PDA

View Full Version : my dog died

michaeldt
06-01-10, 10:45
I had to say goodbye to my dog today, her hip was really bad, I mean REALLY bad, she couldn't even walk on it, we had some X-Rays done today and what she had was incurable, she had cancer in her leg which would then spread to her lungs, she had already gone through lots of treatments for her leg, but the never worked. She was a ridgeback/Doberman/Rottweiller, she has had a life full of joy of nearly 8 years, next month was her birthday, we did some research and found out that a dog of this type would only live for another year or 2, our whole family agreed to put her out of her pain, we took her to the Vet who did the X-Rays and we had an hour to spend with her, we were all crying and very upset, then they gave her the needle after we had said our goodbyes, I am very emotionally sad about this, she was my dog :( what can I do to help get myself through all of this sadness?

LightningRider
06-01-10, 10:55
Wow, Cancer. That's sad. R.I.P. And best wishes to you and your family. :hug:

Lara Fan 4Life
06-01-10, 10:57
what can I do to help get myself through all of this sadness?

Well, grief takes time to cure! At least your dog lived a happy 8 years with you! Best wishes to you and your family! :hug:

R.I.P.

Gabi
06-01-10, 11:06
.....what can I do to help get myself through all of this sadness?
Allow it and let it out. After all it is a sad thing to have a beloved pet put to sleep.
My condolences. :hug:

Crisl
06-01-10, 11:23
Oh God, this is so sad :( :( I feel very sorry for your poor dog and for you of course :hug:
My cat has passed away quite recently too and I'm still not alright, so I know how you feel. You have my sympathy.
Perhaps talking about your dog with someone might help. Let it all out.
No one has ever talked with me about my cat's death and I still have it in me, keep thinking about it, wasn't able to fully let it out...
Time will help too, of course.

Changeling
06-01-10, 11:33
Losing any kind of pet can be horrible, and as an owner of a dog myself, I can understand what kind of bond you could've had with yours. :( At least she lived a good life and was always happy and full of energy. Just let it all out, don't bottle it up: that's the worst thing you can do. :hug:

tlr online
06-01-10, 11:39
Very sorry to hear that.

shadow_fire
06-01-10, 11:46
Aw :hug: as they have said, it takes time :(
my condolences.
are you going to have a service or anything? I did for my cat and made a memorial avatar thingy. That can help :/

Surohicko
06-01-10, 11:49
Very sorry to hear that :(

R.I.P poor dog

Hope you can cheer up and say you did you the right thing :hug:

Anniversary Lara
06-01-10, 12:12
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you will feel better soon. You gave her a good life and that is what counts. And she was relieved in the end. Think about it that way.

interstellardave
06-01-10, 12:17
Keep reminding yourself that you saved her from months, maybe years, of pain that would have only gotten worse for her. That ought to help you cope with it.

ShadyCroft
06-01-10, 12:31
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( My condolences to you :hug:, and its alright, let it out.

Dennis's Mom
06-01-10, 16:02
One of the drawbacks of a long life span is you have to bury a lot of pets. :(

Sorry about your dog. I've lost a lot of pets, and it never gets any easier. Be glad you had a great companion for many years, and that you did the best you could for him.

I promise you it will get better. It will take time and an open heart, but it will get better.

irjudd
06-01-10, 16:04
I feel for you, I'm sorry. I recently had to euthanize my cat that I'd had for 14 years, since I was just 10 years old, due to cancer.

What to do about the pain? Cry. I'm sorry to say this, but unfortunately the 'time heals' thing is not accurate. You'll learn to live with the sadness and pain without being so emotional, but it will never really go away.

Phys
06-01-10, 16:06
Sorry to hear that :(:hug: Its hard to put down one of your pets who have been one of your closest friends for years.

Phlip
06-01-10, 16:09
I'm sorry this happened. Just have a good cry on your own and scream into a pillow.

