PDA

View Full Version : The Tomb Raider series

speedraiderz
22-12-09, 17:37
Anyone that recognises me, you may notice that I have not posted on this site in about 2 years. I'll tell you why.

To be honest, tomb raider games are getting worse. It went downhill after TR chronicles. I just did not enjoy the newer games. They seem to have lost that Tomb Raider magic that I used to know and love :(

Are many people still interrested in the older trilogy still? Those were the best by far ;)

Thanks

Autolycus
22-12-09, 18:38
I know where you are coming from and yes the older games are classics. I'm sorry to hear that you've started to lose your love for TR. Before you say goodbye to the games for good, have you played all the newer games such as OAD, TRL, TRA, TRU. The games are different from the older ones but imo still have an impact on game play.

xXhayleyroxXx
22-12-09, 19:48
i know what you mean but at least try underworld if you already havn't - a lot of people who love the old games say some of the magic game back in that game. I recognised classic lara in it also.

peeves
22-12-09, 19:49
Anyone that recognises me, you may notice that I have not posted on this site in about 2 years. I'll tell you why.

To be honest, tomb raider games are getting worse. It went downhill after TR chronicles. I just did not enjoy the newer games. They seem to have lost that Tomb Raider magic that I used to know and love :(

Are many people still interrested in the older trilogy still? Those were the best by far ;)

Thanks
Actually no TR went downhill after AOD then after TRA it went way downhill and TR just won't be the same no more no matter what.

Mad Tony
22-12-09, 19:57
i know what you mean but at least try underworld if you already havn't - a lot of people who love the old games say some of the magic game back in that game. I recognised classic lara in it also.Really? I certainly didn't think so.

As long as CD continue to develop the Tomb Raider we'll never see a return to true Tomb Raider games.

tonyme
22-12-09, 19:58
The classics are what Tomb Raider is to me. Especially TR4 and TR5. They are the definition of the phenomenon, Lara Croft and her story happen there. The Crystal Dynamics one were fun and enjoyable, yes, but they're not real TR games for me :)

peeves
22-12-09, 19:58
Really? I certainly didn't think so.

As long as CD continue to develop the Tomb Raider we'll never see a return to true Tomb Raider games.

A true game made by CD was TRA if you didn't know.

Mad Tony
22-12-09, 20:06
A true game made by CD was TRA if you didn't know.Not in my opinion, if you didn't know.

peeves
22-12-09, 20:07
Not in my opinion, if you didn't know.

TRA wasn't bad but it was different from the classics. I predict TRO will be the last game of TR franchise before it's cancelled due to bad reviews.

Phys
22-12-09, 20:11
The old trilogy was the best of the Tomb Raider series. TR4 was ok but I never completed it, Tomb Raider Chronicles was just a mess. TRAOD was an absolute failure in my opinion. I actually gave up on the series then until I eventually decided to purchase TR Legend after it had already been out for a while. That'd when my interest in Tomb Raider was rekindled.

xXhayleyroxXx
22-12-09, 20:13

yeah , people liked how she was badass and there was that isolated feeling and a lot of exploring.

Explorer
22-12-09, 20:13
Well I have yet to play Crystal's games, so I've only played the classics. I still post in the classic sections of the forum, so you shouldn't necessarily stop posting or coming even if you don't like the newer games :)

peeves
22-12-09, 20:14
yeah , people liked how she was badass and there was that isolated feeling and a lot of exploring.

That doesn't mean the classic feeling returned she wasn't that big of a badass compared to the classics.

xXhayleyroxXx
22-12-09, 20:15
That doesn't mean the classic feeling returned she wasn't that big of a badass compared to the classics.

Well it returned for me - to be honest i thought classic lara was pushing her luck most of the time - she was plain rude.

Lara Fan 4Life
22-12-09, 20:17
To be honest, I think Underworld has picked up the games a bit, and I'm looking forward to the next game, unlike many here! The first two games are by far the best in the series and nothing will ever beat them! I still play through them time to time like a lot here! :)

Lara's home
22-12-09, 20:18
Not in my opinion, if you didn't know.

Good thing your opinion is fact.

VictorXD
22-12-09, 20:28
Well it returned for me - to be honest i thought classic lara was pushing her luck most of the time - she was plain rude.

