PDA

View Full Version : 9 Most Hated Cities

EmeraldFields
31-12-09, 21:17
A couple of weeks ago, we published a list of your ‘least favourite’ destinations.

Reaction was swift and fierce. There was some agreement and a whole lot of disagreement. A number of you took issue with the criterion for selection (highly visited site destinations that you were unlikely to save as a favourite). And several of you suggested more worthy cities for inclusion.

So we are proud to present to you a revised list of cities that you actually hate, based on your feedback. What do you think – did we get it right this time?

Your 9 most hated cities

Detroit, USA – Crime, pollution and crumbling infrastructure don’t appeal to you.
Accra, Ghana – Ugly, chaotic, sprawling and completely indifferent to its waterfront location.
Seoul, South Korea – According to one comment, ‘It’s an appallingly repetitive sprawl of freeways and Soviet-style concrete apartment buildings, horribly polluted, with no heart or spirit to it. So oppressively bland that the populace is driven to alcoholism.’
Los Angeles, USA – A highly contentious pick, placed here because of its ‘uncontrolled sprawl, pollution, appalling traffic and ugly freeways.’
Wolverhampton, England – So bad that we don’t even have it on this site! Check out post 35 on this thread.
San Salvador, El Salvador – Widely acknowledged as the grubbiest of the Central American capitals.
Chennai, India – We describe it as lacking Mumbai’s prosperity, Delhi’s history or Bengaluru’s buzz. Even the movie stars are ‘not that hot.’ You think we’re being generous.
Arusha, Tanzania – A gateway to natural wonder that has more than its share of rust. Get out as quickly as you can.
Chetumal, Mexico – Combining the worst of mass tourism and outlying decay, Chetumal just doesn’t charm you.

Does that sum it up for you, or are there still more deserving candidates?

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ghana/travel-tips-and-articles/42/9782

Now I know where not to go! :p

Johnnay
31-12-09, 21:19
Why isn't Sydney on the list

TRhalloween
31-12-09, 21:21
Awwww better luck next time, Glasgow :(

ThatNorskChick
31-12-09, 21:27
LA is pretty disgusting. It's like walking into a giant dirt cloud. Really, you can see the sky change color when your driving there!

Los Angeles
31-12-09, 21:28
LA is pretty disgusting. It's like walking into a giant dirt cloud. Really, you can see the sky change color when your driving there!

Thanks a lot. :o

LaraLuvrrr
31-12-09, 21:29
Miami should be somewhere on that list

Keir_Eidos
31-12-09, 21:31
I heard about this list. It's a bit contentious isn't it.

I went to Glasgow for the first time a few years back. I wasn't expecting what I experienced, which was a really fun, historic and friendly city. I guess I stayed in the nice parts but even as a drunken old sassenach I had a great time.

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 21:36
Beijing is pretty gross. Smog is what you breathe and see everywhere!! The sky is a yellowish green. D:
http://parksmission.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/beijing-smog.jpg

Most of the "blue sky" images you see are edited. China wants good tourism. :P

LaraLuvrrr
31-12-09, 21:46
^ I would never visit China. Im afraid of their food and their air

Los Angeles
31-12-09, 21:50
This thread got out of control with all the insults... :pi:

Drone
31-12-09, 21:55
cities or towns I don't care they're all the same, all I need is Bermuda!

touchthesky
31-12-09, 21:58
Wolverhampton ain't far from where I'm from and it's right..it's not pretty :p I'd say Coventry is worse tho *shudders*

Legend 4ever
31-12-09, 22:01
Honesly, I love LA, for me it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

laralives
31-12-09, 22:10

Last time I went, it was pink. Disgusting.

Tombraiderx08
31-12-09, 22:25
lulz, 2 are american cities XD

Aranara
31-12-09, 22:27
I can't believe Bucharest isn't there! :o:o

lara c. fan
31-12-09, 22:53

I guess its not as bad as you think it is then :p

Goose
31-12-09, 22:54
I live just North of Wolverhampton when im at work, there not far wrong.

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 23:10

The point of the thread is to detail hated cities. Nothing is off topic.

I hate Beijing because the air wasn't clean at all. It was not as nice as it is back home. :/

Los Angeles
31-12-09, 23:12
The point of the thread is to detail hated cities. Nothing is off topic.

I hate Beijing because the air wasn't clean at all. It was not as nice as it is back home. :/

'cause everything in America is nice... It isn't, the water there is dirty and stained compared to Europe. :wve:

TheBloodRed
31-12-09, 23:17
I live on the East coast and our water isn't bad at all.

England has too much bad weather though! xD

Tonyrobinson
01-01-10, 00:08
Why the hell is N.Ireland not on that list O_o

Smog
01-01-10, 00:12
Beijing is pretty gross. Smog is what you breathe and see everywhere!!

