PDA

View Full Version : China withholds 'execution' date on 'humanitarian' grounds

tlr online
28-12-09, 04:54
Oh the hypocrisy.

A British man, said by his family to be mentally ill, could be executed in China in the next 24 hours. Last week, Chinese authorities set Akmal Shaikh's execution date for 29 December, despite pleas for mercy from his relatives and the UK government.

Mr Shaikh, 53, from north London, was arrested for drug smuggling in 2007. His daughter told the BBC he was not aware he could be shot within hours, but this was a "good thing" because his mental state was so fragile.

Two of Mr Shaik's cousins, Soohail and Nasir Shaikh, have travelled to the Chinese region of Xinjiang where he is being held, and hope to meet him on Monday. The two men also plan to lodge papers seeking a legal review of his case and to deliver personal pleas for clemency to China's President Hu Jintao.

According to legal charity Reprieve, Chinese authorities have said knowledge of his execution is being withheld from the Briton on "humanitarian grounds".

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8432101.stm?ad=1

Mokono
28-12-09, 05:18
What do you mean with hypocrisy? Is it the fact that the guy just broke the Chinese law and was supposed to face the respective punishment over the sovereign Chinese soil, or it is because whenever a western man goes against the law in some country, those countries authorities appeal for them to not be judged as the law there states?

Quasimodo
28-12-09, 05:23
What do you mean with hypocrisy? Is it the fact that the guy just broke the Chinese law and was supposed to face the respective punishment over the sovereign Chinese soil, or it is because whenever a western man goes against the law in some country, those countries authorities appeal for them to not be judged as the law there states?

The hypocrisy, or irony, is not telling the mentally ill man that he's about to be executed by firing squad. Reminds me a bit of the ending to Of Mice and Men...[/tangent]

The article states he's being put to death for drug smuggling, and whether the drugs were planted on him or not, I think itss total overkill. Give him a proper trial and investigation, and if he's guilty, maybe jail time, probation, community service - but it's not so great an offense to cost a person their life.

Mokono
28-12-09, 05:33
The article states he's being put to death for drug smuggling, and whether the drugs were planted on him or not, I think itss total overkill. Give him a proper trial and investigation, and if he's guilty, maybe jail time, probation, community service - but it's not so great an offense to cost a person their life.

I agree with that, specially with the bolded and underlined part. However, whether he did have a propper investigation or not it's something out of the headline, since we do not know exactly how things were taken. China has a bad reputation regarding "fair" trials, but we can not especulate using this as a valid precedent. Still, death penalty for drug smuggling is pretty extreme, considering that within China there's a lot of smuggling ignored by authorities committed by Chinese men, but still this is not something someone could use in his defense.

Aranara
28-12-09, 07:57
That is not right. You can't just kill a person because he is mentally unstable. And if they did something wrong, they should get a proper trial, and jail time, they should not be executed because they are mentally ill.
What a stupid world.

aktrekker
28-12-09, 08:03
He's not being executed because he's mentally ill. He's being executed because he was smuggling drugs.

If he wasn't mentally ill, but was one of those South American drug lords, you would probably all be cheering China on.

tlr online
28-12-09, 11:30
An update to this earlier story.

Akmal Shaikh told he will executed for drug smuggling (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8432351.stm)

Goose
28-12-09, 16:18

Not at all, its just that the west actually believe in the rights of a human, and the rest of the world apparently dont. when was the last Chinese guy shot in America or London?

No citizen of the UK or USA shall be killed for something that wouldn't warrant the death penalty in his home land, its not hypocrisy, its democracy. But then again, communists wouldn't know about that, half of them dont even know the berlin wall has fallen.

Draco
28-12-09, 16:30
Wait wait wait... are you suggesting I shouldn't be flogged in Singapore for chewing gum, because I'm American?

Encore
28-12-09, 16:47
No citizen of the UK or USA shall be killed for something that wouldn't warrant the death penalty in his home land

Ignoring for a moment the obvious fact that you don't even realize what this principle implies, I'm simply curious as to why you've only mentioned the UK and the USA.
http://img2.pict.com/71/23/91/2321418/0/popcorn.gif

Mad Tony
28-12-09, 16:55
Ignoring for a moment the obvious fact that you don't even realize what this principle implies, I'm simply curious as to why you've only mentioned the UK and the USA.
http://img2.pict.com/71/23/91/2321418/0/popcorn.gifTwo best damn nations in the world! :cool:

:D

Chocola teapot
28-12-09, 17:01
^ I've always been a fan of the nation of Azerbaijan. (Lulz)

On point though, this is Discusting.
Right or wrong, this my lead to people perceiving china in a bad light.
(Or in an ever worse light)

Mad Tony
28-12-09, 17:03
^ I've always been a fan of the nation of Azerbaijan. (Lulz)

On point though, this is Discusting.
Right or wrong, this my lead to people perceiving china in a bad light.
(Or in an ever worse light)I have an Azerbaijani flag :D

Apparently 70% of the executions carried out in the world in 2008 took place in China. This is because many more crimes other than murder carry the death penalty there.

