PDA

View Full Version : What is the role of a moderator?

Quasimodo
02-01-10, 20:54
I came across an article on forum moderation which disagrees with the idea that a moderator's purpose is to act as a sort of police officer. The author argues the real purpose of a moderator is to promote interaction and discussion rather than repress it.

The real purpose of forum moderators revealed by Martin Reed (http://www.communityspark.com/the-real-purpose-of-forum-moderators-revealed/):

Forum moderators are not police officers

The biggest mistake forum owners make when taking on forum moderators is expecting them to police the community. Many see the main role of moderators as enforcers of the site rules, as people who delete posts they don’t like and lock topics the moment they run off-course. If these are the priorities of your moderators, you are doing it all wrong.

As I have said before, you must never repress your community. You must ensure that you moderate your forum effectively – this means adopting a laissez-faire approach and allowing your members a large amount of freedom. If you or your moderators crack down on members the second they step out of line, you will be sending a negative signal to your community that free speech is not tolerated on your site. You will make people nervous and discourage them from getting involved – hardly the ingredients for a successful community!

Forum moderators should promote interaction

The primary role of a forum moderator should be to promote interaction. A forum moderator should be posting new threads and adding new content to the site. They should be helping out members with their queries and they should be keeping threads alive by asking questions.

I am not saying that forum moderators shouldn’t be allowed to delete or lock threads that are inappropriate – of course this should be one of their roles. What I am saying is this should never be their primary role.

When you take on forum moderators you need to make it clear exactly what you expect from them. Most moderators see themselves as forum police officers and will only edit/delete/lock content without creating any themselves. This is a mistake – make sure your moderators know that their primary role is to encourage interaction, to encourage member involvement, and to encourage a sense of community within your forum.

What are your thoughts and philosophies on forum moderation?

xXhayleyroxXx
02-01-10, 20:57
i completely agree with that post - sorry mods, but sometimes you're you come across a little harsh - although usually an excellent job is done :)

Minimus
02-01-10, 20:58
i completely agree with that post - sorry mods, but sometimes you're you come across a little harsh - although usually an excellent job is done :)

I agree. :)

tombraiderluka
02-01-10, 20:59
Well some mods do promote interaction, like Mr. Burns for example. :tmb:

Reggie
02-01-10, 21:02
I agree with that article and I think that all the moderators except from one more or less follow a similar philosophy. The said moderator has actually put me off from contributing to the Tomb Raider section in the foreseeable future because of their attitude and approach as both a moderator and member. 'Take it up via PM' I'll probably get told - well I think it would probably be useless. I find her, negative, dogmatic, snobbish and on two occassions now I've opened a thread, had it locked then a similar one has followed only for it to remain open. Go figure.

Legend 4ever
02-01-10, 21:03
Well some mods do promote interaction, like Mr. Burns for example. :tmb:
Yes, but not all and not often. I completely agree with the article, funnily enough I've been saying something similar for the last couple of days in the "new forum rules suggestions" thread.

tombraiderluka
02-01-10, 21:03
I agree with that article and I think that all the moderators except from one more or less follow a similar philosophy. The said moderator has actually put me off from contributing to the Tomb Raider section in the foreseeable future because of their attitude and approach as both a moderator and member. 'Take it up via PM' I'll probably get told - well I think it would probably be useless.
I think I know who you are talking about :)

Minty Mouth
02-01-10, 21:05
Well, there are indeed many moderators here who already do that stuff. Threads very rarely get closed for any other reason than that another duplicate thread exists, and posts are hardly ever deleted unless they are totally counter-productive.

Draco
Well, it seems the moderator subject just isn't going to go away. No amount of discussion will change how things are done around here, just give up.

xXhayleyroxXx
I agree with that article and I think that all the moderators except from one more or less follow a similar philosophy. The said moderator has actually put me off from contributing to the Tomb Raider section in the foreseeable future because of their attitude and approach as both a moderator and member. 'Take it up via PM' I'll probably get told - well I think it would probably be useless.

agreed - i took it up via pm and i got ignored. when a mod makes you feel **** about yourself - you know thats very wrong

Tony9595
I'm sure some of our mods act like they should, good examples IMO are Ward Dragon and Aussie500 in the TR games related forum; Jackles and Mr.Burns are the ones I've seen in OC and not always closing threads or acting like if they never smile :)

Gabi is always doing a great job in the congrats section, Mytly and Apofiss with the OSCs and well, the list can go on.

