PDA

View Full Version : First Tomb Raider Experience

larafan25
03-01-10, 15:18
so, not sure if this belongs in another section but please move if necessary:)

I have been thinking lately about how people talk about their first playthrough of a tomb raider game and how magical it felt and a whole bunch of other things...

Anyways what I would like to know is this, for those of you who's first tomb raider game was TRL, was it a magical experience for you? do you think your experience with this game (being your first) is just as special as someone else's first tomb raider experience when playing TR1? Did this game make you want more?

:)

just*raidin*tomb
03-01-10, 15:45

I have been thinking lately about how people talk about their first playthrough of a tomb raider game and how magical it felt and a whole bunch of other things...

Anyways what I would like to know is this, for those of you who's first tomb raider game was TRL, was it a magical experience for you? do you think your experience with this game (being your first) is just as special as someone else's first tomb raider experience when playing TR1? Did this game make you want more?

Very good questions! :tmb: I'd like to know this as well. The first games I've played were TR1 or TR2 (can't remember) and both of them were really a "magical" experience. Not just a game, but and experience. This is one of the hardest things in the world to describe!:p TRL was fun and I love TR so yes I wanted more, but I would NEVER call it a "magical experience." But truly, it was AOD that really brought me to loving Tomb Raider as much as I do today.:hug:

It would be very interesting to know about others opinions though, specifically those who were entised in recent years. :wve:

Eddie Haskell
03-01-10, 15:51
I would also be interested in reading this. I will add one important fact pertaining to the usage of the word "magical" as it pertains to the original Tomb Raider. It was the first game of it's kind (from a technical point of view) for many gamers, and therefore the experience would naturally be different and perhaps "magical".

Catracoth
03-01-10, 17:30
I think this thread is more suitable for General Chat.

As to the topic, honestly, no Tomb Raider game has been "magical" for me--I've just enjoyed them all massively.

just*raidin*tomb
03-01-10, 17:32
^ What's the difference? I think that's what he/she was referring to...not pixie dust magic.:p

Catracoth
03-01-10, 17:34
^ What's the difference? I think that's what he/she was referring to...not pixie dust magic.:p

Well that's thinking inside the quadrilateral parallelogram :rolleyes:. Larafan25, from my interpretation, meant by "magical" was something along the lines of the game blowing you away, making you interested in Tomb Raider even more, a driving sensation to desire more of the game, more of Lara Croft--magical.

For me, it was just "Oh this game is good. Looking forward to the next."

Tear
03-01-10, 17:51

Yes, I fell in love with Legend, and I still am.:tmb:

just*raidin*tomb
03-01-10, 17:53
Well that's thinking inside the quadrilateral parallelogram :rolleyes:. Larafan25, from my interpretation, meant by "magical" was something along the lines of the game blowing you away, making you interested in Tomb Raider even more, a driving sensation to desire more of the game, more of Lara Croft--magical.

For me, it was just "Oh this game is good. Looking forward to the next."

Well, it was "magical" for me. I wasn't being literal btw.:vlol: I NEVER think inside the box.:mis:

Evan C.
03-01-10, 18:12
It's just uncomparable.I played Tomb Raider on Playstation on 1996,and that game was a revolution.The context and a LOT of another items made of our experience magical and absolutely beautiful.There's no possible comparation,and just if a Tomb Raider absolutely revolutionary not only to the industry,but also for entertainment,that would be comparable.I get were you wanna go with this thread,but IMO those who have played TRL as their first TR game can't compare absolutely nothing.

Vinkula
03-01-10, 18:38
My first Tomb Raider experience was TR4's demo on PS1. I played it with my father and we were just like "Where those f**king sleletons came from?", well, my father was :--D

Then I forgot the demo and I played Crash Bandicoot games (OFF topic, yeah).
Then I moved to here where I live now and I watched my cousin was playing as a woman who looks so similar to one, I played on PS1. I asked who is she and she said "Her name is Lara Croft and this is Tomb Raider 3" and we started to play it. I remember when we scared one tiger :vlol: ohh, good times. And Winston, ggaah! Go to freezer, old man! To us the whole game was so scary. My first expression was just... "WOW, scary!" ... And then I forgot Tomb Raider again. And in 2007, I got Anniversary (:
Now I have all, but not TR1 :) I love Tomb Raider's so much :) Every game has one own thing, what makes every TR-game playable! :)

LightningRider
03-01-10, 19:32
I was 3-4, I don't remember. Naive enough to play Tomb Raider 1, foolish enough to think that I would have made it out alive. There she was, the beautiful Ms. Croft, and here I started running, forgive me for the fact that I had no idea how to play, neither much the controls, but thank God I made it out of the arrows alive. Then came that parts where I had no friggin idea how to jump. Oh yes, the joys.

