiful world without sentient life to appreciate it is pretty much useless in my opinion. Yes, there are other species that have shown great intelligence, but for all we know, they'd just screw it up same as we did.

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 19:32
Let's just hope whatever comes after that will be a world without human beings (Not that I think anything of that kind is going to happen. But if there was a god it'd set this world free of the curse that is humanity).If humanity is such a curse then why are you letting yourself live?

I'm not suggesting for one minute that you should go and kill yourself lol, but it is a bit odd saying that.

@Cochrane: Don't you see? Humans are evil! We must all die!!

larasbestm8
21-12-09, 19:38
Doesn't anyone else realise that the Mayan calendar repeats itself? Maybe the idea that it's normally drawn in circles and their myths of another cycle before are a hint...

Punaxe
21-12-09, 19:54
And what do you propose instead? A beautiful world without sentient life to appreciate it is pretty much useless in my opinion. Yes, there are other species that have shown great intelligence, but for all we know, they'd just screw it up same as we did.

Now that's a bit of an odd statement. How does higher-level appreciation by sentient lifeforms cause any world to be not-useless? What use is this world?

No need to answer that, actually. I probably know what you mean. While losing any form of life is of course a bad thing, losing mankind would - as opposed to what many seem to think - probably be the worst that could happen to life as we know it. Sure, we're causing some bad stuff and sure, the other lifeforms that we know of would be better off without us. But the human species is the only that comes with an entire civilization, a recorded history, knowledge, and well, you know, everything mankind has achieved. You can call all life equal as much as you want, but especially in the bigger picture (and even at an individual level if you ask me, but PETA would disagree), there's a hierarchy and mankind is at the top. Also, and this is where I guess appreciation comes in: the other lifeforms don't actually care.

lara c. fan
21-12-09, 20:00
Now that's a bit of an odd statement. How does higher-level appreciation by sentient lifeforms cause any world to be not-useless? What use is this world?

No need to answer that, actually. I probably know what you mean. While losing any form of life is of course a bad thing, losing mankind would - as opposed to what many seem to think - probably be the worst that could happen to life as we know it. Sure, we're causing some bad stuff and sure, the other lifeforms that we know of would be better off without us. But the human species is the only that comes with an entire civilization, a recorded history, knowledge, and well, you know, everything mankind has achieved. You can call all life equal as much as you want, but especially in the bigger picture (and even at an individual level if you ask me, but PETA would disagree), there's a hierarchy and mankind is at the top. Also, and this is where I guess appreciation comes in: the other lifeforms don't actually care.

My RE teacher would axe-murder you :pi:

Cochrane
21-12-09, 20:03

Thank you, yes, this is exactly what I mean. The very idea of the earth being useful is something that no other species has to the same degree as we do, just like the idea of the world being better or worse. By whose standards would the world be better if we left? By ours? That does not seem logical. Are there species which would probably multiply more if we left? Lots of, but there are also many domesticated species, as well as nearly extinct ones, that would be in a lot of trouble if they had to compete with their feral relatives instead of being kept by us.

More to the point, a world without us would soon become different, but whether that is good or bad is impossible to tell. Was the world any better when dinosaurs still roamed the land? That's purely subjective. But in a future where nobody is around to ask that question anymore, the question itself becomes irrelevant.

tranniversary119
21-12-09, 20:26
Just like everyone always tells me, you can die any day. You can get hit by a car tomorrow and your world will end. The Mayan's DID NOT say the world's going to end in 2012, contrary to belief.

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 20:36
The Mayan's DID NOT say the world's going to end in 2012, contrary to belief.Even if they did, it wouldn't mean anything lol.

jackles
21-12-09, 20:38
I really don't fancy another three years of discussion on this. The way I see it if it happens...well it happens. If it doesn't...we pootle on as normal. ;)

tonyme
21-12-09, 20:46
Oh God... How is this thread still surviving? No, the world won't end in 2012

patriots88888
21-12-09, 20:52
The way I look at it, the phenomena has already begun. That would be all this frivolous hype and scare mongering that surrounds it.