I dislike when people judge mods without even knowing them, I don't know them perfectly but I see that they're doing their job correctly.

Sometimes I feel that people love bashing the forum or certain mods.

tombraiderluka
02-01-10, 21:08
Well people ain't bashing anyone without a reason.

So I hefta inject myself with insulin :wve:

Phlip
02-01-10, 21:09
I agree with that article and I think that all the moderators except from one more or less follow a similar philosophy. The said moderator has actually put me off from contributing to the Tomb Raider section in the foreseeable future because of their attitude and approach as both a moderator and member. 'Take it up via PM' I'll probably get told - well I think it would probably be useless. I find them, negative, dogmatic, snobbish and on two occassions now I've opened a thread, had it locked then a similar one has followed only for it to remain open. Go figure.
I definitely agree about the snobbish.
agreed - i took it up via pm and i got ignored. when a mod makes you feel **** about yourself - you know thats very wrong

Yeah, I once had to ask 3 different mods in PM to make a poll for me and only one had the decency to tell me it probably wouldn't be allowed. Why the **** didn't the other stuck up snobs tell me? Really, a lot of them need to get their mardy arses off their high horse. Sorry.

Love2Raid
02-01-10, 21:10
I think mods should be active members in the first place. Members who discuss, open 'regular' threads, join competitions etc but are able to take action when things get out of hand. I have seen a few here who already do this. :)

Phlip
02-01-10, 21:12
I very rarely see Apofiss, DREWEY, Bokkie, McJ and Simulation online and they're mods. I just LOVE how that defies logic totally.

:rolleyes:

Reggie
02-01-10, 21:12
*Shrugs* My philosophy is as such: Enforce rules fairly and act like any decent member (i.e. not being rude and actually trying to listen to other people) would and then there's no problem. I won't discuss Aussie any further here (may as well say seeing as people find it so obvious) because I think its unfair to draw it out in public but I've said my bit on something I've thought for a long time.

tombraiderluka
02-01-10, 21:13
I very rarely see Apofiss, DREWEY, Bokkie, McJ and Simulation online and they're mods. I just LOVE how that defies logic totally.

:rolleyes:
They have the 'invisible' mod.

Tony9595
02-01-10, 21:13
The only thing I don't see appropriate, is that most of them use the "Invisible mode" which makes it hard to notice if they're online or not. Sometimes we need to ask or tell something to them and thanks to it we don't have idea of which should we contact or when to do it.

knightgames
02-01-10, 21:14
TRF is a pretty large forum. There's a lot to moderate, and with that size comes the responsability to keep riff raff down. I do agree moderating can and would be nice to include fostering topics and discussions, but it may not always be practical.

My only real beef (and it's more a preference than I think that the moderators and administrators are doing anything wrong) is the 3 month dead topic rule, and the way some repetative posts are shut down.

I'd prefer that any thread without a post for 3 months (or whatever length of time deemed appropriate) would automaically go to an archive read only mode. It would avoid confusion with old threads that have been dead and buried, and would avoid unecessary hard feelings. After all, someone who reads a post from a while ago and responds has something to say regarding tha matter. It's not like they've dug up something for giggles or annoyance factor.

Instead of shutting down topics that are repetative/duplicate, is there a way to nest the new topic into the older one?

Other than that I do feel many of the mods participate in conversation as much as they can.

Thanks guys.

Phlip
02-01-10, 21:16
TRF is a pretty large forum. There's a lot to moderate, and with that size comes the responsability to keep riff raff down. I do agree moderating can and would be nice to include fostering topics and discussions, but it may not always be practical.

My only real beef (and it's more a preference than I think that the moderators and administrators are doing anything wrong) is the 3 month dead topic rule, and the way some repetative posts are shut down.