I though I was the only one who though that way...:)

xXhayleyroxXx
22-12-09, 20:30
I though I was the only one who though that way...:)

same actually! it feels good to know you think that too :hug: xx

Carbonek_0051
22-12-09, 20:35
Good thing your opinion is fact.

lol

Anyways, I love all the TR games. I might like some less than others, but they are just as good now as they were back then IMO.:) Although none have captured the magic of TR1 for me, Underworld was close though.:p

Phlip
22-12-09, 20:51

I actually agree with you on something. CD are definitely ruining the series. tbh I just want another classic TR game, what the hell is so hard about that?

Ugh, I'll have to accept TR will NEVER return to it's roots, ever. :hea: Inspiration needs to be taken from TR1, 3 and 4.

VictorXD
22-12-09, 20:52
same actually! it feels good to know you think that too :hug: xx

Yeah:D

Lara's home
22-12-09, 20:58
Ugh, I'll have to accept TR will NEVER return to it's roots, ever. :hea: Inspiration needs to be taken from TR1, 3 and 4.

Yes, can you, please?

Eddie Haskell
22-12-09, 21:03

Thanks

Many people are still interested, although it is highly unlikely that most newer gamers on the scene would appreciate them for what they are and can be (as challenging and fun adventure games).

One should remember that the classics (in particular the original) were capable of pleasing a varied group of gamers on many levels. It was a magic formula, and although some of these attributes have been identified and recorded, others are elusive and hard to nail down. But what we do know is that all of this changed after CD took over. They attempted to distill this formula into the few attributes that they wanted to showcase, and dispose of those that did not. For many gamers something was lost in this, and although some can pinpoint the very game component(s), others simply point to that fugacious and intangible word...magic.

remote91
22-12-09, 21:14
Agreed... Anniversary and AOD were pretty decent though

Still no return to form.

Mad Tony
22-12-09, 21:51
Good thing your opinion is fact.Good thing I never said it was, hence the "not in my opinion".

Yes, can you, please?Or how about you stop ragging on people who don't like the new games?

Ikas90
22-12-09, 22:07
I just like the new games for what they are. They don't have to be like the classics. To me, they all still have the Tomb Raider spirit, but nothing like in the classics.

I don't think we need to have another game like the classics. Technology is advancing, and new features and playstyles are being put in. People should just start accepting the new games as they are. If they have a problem with it, then what's stopping them from playing the OLD SCHOOL games, which people still haven't gotten sick of after 10 years?

Minty Mouth
22-12-09, 22:10
I enjoyed Legend And Anniversary, I don't think they are bad at all.

For me, Underworld had no charm, it lost everything that the other two had worked to achieve, and was an empty shell of foliage and the same old 'brushing foliage away' animation recycled every time.

Carbonek_0051
22-12-09, 22:11
I just like the new games for what they are. They don't have to be like the classics. To me, they all still have the Tomb Raider spirit, but nothing like in the classics.

I don't think we need to have another game like the classics. Technology is advancing, and new features and playstyles are being put in. People should just start accepting the new games as they are. If they have a problem with it, then what's stopping them from playing the OLD SCHOOL games, which people still haven't gotten sick of after 10 years?

Exactly how I feel.:tmb:

scion05
22-12-09, 22:34

Oh Ben, I like you more each post I read...

What is wrong with me ? :ton:

:hug:

pekirock
22-12-09, 22:38
i dunno about you but i think tra was a REAL tomb raider game... why? because it had that exploration felling and that felling that you were the only one in the tomb (except the animals:p)... i guess it isnt the old find a key and open the door with it game, but hey... wasnt that boring and repetitive after a while anyway?:confused:

da tomb raider!
22-12-09, 22:55
Whilst I certainly haven't lost all interest in the series, indeed, I have lost some of it. Crystal Dynamics have done a respectable job at making a decent Tomb Raider game with Tomb Raider Underworld, but it's still just not the same as Core Design's games. I won't make a list of all of the things that Core Design's games have that Underworld doesn't, but it's hard to deny that a heck of a lot has changed. Over time, I've grown to become much less bothered about this, but the end result is much less enthusiam about the series...

On a side note, something that does bother me regarding this matter, however, is that Core Design seemed to have a very hard time whilst working on the series - after the original Tomb Raider was released, they had to pump out a new Tomb Raider game every single year for four years. This is made worse by the AOD fiasco and cancellation of their own Anniversary Edition, and worse yet by the fact that Core Design will never get a chance to make a Tomb Raider game under the shelter of Square Enix. If Core Design had been given the chance to continue the series, or at the very least had been given the chance to go out with the grace that they deserved, I for one probably would've grown accustomed to new developers and games far more quickly and happily. Having something great, feeding it to the wolves when something goes wrong, and replacing it with something awfully different is a pretty miserable move if you ask me...

