PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else think Twilight is a cheap ripoff of buffy?

vixster
26-12-09, 23:44
is it just me?

young outcast school girl - check
brooding mysterious vampire - check
terribble emo i am so alone relationship - check

its like a total ripoff of the show but without the well choreographed fight scenes or any of the witt or humour.

everyone is going totally crazy over twilight, but it just seems like a total rip-off!!! is it just me?

the good thing about the films is that there is a genuine chemistry between the actors, but it isnt enough for me.

what do you guys think of the twilight phenonemum. and in no way are the books fantastically written. something like harry potter is, not twilight

Minimus
26-12-09, 23:47
You forgot about werewolves

Spong
26-12-09, 23:51
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_msb7eQA-RFY/Sq6AOBthAQI/AAAAAAAABhQ/JT-RPuiDLJw/s400/and-then-buffy-staked-edward-the-end.jpg

AmericanAssassin
26-12-09, 23:55
^ That's my old avatar. :jmp: I've used it three times. :D

Legend 4ever
26-12-09, 23:56
I think it's definitely a ripoff. Of what, dunno, don't care. I don't believe Meyer wrote the books, that's for sure.

Laralissa
26-12-09, 23:59
Lets face it, there's hardly anything vampire wise which hasnt been done already 1000 times - the idea of vampires is ancient as it is, so of course not everything is going to be unique, least of all Twilight. Its not brilliant written, no, and its fairly cliche, but enjoyable as long as you dont think too much into it. If you want a more involved, well-written story, go for something by Anne Rice. Interview with the Vampire is brilliant, for instance.

I love Twilight, dont get me wrong, but its not exactly a groundbreaking masterpiece as far as things go. Im also really enjoying True Blood - at least that takes Vampires from a different angle for once, showing how it might be if they werent so 'secretive' :p

laralives
27-12-09, 00:01
I think Twilight ruined vampires. They should NEVER sparkle.:rolleyes:

vixster
27-12-09, 00:05
i dont enjoy something if i dont have to 'think about it that much'!!!

it is a total rip-off. joss whedon will be slapping a lawsuit on the auther.

AmericanAssassin
27-12-09, 00:08

This is why I hate Twilight. This reason alone. Not original. Just lame. Seriously. :p

Laralissa
27-12-09, 00:09
i dont enjoy something if i dont have to 'think about it that much'!!!

it is a total rip-off. joss whedon will be slapping a lawsuit on the auther.

I highly doubt it. Honestly, do you not realise that the concept of vampires/humans goes back thousands of years? Buffy didnt start it, and its not going to stop there.

Legend 4ever
27-12-09, 00:10
OMG Why is sparking the main problem for everyone.

Problems are the fact that Bella is obsessed and infatuated, she doesn't really love Edward, she always talks about his marble cold skin, his topaz eyes, his blah blah blah

Meyer repeats herself, all her books could have been cut 50% because she's got so many stupid and pointless descriptions, the work is cliched and contrived. Breaking Dawn cannot be even called a book, it's lame, stupid, boring, too big, nothing really happens, the story pointlessly drags on.

The first book was OK, the rest of them just money making machine products.

And plus, the credibility of Meyer as an author is laughable. When she talks about the books, she comes across as fake, like she doesn't know what she's talking about, she's lying about writing it in two months and she's lying about the dream. If she wrote the book in 60 days, that tells about the quality of the book.

There's so much wrong about the series and its "author".

Your_Envy*
27-12-09, 00:14

That reminds me of one Facebook group: He doesn't bite people, and he sparkles. Face it, Edward Cullen is a fairy.

:vlol:

Legend 4ever
27-12-09, 00:16
Wasn't it: "He lives in the woods and sparkles"?

MangelinaJolie
27-12-09, 00:18
That reminds me of one Facebook group: He doesn't bite people, and he sparkles. Face it, Edward Cullen is a fairy.

*Now a fan*

Your_Envy*
27-12-09, 00:19
Wasn't it: "He lives in the woods and sparkles"?

Maybe there are more groups, I went to check it and I am in that one. :D

*Now a fan*

:vlol: :p

Catapharact
27-12-09, 00:24
Actually the quote goes as follows:

http://i50.************/1zx63rs.jpg

And my view on Twilight is quite clear. "Where the Wild Things Are" happens to be more engaging then Twilight. And that is seriously an understatement.

digitizedboy
27-12-09, 00:44
I actually think it's a rip off of Lost Boys to be honest.