I'd prefer that any thread without a post for 3 months (or whatever length of time deemed appropriate) would automaically go to an archive read only mode. It would avoid confusion with old threads that have been dead and buried, and would avoid unecessary hard feelings. After all, someone who reads a post from a while ago and responds has something to say regarding tha matter. It's not like they've dug up something for giggles or annoyance factor.

Instead of shutting down topics that are repetative/duplicate, is there a way to nest the new topic into the older one?

Other than that I do feel many of the mods participate in conversation as much as they can.

Thanks guys.

I've always thought the "bumping old threads" rule was the stupidest and most pointless. If there's already a thread even if it happens to be the first thread ever made on the forum and you have a question on that topic, why the hell make a new thread? :confused:They have the 'invisible' mod.
I rarely see them post.
The only thing I don't see appropriate, is that most of them use the "Invisible mode" which makes it hard to notice if they're online or not. Sometimes we need to ask or tell something to them and thanks to it we don't have idea of which should we contact or when to do it.

Yes. :tmb:

Draco
02-01-10, 21:17
Yeah, I think it is retarded to have a rule saying you can't post in an open topic. I mean that is the whole frackin point of the topic being open is it not? If it is such a bad thing, turn autolocking on, takes two minutes tops. and it can be set to specific forum sections.

Love2Raid
02-01-10, 21:18

Thanks guys.

Yeah, you can merge threads. But for some reason they don't do that here. I guess it interferes with the conversation in that thread (since a load of 'random' posts gets added to the thread).

jackles
02-01-10, 21:18
I use invisible mod because I am often quite slow when reading up threads and like to get it done without making any one feel I am ignoring them instead of chatting! Plus I am usually posting if I am around so people know I am here. :)

It isn't so I can swoop on you from a great height.....

But I guess you all know that I won't feel happy if this thread isn't constructive.

I can understand how people can find it hard to know which mod to ask something for if we are invisible and there is also the thing that we are from all over the world...someone may want something done in the middle of the night...hmmmm maybe a sort of idea of the best person to pm for something ....

Draco
02-01-10, 21:20
What would be handy is if there was a general means to contact a moderator rather than trying to hunt them down specifically. Maybe similar to a customer service ticket system, like how many MMORPGs do it.

xXhayleyroxXx
02-01-10, 21:20
I definitely agree about the snobbish.

Yeah, I once had to ask 3 different mods in PM to make a poll for me and only one had the decency to tell me it probably wouldn't be allowed. Why the **** didn't the other stuck up snobs tell me? Really, a lot of them need to get their mardy arses off their high horse. Sorry.

yeah thats's true :p sorry mods, theres a few of you who are lovely, lovely people, who i enjoy talking to and who do a good job. But theres one mod on this forum who has made me cry becausethey made me feel so **** - ok so im sensitive but nobody deserves to feel like that.

Rai
02-01-10, 21:22
Sorry to 'act' mod here, but don't we already have Mod threads already active? The description given in the OP seems about right to me. I feel that, generally, the mods here act in the 'correct' manner. None of them seem obsesively harsh and there are plenty here who are active memebers too. If anyone has a specific problem wth a mod, I think it best to be kept to PM. People need to realise that mods have lives outside the forums and may not always have the time to be active all of the time and not in every section. Mods are still human and may interpret a rule slightly differently to others. They can't always consult with each other to see what the best action is. They may need to make a descision there and then.

aktrekker
02-01-10, 21:22
That's it! This thread is gone. :mad:
:vlol:

That is, of course, one person's opinion. And I bet he's been nailed for violating forum rules before.

Forum moderators should promote interaction

The primary role of a forum moderator should be to promote interaction. A forum moderator should be posting new threads and adding new content to the site. They should be helping out members with their queries and they should be keeping threads alive by asking questions.

We shouldn't have to promote interaction. That should be a natural occurrence in a forum. That is, after all, what they are for. It's why you all joined. If it's necessary for us to promote interaction, then there's a major problem with the membership.

It is not our job to keep threads alive. It is the responsibility of the OP to keep their own thread alive. If they don't then they really don't care, so let it die.

Or do you think I'm wrong?