I'm everywhere!

Seriously though, Beijing is pretty rancid, but it's not all bad. I'd put Ulaanbaatar on this list. I stayed there for two days and ran out of things to do after about an hour.

BlackRainbow
01-01-10, 00:13
Guess I'm not going to those places then.

Marianna12
01-01-10, 00:18
It seems that pretty much everyone hates their city!:p
I thought LA was great though :\

digitizedboy
01-01-10, 00:20
We're neighbours with Wolverhampton and it's not as bad as they say.

Chocola teapot
01-01-10, 00:24
Newport should be on there. Ew.

Minty Mouth
01-01-10, 00:25
Never been to Wolverhampton.... But it sounds like a Pokémon.

Carbonek_0051
01-01-10, 00:27
Never been to Wolverhampton.... But it sounds like a Pokémon.

lmao

Legend 4ever
01-01-10, 00:39
'cause everything in America is nice... It isn't, the water there is dirty and stained compared to Europe. :wve:

True, I would never drink tap water. NEVER! The effects of it are yet to be seen.

But I don't drink tap water when I'm in Europe either, although it is better than in any other part of the world. My parents have started buying bottled water when I was eight, 10 years ago and we never stopped.

I love Evian.

Los Angeles
01-01-10, 00:41
True, I would never drink tap water. NEVER! The effects of it are yet to be seen.

But I don't drink tap water when I'm in Europe either, although it is better than in any other part of the world. My parents have started buying bottled water when I was eight, 10 years ago and we never stopped.

I love Evian.

It's just... First time I was on an american plane, I was thinking: What the heck? The water tasted so different, but then I got used to it. :)

Recording to a survey I live in a city where the water is very clean, maybe that's why I'm noticing easy changes.

Legend 4ever
01-01-10, 00:42
Why were you drinking tap water on a plane? Can you drink tap water on a plane?

Los Angeles
01-01-10, 00:44
Why were you drinking tap water on a plane? Can you drink tap water on a plane?

I don't know, it just had that nasty after taste feeling...

Legend 4ever
01-01-10, 00:47
I thought you can only buy stuff on planes and the stuff that's free has never been water. Then again, I always buy everything on flights, so how could I know?

Los Angeles
01-01-10, 00:48
I thought you can only buy stuff on planes and the stuff that's free has never been water. Then again, I always buy everything on flights, so how could I know?

It was a transatlantic flight. :ton: nah, whatever... i don't know, the water just tasted different... and in Michigan it tasted like Chlorine...

Minty Mouth
01-01-10, 01:03
It was a transatlantic flight. :ton: nah, whatever... i don't know, the water just tasted different... and in Michigan it tasted like Chlorine...

Water tastes different everywhere. You can move a few miles and the tap water tastes completely different.

LightningRider
01-01-10, 03:58
I feel our horrible city has gone unnoticed. :(

juicybubble
01-01-10, 04:03
I live in detroit!!! D:
I cant believe i live in the most unapealing city in the world.
Its not that bad aside from teh grafiti old gross buildings and crime everywhere and demolished buildings still there and all the hobo's everywhere!!!!

Aside from that its my home and i love it!

LightningRider
01-01-10, 04:16
I live in detroit!!! D:
Its not that bad aside from teh grafiti old gross buildings and crime everywhere and demolished buildings still there and all the hobo's everywhere!!!!

Aside from that its my home and i love it!

Contradiction? :rolleyes:

juicybubble
01-01-10, 04:18
I still love detroit tho :3

Ikas90
01-01-10, 04:38
And to think I'm going to Beijing this year lol. Look how polluted it is. It's actually sad.

As for tap water, I always drink it. It's good here. In some places it's disgusting though.

Aranara
01-01-10, 09:02
I love Evian.

Evian spelled backwards is naive. So it's the same with any bottled water.

Ilie_Fusarau
01-01-10, 09:40
To be honest I'm also shocked ! :p:ton:

Dark Lugia 2
01-01-10, 11:43
Woah, Beijing's polution looks disgusting :S

lara c. fan
01-01-10, 11:46

http://blog.pucp.edu.pe/media/497/20070902-Facepalm1.jpg

I do hope you realise that you just stated the facts why, right?

Mad Tony
01-01-10, 12:38
Why isn't Sydney on the listBecause it's a really nice place.

Paddy
01-01-10, 12:39
I hate Sydney, I cant stand being there the times I ever was.

scion05
01-01-10, 12:41
To be honest, I'd much sooner visit Melbourne, and most of Victoria if given the chance over New South Wales and Sydney.

Don't you like, live in Germany anyway lol ?