AmericanAssassin
27-12-09, 00:52
Twilight bashing threads make me smile. :D

Love2Raid
27-12-09, 01:31

Wait, they...sparkle?

:hea:

laralives
27-12-09, 01:45
Wait, they...sparkle?

:hea:

Yes, they don't bite people either. :)

Love2Raid
27-12-09, 01:51
They don't? How dare they call themselves vampires then lol. I'm glad I have kept my distance from 'Twilight'. ;)

Nannonxyay
27-12-09, 02:05
Not really, no. The characters are completely different.

I don't like either series, so I'm not being biased or anything. I just don't see the similarities.

VictorXD
27-12-09, 02:06

:vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol:

OMG I loved this!!!!:D

Legend of Lara
27-12-09, 03:05
I'm not a big Buffy buff (OH LOL C WUT I DID THARR!?!) so I wouldn't know whether it's a ripoff.

I do, however, know that it's a horrible, horrible, horrible series. Not "saga", SERIES!

silver_wolf
27-12-09, 03:20
Calling Twilight a cheap rip-off of Buffy is about the kindest thing I can say about Meyer's literal ****-fest.

Catapharact
27-12-09, 03:23
Calling Twilight a cheap rip-off of Buffy is about the kindest thing I can say about Meyer's literal ****-fest.

They don't? How dare they call themselves vampires then lol. I'm glad I have kept my distance from 'Twilight'. ;)

Proof that there IS A GOD!

silver_wolf
27-12-09, 03:23
:tmb:

LightningRider
27-12-09, 03:24
... No Comment.

mau3genius
27-12-09, 03:45
I think the whole story is way too idiotic to be considered a rip-off. But if it is, then it's done all wrong. :p

ECB
27-12-09, 05:33
Okay, I'm just going to be upfront and honest.

I go through phases where I really enjoy Twilight(usually when the movies come out), I'm a sucker for hype. Then the other phases when all hype's over, I loathe it and think it's ripoff of Buffy and True Blood. You can say I'm "twi-polar." :p

Overall it's a rip off of a ton of things, wrapped into one series.
Buffy+True Blood+Vampire Chronicles+Dracula=Twilight

I think most vampire things spawn from Dracula, though. There's my two cents.

Aranara
27-12-09, 07:24
I think it's a ripoff. And I also think Buffy rulz and Edward should drown in his own blood (if he has any). If not, I'll go and choke him on a piece of garlic.
Sparkling vampires..hmpff...have you ever heard Dracula saying "I love you, x! You're my only reason to stay"
No frickin. ****.

woody543
27-12-09, 10:54

Have to agree!! I mean come on, Buffy is a kick ass character who wouldn't take **** from anyone! I don't think miss-omg I'm so helpless lols please come stalk me and stuff, can be compared to buffy!

Buffy= strong feminist show
Twilight= helpless female movie

Changeling
27-12-09, 11:18
I tried to give Twilight a chance but it failed. I tried reading the first book which I borrowed from a friend, but I literally got to the third page and put it down, I was so uninterested. After that I read the openings of the other books and not one of them managed to grip me and pull me into the story. I liked the first film after I saw it first, but after the first watch it became boring again. I went to see New Moon in the cinema with a friend who's a fan of Twilight, and even he agreed that it was a pile of ****. :p

Lightning Soul
27-12-09, 12:45
I dispise Twilight, I went to see New Moon at my local cinema and the teeny-bopper fangirls totally ruied my evening with their constant giggling and squacking "EDWARD RULES, ROB'S AMAZING, SUCH AN ACTING TALENT!!" :cln:

I loved Buffy, the series started with a flopped movie... reborn as a tv show with humble roots and grew into a classic, cult phenomenon - just like any series/franchise should do!!

I think tbh it's not a rip-off but there's alot of simmilar things between the two. Buffy definetly has the acting chops, some top notch writing, music and many stand out episodes like HUSH, Prophecy Girl, Once More With Feeling, Becomming Parts 1 & 2, New Moon Rising, Graduation, Barganning and of course THE GIFT :hug:. Twilight has Robert Pattinson with a bare chest... LOL take your pick!