Yeah, you can merge threads. But for some reason they don't do that here. I guess it interferes with the conversation in that thread (since a load of 'random' posts gets added to the thread).

My understanding is that it screws up the search engine.

jackles
02-01-10, 21:24
What would be handy is if there was a general means to contact a moderator rather than trying to hunt them down specifically. Maybe similar to a customer service ticket system, like how many MMORPGs do it.

Thats an interesting idea, I always feel bad if I have had a pm in the middle of the night or some other time when I really wouldn't be here and haven't seen it for hours. (I am not here all the time! honest!)

Draco
02-01-10, 21:24
aktrekker

What do you think your role is here then?

tombofwinston
02-01-10, 21:25
I think the Mods do great jobs, But some just seem to be here to close threads and don't really join in , Which is a shame really.

Legend 4ever
02-01-10, 21:26
So mods should only be there to yell and delete "spam"? Puh-leeze.

If it's all "rules, rules, rules" people get suffocated.

lara c. fan
02-01-10, 21:28
That's it! This thread is gone. :mad:
:vlol:

That is, of course, one person's opinion. And I bet he's been nailed for violating forum rules before.

We shouldn't have to promote interaction. That should be a natural occurrence in a forum. That is, after all, what they are for. It's why you all joined. If it's necessary for us to promote interaction, then there's a major problem with the membership.

It is not our job to keep threads alive. It is the responsibility of the OP to keep their own thread alive. If they don't then they really don't care, so let it die.

However stupid my reasons sound, I have to disagree with you.
I have seen threads that have gone down with the OP being the last poster.
To keep it alive, that person would have to double post, which I think doesn't sit well with mods.

:pi:

Reggie
02-01-10, 21:30

Or do you think I'm wrong?

As a moderator you are the lead that other members will follow and part of setting a good example should be by being contributor to the community. If you don't try to make a contribution then members won't be able to relate to you and probably vice versa. By simply taking part, making posts and threads you are already promoting interaction. In short, moderators and the team are the foundation of the community - therefore, interaction with the rest of the community is very important and in an ideal situation, mods/admins would contribute regularly.

Aranara
02-01-10, 21:30
To keep it alive, that person would have to double post, which I think doesn't sit well with mods.

Exactly my thoughts.

Minty Mouth
02-01-10, 21:31

...in which case, nobody else wants to discuss the topic at hand :p

...And bumping is just bad ettiquette.

IMO, a thread should remain postable until another thread causes it to become irrelevant.

aktrekker
If nobody wants to reply then the thread is already dead. What's the problem?

Nenya awakens
yeah thats's true :p sorry mods, theres a few of you who are lovely, lovely people, who i enjoy talking to and who do a good job. But theres one mod on this forum who has made me cry becausethey made me feel so **** - ok so im sensitive but nobody deserves to feel like that.

You need to remember tht this is just @ forum then n not re@l life.

(keybords broken)

Phlip
02-01-10, 21:33
It's not good when moderators delete posts and don't bother to PM the user why it was deleted.

That makes no difference.

xXhayleyroxXx
02-01-10, 21:34

(keybords broken)

but a mod's responsibility is to keep the forum in order - not to bully people
hey, i can look after myself but i dont like being made to feel small just because somebody feels the need to be mean

lara c. fan
02-01-10, 21:35
If nobody wants to reply then the thread is already dead. What's the problem?

But if someone who didn't see that thread then wants to post in it, but didn't see it becuase it was lost in the pages and pages of threads, that post may start of an entirely new, well, lease of life for the thread.

I can't think of a better way to phrase it...

Draco
It's not good when moderators delete posts and don't bother to PM the user why it was deleted.

I don't think mods should be able to delete posts at all. Some level of transparency is necessary.

Quasimodo

I don't think the moderation here is as harsh as some posts are making it out to be. Sometimes it is acceptable to double post, like if you've got new content/info to share, but not if you're just fishing for replies. It's pretty easy to pick up on the different types:p

I don't think the article is trying to push that moderators should be responsible for keeping every thread alive. If the OP isn't enthusiastic/the timing is off/the subject matter simply doesn't interest other members to comment, it's not the moderators' problem.

