PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Underrated Movies

silver_wolf
06-01-10, 02:30
There's a lot of crappy movies out there, but which ones do you think don't deserve all the hate? What are your favorite underrated movies?

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Ok, so there was no way this was going to be as good as Raiders, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. KotCS has all the elements of a fun Indy movie: adventure, an intriguing story, comedy, romance. Sure some parts are over the top, but every movie in the series had something like that. The CGI isn't nearly as bad as people say, and if you have a problem with the ali- I mean "inter-dimensional beings", then how did you get past the Ark ghosts, voodoo magic and magic immortal cup?

Terminator Salvation
A lot of people were disappointed with this one. The story has plot holes, but so does the whole freaking Terminator series (http://www.cracked.com/funny-254-the-terminator/) if you think about it. All that time travelling doesn't make a lick of sense, so it must have been hard to make a plot that would be interesting and in line with the cannon. Christian Bale was a bit dissapointing as John Connor (played by Batman), but I think Sam Worthington as Marcus was an intriguing enough character to watch the movie (in fact, I think Connor should have died and Marcus should have been the main character). That and it's just a great action flick that does a great job of realizing the early stages of the war.

Jurassic Park: The Lost World
I was surprised when I learned that a lot of people saw this movie as utter tripe. What's not to love? There's more dinosaurs, a much more dangerous environment, a decent enough story, Jeff Goldblum, etc! Yeah it really has nothing to do wit the book, but the first movie missed a lot too. Overall I think it's just a fun movie to watch.

The Star Wars Prequels (Minus the Clone Wars)
Episode II sucked. We can all agree on that. And the galaxy would be a better place without Jar Jar. But I and III really weren't that bad. Sure the acting was pretty bad in places, but it gets really corny in IV-VI too. The CGI was crap at the beginning, but I thought it was pretty well done in III (see- opening battle). Which leads to my next point. The prequels gave us such bad-ass action. The Jedi and Sith were in their prime, and we got lightsaber battles like we had never seen before, along with some really cool villains (Darth Maul, General Grievous). There was just a lot more action than the original trilogy, which at times was a bad thing, but at least made the movies interesting to watch. Finally, I think the story arc is really good, even if it's not told too well. Anakin's descent into darkness is a tragic tale that I was always curious about, and it's really cool to see a Star Wars galaxy before it was crushed by the Empire.

So those are some of mine; what are yours?

Btw, I'm tempted to put Avatar in here, 'cause it's already getting some flak.

Jo269976
06-01-10, 02:48
Btw, I'm tempted to put Avatar in here, 'cause it's already getting some flak.

$1 Billion later, James Cameron couldn't care less.

tranniversary119
06-01-10, 02:57
I actually really enjoyed the new Indy movie, funny because I was tempted to watch it soon :p as for my movies...

Jennifer's Body- I understand why people don't like this movie. When I first saw it, I thought "meh" do I like it? Or do I hate it? But now that I have it on blu-ray and watched it, I like it a lot!

Avatar- The reason I'm putting this is because I noticed a lot of reviewers note how un-original the storyline is. I didn't see anything wrong with the story, but then again it's they're job to criticize things like this.

Gothika- Another movie that I absolutley loved, not sure if it was popular or not among the critics [doubt it]

Premonition- I saw this over the summer at my aunts house while my mom was in the hospital, and thought it was great even if it was a bit confusing at times.

marla_biggs
06-01-10, 04:13
Catwoman (2004)

I enjoyed it..

Legend 4ever
06-01-10, 04:22
I actually really enjoyed the new Indy movie, funny because I was tempted to watch it soon :p as for my movies...

Jennifer's Body- I understand why people don't like this movie. When I first saw it, I thought "meh" do I like it? Or do I hate it? But now that I have it on blu-ray and watched it, I like it a lot!

Avatar- The reason I'm putting this is because I noticed a lot of reviewers note how un-original the storyline is. I didn't see anything wrong with the story, but then again it's they're job to criticize things like this.

Gothika- Another movie that I absolutley loved, not sure if it was popular or not among the critics [doubt it]

Premonition- I saw this over the summer at my aunts house while my mom was in the hospital, and thought it was great even if it was a bit confusing at times.

Catwoman (2004)

I enjoyed it..

Yes and yes. All of them I enjoyed so much. And I love Halle Berry, the critics HATE her and looks like many people do too. Other than Gothika and Catwoman, Perfect Stranger is another one of Halle's movies everyone hated that I LOVED!!! And let's not lie, Bruce Willis is HOT!

