PDA

View Full Version : My step-grandfather died today

Noodleboy
28-12-09, 21:29
But that's not really the point, well kinda anyway.

The thing is, I'm not slightly moved by his death.
I have a reason for this though. My grandma met him around the time I was born, about 18 years ago. During the time they were together, he never, ever, said a kind word to me. Nothing. Not even a thank you for birthday presents. He only made rude remarks towards me and all.

I am really sad for my grandma that she lost him, but is it insensitive of me not to cry about his death at all? I want to be sad, but I can't..

lara c. fan
28-12-09, 21:32

I have a reason for this though. My grandma met him around the time I was born, about 18 years ago. During the time they were together, he never, ever, said a kind word to me. Nothing. Not even a thank you for birthday presents. He only made rude remarks towards me and all.

I am really sad for my grandma that she lost him, but is it insensitive of me not to cry about his death at all? I want to be sad, but I can't..

If all you have is bad memories of him, I think it's quite normal to be like that.

tonyme
28-12-09, 21:32
You can't force yourself to be sad about his death. You are sorry that he died, so you're not doing anything wrong! :)

Dark Lugia 2
28-12-09, 21:52
I had a cousin die this year, and I didnt feel any sadness like you, even though I wanted to :/ Its not cause he was horrible though, he was a great guy, just that we werent close. So its not your fault :)

Marianna12
28-12-09, 21:54
You can't force yourself to be sad about his death.

Exactly! Even you force yourself to, that doesn't mean that you feel that way!:)

Your_Envy*
28-12-09, 21:59
I agree with Tony. You can't force yourself, and if you will, that won't count anyway. Support your grandma and stay by her side in the hard moments. :hug:

Love2Raid
28-12-09, 22:01
My condolences. :(

This shows that you aren't insensitive at all, you do care. You don't feel sad because he never showed love or kindness to you, there was no relationship between you two. It's a bit similar to when someone (in your family) dies who you have never met. And I also agree with Tonyme, that you can't force it.

miss.haggard
28-12-09, 22:03
Dont worry about being sad, just be respectful.

Minty Mouth
28-12-09, 22:03

This shows that you aren't insensitive at all, you do care. You don't feel sad because he never showed love or kindness to you, there was no relationship between you two. It's a bit similar to when someone (in your family) dies who you have never met. And I also agree with Tonyme, that you can't force it.

I agree. You are not insensitive, quite the opposite, in fact.

Legend 4ever
28-12-09, 22:10

Yes. My grandparents on my father's side died when I was 5 and 8 respectively and I know I was never sad because I've never met them. Then about two years ago I've read some letters they'd been sending over the years and when I saw how much they loved me, even though we've never met I started crying. If my grandparents on my mom's side died now I know I would be completely devastated.
I'm 18 and no one I've ever known has died, so I still don't know how I would react and sometimes I think about it and it scares me.

maniakatosheto
28-12-09, 22:17
To be honest mate... when my dad died... at first i wasn't sad... until i realised he can't get up no more and until his funeral.. i cry sometimes which is natural.. but i don't feel that kind of loss..

CroftGameGirl
29-12-09, 12:33
You are not being insensitive, you do care; you are sorry for his death. Don't force yourself to feel sad, there is no point; you won't achieve anything, it'll be an empty feeling etc. As long as you are respectful towards those that are sad towards his death.

Hope that helped :o

TRULuverzz
29-12-09, 12:36
It's not unusual that ur step grandad died and you aren't sad about it but still, i'm sorry for your grandmother :(

voltz
29-12-09, 12:36
This thread really makes me ponder things about my own dad. It's like he was born with *******-syndrome, but he's my dad after all.