What made me think back to this article was when I saw a mod had earned a reputation as a rather rampant thread closer, which I found disconcerting.

aktrekker
02-01-10, 21:36
aktrekker

What do you think your role is here then?

Same as it was before I became a mod. Be a member first.
But with additional responsibility of stopping spam, stopping fights, trying to keep things clean.
Chaos would make it impossible for anyone to benefit from the forum.

tombraiderluka
02-01-10, 21:37
I don't think the moderation here is as harsh as some posts are making it out to be. Sometimes it is acceptable to double post, like if you've got new content/info to share, but not if you're just fishing for replies. It's pretty easy to pick up on the different types:p

I don't think the article is trying to push that moderators should be responsible for keeping every thread alive. If the OP isn't enthusiastic/the timing is off/the subject matter simply doesn't interest other members to comment, it's not the moderators' problem.

What made me think back to this article was when I saw a mod had earned a reputation as a rather rampant thread closer, which I found disconcerting.
Maybe there should be more mods.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Phlip
02-01-10, 21:38
But if someone who didn't see that thread then wants to post in it, but didn't see it becuase it was lost in the pages and pages of threads, that post may start of an entirely new, well, lease of life for the thread.

That a new batch of people can see it. XD If a thread is made in the morning, those who are usually on later will most likely not see it but could easily interested them.
I don't think mods should be able to delete posts at all. Some level of transparency is necessary.

Same - just edit.

tombraiderluka
02-01-10, 21:40
That a new batch of people can see it. XD If a thread is made in the morning, those who are usually on later will most likely not see it but could easily interested them.

Same - just edit.
Yes but maybe, mods wanna punish members with having less posts, but say posts are not what's important :confused:

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

lara c. fan
02-01-10, 21:41

Bingo :tmb:

Reggie
If the moderating team is stretched to the point where they feel they only have time to carry out moderating duties instead of actually posting regular stuff they're interested in, then perhaps taking on more moderators is necessary in recognition of how busy this forum is.

knightgames

Other forums I visit have a 'report this post function' so a moderator could act upon a situation. A handy dandy service button would be nice. A mod logs into TRF and is automatically connected to that button so when a member executes it the mod is buzzed.

Could it be abused? Maybe, but for those who need the help of a moderator I think it would be a good feature.

lara c. fan
02-01-10, 21:42
Other forums I visit have a 'report this post function' so a moderator could act upon a situation. A handy dandy service button would be nice. A mod logs into TRF and is automatically connected to that button so when a member executes it the mod is buzzed.

Could it be abused? Maybe, but for those who need the help of a moderator I think it would be a good feature.

We do have a report post button...

Draco
02-01-10, 21:42
I'd say a forum should have at least one mod per 100 active members.

aktrekker
02-01-10, 21:44

We don't close threads just because they get old. That should be evident from the many 1/2 year old threads that have been revived.
Most threads are no longer relevant after a certain amount of time. So bringing them back is considered spam. But if a thread is still relevant, and the person who revives it actually adds something to the conversation, we can let it go. We've done that in the trle forum.
But when the only reason for bringing back the thread is to say "ZOMG" or "I never saw this before" or "I had the same problem", then it was not necessary to post at all. Just read it.

Punaxe
02-01-10, 21:45
(...) We shouldn't have to promote interaction. That should be a natural occurrence in a forum. That is, after all, what they are for. It's why you all joined. If it's necessary for us to promote interaction, then there's a major problem with the membership.

Or do you think I'm wrong? (...)

I think you're right. What is said in the article should be the attitude of all the members. Moderators, on top of being members, have additional powers to enforce the rules.

lara c. fan
02-01-10, 21:46
We don't close threads just because they get old. That should be evident from the many 1/2 year old threads that have been revived.
Most threads are no longer relevant after a certain amount of time. So bringing them back is considered spam. But if a thread is still relevant, and the person who revives it actually adds something to the conversation, we can let it go. We've done that in the trle forum.
But when the only reason for bringing back the thread is to say "ZOMG" or "I never saw this before" or "I had the same problem", then it was not necessary to post at all. Just read it.

I never said you did. If that was implied, I'm sorry.