Wolverhampton ain't far from where I'm from and it's right..it's not pretty :p I'd say Coventry is worse tho *shudders*

Coventry is like Hiroshima... after the bomb.

Los Angeles
01-01-10, 12:48
I lived near Detroit, so yeah...

Detroit is a beautiful city. :pi:

scion05
01-01-10, 12:49
Oh's... eek :vlol: You live in Madonna-ville :D

Paddy
01-01-10, 12:50
Best city I have been to ever is Mt Gambier in South Australia.
Beautiful city, was where my dad grew up too.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-10, 13:55
^ I'd love to visit australia in general, sounds like such a beautiful country :cln:

Most cities are gross tbh - maybe it's because I'm a country girl - but pollution, large crowds, litter and crime are'nt things which appeal to me - and you know they happen in all cities.

I'm so so thankful I live where i do - near ' the most tranquil place in the uk' - kielder water :)

Paddy
01-01-10, 14:23
^ I'd love to visit australia in general, sounds like such a beautiful country :cln:

Most cities are gross tbh - maybe it's because I'm a country girl - but pollution, large crowds, litter and crime are'nt things which appeal to me - and you know they happen in all cities.

I'm so so thankful I live where i do - near ' the most tranquil place in the uk' - kielder water :)

That would be awesome if you did go to Australia ever :)

Legend 4ever
01-01-10, 14:27
Evian spelled backwards is naive. So it's the same with any bottled water.

What are you squawking about?

Mad Tony
01-01-10, 14:55
To be honest, I'd much sooner visit Melbourne, and most of Victoria if given the chance over New South Wales and Sydney.Why? I've been to both and I can honestly say Sydney is much nicer. Melbourne is still good though.

Lemmie
01-01-10, 16:44

Surely if a Scottish city is to be included at all, it would be Dundee?

(Glasgow rocks!)

Encore
01-01-10, 16:59
Glasgow is kinda ugly but it has an awesome art and music scene so I'm sure it's a loved city by many :)

Lemmie
01-01-10, 18:15
Glasgow is kinda ugly but it has an awesome art and music scene so I'm sure it's a loved city by many :)

Not ugly. Gritty perhaps. Soulfully urban even. :p

Besides, many of the Victorian and Edwardian buildings in the centre of town are stunning!

ShadyCroft
01-01-10, 21:15
They clearly haven't been to some of the ME countries. There are some pretty crowded and not nice cities in Syria, Egypt and even Jordan.

Catracoth
01-01-10, 21:19
Look at you all. You peasants are moaning about how crappy your cities are, and yet there are worse places to live. Instead of finding a thousand faults, why don't you find the good and appreciate it?

Because I'm pretty sure every single one of you would prefer to live where you do now opposed to in a cardboard box in the middle of a battlefield.

Your_Envy*
01-01-10, 21:21
^ I love my Slovenia! :D I'd live in Sweden too, but I like my country and the place I live. <3 However, I never visited any of this cities, so I don't know if they are really that bad.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-10, 21:23
That would be awesome if you did go to Australia ever :)

It's on my list of places to see :) Lets hope i come into a lot of money and get to go xxx

Look at you all. You peasants are moaning about how crappy your cities are, and yet there are worse places to live. Instead of finding a thousand faults, why don't you find the good and appreciate it?

Because I'm pretty sure every single one of you would prefer to live where you do now opposed to in a cardboard box in the middle of a battlefield.

I said i love where I live :) i never want to move from this area

ShadyCroft
01-01-10, 21:25

...says the guy who lives in New York. :p

Catracoth
01-01-10, 21:25
I was referring to the people who were complaining, Hayley, hence my post ;).

...says the guy who lives in New York. :p

I don't live in New York :ton: but I love it either way.

Your_Envy*
01-01-10, 21:26

Sorry. :o

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-10, 21:27

haha ok :p i really need a new brain

if you dont live in new york - where do you live ? :confused:

ShadyCroft
01-01-10, 21:27
I was referring to the people who were complaining, Hayley, hence my post

You're right actually in that its better we look at the positive and good stuff. The problem is, I really REALLY cant find anything good where I live.

Well, I have a roof over my head so I am grateful, but still...

I don't live in New York but I love it either way.

oh you don't ? :ton: were do you live then ?

