PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes 2009

touchthesky
30-12-09, 18:15
Anyone seen this yet? :cln:

I just saw it and it was my favourite movie of 2009 :D

I haven't seen Avatar yet so don't throw that one at me!

And..as much as it pains me to say this lol...yes...it does mean New Moon is now 2nd place on my top ten favourite movies of 2009 list.

Thoughts? Reviews?

Aranara
30-12-09, 18:19
It will be launched on 1st of January here in Romania:D
Can't wait to see it though:jmp:

Admles
30-12-09, 18:36
Yes, I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it, even if it was a bit slow at times. I think RDJ was perfectly cast, as was Jude Law, and I'm definitely looking forward to a sequel for this one.

TheBloodRed
30-12-09, 18:51
My question:

Does Holmes act like Holmes or a reinvented version? As a HUGE fan of the novels, I'd hate to see his character change. :(

touchthesky
30-12-09, 18:55
Yes, I saw it yesterday. I enjoyed it, even if it was a bit slow at times. I think RDJ was perfectly cast, as was Jude Law, and I'm definitely looking forward to a sequel for this one.
Me to :) I heard Brad Pitt was in talks?

My question:

Does Holmes act like Holmes or a reinvented version? As a HUGE fan of the novels, I'd hate to see his character change. :(
Unfortunately I've never read the books :( bt youmight get an idea from the trailer?

QUQbmFAE5WI

Admles
30-12-09, 19:03
Yeah there was a Brad Pitt rumor, but who knows.

I think he's a younger Holmes, but he still applies the logic and reasoning skills of Holmes. Like all book-to-movie conversions there is always change; I guess its something you have to see for yourself.

Alive_and_Funky
30-12-09, 20:07
I've not really payed much attention to the movie, although I did have a Sherlock Holmes obsession back when I was around nine years old. XD

Legend 4ever
30-12-09, 20:08
I'll see it for McAdams.

LaraLuvrrr
30-12-09, 20:10
I didnt really like it... I just found it too boring and slow and alot of the time I couldnt understand Holmes's heavy English accent.

Eddie Haskell
30-12-09, 20:14
I'll take Basil Rathbone's Holmes any day over this "reimagining"...

TR93
30-12-09, 20:43
I saw it on Boxing day...premier showing at my local cinema:plol
I really liked it... but I would say New Moon is still my fave movie this year...
I really liked Sherlock Holmes though,
Blackwood is one of fave villains ever!:D lol

BlackRainbow
30-12-09, 20:44
I've seen a lot of trailers, it seems pretty neat. :cln:

miss.haggard
30-12-09, 20:45
Heard it sucked. Heard it was walk-out worthy. Hear that Ill probably still see it anyways.

igonge
30-12-09, 22:53
Going to see this sometime this week.

EmeraldFields
30-12-09, 22:55
I can't wait to see it. :D

Bongo Fury
31-12-09, 01:53

rathbone is holmes to me as well. the hint of snideness that he had was so well done. nothing is sacred in hollyrock though - see the pink panther for a another rather sorry example.

tombraiderluka
31-12-09, 01:54
The Cast is superb i really like the trailer, and off course love Sherlock H. so ill deffinitely watch it if I'm alive

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 01:59
rathbone is holmes to me as well. the hint of snideness that he had was so well done. nothing is sacred in hollyrock though - see the pink panther for a another rather sorry example.

Pink Panther is close to the original. It was live action thought and couldn't use some of the old jokes.

I would say that Steve Martin's version is a bit more uppity but his Clouseau is like the original in which he thinks he is the greatest detective ever but always gets into trouble. xD

Those movies were funny and would have been good either way.

Squibbly
31-12-09, 02:07
I've heard it's not very good, but I'm going to see it anyway. Even if it's awful, Robert Downey Jr. is in it... :D

Nerd For Life
31-12-09, 03:40
I saw it today, I really liked it actually. :D Robert Downey Jr. is super awesome.

knightgames
31-12-09, 04:14
Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce will always be Holmes and Watson for me. I grew up watching late night mystery movies with those two in the iconic roles. Not withstanding, Jeremy Brett's performance is the definative Holmes IMO.

This? This is just basturdization (sic) for money's sake.

I'm a keen admirer of Downey's since Less than Zero, True Believer and Wierd Science, but...... whatever. A buck's a buck.

rowanlim
31-12-09, 04:22
The show was enjoyable, I liked it :tmb:

LightningRider
31-12-09, 08:10
I'm gonna see it, but whatever, nothing new to see here..

interstellardave
31-12-09, 11:15

That was exactly my reaction upon seeing the trailer for the first time. Spot-on, my good man! ;)

digitizedboy
31-12-09, 11:22
For anyone who likes the traditional Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes will probably think it sucks. But this is a modern take up of it, and in its on way kinda fresh and original. I'll go and see it either way and make my own opinion. :)

Jedd Fletcher
31-12-09, 11:42
Sure it's different, but a little change never hurt anyone. Some people won't like the Holmes they know and love being replaced by this version, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm looking forward to seeing this film as Robert Downey Jr can do no wrong in my eyes. His comic timing is spot-on and he and Jude Law seem to have fantastic chemistry.