Chocola teapot
28-12-09, 17:05
I have an Azerbaijani flag :D

Apparently 70% of the executions carried out in the world in 2008 took place in China. This is because many more crimes other than murder carry the death penalty there.

Azerbaijani flag? wow!

And those figures are highly disturbing.

Goose
28-12-09, 17:39
http://img2.pict.com/71/23/91/2321418/0/popcorn.gif

Because the USA stole the magna charter, thats why. Not to mention that the UK defeated nepoleon at waterloo, redefining all his laws within the neoplionic empire, along with the British empire.

Pretty much redifineing Europe, especially after defeating Russia during the Crimean war. We defeated the entire planet, and placed democracy as law, so UK and USA law is the only one that matters now.

Love2Raid
28-12-09, 18:02
That's terrible. Did he even have a fair trial? Death penalty should be banned everywhere.

tombraiderluka
28-12-09, 18:05
Two best damn nations in the world! :cool:

:rolleyes: I hope you are kidding

Mad Tony
28-12-09, 18:10
Death penalty should be banned everywhere.Why?

I agree, sentencing this man to death for drug smuggling is definitely an overkill, especially considering his mental health, but I don't see why it should be "banned everywhere".

:rolleyes: I hope you are kiddingNope. I'd like to see you offer two better countries. :)

GameGlitcher77
28-12-09, 18:11
:rolleyes: I hope you are kidding

In the U.S. it depends on what state you live in. :D ;) Definatly not New Jersey though. >___>

Mad Tony
28-12-09, 18:22
In the U.S. it depends on what state you live in. :D ;) Definatly not New Jersey though. >___>I thought New York was considered the worst? :p According to that poll someone posted on here anyway.

Johnnay
28-12-09, 18:25

Australia is better than both nations, very obvious to tell

And China for it's part must improve it's human rights even better in order for a maintaining peace for it's people

tombraiderluka
28-12-09, 18:27
Why?

I agree, sentencing this man to death for drug smuggling is definitely an overkill, especially considering his mental health, but I don't see why it should be "banned everywhere".

Nope. I'd like to see you offer two better countries. :)
No I meant, they are great, but they're not the only ones who are best. I apperciate UK more than US, but France more than UK :)

Mad Tony
28-12-09, 18:36
Australia is better than both nations, very obvious to tellNah. We pretty much still own you :ton:

Johnnay
28-12-09, 18:45
Nah. We pretty much still own you :ton:

Really

like we are ranked as the luckliest country to live in

plus our health care is better

Aussie accent is crap than both nations

I can't be bothered to think of more. So I kick Mad Tonys Ass in this one:p

I can not believe someone here loves Azerbaijan. After all that country is devoted to lies and BS against the Armenians

LaraLuvrrr
28-12-09, 19:01
**** the Chinese government. They have no respect for human rights... they're pro slavery imo

its 2010 practically yet their government still acts like the old dynasties with no respect for democracy just authoritarian leadership.

tombraiderluka
28-12-09, 19:02
oh god, some of the statements in several posts here scare me :(

larafan25
28-12-09, 19:05
The hypocrisy, or irony, is not telling the mentally ill man that he's about to be executed by firing squad. Reminds me a bit of the ending to Of Mice and Men...[/tangent]

I agree so much.

And if the person was mentally unstable, I think that this should be recognized wherever the offence happens.

Mr.Burns
28-12-09, 19:06
I have a diagram for a few people in this thread...http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l243/filmdemon/offtopic.jpg

:wve:

larafan25
28-12-09, 19:07

We've got it pretty damn good here in Canada, for equal rights and all that stuff.

Not sure why we sell our oil to the US and then buy it it for a larger price when we could do very well on our own...but whatever.

Your_Envy*
28-12-09, 19:31
I think we shouldn't talk about "best nations in the world" since everybody will defend it's own country. :)

Bongo Fury
28-12-09, 19:53
We defeated the entire planet, and placed democracy as law, so UK and USA law is the only one that matters now.

unless you smuggle drugs in China of course.

TRfan23
28-12-09, 20:58
The Governments don't honesty know what they're doing :(

They do realize that Capital Punishment is actually more expense then keeping them alive. Now I dono if that's true as my RE teacher (When doing religion and politics in year 11) tend to have gotten her facts wrong.

I think we shouldn't talk about "best nations in the world" since everybody will defend it's own country. :)

I must be the only one who doesn't then? :confused:

I want to go to Germany :)

Your_Envy*
28-12-09, 21:25
I must be the only one who doesn't then? :confused:

I want to go to Germany :)

I am sorry, I don't understand your comment. :) I was referring to people, who said UK and USA are the best, and then that the Australia is the best.. Every country can be the best for everyone, so this "arguing" about the best nations is kinda pointless in my opinion. I am really sorry if you understand me wrong or if you find my comment offending, I didn't mean it that way.

Forwen
28-12-09, 21:45
Nope. I'd like to see you offer two better countries. :)

China will outlive them both :tmb:

Mad Tony
28-12-09, 21:55
China will outlive them both :tmb:Yeah right...