I'm going out of my point here, I kept dying and gave up. Fast Forward, release of the new "Tomb Raider" movie. Joy oh joy, I bought TR5! For the love of, I still remember the damn tightrope! Who the hell thought that was going t be easy. So of course she fell.

But why did I keep coming back? I'll tell you why. It was almost like a Deathwish, the adrenaline of running, gunning and jumping around the caves. You were immersed, you weren't just controlling Lara (Like every other game, pfft.) No, you were Lara. You felt it.

That was the Magic of Tomb Raider. Did I feel that in the new games? I did, but it was only in Anniversary. I returned to that game, finally smart enough, and I finished it. Was the experience the same? A tiny bit close, but that was it. I don't know anymore. :\

just*raidin*tomb
03-01-10, 20:38
I was 3-4, I don't remember. Naive enough to play Tomb Raider 1, foolish enough to think that I would have made it out alive. There she was, the beautiful Ms. Croft, and here I started running, forgive me for the fact that I had no idea how to play, neither much the controls, but thank God I made it out of the arrows alive. Then came that parts where I had no friggin idea how to jump. Oh yes, the joys.

I'm going out of my point here, I kept dying and gave up. Fast Forward, release of the new "Tomb Raider" movie. Joy oh joy, I bought TR5! For the love of, I still remember the damn tightrope! Who the hell thought that was going t be easy. So of course she fell.

But why did I keep coming back? I'll tell you why. It was almost like a Deathwish, the adrenaline of running, gunning and jumping around the caves. You were immersed, you weren't just controlling Lara (Like every other game, pfft.) No, you were Lara. You felt it.

That was the Magic of Tomb Raider. Did I feel that in the new games? I did, but it was only in Anniversary. I returned to that game, finally smart enough, and I finished it. Was the experience the same? A tiny bit close, but that was it. I don't know anymore. :\

---this is me except for movie. I really got in to TR with the release of AOD.:hug:

TombRaiderFan.
03-01-10, 21:37
The first Tomb Raider I played was TRLA. I remember getting as far a the level in the French Zoo, then I gave up and then I went back and finished it. I was probably about 7 or 8 back then. Then around that time I borrowed TR4 from a friend and got pretty far for my age I would say. :p I've been re-playing TR4 (haven't finished it yet), and I'm still wondering how I figured out some of the puzzles back then.

Lara seemed very impersonal back then to me, so I never really got into it. In 2004 I think it was, I bought AOD, and I loved the storyline. The controls didn't bug me as much because I never used to pay attention to those things when I played games. I got stuck in the night club level because of a bug with the light switches. It was fun and I wanted more when I finished it, but I wouldn't call the experience magical. The memories are somewhat "magical" but really the games are not THAT fantastic anyways. Specially the new ones.....jk jk Anniversary in one of my favorite. :p

dinoslayer
03-01-10, 21:41
The first Tomb Raider I played was TRLA. I remember getting as far a the level in the French Zoo, then I gave up and then I went back and finished it. I was probably about 7 or 8 back then. Then around that time I borrowed TR4 from a friend and got pretty far for my age I would say. :p I've been re-playing TR4 (haven't finished it yet), and I'm still wondering how I figured out some of the puzzles back then.

