PDA

View Full Version : Help with singing

HappyShannon
25-12-09, 23:36
Hi! :) Like the title says, I need help with singing.
I love to sing acapella, but when I sing to music or with other people, my voice starts sounding wierd, because I get put off.

Obviously, this is bad, because I started group singing lessons last month so like I said, I get confused and put off. I try my best not to, knowing they're in the same position as me, but it doesn't help to much XD

Also, I'm starting private singing lessons aswell in 2010, so when my voice goes funny when I'm singing to the music, the teacher will know it's me.

Is there any way I can try and fix this? I've tried listening to the songs over and over, then listening to the karaoke versions, then trying to sing it acapella (Where I sound "normal"), then with music. That didn't work too much thoug.

So any help would really be appreciated before my next singing lesson.

Changeling
26-12-09, 00:09
The problem with acapella is you almost always sing it in a different key/tone/register/etc. than the original song, I do it all the time. :p You sing it to fit with your voice.

It's normal, and you'll improve with singing lessons, you just haven't found the right song suited to your voice yet.

HappyShannon
26-12-09, 00:45
The problem with acapella is you almost always sing it in a different key/tone/register/etc. than the original song, I do it all the time. :p You sing it to fit with your voice.

It's normal, and you'll improve with singing lessons, you just haven't found the right song suited to your voice yet.

Ohh :D
I didn't think of that XP

WCookie
26-12-09, 01:06
That happens to me a lot, and I still can't figure it out why, it's like I try to sing in a higher tone than I'm supposed, but as Changeling said, with music classes, you're going to forget that problem. ;)

Croft, Lara
26-12-09, 08:56
It's a common problem actually. Try to find an instrumental version that is in your key and just try to sing as you would if you were singing a capella.

Mystery-King
26-12-09, 09:13
I always found it hard to sing in front of this ONE person. I just couldn't sing in front of her. She would always smile and laugh for no reason and it was so offputting. I just got over it and didn't focus on her and I was fine. :D I dont do singing lessons but I find if I keep singing a song over and over eventually I do get the right notes. ;) Good Luck!

tombraiderluka
26-12-09, 09:40
You shouldn't let the music control you, you should control music. If that made sense :)

Atlantean-Squid
26-12-09, 11:00
It's a common problem actually. Try to find an instrumental version that is in your key and just try to sing as you would if you were singing a capella.

Alternatively, get the pacemaker plugin for Winamp. That was you can transpose your backing track to whatever key you like (or speed it up/slow it down).

HappyShannon
26-12-09, 13:49
Thanks everyone :D
I'll try all the stuff said :)

XBOXCroft
26-12-09, 14:14
I also got a question, when I sing, my mind registers that I sound good. But if your outside, it sounds like a squirrel trying to mate a hyena.

Why?

Dustie
26-12-09, 17:28
I also got a question, when I sing, my mind registers that I sound good. But if your outside, it sounds like a squirrel trying to mate a hyena.

Why?

Well, if it sounds bad, then it sounds bad. Doesn't mean much that it sounds good to you. I guess that's why one needs good hearing, so you listen to yourself and actually know when you make proper sounds. And then it takes abilities and training to be able to get nice sounds to come out of your mouth ;)

I want to start taking singing classes, but can't really afford it yet, sadly.