Mr.Burns
02-01-10, 21:47
I think it's quite interesting that over the past few months, anything regarding the current state of the forum administration or the moderation staff has always been raised by you Heather. More to the point I find it interesting that you have managed to pick topics that you know will annoy the moderation staff yet also bounds our hands in such a way that if we spoke up against it even in a non judgemental manner, such action could be used against any moderator to shoot them down or make them look foolish. I for one am not fooled by your attempts to amuse yourself by watching the mod staff mysteriously vanish or have to constantly defend ourselves whenever a topic such as this is brought up. You may be hiding behind the guise of someone who claims to have the best interests for the forum at heart but I know better. I am fully aware that I will receive flack for this and frankly, I don't give a damn because I am sick of you and others thinking that you have to constantly stir the pot in the name of transparency when in reality, it's for your own amusement.

I have always tried my best to do what I can to make this a better place and frankly, threads like this do nothing productive except stir up sentiments. I have mentioned time and time again that the entire moderation staff are willing to hear any concerns that are brought to their attentions. I myself have had people bring their problems to me and I listen. I am sure you will either find amusement that I have supposedly finally fallen for your bait or will receive a bunch of "don't attack Quasimodo" posts but the issue is, I for one have had it. If you have a problem, you bring it to me. But since you seem to take more pleasure in causing the moderation staff displeasure than genuinely wanting to help, I see you as nothing more than a troll. I do not care if my reputation is damaged by this post but those that know me, know that I am fair, reasonable but do not like to be pushed around. You wanted a heated response Heather, you got it.

knightgames
02-01-10, 21:49
I use invisible mod because I am often quite slow when reading up threads and like to get it done without making any one feel I am ignoring them instead of chatting! Plus I am usually posting if I am around so people know I am here. :)

It isn't so I can swoop on you from a great height.....

But I guess you all know that I won't feel happy if this thread isn't constructive.

I can understand how people can find it hard to know which mod to ask something for if we are invisible and there is also the thing that we are from all over the world...someone may want something done in the middle of the night...hmmmm maybe a sort of idea of the best person to pm for something ....

I find the level of intelligence on this forum to be pretty high. I don't know what the median age of the forum is, but many people write detailed thought prevoking threads. Other topics are thousands of posts long. I can't imagine HAVING to go through them all the time.

It's like your first job in the ice cream parlour. "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ice Cream!" Then after working there a while it's like "meh, ice cream."

While coming to the forums should be fun I imagine the burdon of moderating sort of somewhat sours the natural enjoyment of TRF.

They ain't perfect. But they're not paid either.

EscondeR
02-01-10, 21:50

At your service (PM buttons included) (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showgroups.php) :wve:

I agree with that article and I think that all the moderators except from one more or less follow a similar philosophy. The said moderator has actually put me off from contributing to the Tomb Raider section in the foreseeable future because of their attitude and approach as both a moderator and member. 'Take it up via PM' I'll probably get told - well I think it would probably be useless. I find her, negative, dogmatic, snobbish and on two occassions now I've opened a thread, had it locked then a similar one has followed only for it to remain open. Go figure.

I think I know who you are talking about :)

*Shrugs* My philosophy is as such: Enforce rules fairly and act like any decent member (i.e. not being rude and actually trying to listen to other people) would and then there's no problem. I won't discuss Aussie any further here (may as well say seeing as people find it so obvious) because I think its unfair to draw it out in public but I've said my bit on something I've thought for a long time.

I can see the future of this particular thread as not very bright as it is going down to secret behind-the-back rat fuss initially (like some others).

tombraiderluka
02-01-10, 21:51
I think it's quite interesting that over the past few months, anything regarding the current state of the forum administration or the moderation staff has always been raised by you Heather. More to the point I find it interesting that you have managed to pick topics that you know will annoy the moderation staff yet also bounds our hands in such a way that if we spoke up against it even in a non judgemental manner, such action could be used against any moderator to shoot them down or make them look foolish. I for one am not fooled by your attempts to amuse yourself by watching the mod staff mysteriously vanish or have to constantly defend ourselves whenever a topic such as this is brought up. You may be hiding behind the guise of someone who claims to have the best interests for the forum at heart but I know better. I am fully aware that I will receive flack for this and frankly, I don't give a damn because I am sick of you and others thinking that you have to constantly stir the pot in the name of transparency when in reality, it's for your own amusement.