Cochrane
21-12-09, 20:54
The way I look at it, the phenomena has already begun. That would be all this frivolous hype and scare mongering that surrounds it.

True. A better title for the thread would have been "exactly 3 years from Now the 2012 Phenomenon will End" (capitalization taken from actual title). :D

Dustie
21-12-09, 21:22
I think Wikipedia page for the year 2012 meme explains a lot of the theories :)

Los Angeles
21-12-09, 21:24
Some of you are so primitive...

Oh my gosh, you're so sceptical... Well, you'll wonder if the world is gonna come to an end 2012...

Apofiss
21-12-09, 21:26
ops :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6151699791256390335&ei=KecvS4HXIJSm2wKX4JnSBQ&q=Nassim#docid=2029221838829059074

MyRaider4Life
21-12-09, 21:47
ops :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6151699791256390335&ei=KecvS4HXIJSm2wKX4JnSBQ&q=Nassim#docid=2029221838829059074

WOW! Interesting. :)

PoseidonsDeath
21-12-09, 21:48
If it does happen: Cool. Act like you were a believer the whole time. Gloat in everybody's faces. If it doesn't: Sorry. You still have to buy christmas presents. And yes, Change your avatar before it's too late!

Cochrane
21-12-09, 21:56
I think it's time to re-iterate a point I made several times about this so far:

My trust in science and common sense is so large that I am willing to bet real-life value on it. My bet is as follows: If the world gets blown up by the LHC and/or ends in december 2012 in accordance with old prophecies, I will buy everyone an ice cream who
a) predicted that this would happen.
b) can track me down in the post-apocalyptic wasteland.

In case we all die and the rumors about an after-life are true, I will extend my offer to this after-life as well, provided there is ice cream there.

KC Mraz
21-12-09, 21:58
exactly 3 years from Now nothing is going to happen. I'm pretty sure the mayas were warning us about the movie 2012 than the year 2012. Just don't go to see it.

da tomb raider!
21-12-09, 22:07
Hey, let's face it, the world's on its way out anyway! Might as well speed things up a bit!

Love2Raid
21-12-09, 22:09
exactly 3 years from Now nothing is going to happen. I'm pretty sure the mayas were warning us about the movie 2012 than the year 2012. Just don't go to see it.

Is it that bad? :vlol:

The world will probably end one day, no idea how or when. Not worried about 2012 at all.

Lee croft
21-12-09, 22:47
And thats the very date i turned 8....10 years ago(9 according to my birth date) i think...

Ikas90
21-12-09, 22:48
Surely the people saying we all deserve to die should be backing their claims up?

You were the first to object, so you should backup your claim. What you were doing was disagreeing with what was being said, and as you were the first to disagree, you should be the one to back up your claim first.

And then we will provide feedback on your points. If you say something that most people aren't going to agree with, don't expect it to be taken seriously.

Cochrane
21-12-09, 23:23
You were the first to object, so you should backup your claim. What you were doing was disagreeing with what was being said, and as you were the first to disagree, you should be the one to back up your claim first.

And then we will provide feedback on your points. If you say something that most people aren't going to agree with, don't expect it to be taken seriously.

No. That line of reasoning is akin to asking an atheist to proof that there is no god, just plain wrong. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

The claim was that earth is better off without humans. That's a bold statement, so Zebra needs to explain why he thinks so. By default, all we can assume is that we don't know whether the earth is better off without humans or not, and it's Zebra making the contrary claim.

larafan25
21-12-09, 23:25

1. Pointless

some people believe in a god, should they be told it is a lie? no ..why? because neither have been proven, whether or not this is true we will have to wait to find out.

anyways the thread will seem far from pointless when we get into the topic:)

Lemmie
21-12-09, 23:33
The world won't end for many billions of years, I expect. The human race (and probably most of the other species on this planet) won't be around to witness it though. Probably.

