PDA

View Full Version : Need help with fleas.

LarasClone
31-12-09, 01:47
So lately ive been coming up wth spots, on my arms... so is there anyway to get rid of them?

Chocola teapot
31-12-09, 01:50
Do you have any Pets? I'm asuming so.

(If situation is bad)

Right, Get all of your blankets and pillows ect and wash them.

You may have to have your house fumagated which isn't as bad as it sounds, This may require proffesional assistance.

Finally, the lumps/ bites can be treated with creams.

:)

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 01:51
If you have animals, use flea deterrent on them, that way when they rummage around the house they won't track fleas and will also spread the flea deterrent around the house.

LaraLuvrrr
31-12-09, 01:55
Exterminator. Thats the only way I got rid of a flea infestation

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 01:58
We had fleas before but be fixed our cat up with spray on bug deterrent and we hadn't had bugs since we started using it.
(and my cat never got sick from the chemicals either)

LarasClone
31-12-09, 02:14
:hea:I dont understand. We checked our kittens fur all over and there was nothing there, but we got rid of them recently because of our house having diy work, and we had to keep them locked in a room, plus our house is too small for them, so we recently got rid of them.Then tonight i encouted loads of fleas near my beds side.

Capt. Murphy
31-12-09, 02:22
HERE'S WHAT TO DO!

Take a large baking pan or casserole dish, set it in the floor in an out of the way place (from foot and paw traffic), pour in some warm soapy water, then take a desk lamp and have the light shine on or near the water.

The light (and warmth?) from the lamp will attract the fleas. They'll jump towards the light (ha-ha) and land in the soapy water - killing themselves. :mis:

If you're worried about your animals drinking the water, you might make sure it's a dish soap, but it might not make any difference. The soapy smell should deter them from drinking it. ....I hope. :o

Good luck and let us know how it turns out after you've tried my suggestion. ;)

Edit: Oh wait. Duh. You said you got rid of your kittens? Well, then this info can be for anyone else with a similar problem.

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 02:26
:hea:I dont understand. We checked our kittens fur all over and there was nothing there, but we got rid of them recently because of our house having diy work, and we had to keep them locked in a room, plus our house is too small for them, so we recently got rid of them.Then tonight i encouted loads of fleas near my beds side.

I was suggesting that the animals would spread the deterrent. But the above post more than clearly explains what you can do.

We can't do it because out cat WILL want to drink it! xD

Capt. Murphy
31-12-09, 02:31
I was suggesting that the animals would spread the deterrent. But the above post more than clearly explains what you can do.

We can't do it because our cat WILL want to drink it! xD

I was almost going to say... Cats do not like hot peppers/chili-powder, onions, or lemons and vinegar. You could go with a bit of vinegar in the water. Or whatever you have on hand ATM. :)

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 02:32
Don't use alcohol... my cat likes it. Every time I have some peach schnapps around she wants to put her face in it!!! xD

Capt. Murphy
31-12-09, 13:53
Don't use alcohol... my cat likes it. Every time I have some peach schnapps around she wants to put her face in it!!! xD

Or maybe it's just the sweet/peachy smell/flavor it has. We (when I was a teenager and lived with my father) ...we had a cat that loved chocolate, and ice-cream.

And I take it because LarasClone didn't reply back that it's too late. :(

j/k ;)

Dennis's Mom
31-12-09, 14:45
Are you sure it's fleas? Bedbugs are making a comeback.

Check your pets for black dirt in their fur. Put some water on it. If it turns red, it's flea poop.

Not all things that kill fleas kill flea eggs or flea larva. Read packages.
You will have a battle ahead of you until everything hatches. Don't keep vacuum cleaner bags in your vacuum. Empty immediately.

I recommend a monthly topical flea medication like Frontline or Advantage. They work surprisingly well.

Eddie Haskell
31-12-09, 14:51
My dogs came fully equipped with fleas when I got rescued them as pups many years ago. I tried every chemical remedy to get rid of them, but all failed. My dogs could not tolerate the stuff you put on their backs (they went crazy, crying and rubbing all over the place), and all the powders and shampoos would only control their numbers. The only thing that worked was to throw out all the wall to wall rugs and replace with laminate flooring, wash everything completely, shampoo all of the furniture, and soak the dogs in flea shampoo and rinse completely.

They are 14 years old now and still have a few fleas, but I have found that a flea comb does the best job. I get great pleasure out of squeezing the life out of them when I find them. Must be a primitive response from our ape ancestors. :)