Lara seemed very impersonal back then to me, so I never really got into it. In 2004 I think it was, I bought AOD, and I loved the storyline. The controls didn't bug me as much because I never used to pay attention to those things when I played games. I got stuck in the night club level because of a bug with the light switches. It was fun and I wanted more when I finished it, but I wouldn't call the experience magical. The memories are somewhat "magical" but really the games are not THAT fantastic anyways. Specially the new ones.....jk jk Anniversary in one of my favorite. :p

my first is tomb raider 1 :ton:
but i guess it wasnt that "magical" since the only ones i can fully remember is last revelation and chronicles
and on a second note does anyone know where i can buy some of the classics im starting to forget them :(

Eddie Haskell
03-01-10, 21:42
my first is tomb raider 1 :ton:
but i guess it wasnt that "magical" since the only ones i can fully remember is last revelation and chronicles
and on a second note does anyone know where i can buy some of the classics im starting to forget them :(

Ebay. I have purchased so many of the classics new and in the box form there. And actually on Amazon Marketplace as well.

dinoslayer
03-01-10, 21:43
Ebay. I have purchased so many of the classics new and in the box form there. And actually on Amazon Marketplace as well.

k thanks :D

i found both 3, 4, and chronicles for 10 dollars :P

paulwork
03-01-10, 22:43
First game I played was TR4. It is, and I think will always be, my most favourite TR game.

It was magical, mystical, and enchanting, sometimes creepy, but never verging too far on the horror side. To draw a comparison about the horror thing, it was like the first time I saw the Wizard of Oz. For sure there are creepy thinks like the witch, and the evil trees coming alive on the way along the yellow brick road, but it never got in the way of the magic and wonder that is the Wiz. Same is true for TR4.

The TR4 rooms and puzzle areas looked amazingly beautiful e.g. the vibrant colours, indoor fountains, planetarium etc...

I remember being on the edge of my seat most of the time, wondering whether a boulder will suddenly roll out of nowhere, whether dogs/mummies will come alive, or whether bladed traps will suddenly drop out of the ceiling and cut Lara. And most importantly, holding my breath as to whether Lara will really make that long jump across the precarious and dangerous looking chasms. And yes, I remember my gaming fingers being red raw using the d-pad controls for every difficult jump - but it was oh so worth it :-)

After playing it (and it takes a satisfyingly long time to complete) I was addicted. I was hungry for more, and I quickly got copies of TR 1-5, and realised what I was missing out on with the older TR titles. I wondered however, why there was no mansion in TR4.

I have replayed TR4 zillions of times since then and I never tire of it.

juicybubble
03-01-10, 23:16
My first was tr1 on the computer
(but it was my brothers, i just played around in the house)
And my first official one was tr3(that one i got for christmas)
I only got to level 2 tho.
Than i got legend when i was 7 and it was AMAZING!
i loved the outfit choices,that japan dress,and the gameplay was sooo easy!!!
yay!!!
Anniversery didint have very much outfits :(
and underworld had a average amount of them.

just*raidin*tomb
03-01-10, 23:51
My first was tr1 on the computer
(but it was my brothers, i just played around in the house)
And my first official one was tr3(that one i got for christmas)
I only got to level 2 tho.
Than i got legend when i was 7 and it was AMAZING!
i loved the outfit choices,that japan dress,and the gameplay was sooo easy!!!
yay!!!

So, You're like 10? wow...

Ward Dragon
03-01-10, 23:54
I first played a TR2 demo on PS1 in a store for a few minutes. I didn't think too much of it since I didn't play that long, but it was enough to get me to look for TR demos online. Then I found the TR3 demos and I loved them so much that I played them over and over again until I finally found the games in the store and bought the first three together :D

TRA actually had more outfits than TRU (and more variation among the outfits too). Or were you counting the TRU DLC outfits also?

So, You're like 10? wow...

Nice catch.

COPPA Policy

4.1 - In accordance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we do not accept registrations from individuals under the age of 13. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I am interested to hear the explanation, juicybubble. You have said you are 13, but if that's the case then you would have been 10 when Legend came out.

just*raidin*tomb
04-01-10, 00:03
Nice catch.

I am interested to hear the explanation, juicybubble. You have said you are 13, but if that's the case then you would have been 10 when Legend came out.

The truth is surfacing my friends.

Sorry...back on topic:

Eddie Haskell
04-01-10, 00:20
The truth is surfacing my friends.