And Jennifer's Body, I freaking LOVED that movie, so glad I see people who consider it good for whatever reason and see it as a possible cult movie.

Mad Tony
06-01-10, 06:41
Btw, I'm tempted to put Avatar in here, 'cause it's already getting some flak.What!? :eek: It's already ridiculous overly-popular.

I'd say Godzilla (1998) is pretty underrated. I love that film, but it got mainly negative reviews. Also, I think the Dukes of Hazzard (2005) underrated too. It's not a great movie, but it's not totally crap like everyone makes it out to be.

TheBloodRed
06-01-10, 06:43
Catwoman (2004)

I enjoyed it..

I thought you'd put Glitter in here or something. xD
---

The first Resident Evil film wasn't so bad.
Stargate needs more praise as it is one of the biggest classics of all time

Los Angeles
06-01-10, 06:45
Children Of The Corn

2001 Maniacs :wve:

TheBloodRed
06-01-10, 06:47
2001 Maniacs!! So crazy that a remake could be so wild!!

Robert Englund. <33

TRenTIs
06-01-10, 08:03
I liked "Dead Or Alive". It's the best video game to cinema adaption that I've seen.

Croft, Lara
06-01-10, 08:39
My Sister's Keeper.

It got terrible reviews for choosing to be more realistic than the book! It the 2nd best film I saw in 2009 and I have NEVER cried at a film like I have at that!! The acting was amazing as well and it stopped before anything became cheesy!

Drone
06-01-10, 08:47
Phantasm!

Jedd Fletcher
06-01-10, 08:47
I pretty much agree on Jurassic Park: The Lost World and Terminator Salvation. Those are two movies that some didn't enjoy and some did, and I fall into the latter camp.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider -didn't get the attention it deserves. Yes, it's not Godfather, but it is a fine action adventure and a great adaptation of the video game series.

Virtuosity -not many have even heard of this, but it is Russell Crowe's debut (you get to see him in his prime-naked, ladies!) opposite Denzel Washington. An interesting sci-fi story with then-cutting-edge effects, it's actually quite good.

Frantic -one of the lower-key Harrison Ford films, it's a pacey action thriller by Roman Polanski that doesn't look like money is being needlessly thrown at the screen. The leading lady, Emanuelle Seigner, is beautiful as well.

Witness -another smaller Ford movie, it's a wonderful love story and offers an intriguing glimpse into Amish culture and traditions, putting a rich spin on the usual cop-on-the-run formula.

The Forbidden Kingdom -Sure, it is a bit of a letdown for the much-awaited onscreen teamup of Jet Li and Jackie Chan, but it is a wonderful movie in its own right with plenty of references to the classic Shaw movies and some quality action sequences.

Pretty much every DC animated film -It's a real pity almost all of these go straight to DVD, as it really is contemporary hand-drawn animation at some of its best. I really like Batman and Mr Freeze: SubZero (a much better subsitute for the dire Batman and Robin), Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Wonder Woman and Superman/Batman Public Enemies. I really reccomend checking this films out.

Rivendell
06-01-10, 09:07
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

A touching storyline, decent action, well directed, and the end always chokes me up. It's beautiful.

tonyme
06-01-10, 09:21
Gothika - Love that film it's so chilling and shocking
The Exorcism Of Emily Rose - One of my all-time favorite movies, definitely.

that's all I can think of right now

Carbonek_0051
06-01-10, 09:28

Catwoman (2004)

I enjoyed it..

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

A touching storyline, decent action, well directed, and the end always chokes me up. It's beautiful.

All these films.:tmb:

Also..

9 - A brilliant animated film, with dark atmosphere, great voice actors, and a very dark and creative story.

Cursed - Definitely one of my favorite Wes Craven films, it's full of laughs and thrills.

House Of 1000 Corpses & The Devil's Rejects - People might hate Rob Zombie's films, but I loved them. He made some really twisted characters, and the films had this touch that only Rob Zombie could pull off.

Silent Hill - A great horror film, and an extremely faithful game adaption. Sure the script was a bit iffy here and there, but it didn't stop it from being incredibly enjoyable.

There are others, but that's all I can think of right now.

LightningRider
06-01-10, 09:31
Pretty much every DC animated film -It's a real pity almost all of these go straight to DVD, as it really is contemporary hand-drawn animation at some of its best. I really like Batman and Mr Freeze: SubZero (a much better subsitute for the dire Batman and Robin), Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Wonder Woman and Superman/Batman Public Enemies. I really reccomend checking this films out.

I have to pretty much think these are the only ones I feel are underrated. Love each one of them. :)