Buffy needs to be remembered for how it changed tv, alot of people are forgetting about BTVS now - mainly as this Twilight craze sweeps the world over... like a deadly plague of locusts :p

I highly doubt Meyer didn't watch Buffy, Underworld, Blade etc. before writing Twilight, the ***** lied about it on UK tv - the news presenter asked who's your fave Buffy character?... long pause "Willow was my favourite"... long pause "eh I never watched Buffy, my sister did though" - ha ha you bint :mad:

Buffy is always in my heart <3

Lightning Soul
27-12-09, 12:49
MY GOD HOW COULD I FORGET THE BODY, SUCH AN AMAZING EP!! :yik: :(

Spoilers : I think this might have been SMG's best performance on Buffy, Joss really stretched her acting abilities and she showcased how death can affect a grieving loved one... such a fantastic episode. Oh and The Gift also showed Buffy's amazing love for Dawn, great work by SMG on both counts!!

Minty Mouth
27-12-09, 12:56
I'm not a big Buffy buff (OH LOL C WUT I DID THARR!?!) so I wouldn't know whether it's a ripoff.

I do, however, know that it's a horrible, horrible, horrible series. Not "saga", SERIES!

+1 kthnxbai

BlackRainbow
27-12-09, 13:10
I don't see it as a ripoff. Bella certainly don't slay vampires for a living last time I checked. O_o

silver_wolf
27-12-09, 17:45
yeah, she doesn't do much of anything.

jackles
27-12-09, 17:55
You forgot about werewolves

Buffy had werewolves.....

I have been watching quite a bit of Buffy recently and watched Twilight yesterday. Maybe it is a generation thing...

..into each generation a vampire fad is born.....

There are alway 'stereotypes' shall we say, amongst the vampire genre that carry over.

But for me I shall always carry a torch for Spike.....

Shark_Blade
27-12-09, 18:04
I don't really care, so many things were cheap ripoff of other things nowadays.

But in spite of that, Twilight certainly took a different angle than Buffy and Dracula. It's about a forbidden love, between the predator and the prey. Seems original enough to warrant fan craze worldwide it seems.

I'm not really into Twilight at first, but after seeing New Moon and then Twilight movies, I thought it was okay. There's certainly good chemistry between the main characters. I kinda like the Cullens family house. So big, modern and on top of a cool mountain. :p

But one thing I do hate is the rabid Twilight fan girls. See how they drool, scream and sigh at the cinemas, its like they're possessed human beings. I've never seen anything like it.

Dina_Croft
27-12-09, 18:11
So now what we're making "I hate Twilight" threads?

headesking seriously.

lara c. fan
27-12-09, 18:14
is it just me?

young outcast school girl - check
brooding mysterious vampire - check
terribble emo i am so alone relationship - check

its like a total ripoff of the show but without the well choreographed fight scenes or any of the witt or humour.

everyone is going totally crazy over twilight, but it just seems like a total rip-off!!! is it just me?

the good thing about the films is that there is a genuine chemistry between the actors, but it isnt enough for me.

what do you guys think of the twilight phenonemum. and in no way are the books fantastically written. something like harry potter is, not twilight

Buffy-Kills vampires
Twilight-Falls in love with vampire

So......NO

touchthesky
27-12-09, 18:15
Twilight and Buffy are nothing alike.

Just because they have vampires lol?

Buffy has superpowers, Bella doesn't...she's just a..girl. You can't really say that Buffy is a "regular" girl, because she isn't. She maybe tries to be but she's not.

People are making all these similarities and they're a bit silly..it's like the whole "Twilight-True Blood" thing..erm? Lol.

Dina_Croft
27-12-09, 18:19
Buffy-Kills vampires

So......NO

Exactly.

Laralissa
27-12-09, 18:26
Well to be fair, Buffy falls in love with vampires too, so that argument isn't exactly valid, is it.

Nobody is ever going to come to an agreement on this, but as I already said, matter of fact is that vampire stories have been around for thousands upon thousands of years, so no book/tv show/movie is going to be completely unique anymore. Of course each person takes inspiration from things they've already seen - some more than others *cough*meyer*cough* - but thats just life. Im not exactly pleased that she's made some new species of vampire that sparkle, but at least thats 'different' from your usual bloodthirsty burst into flames vampire - a new angle. Id still rather Anne Rice's anyday though.