Eddie Haskell
31-12-09, 12:16
For anyone who likes the traditional Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes will probably think it sucks. But this is a modern take up of it, and in its on way kinda fresh and original. I'll go and see it either way and make my own opinion. :)

The stuff I saw on TV makes Holmes look like a uncouth street brawler. This is the exact opposite of the intellectual sleuth he is supposed to represent. Not that he did not have the capacity or knowledge to fight effectively or even savagely, but Holmes was far above that kind of crude and primitive conduct.

Jedd Fletcher
10-01-10, 05:17
I saw it with my family on my Mum's birthday yesterday. Here is my review of the film:

Movie Review 9/1/10
SHERLOCK HOLMES

Starring: Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, Mark Strong
Directed by: Guy Ritchie
Released by: Waner Brothers Pictures/Village Roadshow Pictures

Gone are the deerstalker hat, the cape and the bumbling Watson. This new version of Sir Athur Conan Doyle’s literary classic sleuth is more action hero than passive thinker. Robert Downey Jr takes on Holmes, with Jude Law, acknowledged as something of a sex symbol, a less unwiedly Dr Watson. Ex-husband of Madonna Guy Ritchie, famous for his British gangster flicks at the helm. Does this combination breathe new life into the 223-year old character?

The story, while utilizing several characters created by Conan Doyle, is not based directly on any of the original Holmes tales. In the film’s beginning, Holmes and Watson apprehend the villainous Lord Blackwood (Strong) who has been committing murders in the name of the occult.
Blackwood is sentenced to death, however he mysteriously rises from the grave to terrorise London and establish his own new world order. Holmes and Watson work in tandem with Scotland Yard Inspector Lestrade (Eddie Marsan). Holmes’ old flame, the beautiful cat burglar Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams), enters the fray and together with Holmes and Watson has to foil Lord Blackwood’s devious plans.

There are many who will complain that this iteration is a basterdisation of the Sherlock Holmes they know and love, what with his martial arts prowess and behavioural eccentricities (Holmes plays the violin to flies and experiments anaesthetics on Watson’s bulldog). However, it is hard to disagree that introducing the classic character to a new generation is a good thing, no matter how different from the traditional idea of Holmes he may be. And Holmes still possesses the sharp deductive and observation powers he has always had, putting them to good use on multiple occasions in the film.

Despite its darker moments in which the movie addresses occult themes, the film has a buoyant mood throughout, making it thoroughly enjoyable entertainment. It is a popcorn-level intelligent film, not completely dumbed-down but nothing mind-bending either. It is more an action film than much else, and the action is delivered well in several exciting setpieces. The film is also very well paced with nary a dull moment and few superfluous subplots.

Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law are excellent as the pair of Holmes and Watson. Both play off each other with much aplomb and share palpable chemistry and “bromance”, coming off more like a married couple at times than a team of detectives. Downey Jr clearly has fun with the character, just as he did in 2008’s Iron Man as the titular character. Jude Law’s Watson is more competent foil than idiot sidekick, which is welcome change after centuries of Watson being typecast as Holmes’ inferior.

Mark Strong, who has appeared in Ritchie’s previous films Revolver and Rock’n’Rolla makes a sufficiently dastardly villain who proves more than Holmes’ match, even though he is an original character and has never appeared in any of the books. It is hinted that Holmes’ literary archnemesis Professor Moriarty will be the primary villain of the sequel, but for the time being audiences won’t mind making do with Strong’s Lord Blackwood.

Rachel McAdams is a serviceable femme fatale, but doesn’t come off as someone whom Homes can truly fall for or be outwitted by. Perhaps a more experienced actress could have done a better job, but McAdams’ portrayal by no means renders the film weak. Also representing the female camp is Kelly Reilly as Watson’s fiancée Mary Morstan, whose intent on settling down with Watson comes into conflict with Watson and Holmes’ “Victorian Buddy Cop” routine.

The film has a wonderful period flavour, with recreations of the iconic Baker Street where the duo are based and London landmarks serving as the setting. The film is punctuated with Ritchie’s signature stylistic flourishes, including kinetic slow-motion action sequences. An interesting touch is how Holmes goes through every move in his head before jumping into a fight, a thought process visually represented to the audience.

However, some of the computer-generated effects come off as slightly dodgy, especially during the climax which takes place at a London landmark that in the story is still under-construction. This is no real handicap though and can be accepted as part of the style of the film.

Sherlock Holmes may not be original or groundbreaking, but it sure is jolly good fun that will have audiences looking forward to the next mystery the team of Downey Jr’s Holmes and Jude Law’s Watson will solve.

RATING: 3.5/5 STARS

Jedd Jong

M.A.
11-01-10, 12:53
The stuff I saw on TV makes Holmes look like a uncouth street brawler. This is the exact opposite of the intellectual sleuth he is supposed to represent. Not that he did not have the capacity or knowledge to fight effectively or even savagely, but Holmes was far above that kind of crude and primitive conduct.

Don't worry. His intellectual sleuthing is still fully intact. Even his brawling is done intellectually. :D Just watch the movie to see what I mean. :)

IMO, the music in this movie are AWESOME. I never pay attention to movie soundtracks before but this one just "gets" me. Here's my favourite piece from the movie. To quote a youtube commenter, this piece makes me want to go out and punch people! :D

rbDpkZIvnZg

Jedd Fletcher
11-01-10, 13:32
^^I love the music from this film too! My favourite is the theme, "Discombobulate".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIzy3laQck

touchthesky
11-01-10, 14:14
I am glad some of you like it. I know a lot of folk are put off because it's not traditional holmes but its GOOD!!