I have always tried my best to do what I can to make this a better place and frankly, threads like this do nothing productive except stir up sentiments. I have mentioned time and time again that the entire moderation staff are willing to hear any concerns that are brought to their attentions. I myself have had people bring their problems to me and I listen. I am sure you will either find amusement that I have supposedly finally fallen for your bait or will receive a bunch of "don't attack Quasimodo" posts but the issue is, I for one have had it. If you have a problem, you bring it to me. But since you seem to take more pleasure in causing the moderation staff displeasure than genuinely wanting to help, I see you as nothing more than a troll. I do not care if my reputation is damaged by this post but those that know me, know that I am fair, reasonable but do not like to be pushed around. You wanted a heated response Heather, you got it.
tbh, i can see your point

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Minty Mouth
02-01-10, 21:52
At your service (PM buttons included) (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showgroups.php) :wve:

I think what Draco meant was a sort of, Error report :p Where it is submitted, and then the Moderators check the recent entries, and the first Mod to see it deals with it, that way the ball keeps rolling.

Am I right? :¬/

EscondeR
02-01-10, 21:57
^
A. We have "report post" button.

B. A member interested can easily use PM button and copy/paste certain link to drag mod attention to specific post/thread/situation. Well it'll take a bit more time and effort to perform... but you don't need a dedicated button to get up from the bed ;)

lara c. fan
02-01-10, 21:59
I find the level of intelligence on this forum to be pretty high. I don't know what the median age of the forum is, but many people write detailed thought prevoking threads. Other topics are thousands of posts long. I can't imagine HAVING to go through them all the time.

It's like your first job in the ice cream parlour. "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ice Cream!" Then after working there a while it's like "meh, ice cream."

While coming to the forums should be fun I imagine the burdon of moderating sort of somewhat sours the natural enjoyment of TRF.

They ain't perfect. But they're not paid either.

I agree with that, TBH.

Minty Mouth
02-01-10, 21:59
^
A. We have "report post" button.

B. A member interested can easily use PM button and copy/paste certain link to drag mod attention to specific post/thread/situation. Well it'll take a bit more time and effort to perform... but you don't need a dedicated button to get up from the bed ;)

The report post button is a perfect example, only sometimes you do not want to report a post, you have a general query, or would like a poll created. Is it not possible for such a system as the Report Post function to be implemented across all sorts of query?

Reggie
02-01-10, 22:00
I can see the future of this particular thread as not very bright as it is going down to secret behind-the-back rat fuss initially (like some others).
Read my last post. I'm done with discussing that. I've made posts on other stuff regarding moderation since then. And in my defense, at least I'm not backstabbing Aussie by saying nasty stuff about her in private with friends which is what I'm sure plenty of other people have done with any moderator that has managed to annoy them.

EscondeR
02-01-10, 22:03
Read my last post. I'm done with discussing that.

Me too BTW. I wasn't directing you only TBH :)

Anyway I'm out seeing the actual intended purpose of this thread, not the disguise.

Minty Mouth
02-01-10, 22:05
Me too BTW. I wasn't directing you only TBH :)

Anyway I'm out seeing the actual intended purpose of this thread, not the disguise.

I take it it's not possible then?

Drone
02-01-10, 22:05
in a nutshell:

What is the role of a moderator?

To be fair. If you're fair then that's fine, otherwise you suck as a mod and most likely you suck as a person too

tombofwinston
02-01-10, 22:07

I agree with this, There has certainly be lots of "Mod Questioning" threads lately, Which are probbably to make people join the OP's in a kind of pety rebellion against the mods, Probbably to change things they don't like about them. They want the threads closed, So they will use it against the mod who closed it.
Absolutley rediculous, The mods here arn't much to complain about, They keep order in this place, With their own time, For Free, And If you don't like them then **** off to Eidos forums :wve: .

Carbonek_0051
02-01-10, 22:08
Wow...I love how far this thread has come.