Sorry...back on topic:

Surfacing? It's bloated corpse has been converting maggots to flies since the first day that juicybubble arrived... :)

TombRaiderFan.
04-01-10, 00:51
Juicybubble is not the little girl she pretends to be, but I sure hope she is so we can say bye bye until 2013. :) Don't worry pople, I'm sure that TRIX will be enough to scare some kiddies out of the way. :mis:

anniversarytr11
04-01-10, 02:17

well legend was my first proper tomb raider experience, as it was the first i completed, and i have to admit it did get me back into the franchise. legend did feel special, the first play, i loved the environments, and i was younger and naive about true gaming quality as i wasn't much of a gamer back then. but after that i got tomb raider AoD and actually liked it more than legend, i didn't care for the bugs or the undevveloped gameplay, it was the sheer amazing atmosphere, puzzles, mystery, story. And i got most of the others in time and I have grown to love and appreciate Core's work more than CD's becuase i think Core's is a better experience, CD's are fun yes, but Core's have better experiences. If that makes sense lol.

larafan25
04-01-10, 02:20
^I have somwhat the same story, legend was my first tomb raider game, literally the first I had ever played. Before I had seen the movie and thought it was xena or something o.O

but once I played legend I went to AOD, and that was a bad move IMO, one thing I love about tomb raider is controlling lara, and well AOD's controls were horrible and I couldn't continue due to them. so I went to the next less rare tomb raider game and found TRC. I venetually played bits of all of them, haven't finished TR4/3 but I have better knowledge of what the series is about:)

Pietras
04-01-10, 02:21
TR2 demo. Loved it!

Ward Dragon
04-01-10, 02:24
legend did feel special, the first play, i loved the environments, and i was younger and naive about true gaming quality as i wasn't much of a gamer back then.

That doesn't matter. If you really enjoyed Legend at the time and it was a great experience for you, then appreciate it for what it gave you. You're allowed to change your gaming tastes over time without erasing the good times you had in the past. There are a lot of games I really enjoyed when I was younger but I don't think I'd enjoy them today. I still fondly remember playing them despite that I wouldn't want a new game to be similar :)

larafan25
^thats TRA for me, I played it 5 times a week untill the release of underworld, but now cannot go back:p

Interesting Fact about myself...

I got a demo from pizza hut once around 1999 or whenever TR4 was coming to the PS1, and I was totally interested but it was only a video, if I had persued this further who knows what could have becom of me and tomb raider, instead of waiting till 2006:p

anniversarytr11
^ yeh me too i still need to properly play tomb raider 2, 3, 4 although ive nearly done 3 (its diffcualt xD) but I knda knew all about the series before legend, it just felt like a new beginning with legend, and I didn't really know about who make games and I wandered why Core wasn't on the credits xD then i did my research and as I was getting in to this forum, boom a trailer of AE comes out and I'm well excited ahh well. but I've grown to cherish the older games, it feels almost like history to me, in fact it is history?

larafan25
04-01-10, 02:29
^ yeh me too i still need to properly play tomb raider 2, 3, 4 although ive nearly done 3 (its diffcualt xD) but I knda knew all about the series before legend, it just felt like a new beginning with legend, and I didn't really know about who make games and I wandered why Core wasn't on the credits xD then i did my research and as I was getting in to this forum, boom a trailer of AE comes out and I'm well excited ahh well. but I've grown to cherish the older games, it feels almost like history to me, in fact it is history?

something I think proves...how tomb raider has maintained it's tomb raider elements during the developer change is this...

I played legend and then TR5 and I thought that it was simply a name change for the developers:p I didn't think there was anything else too different.

However when I did find out what happened with AOD and then with TRAE, I went into this angry fase of my tomb raider life where I despised CD, that took a turn though, which happened when I came to this forum.I think I learnt more about the inner workings of the series and what others looked for in the game and why these things were so important for these people.

anniversarytr11
04-01-10, 02:47
something I think proves...how tomb raider has maintained it's tomb raider elements during the developer change is this...

I played legend and then TR5 and I thought that it was simply a name change for the developers:p I didn't think there was anything else too different.