Buffy wasnt totally original, neither is Twilight. End of.

Edit: I might aswell be speaking Spanish.

Los Angeles
27-12-09, 18:27
Twilight is a great movie, I don't understand why my friends hate it..

touchthesky
27-12-09, 18:28
Twilight is a great movie, I don't understand why my friends hate it..

I like it.

I'll be your friend.

There you go..you've got a friend that doesn't hate Twilight :hug:

Los Angeles
27-12-09, 18:29
I like it.

I'll be your friend.

There you go..you've got a friend that doesn't hate Twilight :hug:

Thanks. :tmb: :hug:

The same with AVATAR... lol And I don't wanna go alone to the movies... xD

Spong
27-12-09, 18:29
Buffy-Kills vampires

So......NO

So what was the whole Buffy/Angel or Buffy/Spike thing?

Lara's home
27-12-09, 18:30
Wouldn't call it a ripoff. It's just not good, in any way, shape or form. The books are OK, I've read the first one, and it was a bit girly for me, but okay..
The movies (First at least) is horrible in a way I can't describe.

EDIT: I wanna add that I also think that Twilight ruins vampires, and I also hate the books because of that.

Nannonxyay
27-12-09, 18:35

headesking seriously.

I bet you'd be fine with a "I hate Britney Spears" thread though, wouldn't you?

Dina_Croft
27-12-09, 18:40
I bet you'd be fine with a "I hate Britney Spears" thread though, wouldn't you?

Absolutely not.

Just Because I Hate Her that means that there should be a thread about it?

I don't think so.

Los Angeles
27-12-09, 18:47
Absolutely not.

I don't think so.

You hate britney? :yik: :smk:

Just Kidding. :p

Dina_Croft
27-12-09, 18:50
You hate britney? :yik: :smk:

Just Kidding. :p

:p:p:off:

Nannonxyay
27-12-09, 19:15
Absolutely not.

I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure there's been numerous occasions where you have expressed hatred for the woman. Not that I don't disagree with your comments about her, because I dislike her as well. But the fact is that if there was an opportunity to bash something you dislike, you would most probably take it. You've done it before in regards to lots of musicians.

disapearing-boy
27-12-09, 19:29

There's still badass vampires in other media... nothing's changed.. plus teenage girls like anything that sparkles!!

Actually there are vampires that bite/kill in the books/movies... Just the main 'family' of vampires restrain from human blood, but still have a very strong urge to kill them! Edward even says he wan'ts to kill Bella.. he has to fight his urges

I'm not a fan or anything but i just had to point out why there still vampires.;)

larafan25
27-12-09, 19:37
No.

Catapharact
27-12-09, 19:58

headesking seriously.

I find that amusing since most of the Twitards wouldn't stop crying when valid aspects of the book and the series were argued upon in the Twilight thread. Nope... All they kept saying was "this is a fan thread! If you want to talk about the negitive aspects of Twilight, go make a thread on it!"

Well now there is a thread on it. So to all Twitards... There will be negitivity on the series in this thread. Edward will be beaten to death, The Wolves will be skinned alive and Bella will be burned at the stake for being such an Emo.

trlestew
27-12-09, 20:03
Buffy was about a kickass teenage vampire slayer with some love interest in it.

Twilight is a love story about vampires that is just presented horribly.

bloodstormaoa
27-12-09, 20:04
Overall it's a rip off of a ton of things, wrapped into one series.
Buffy+True Blood+Vampire Chronicles+Dracula=Twilight

I think most vampire things spawn from Dracula, though. There's my two cents.