JRod2208
21-12-09, 23:34
Exactly three years from now, nothing will happen and everyone that believes in this shall feel foolish indeed.

Paddy
21-12-09, 23:42
some people believe in a god, should they be told it is a lie? no ..why? because neither have been proven, whether or not this is true we will have to wait to find out.

anyways the thread will seem far from pointless when we get into the topic:)

Yeah theres only been like 10 threads on the same topic :vlol:

Mad Tony
21-12-09, 23:42
The claim was that earth is better off without humans. That's a bold statement, so Zebra needs to explain why he thinks so. By default, all we can assume is that we don't know whether the earth is better off without humans or not, and it's Zebra making the contrary claim.Pretty much. :tmb:

Ikas90
21-12-09, 23:43
No. That line of reasoning is akin to asking an atheist to proof that there is no god, just plain wrong. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

The claim was that earth is better off without humans. That's a bold statement, so Zebra needs to explain why he thinks so. By default, all we can assume is that we don't know whether the earth is better off without humans or not, and it's Zebra making the contrary claim.

In most cases, the first person to make an objection should be the first one to backup their claim. If anything, it may be more legitimate to think that humans are more deserving to die, than thinking that God exists.

If someone boldly said that God doesn't exist, I would ask them to back up their claim as well. Of course though, you can't back up such a claim, so people shouldn't make the statement in the first place. I would go ahead and say that I believe in God, but I'm not stating it as a fact, am I?

Mad Tony on the other hand, stated that us humans don't deserve to die, and it looked as if he were stating it as a fact. That is why I asked him why he thought so.

After he shares his views, then I'll be happy to share mine. Without forcing my opinion on anyone, of course.

dizzydoil
21-12-09, 23:43
Hm. I'm keeping an open mind.

I do know however, that the Winter Solstice occurs on December 21st 2012 in the northern hemisphere at 11:11 UT. The Sun is at its lowest point in the sky and it will be the shortest day of the year. This is also the first day of winter- cool huh :)?

TRfan23
21-12-09, 23:48
^ So that's what they mean by shortest day of the year. As the sun is at it's lowest point. I was thinking about the clocks lol. Even though it's 24hrs everyday.

dizzydoil
21-12-09, 23:55
2012 is going to be a busy year.

The year 2023 is by many separate accounts seen as being a portal into what some people call the Golden Age. 2012 marks according to the The Mayan Calendar, the ending of time as we know it. The Mayan calendar has proven to be one of the most accurate time keeping systems known to human kind. It has tracked without fail every solar eclipse every lunar eclipse and even takes into account changes in the rotation of the earth and the speed of the rotation of the earth to accomodate for this.

The Maya also predicted that in the year 1996 an inter-dimensional network would be created and that would enable everyone to see and communicate with each other thousands of miles away. Cound this be web cams?

Scholars have known for decades that the 13-baktun cycle of the Mayan calendar system of timekeeping was set to end precisely on December 21, 2012, the winter solstice. That this system was put in place some 2300 years ago is an astonish fact. How was it that ancient Mesoamerican skywatchers were able to pinpoint a winter solstice that far off into the future?

The book 2012: "Mayan Year of Destiny" claims that the Maya may have been instructed in their wisdom by disembodied entities from Orion and the Pleiades. Contact was maintained through shamanic rituals conducted in accordance with the movements of planets and stars.

2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse to some). Various sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar occuring on December 21 to mean there will bemajor change in the world order.
... utterly fascinating.

The date December 21st, 2012 A.D. (13.0.0.0.0 in the Long Count), represents an extremely close conjunction of the Winter Solstice Sun with the crossing point of the Galactic Equator (Equator of the Milky Way) and the Ecliptic (path of the Sun). The ancient Maya recognized this as the "Sacred Tree". This is an event that has been coming into focus very slowly over thousands of years. It will all come to a conclusion at exactly 11:11 am Greenwich Mean Time.
... oh wow strange.

It'd make a good movie. Yes- I do know 2012 is already a movie but I said good.