AmericanAssassin
02-01-10, 22:09
The only complaint I have is that some mods have a very wide definition of spamming. I don't think there's anything wrong with a topic going off on a tangent or two. Simply reminding the members of what the topic is should be enough. I hate to see interesting threads get closed. Otherwise, I'd say the mods are doing a great job. I don't have any complaints about anyone in specific. They're all great people. :hug:

laracroftswest
02-01-10, 22:17

I ****ing hate it when that happens. About two or three her do that. Names will go unmentioned.

viper456
02-01-10, 22:18
I agree with the OP article.

Marianna12
02-01-10, 22:19
There have been many complaints about mods lately, I don't understand why. I don't see any difference in their behaviour from 1 year ago, when I joined.
I think they do a great job, and I have nothing to complain about. I haven't talked with any mod, but most of them seem really nice and friendly.
I don't blame you all, for saying that they have a "wide definition of spamming", as I have seen a couple of good threads being closed for that reason. But many of you complain all the time, and with no reason imo.:)

Tombraiderx08
02-01-10, 22:20
I think the role of a Moderator is to enforce forum roles whenever balance is interrupted, to inspire conversation and success in the forums, basically, I think they are like the battery or brain of everything, they keep everything in check whenever things start to go wrong, we need em :hug:

Catracoth
02-01-10, 22:21
If you or your moderators crack down on members the second they step out of line, you will be sending a negative signal to your community that free speech is not tolerated on your site.

That line is spot on.

Eddie Haskell
02-01-10, 22:36
I think the moderators do a darn good job. And to be honest, I think they are far too permissive. If this were my forum, I would not be as "nice" as they are to those who seek to bring the quality of the debate down, and who only come in here to gossip, chit-chat and spread discontent. This is after all a forum dedicated to all things Tomb Raider. But that's just my personal feelings, and I fully understand why these things are allowed, and why it will continue to be so. If this is a privately held (owned) forum, than the owner should be able to do what he wants with it, no matter what that entails. he shouldn't have to justify anything to anybody.

Quasimodo
02-01-10, 22:36
I think starting this thread was a bad idea. There's no need to stir up any more bad blood. Moderators, feel free to close this.

Reggie
02-01-10, 22:38
I have always tried my best to do what I can to make this a better place and frankly, threads like this do nothing productive except stir up sentiments. I have mentioned time and time again that the entire moderation staff are willing to hear any concerns that are brought to their attentions.

If that's the case then I've probably taken the wrong COA and I apologise for that. I've sent you a PM anyway. All other comments I've made in this thread have purely been in the spirit of constructive discussion.

I'm just sick of people trying to get one over on each other here, I'm tired of the distrust and the grudges and the cliques and the ulterior motives - such annoyance is what has made me say what I say. Paranoia and not knowing where you are with people sucks - a thread like this and other such threads that Heather has posted, regardless of its ijtention will attract loads of attention because everyone is aware of such an atmosphere.

Of course, it would be easy to put the blame on the moderators but I don't think that's right. We're ALL members here and we all have a responsibility to be part of a community, not divide it.

I think I've said enough for one day.

TRfan23
02-01-10, 22:38
Can we please cut down the threads based on 'How a moderator should do their job' :(

I swear the Heather I knew made threads which were funny and amusing. Where's she gone? :(

Justin (or if any mod can) check her IP to see whether it's her using her account and no douchebag :o

Quasimodo
02-01-10, 22:39
Can we please cut down the threads based on 'How a moderator should do their job' :(

I swear the Heather I knew made threads which were funny and amusing. Where's she gone? :(

Justin (or if any mod can) check her IP to see whether it's her using her account and no douchebag :o

No, it's me alright. Being an idiot.

Catracoth
02-01-10, 22:42
No, it's me alright. Being an idiot.

It's not you, Heather. It's the community, which unfortunately lacks in ability to handle this thread maturely and civilly.

jackles
02-01-10, 22:43
I think starting this thread was a bad idea. There's no need to stir up any more bad blood. Moderators, feel free to close this.

I will do it then if that is what you want,

closed at OP's request.