Agreed :tmb:

My thought's on The Twilight Series can be summed up with this link:
http://psa.blastmagazine.com/2008/08/16/twilight-sucks-and-not-in-a-good-way/ and it's related articles. (Can't remember who first posted that, but it's a great read ;))

I wouldn't compare it to Buffy directly however as ..well, Buffy was/is awesome :tmb:

TR93
27-12-09, 20:11
To answer the question...I dont think Twilight was a ripoff of Buffy , it similiarities because it involves Vampires,but Twilight has alot of differences which I actually enjoy.... it may not be wonderfully written and the Movie may not be a masterpiece... but people still enjoy it, and then there are those who claim things about Twilight as fact when in fact everything is people opinions... you gotta remember Buffy, Twilight and allll the other books and movies and stuff about vampires is fiction, I dont understand why people get so worked up about it...
Unlike a alot of people I like Twilight and cannot stand Buffy...

oh wait...uh oh... this isn't the whole " Lets start another Twilight hate thread"?
It seems like it...theres already a thread for both Twilight and Buffy, why not discuss it there?

marla_singer
27-12-09, 20:18
From what I know about Buffy (which granted, isn't that much), and what I've read about the apparent similarities in the thread, I can't see how Twilight is a rip-off.

Plus I don't get how Twilight vampires "killed/ruined" vampires. They are fictional beings, I assume everybody imagines them differently :p

By the way, I'm pretty neutral about Twilight, don't love it nor hate it :o

lara c. fan
27-12-09, 20:19
I dont understand why people get so worked up about it...

Nor do I....

Dina_Croft
27-12-09, 20:30
I'm pretty sure there's been numerous occasions where you have expressed hatred for the woman. Not that I don't disagree with your comments about her, because I dislike her as well. But the fact is that if there was an opportunity to bash something you dislike, you would most probably take it. You've done it before in regards to lots of musicians.

What made you so sure that you actually know what I think and what I would do?

And Yes I love expresing hate for some musicians only when it's suitable (like in an Overated Thread or something like that) but definetly not In a thread like this.

PoseidonsDeath
27-12-09, 20:34
No, I just think it sucks. SPIKE DOESN'T TWINKLE, GLITTER, GLOW, OR GLEAM!

Minty Mouth
27-12-09, 20:39
No, I just think it sucks. SPIKE DOESN'T TWINKLE, GLITTER, GLOW, OR GLEAM!

Not in public.

PoseidonsDeath
27-12-09, 21:05
^.... wow.... really?

KC Mraz
27-12-09, 22:35
Not exactly a cheap ripoff... I would just call it cheap. *ba dun tss!*

lara croft TR
28-12-09, 10:01
indeed, the movie is a piece of **** but the books are really good...
and about being a ripoff .... i haven't seen buffy so i can't comment

AmericanAssassin
29-12-09, 18:59
I'd like to see Edward take on Angelus or Spike. They'd kick that little glittery fools ass. :mis:

juicybubble
29-12-09, 19:08
I like how the vampires sparkle
Its the best thing about he book
And its originial
Hence they couldent of copied off it

And cant everyone just give twilight a brake?
All you tomb raider fans may not like it but the rest of the world sure does.
On the premire of new moon i was in line for 3 hours for tickets and the line went outside into the parking lot.
yea,twilight is that awesome.

lara c. fan
29-12-09, 19:10

http://www.cartuningcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/car-brakes-2.jpg

You must of seen that one coming...

AmericanAssassin
29-12-09, 19:11
^ :vlol: I almost commented, but I decided against it...

And its originial

Sometimes, originality can end up being stupid. :whi:

On the premire of new moon i was in line for 3 hours for tickets and the line went outside into the parking lot.

If by rest of the world, you mean 12 year old girls and sexually repressed grandmas. :p

TRhalloween
29-12-09, 19:12
And its originial

Agreed! :D But you said the best thing about the books I how they sparkle, I think the best part is how cute Edward is :jmp: Sparkling is the second best part ;)

lara c. fan
29-12-09, 19:13
sexually repressed grandmas. :p

Phhhhhhttttttttttttttthhhh :vlol:
Amazing :p

interstellardave
29-12-09, 19:21
I'd like to see Edward take on Angelus or Spike. They'd kick that little glittery fools ass. :mis:

Between Angelus, Spike, Buffy, and my girl (in my avatar), Edwards' life-span in the Buffyverse would be very short! :p

Aranara
29-12-09, 19:24
Agreed! :D But you said the best thing about the books I how they sparkle, I think the best part is how cute Edward is :jmp: Sparkling is the second best part ;)

Okay, maybe in your opinion Edward is cute.
But vampires DO NO T need to sparkle!
[Image removed due to censor circumvention]
Any Questions?? No? Not even a petit question?
Thought so.