Catracoth
01-01-10, 21:28
if you dont live in new york - where do you live ? :confused:

Ah, that's a secret my dear girl. My spirit is in New York, so that's good enough :p.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-10, 21:29
Ah, that's a secret my dear girl. My spirit is in New York, so that's good enough :p.

you sly old fox :pi: you planning to move to the big apple then? xxx

Catracoth
01-01-10, 21:50
you sly old fox :pi: you planning to move to the big apple then? xxx

If the journalism or teaching career paths I choose pay well enough, that'd be lovely. But a friend of mine is currently paying $800 a month for a studio apartment. I don't want to know how much a regular apartment's rent is. She can afford it though, her job pays very well I'm told. If I'm lucky, perhaps I could work with her, but until then, I'm stuck here in Ma--oh, that was a close one.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-10, 21:56
If the journalism or teaching career paths I choose pay well enough, that'd be lovely. But a friend of mine is currently paying $800 a month for a studio apartment. I don't want to know how much a regular apartment's rent is. She can afford it though, her job pays very well I'm told. If I'm lucky, perhaps I could work with her, but until then, I'm stuck here in Ma--oh, that was a close one.

aww come on, fess up and tell me where you live :ton: journalism and teching sound very interesting btw - i wish you luck :hug:

Catracoth
01-01-10, 22:00
Thanks for your blessing in my career choice, but you still aren't going to know where I live :p.

lara c. fan
01-01-10, 22:01
Thanks for your blessing in my career choice, but you still aren't going to know where I live :p.

I bet I know :pi:
Based on the "ma"

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-10, 22:01

oh you :p finnnnnnne xxx

Catracoth
01-01-10, 22:07
I bet I know :pi:
Based on the "ma"

You do realize there are literally hundreds of locations starting with the letters M and A, some not even in the United States.

Laras shadow
01-01-10, 22:11

lols we'll make it next year :ton:

lara c. fan
01-01-10, 22:14
You do realize there are literally hundreds of locations starting with the letters M and A, some not even in the United States.

Well, if you really are in New York, that is :pi:

Catracoth
01-01-10, 22:16

:wve:

lara c. fan
01-01-10, 22:17
:wve:

Curses!

I'm clueless......

Legend 4ever
01-01-10, 22:19
I'd like to move to Canada and I wonder if Vancouver is the best city for me. I really hate snow, so that's the only part of Canada that they don't get as much snow, right?

God Horus
01-01-10, 22:33
Canada does NOT have tons of snow and polar bears and moose everywhere, contrary to popular belief :p

It snows, but not like crazy.

Johnnay
01-01-10, 22:40
Because it's a really nice place.

compared to nearly any American cities crime ratings, yes

Why? I've been to both and I can honestly say Sydney is much nicer. Melbourne is still good though.

Sydneys transport system is one of the worst in the developed world

trust me on that

Legend 4ever
01-01-10, 22:47
Canada does NOT have tons of snow and polar bears and moose everywhere, contrary to popular belief :p

Well, I didn't think that, but in winter months, I would like to live somewhere where there's no snow. In Salt Lake, it snows from late November to March. It's depressing.

Encore
02-01-10, 15:38
Not ugly. Gritty perhaps. Soulfully urban even. :p

Besides, many of the Victorian and Edwardian buildings in the centre of town are stunning!

The impression I got from being there (in the center) was that there's not much sense in the combination of modern and old architecture. There are very pretty buildings but mixed with very ugly ones. I wasn't impressed at all.

Edinburgh, on the other hand, completely stole my heart! It's my number 1 city if I ever move out of Portugal :D

xXhayleyroxXx
02-01-10, 15:51

i would love to go to canada! :ton: apprently the weather is like england's but canada has hotter summers and sometimes colder winters

NemesisxAngelus
02-01-10, 16:11
Guess Amsterdam ain't that bad yet, but that's probably personal, because I get there every single time lost, it's actually impressive. :pi:

Lemmie
03-01-10, 16:21
The impression I got from being there (in the center) was that there's not much sense in the combination of modern and old architecture. There are very pretty buildings but mixed with very ugly ones. I wasn't impressed at all.

Edinburgh, on the other hand, completely stole my heart! It's my number 1 city if I ever move out of Portugal :D

Edinburgh's where I live at the moment for university. One day I'll have to make the ultimate decision - Edinburgh or Glasgow (or elsewhere).

It'll be a difficult one.

Encore
03-01-10, 16:32
OMG Edinburgh all the way!

After that my favourite scottish city was Inverness, there was something really special about being there. It feels very "winter-y" (even though I went in July), and I loved wandering around, walking by the water, etc. :)

Lemmie
03-01-10, 16:44
OMG Edinburgh all the way!

After that my favourite scottish city was Inverness, there was something really special about being there. It feels very "winter-y" (even though I went in July), and I loved wandering around, walking by the water, etc. :)

I LOVE Inverness. That whole area really. The Dornoch Sands, Dingwall, Tain, Portmahomack.

'Tis beautiful.

Noodleboy
03-01-10, 16:51
Guess Amsterdam ain't that bad yet, but that's probably personal, because I get there every single time lost, it's actually impressive. :pi:

Every day I have to go there for work, and it's always gross.. Garbage everywhere