Cochrane
22-12-09, 00:29
In most cases, the first person to make an objection should be the first one to backup their claim. If anything, it may be more legitimate to think that humans are more deserving to die, than thinking that God exists.

If someone boldly said that God doesn't exist, I would ask them to back up their claim as well. Of course though, you can't back up such a claim, so people shouldn't make the statement in the first place. I would go ahead and say that I believe in God, but I'm not stating it as a fact, am I?

Mad Tony on the other hand, stated that us humans don't deserve to die, and it looked as if he were stating it as a fact. That is why I asked him why he thought so.

After he shares his views, then I'll be happy to share mine. Without forcing my opinion on anyone, of course.

Actually, I have no problem with you stating that you believe in God as a fact, because you certainly do (assuming that you do), but I know what you mean.

It may be a philosophical question, really. Generally speaking, I like to place the burden of proof on the one who assumes the most complicated world. A world where we know that humans are bad is significantly more complicated than one where there is no clear preference either way, because such an assumption is also automatically an assumption about human behavior and it's effect on the environment past, present and in the future.

Leaving that aside, there's also a practical issue: Someone has to start getting detailed. To the statement "humans are bad for the earth", we can only reply "I don't think so". But there are no specific issues. Sure, it's possible to make guesses what the other may have meant along the lines of "I guess you're talking about A, but that can easily be proven wrong by…" But that is all just guesswork. You can't realistically expect a detailed answer here, because it's not yet clear what we are actually talking about.

Which brings me back to my original point: The one who made the statement knows the points he's talking about. Those who hold the more complicated view that humans are bad for the earth hold this view for specific reasons, so for a useful debate, it's best if they clarify them first.

voltz
22-12-09, 02:17
If you believe 1012 is really gonna end the world...
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/d/df/HolyBible.jpg
http://images.acswebnetworks.com/1/344/prayer.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RVQSKGMhkSs/SnfDHRNoJsI/AAAAAAAAAs0/Y3i0Ioz1A6M/s400/forgiveness.jpg

If not...
http://images.inmagine.com/img/imagehit/ih017/ih017078.jpg

irjudd
22-12-09, 03:39
What annoys me more than the threads about this topic or the debates that arise from it, are the absurd comparisons with "Y2K". The two, even in theory, don't correlate at all to be comparable. :confused:

TRhalloween
22-12-09, 03:45
This is exactly like the Millennium Bug!!!!!!!!!!

voltz
22-12-09, 03:59

except it's not for computers this time....

TRhalloween
22-12-09, 04:03
except it's not for computers this time....

I know :p

LaraLuvrrr
22-12-09, 04:15
lol I was just thinking of this and googled 2012 before I came across this thread!

what a coincidence :p

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZUNvcU93UM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VZUNvcU93UM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Zebra
22-12-09, 10:22
If humanity is such a curse then why are you letting yourself live?

Isn't that logial? The first reason is of course that pretty much every living creature has a built-in desire to live. The second one is that one human more or less wouldn't change anything.

Johnnay
22-12-09, 11:44
Well I didn't know this thread is gonna be.... This popular

irjudd
22-12-09, 12:57
If by popular you mean filled with posts by people either irritated with it or making fun of it. :whi:

lara c. fan
22-12-09, 13:39
What annoys me more than the threads about this topic or the debates that arise from it, are the absurd comparisons with "Y2K". The two, even in theory, don't correlate at all to be comparable. :confused:

:p

Mad Tony
22-12-09, 14:01
At least the Millennium Bug actually had some sort of factual basis.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
22-12-09, 14:18
TWELVE, TWELVE 2012 THREADS, HAH HAH HAH!!!

Yes, this really is the 12th one. This function (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/search.php) exists for a reason folks!

Mad Tony
22-12-09, 14:31
There's gonna be at least another 10-20 of these threads in the next 3 years. I seriously think they should make a general 2012 thread and pin it to the top of general chat.

cool_omar
22-12-09, 15:32
I'll most likely remeber the end of the world on the 22nd of december 2012 :P