However when I did find out what happened with AOD and then with TRAE, I went into this angry fase of my tomb raider life where I despised CD, that took a turn though, which happened when I came to this forum.I think I learnt more about the inner workings of the series and what others looked for in the game and why these things were so important for these people.

well for me I'm up and down with CD, sometimes I get so fustrated when I watch the AE 2 only trailers and read interviews with the staff of Core, but then I realise core arent coming back and CD have kind of made TR popular again but not popular enough, reviews arent amazing, neither are sales and neither is gameplay, i keep my reservations for each release, though. hoping for a great one with 9 :)

Aranara
04-01-10, 05:44
My first game was AoD, and I was really little, and I can say it wasn't magical, it creeped the hell out of me!! When I played it I was too scared to kill something in a game. But then I thought, 'heck, this is a game' and started playing it for real.
And since then I'm a TR fan (with breaks). After AoD (which I still not finished) I lost contact with Lara Croft because I was too busy. After Anniversary (which is my favorite game), I played Legend, which was too easy for me, even the Time Trials. Then I wait 6 months for Underworld to find out that I can't run it on my computer. I've seen the walkthrough and I've also bought the book (the walkthrough I mean) but I can say it's not among my favorites. Mainly because of the story.
AoD was awesome as a first TR game because of the characters and story. Janice really cracked m up :vlol: I was very little when I played it and I wasn't sure what Janice was :vlol:

I think I wrote too much.

Eddie Haskell
04-01-10, 13:06
The thread starter was not asking for everyone's "first tomb raider experience" (although that is what the title implies), but for those whose first TR game was Legend. I too am interested to hear the many details of this as it relates to the "magic" (if any).

Ward Dragon
04-01-10, 13:30
The thread starter was not asking for everyone's "first tomb raider experience" (although that is what the title implies), but for those whose first TR game was Legend. I too am interested to hear the many details of this as it relates to the "magic" (if any).

Rereading the first post, you are right. Since the thread is only supposed to discuss Legend as a first TR experience, I moved it to the Legend section :)

larafan25
04-01-10, 22:06
IMO, as soon as I started level editing I was unable to feel the magic of cores games, somewhat crystals too. When you know how things are done and are able to spot the technical side of things...well it kinda takes away from the realistic experience.

By Magic I mean the same magic people talk about when they first played any tomb raider, but what was found in legend. I want to know if Legend did attract people to the game or if they had to play another one after that to even think about liking the game. I think if legend was able to attract people to the tomb raider series, or if people sought out legend when looking for something that is filled with advanture and exploration and everything that makes tomb raider, then it is possible people might understand that Legend IS a tomb raider game as it is composed of elements which are core to the tomb raider franchise, just not enough of these elements and not on a large anough scale.:)

Ward Dragon
04-01-10, 22:20
then it is possible people might understand that Legend IS a tomb raider game as it is composed of elements which are core to the tomb raider franchise, just not enough of these elements and not on a large anough scale.:)

I doubt it. That's like saying a pile of Lincoln Logs is the same thing as a log cabin because it's got roughly the same parts, only smaller, in the wrong proportion, and not properly assembled together :whi:

Eddie Haskell
05-01-10, 00:15
As I said before, in order to understand why some might consider the original classic "magical", one would have to be able to place themselves back there in time. One way to get a sense of this, would be to look over a gaming magazine from that time and look at what games were contemporaneous to the TR1. As a gamer who was already a seasoned veteran, I was overwhelmed by the sheer power of this game. It was truly a new and inspired design, one that went above and beyond what the designers themselves ever dreamed possible. It melded many worlds of gaming into one, and brought a disparate and contrasting collection of gamers into its grip.

Legend was a contemporary game using contemporary parts. It was not unique, it was not ground breaking and it was not special. But of course that doesn't stop a gamer from finding it "magical" in some form, it is still possible.

larafan25
05-01-10, 01:30
^but youcan still find tomb raider in legend, even if it is not through actual gameplay but the feeling of playing it, however alot of that feeling comes from the gameplay.

I doubt it. That's like saying a pile of Lincoln Logs is the same thing as a log cabin because it's got roughly the same parts, only smaller, in the wrong proportion, and not properly assembled together :whi:

well yes but there is no doubt that the player is raiding tombs and temples and traversing through beautiful locations, and depending on age may find some scary or mysticle moments in it.:)

I think it is bait, and then the rest of the series is the catch. IMO if someone likes legend for what they are doing, they will most likely see the rest of the series as even better of an experience:)

HappyShannon
05-01-10, 06:16
Legend was my first game :)
It's my favourite and yeah, it was a magical experience :D

gremlinta
05-01-10, 13:09

TR2 was my first TR game, but Legend was the first one I played through. I loved TRL although there were things about the game I hated like the interactive cut-scenes (ie the boulder). I guess the updated graphics is what caught my eye first. I've been a Lara fan ever since.