Mad Tony
22-12-09, 23:03
Oh Ben, I like you more each post I read...

What is wrong with me ? :ton:

:hug:Umm, thank you :p

KIKO
22-12-09, 23:05
Legend was short, Anniversary felt better, Underworld sucks and so will origins or whatever AAA name they come up with :o enough said

Carbonek_0051
22-12-09, 23:16
so will origins or whatever AAA name they come up with :o

Omg, you can see the future?:eek:

KIKO
22-12-09, 23:24
Omg, you can see the future?:eek:

I can't see the future to the point of winning the lotery but I can predict a fail coming.

pekirock
22-12-09, 23:27
I can't see the future to the point of winning the lotery but I can predict a fail coming.

lol... dont be soo sure, who knows with square enix at their side they just might make a good and rememberable one this time;)

larafan25
22-12-09, 23:29
Incase anyone here is an idiot, however I should beware who I am reffering to, but it's not about sharing the same opinion but about what makes a tomb raider game tomb raider.

the latest games have returned to the roots, they may not have uncluded stuff core did but they sure as hell returned to the roots.

roots are not a specific recipee for a game such as certain locations, movesets, character appearences and the likes. It's about what the game IS. A tomb raider game has exploration, isolation, puzzles, danger, mystery, desolate locations and these have all been part of the recent games, maybe not in such a way that they were in cores games but these elements are definately there.

You can go around whining (and I am serious it's whinning about saying your over it but still going on about it) or you can decide to put in ideas, actual ideas. It's called suggestions, it's called constructive critisism. You cannot go around stating that cores games are the best and that crystal cannot make games or else they cannot makes games. You need to have hope, having hope for a bright future in the series is what gets you the best tomb raider game.

We all have different ideas as to what tomb raider should be comprised of, however we all know the fact of what tomb raider IS. Don't force your opinion on someone by TELLING them that TR1 is the best, instead tell people what made that game so great and give reasons as to why such elements should return.

All I ever see from people who bash one or the other developer is blind rage, nothing intelligent about the topic.

It's unfortunate that the fanbase can be made up of such babies, if you want it try to get it. BTW a true game is a video game, therefor all TR games so far have been true games.

da tomb raider!
23-12-09, 00:01
the latest games have returned to the roots, they may not have uncluded stuff core did but they sure as hell returned to the roots.

roots are not a specific recipee for a game such as certain locations, movesets, character appearences and the likes. It's about what the game IS. A tomb raider game has exploration, isolation, puzzles, danger, mystery, desolate locations and these have all been part of the recent games, maybe not in such a way that they were in cores games but these elements are definately there.

If a game merely needs generic content such as exploration, isolation, puzzles, danger, mystery and desolate locations to pass as a true Tomb Raider game, then Alone in the Dark must be one. :p I think you'll find that the more precise elements of previous Tomb Raider games, be it the unique control system, door-and-key gameplay or elevated difficulty (to name but three), are scarcely found in the more recent games, and personally, that makes me question Tomb Raider's return to its roots.

rr_carroll
23-12-09, 00:07
...Are many people still interrested in the older trilogy still? Those were the best by far ;)

Thanks
Just look at the post counts for the forums of the early games. I've been posting constantly for TR's 1 - 5 for about 4 years, because I don't just play the games, I research them. People are still making bug and non-bug discoveries, because the classics have a world that you can move in freely, and do things that not even the designers know about!

For instance, remember the big waterfall area in Temple Ruins of TR3? You can get on the higher areas with a curve jump off a slope.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/rr_carroll/India81.jpg

And there's always the artistic side, of course.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/rr_carroll/India143.jpg

Nerd For Life
23-12-09, 00:54
Those screens are beautiful, rr_carroll. :D

Paddy
23-12-09, 00:55
Pretty much all of Cores games were the better stuff.
Underworld was the only game of Crystals I actually liked.
I used to be a huge fan of Crystals stuff until I started getting into the classics.
Now I havent looked back from all the classics.

Eddie Haskell
23-12-09, 00:58
Pretty much all of Cores games were the better stuff.
Underworld was the only game of Crystals I actually liked.
I used to be a huge fan of Crystals stuff until I started getting into the classics.
Now I havent looked back from all the classics.

This is most curious, and bears some investigation. Why exactly?

Paddy
23-12-09, 09:35
This is most curious, and bears some investigation. Why exactly?

More that I started to understand why many TR fans disliked Crystals games, and having enjoyed the puzzles and just the general way the classic games were made, I personally dont really pay much attention to Crystals games anymore.