Bongo Fury
28-12-09, 22:22
We've got it pretty damn good here in Canada, for equal rights and all that stuff.
doubt i'll be trading my Canadian citizenship for any of these wanabee no.1's either

Not sure why we sell our oil to the US and then buy it it for a larger price when we could do very well on our own...but whatever.

we are doing the proper thing now. we sell our oil on the open market at the market price and that is the way to go.
1. price of oil goes up
2. stocks go up
3. i retire

or that's how the plan is supposed to work anyways

larafan25
28-12-09, 22:25
doubt i'll be trading my Canadian citizenship for any of these wanabee no.1's either

we are doing the proper thing now. we sell our oil on the open market at the market price and that is the way to go.
1. price of oil goes up
2. stocks go up
3. i retire

or that's how the plan is supposed to work anyways

awwww the stock market..love it:p

but we can have oil for free...welll the country itself can..

it doesn't make sense to have oil, then sell it, then buy it from somewhere else for more cost:p

TRfan23
28-12-09, 22:35
I am sorry, I don't understand your comment. :) I was referring to people, who said UK and USA are the best, and then that the Australia is the best.. Every country can be the best for everyone, so this "arguing" about the best nations is kinda pointless in my opinion. I am really sorry if you understand me wrong or if you find my comment offending, I didn't mean it that way.

No I'm not offended whatsoever :) Your other comment to me just seemed that people will defend their own country, when it comes to arguments on what people were saying earlier. Personally I wouldn't defend only my own.

Your_Envy*
28-12-09, 22:38
No I'm not offended whatsoever :) Your other comment to me just seemed that people will defend their own country, when it comes to arguments on what people were saying earlier. Personally I wouldn't defend only my own.

I understand. :) I wouldn't defend only my own, that's for sure, but people from Australia said that Australia is the best, that's why I made this comment and I didn't add that part too (that it's not necessary to defend only your own or even to defend your own country). Sorry for misunderstanding! :o

Bongo Fury
28-12-09, 22:43
it doesn't make sense to have oil, then sell it, then buy it from somewhere else for more cost:p

Naw, the going price is good enough for em. All kinds of free snow for a consolation prize though.

larafan25
28-12-09, 22:44
^yup...lots of snow:p

Lemmie
28-12-09, 23:05
I hope an appeal for clemency is granted. I was hearing some testimonials as to the man's mental state on the radio earlier and this man doesn't sound very stable either emotionally or mentally. :(

As to the 'which country is the best' argument, that's always going to be a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Mystery-King
28-12-09, 23:07
He is to be executed at 14:30 GMT tomorrow according to the daily mail. Poor Guy. :( I hope they can stop it in time.

larafan25
29-12-09, 00:17
AWW CRAP..

isn't the daily mail a non good source...like it is not very reliable?:)

I really don't want this to happen:(

Zebra
29-12-09, 02:50
Because the USA stole the magna charter, thats why. Not to mention that the UK defeated nepoleon at waterloo, redefining all his laws within the neoplionic empire, along with the British empire.

Pretty much redifineing Europe, especially after defeating Russia during the Crimean war. We defeated the entire planet, and placed democracy as law, so UK and USA law is the only one that matters now.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

aktrekker
29-12-09, 03:57
^If he's being serious, then I say the USA can kick the UK's butt, then only USA law will matter.:ton:
:vlol:

Spong
29-12-09, 09:20
He is to be executed at 14:30 GMT tomorrow according to the daily mail. Poor Guy. :( I hope they can stop it in time.

The Mail got its clock around the wrong way (or you read it wrong). He was executed this morning (around 2:30am GMT). Oh well...

Mystery-King
29-12-09, 09:21
:( And the worst thing? They won't return the body...

Goose
29-12-09, 10:43
unless you smuggle drugs in China of course.

Which is Ironic, china was the capital of opium selling at one point, thats how Britain came to own Hong kong and taiwan for abit, they dont really need any smuggling in! But thats probably the reason they take it so seriously.

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Nope, the spread of western values throughout the majority of the world hinged on those events. Would help if you added why you would think it as sarcasm?

Zebra
29-12-09, 14:16
Nope, the spread of western values throughout the majority of the world hinged on those events. Would help if you added why you would think it as sarcasm?

I didn't mean the events you mentioned I meant the statement at the end of your post.

Bongo Fury
29-12-09, 14:24
Which is Ironic, china was the capital of opium selling at one point, thats how Britain came to own Hong kong and taiwan for abit, they dont really need any smuggling in! But thats probably the reason they take it so seriously.

Not really what I was thinking. What I was poking at was that that your “UK and USA law is the only one that matters now” line isn't very accurate. China, as we have just seen, can be as indifferent to these “laws” as they want to be.

Goose
29-12-09, 14:49
Not really what I was thinking. What I was poking at was that that your “UK and USA law is the only one that matters now” line isn't very accurate. China, as we have just seen, can be as indifferent to these “laws” as they want to be.

That wasnt my point, someone said why does it only matter when its involving a westerner, its because the west is the leader in championing human rights.