T-Sex
06-01-10, 16:11
Thats really sad, but the dog is out of its pain now and I hope you feel better soon :hug:

Minty Mouth
06-01-10, 16:11
We all have to go eventually, just remember that she had a great life with you, and that sooner or later this day would have come anyway, but you did a brave thing and made a tough decision, probably for your pet's benefit.

lara c. fan
06-01-10, 16:14
:hug:

michaeldt
06-01-10, 16:25
thanks for all your support guys, my dogs name was Rosie :(

Aw :hug: as they have said, it takes time :(
my condolences.
are you going to have a service or anything? I did for my cat and made a memorial avatar thingy. That can help :/

we left her body at the Vet so they can cremate her, they'll give us the ashes in about a week or so.

knightgames
06-01-10, 16:34
I had to say goodbye to my dog today, her hip was really bad, I mean REALLY bad, she couldn't even walk on it, we had some X-Rays done today and what she had was incurable, she had cancer in her leg which would then spread to her lungs, she had already gone through lots of treatments for her leg, but the never worked. She was a ridgeback/Doberman/Rottweiller, she has had a life full of joy of nearly 8 years, next month was her birthday, we did some research and found out that a dog of this type would only live for another year or 2, our whole family agreed to put her out of her pain, we took her to the Vet who did the X-Rays and we had an hour to spend with her, we were all crying and very upset, then they gave her the needle after we had said our goodbyes, I am very emotionally sad about this, she was my dog :( what can I do to help get myself through all of this sadness?

Oh man, michaeldt. I feel for you. My dog died of bone cancer in her hip too. She never complained or whined until the end. We had no clue she had it until she fell because her hip crumbled. My sister slept on the floor with her for the last few days before we had to make the decision. (I'm literally in tears right now..... and Sam passed 28 years ago.)

I still remember the sound of her last breath. This doesn't leave you, but the great memories she provided flourish and bloom into something that takes away the pain. So I remember her jumping on my bed and licking my nose. When I'd not get up outta bed she'd weasel her way under the covers and kick me. I remember the tiny thing she was the very first day we had her. I remember stripping nrewspaper to make her a bed in a large cardboard box. I remember how she was very meticulous about where and when she'd go to the bathroom, but when she snuck out of the house she'd find the nastyest thing to roll in and smell. (One neighbour went fishing and brought this ugly ugly (did I mention ugly) fish that was unedible. Sam found it. FIVE TIMES.
She got hit by lighting once too. I remember breaking up with a girlfriend and being really depressed about it. Who was there? SAM!!!!! She was so smart too. She was a dog that liked her freedom and would sneak out. IDK how, but she did. Trying to get her back was a test of wits everytime. Shake the bag of dog food. She'd come home only to find out it was a trap. Nnext time she learned and would be fooled we had to OPEN the bag and give her a hand ful. She LOVED car rides. That was our next trick. To get her back in the house we'd open the car door to pretend we were going for a ride. She smartened up so that the next ride we had to start the engine before she'd run to go for a ride. The next was backing out the drive way....

Oh, and she LOVED M&Ms.

Dogs ARE family. Grieving is natural. In time the pain will abate. Allow yourself to grieve.

Weemanply109
08-01-10, 23:56
Aww. So sad. :( I'm sure he is in Doggy Heaven which has loads of Doggy food :p

Its so sad to hear about stuff like this, I always wonder what it would be like to die.. If you see anything afterwards or that kinda stuff... :o

After reading this it makes me kinda worry about my dogs, which i have 7 DOGS! :hea: It'll be very hard to see one of them go and then in future most of them will pass on during my lifetime..... I just can't imagine it. :(

tombraiderluka
08-01-10, 23:57
My condolences, I may not know how it is to lose a pet, but my friend does :(

Weemanply109
08-01-10, 23:57
My condolences, I may not know how it is to lose a pet, but my friend does :(

Just wait till i make a about 7 threads about my dogs dying off 1 by 1 :(

EDIT: Sorry, reading this thread is kinda getting me worried and stuff :p

:}hello friend
09-01-10, 01:06
I'm sorry about your dog :(, when a pet of my own dies I try to let it out the sadness, If you feel like crying, just cry, grasping things tightly helps, and we are always here for you as well. Get better soon :o