TombRaiderCool
23-12-09, 10:20
TBH, I don't have a problem with the newer games, I like them for what they are. They obviously have evolved in certain aspects which differ from the older games though and I can see why some dislike this.

I guess at the end of the day, it all comes down to personal tastes. I have played all the classics TR games and AOD at least once each. They are all great, I still play them once in a while and I still find new things every new time that I play any of them.

IMO the problem is that the old TR games are already classified as "classics" and as such, they are viewed by some fans as some sort of precious treasures that are perfect and flawless. But even during the first few games there were various changes that happened between each title, some can be viewed as for better and some for worse. IMO it happens with every sequal in a series. I remember that when AOD was released, the same thing happened that now we see happening with Crystal games: there were people I knew who loved it and claimed that it was better than the "classics", and others who said that it was a total failure. Ever since the it seems that history has repeated itself and I'm sure that when the next TR is released, the same thing is going to happen once again, of course that is each to their own; not everybody can like a single game. I don't think the series will ever become "exactly" how the Core games used to be, games that have straight-forward paths and very little challenging puzzles seem to be on an ever increasing high demand nowadays: the Resident Evil series for example seemed to go down a similar path.

For the record, I really like all the core games and The Last Revelation still remains my favourite Tomb Raider game but I enjoyed the Crystal games, and am looking forward to what the next title will bring. :)

Lara Fan 4Life
23-12-09, 10:25
^ Best post out of this whole thread! :tmb:

T-Sex
25-12-09, 22:25
My favourite tr games in order, if its worth anything :tmb:
1. Tomb Raider 1
2. Tomb Raider 3
3. Tomb Raider 2
4. Tomb Raider Underworld
5. Tomb Raider Legend
6. Tomb Raider Chronicles
7. Tomb Raider The last revelation
8. Tomb Raider Anniversary
9. Tomb Raider AOD (sorry, i just didnt like it :P )

silver_wolf
25-12-09, 22:38
The old TRs are great. I get a nostalgic feeling whenever I think about them. Then I play them and I get bored 'cause I've done it all before. That's the problem with classics. :(

Chocola teapot
25-12-09, 22:39
Tr3
Tr2
Tr4
Tr2
Tr6

PoseidonsDeath
26-12-09, 09:34
They were definately the best. When the games weren't 2 seconds long, and it was actually difficult. And the enemies didn't take 3 shots. Those were the good old days. I was 4 when it came out, but still, the good old days.

lara c. fan
26-12-09, 10:11
TRA wasn't bad but it was different from the classics. I predict TRO will be the last game of TR franchise before it's cancelled due to bad reviews.

I flamin well hope not :mad:

Los Angeles
26-12-09, 10:13
OMG, Crystals games are lame!!!

I love Legend though, it's like my favorite Crystal game, but Underworld and Anniversary are just so dry and feel worn out... :(

Changeling
26-12-09, 10:20
OMG, Crystals games are lame!!!

I love Legend though, it's like my favorite Crystal game, but Underworld and Anniversary are just so dry and feel worn out... :(

That's interesting, most people who hate Crystal's games would say that Legend is the worst. Myself included. :p

lara c. fan
26-12-09, 10:28
That's interesting, most people who hate Crystal's games would say that Legend is the worst. Myself included. :p

Having never played it, I can't say.
However, at the risk of coming under attack from Core fans, whats so wrong with CD? Alright Underworld was short, had bugs, but the gameplay was there. Isn't that what we need?

Changeling
26-12-09, 10:36
^ I don't hate CD's games, but I do dislike them... IMO Underworld may have been all that, but Anniversary was horribly unfaithful to the original game and Legend was just a joke: more of a shooter, focus put on action instead of adventure, one-way paths, blatantly showing you where to go, no need to think, extremely short (you can literally complete it in about an hour)... it's a fun game, but not a Tomb Raider game.

lara c. fan
26-12-09, 10:37
^ I don't hate CD's games, but I do dislike them... IMO Underworld may have been all that, but Anniversary was horribly unfaithful to the original game and Legend was just a joke: more of a shooter, focus put on action instead of adventure, one-way paths, blatantly showing you where to go, no need to think, extremely short (you can literally complete it in about an hour)... it's a fun game, but not a Tomb Raider game.

I wasn't talking specifically to you, more Everyone but thanks for your opinion :tmb:

Lara Fan 4Life
26-12-09, 12:25
I wasn't talking specifically to you, more Everyone but thanks for your opinion :tmb:

I'm pretty sure that you'll get more of the same answer that Changeling gave you from others who dislike Crystals games!