AmericanAssassin
29-12-09, 19:25
^ I lol'ed. :vlol:

Between Angelus, Spike, Buffy, and my girl (in my avatar), Edwards' life-span in the Buffyverse would be very short! :p

Heck yes! *High Fives*

lara c. fan
29-12-09, 21:15

He would be there one nano-second :p

Minty Mouth
29-12-09, 21:16

Ummm (http://twilightsucks.com/)

Dina_Croft
29-12-09, 21:19

They should get a life:vlol:

Minty Mouth
29-12-09, 21:20

Why you tellin' me? s'not like I'm the webmaster or anything....

:pi:

lara c. fan
29-12-09, 21:21

I noticed a badge that said "Twilight makes BUBBLEheads.
Put that next to JuicyBUBBLE

Dina_Croft
29-12-09, 21:21
Why you tellin' me? s'not like I'm the webmaster or anything....

:pi:

:p:p

Minty Mouth
29-12-09, 21:22
http://www.twilightsucks.com/images/badgepins.png

:D

Dina_Croft
29-12-09, 21:26
http://www.twilightsucks.com/images/badgepins.png

:D

LOL

http://collops.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/harry_potter1.jpg

silver_wolf
29-12-09, 21:26
And its originial

No. Twilight blows. The general public is retarded when it comes to things like this. That is all.

AmericanAssassin
29-12-09, 21:27

I love HP, but I lol'ed. :vlol:

Dina_Croft
29-12-09, 21:28
No. Twilight blows. The general public is retarded when it comes to things like this. That is all.

I am totaly with you.[/sarcasm]

silver_wolf
29-12-09, 21:29
:vlol: so did I. I'm gonna assume that's photoshop? If not, then...wtf??

lara c. fan
LOL

Harry's hand should not be there :smk:

sandygrimm
I think it's just a cheap ripoff :vlol:

Mad Tony
29-12-09, 22:25
I think Twilight is cheap fullstop.

Your_Envy*
29-12-09, 23:10

I love HP too, but I have so many funny HP avatars on my computer! Priceless! :vlol:

Legend 4ever
29-12-09, 23:27

OMG I just realised that I used to say fullstop. Then I moved to the US and it's been "period" for the last couple of years lol

Anyways, if you want to see crazy, watch that crazy Twilight fangirl's channel. She is insane.

MLvNGZjMt8I&feature=fvw
ql5LURcnTKc

AmericanAssassin
29-12-09, 23:50
^ What a loser. Seriously. :rolleyes:

MyRaider4Life
29-12-09, 23:51

LMAO! As soon as I saw this thread I said that. :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
30-12-09, 00:20
nope sorry

Kelly Craftman
30-12-09, 00:28
buffy faught vampires not marry them and have children
so therefore i don't think its a cheap ripoff

AmericanAssassin
30-12-09, 00:36
buffy faught vampires not marry them and have children
so therefore i don't think its a cheap ripoff

Well, Buffy dated Angel, Spike, and Dracula (as you find out in Angel, season 5). Plus, Angel and Darla (both vampires) have a baby...

People are referring mostly to the romance aspect, which there was a lot of in Buffy. :)

remote91
30-12-09, 00:40
In a word..

Yeah

Kelly Craftman
30-12-09, 00:59
Well, Buffy dated Angel, Spike, and Dracula (as you find out in Angel, season 5). Plus, Angel and Darla (both vampires) have a baby...

People are referring mostly to the romance aspect, which there was a lot of in Buffy. :)

Haha ok you win :p

mau3genius
30-12-09, 02:15
Anyways, if you want to see crazy, watch that crazy Twilight fangirl's channel. She is insane.

MLvNGZjMt8I&feature=fvw
ql5LURcnTKc

OMFG Jabba the hutt is real AND likes Twilight?!

Shark_Blade
30-12-09, 02:42
^:vlol:

TRfan23
30-12-09, 02:44
OMFG Jabba the hutt is real AND likes Twilight?!

:vlol: Seriously her channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/nuttymadam3575

It's beyond anyone else I've seen. Wow, she's seen many of the famous actors :rolleyes:

Edit - If she was any more fluier then maybe she would sound like him - http://www.youtube.com/user/nuttymadam3575#p/a/5FEBC6FA5AB2D637/1/j9xy6UMVixU