LightningRider
05-01-10, 14:23
Hah, okay. I give up, now you want me to tell you why Legend was magical?

No, it's a game. Nothing more. :p

cbragg09
05-01-10, 15:08
My first game was AoD, and I was really little, and I can say it wasn't magical, it creeped the hell out of me!! When I played it I was too scared to kill something in a game. But then I thought, 'heck, this is a game' and started playing it for real.
And since then I'm a TR fan (with breaks). After AoD (which I still not finished) I lost contact with Lara Croft because I was too busy. After Anniversary (which is my favorite game), I played Legend, which was too easy for me, even the Time Trials. Then I wait 6 months for Underworld to find out that I can't run it on my computer. I've seen the walkthrough and I've also bought the book (the walkthrough I mean) but I can say it's not among my favorites. Mainly because of the story.
AoD was awesome as a first TR game because of the characters and story. Janice really cracked m up :vlol: I was very little when I played it and I wasn't sure what Janice was :vlol:

I think I wrote too much.

why dont you try playing the playstation ones?
they are at least worth checking out
they were more magical to me then Legend was

then again, imma fan since TR 1

TheTiger
05-01-10, 15:13
I did play it in an very strange way, First TRIII. My mother did buy that game when i was 3,5. My mother said that i didn't may play that game, but i did it when she was walking the dog. After that i was in love with the game :gki:
I did play All tr's only in an strange way, but TRL was a very,very STUPID game!

T-Sex
05-01-10, 15:34
As I said before, in order to understand why some might consider the original classic "magical", one would have to be able to place themselves back there in time. One way to get a sense of this, would be to look over a gaming magazine from that time and look at what games were contemporaneous to the TR1.

Actually, i think the "magic" thing comes from more than the technology. I think most of it comes from the music, actually...

Eddie Haskell
05-01-10, 16:04
Actually, i think the "magic" thing comes from more than the technology. I think most of it comes from the music, actually...

No doubt this was the case for many console gamers. For the PC gamers it would have been the incredible ambient sounds. I still play the games just to experience them particularly the sounds from the Cistern.

T-Sex
05-01-10, 16:07
No doubt this was the case for many console gamers. For the PC gamers it would have been the incredible ambient sounds. I still play the games just to experience them particularly the sounds from the Cistern.

I played it on PC as well, so i missed out on a lot of the music. But as you said, the overall sound is very high quality and well placed.

Ward Dragon
05-01-10, 19:45
well yes but there is no doubt that the player is raiding tombs and temples and traversing through beautiful locations, and depending on age may find some scary or mysticle moments in it.:)

I think that the TR elements in Legend are so weak and watered down that a lot of games from similar series feel more like TR than Legend does (a few examples being Legacy of Kain, Indiana Jones or Prince of Persia).

_Lara Croft
06-01-10, 10:56
I love Legend. My first proper Tomb Raider game so yes. It was magical for me. I loved it. It led me to Anniversary and To Underworld. All is pure magic. Love those games. Magical Games :D

So is the other games more majical??
:tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea: :tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea::tea:

Volvicy
06-01-10, 11:50
Well, I started with TR1 when I was nine, now I'm fourteen. I was very happy when my grandpa gave this game to me, and as my uncle helped me to kill the T-Rex :jmp:
Then there was a big pause. I started to play Tomb Raider again two years ago, when my mother bought me Tomb Raider Legend. I loved this game and I really can't understand that most people hate it, just because they loved AoD. I mean okay, AoD was a great game... But if you search for Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition from Core, you see the worst grafics. Today we got Next Gen and we should be happy about it! Eidos didn't want to make it worse, they tried to make it better, with better grafics... So today Lara is beautiful an looks more realistic than then. You see, she got very big breasts and was thin as hell. Her face wasn't that great either! Now in Anniversary (especially!) She looks like a young woman, not like a sex toy. :pi:

almayah
13-01-10, 15:25
My first game I played was Last revelation, and after a loooong time I played Legend, not exacly magical experience :(