PDA

View Full Version : The Oldest Item you Possess

tomkat
06-01-10, 11:59
This may seem like a pretty random question, but what is the oldest thing you have in your home, or that your family owns?

Ive always appreciated antiques and the like - whether its furniture, a toy or books. Its always interesting to see how even something apparently mundane like a teaspoon can become rather valuable after a good few years.

My oldest thing is definitely a Dutch Hymns book that dates back to 1773. Considering everything its in a great condition too - the pages are yellowed and the cover is quite scuffed, but in general its all good.

Second is a die-molded and engraved sugar teaspoon from the 1920's. We still use it daily,

And third are 2 bibles from the 1930s/1940s.

viper456
06-01-10, 12:01
My Mum :vlol:

jackali
06-01-10, 12:07
I've got leather-bound translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey from 1809.

I've probably got older things, but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Another Lara
06-01-10, 12:08
This may seem like a pretty random question, but what is the oldest thing you have in your home, or that your family owns?

Ive always appreciated antiques and the like - whether its furniture, a toy or books. Its always interesting to see how even something apparently mundane like a teaspoon can become rather valuable after a good few years.

My oldest thing is definitely a Dutch Hymns book that dates back to 1773. Considering everything its in a great condition too - the pages are yellowed and the cover is quite scuffed, but in general its all good.

Second is a die-molded and engraved sugar teaspoon from the 1920's. We still use it daily,

And third are 2 bibles from the 1930s/1940s.

Wow I'd love to own something as old as that, I love history and so to own a piece of it I would absolutely love!

The oldest thing I own would probably be the photo album of my grandad during the second world war and the photos of my nan and grandads wedding.

That and I think an old Oxford Dictionary dating to the beginning of last century.

tomblover
06-01-10, 12:24
Probably a dust bunny somewhere in here...

'sides that, meh. I do have a Bible that's all white and shiny with gold-ish details, but I'm not really sure it's older than the dust bunnies. :p

shadow_fire
06-01-10, 12:29
we have an old bible that was my great great great great grandfathers or something like that. Its leather bound and falling to pieces so on one is allowed to touch it.

TRLegendLuver
06-01-10, 12:45
my grandma had a large decorative japanese pot from the the late 1500s, which she paid a HUGE some of money for, and that she has passed away, we inherited. although we might sell it. might.....

Punaxe
06-01-10, 12:58
my grandma had a large decorative japanese pot from the the late 1500s, which she paid a HUGE some of money for, and that she has passed away, we inherited. although we might sell it. might.....

I would say, don't! Unless of course, it's really ugly or you're desparate.

My grandmother owns a lot of old, valuable paintings, pieces of furniture, watches, silverware, books et cetera. She used to go to a lot of auctions and was the auctioneer's favourite, so was in a slightly unfair position to grab the good stuff... :p Sometimes, museums even called her after the auction if they could buy it from her for a higher price. It's a delight to visit her place of residence, it's like visiting a museum.
It's a shame though, many painting that she had to let go because they were just a tiny bit too expensive at the time, are now worth many hundreds of thousands of euros.

My direct family has got a number of antique Asian artefacts (vases, sculptures, number of opium bottles). The oldest thing they have I believe to be a pre-Mesopotamian (from that area at least) necklace either of 4500 years old, or even from 4500 BC (I'll ask).

I don't think I own any antiques myself. I absolutely love them though and will probably fill my house with 'em if I ever get the means :p. Right now I have some things that look like antiques (metal decorative shield for on the wall, Nepali khukuri, some handmade Egyptian artefacts) but I think they're all pretty recent. I do have one large, wooden toy car that I got from an auction a long time ago that I actually never checked for a production date... When I do an the thread's still open, I'll get back to you. :p

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention, I have this Asian ritual axe from solid, dark jade. I don't know its age but I'm pretty sure it's antique.

irjudd
06-01-10, 13:22
My wallet is 15 years old. :cln:

Eddie Haskell
06-01-10, 13:27
I have some ancient coins dating back to before Christ's time.

Jack Croft
06-01-10, 14:13
my mum :vlol:

lol.

MiCkiZ88
06-01-10, 14:15
Well I moved from Finland to the Netherlands, so currently the oldest item I posses is a golden bracelet I got from my dad for my 17th birthday. Its value is priceless to me.

sandygrimm
06-01-10, 14:16
my tv... mus b 23.. an still in color and my ballerina tutu since I was4

Autolycus
06-01-10, 14:44
I have some kind of medal dating back to the late 1800, can't see it being worth much.

Mokono
06-01-10, 16:00
http://i46.************/swxtvo.jpg

A Latin Bible sheet that dates back to the Viceroyalty.

lara c. fan
06-01-10, 16:03
A "picture of life" thing given to me by my now deceased grandma :)

TRhalloween
06-01-10, 16:04
My Mum :vlol:

:vlol: You cheered me up, thanks.

Minty Mouth
06-01-10, 16:07
I don't think I have anything that is very old.... :(

patriots88888
06-01-10, 16:10
Not sure if it's the oldest item or not, but I do own an original copy of the Beatles first album Please Please Me. Vinyl of course. ;)

miss.haggard
06-01-10, 16:20
My Eeyore stuffed animal! :hug:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-01-10, 16:21
my parents house is at least about 150 years old, when they renovated they replaced all of the doors - the original doors actually used the old "skeleton keys" in them. I have one of those on my keychain, and I always will :D. I'm sure it's as old as the house.

Mokono
06-01-10, 16:23
my parents house is at least about 150 years old, when they renovated they replaced all of the doors - the original doors actually used the old "skeleton keys" in them. I have one of those on my keychain, and I always will :D. I'm sure it's as old as the house.

Like the key Lara found in Coastal Village :eek:?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-01-10, 16:30
Like the key Lara found in Coastal Village :eek:?

It probably looks more like one of the ones from the Cistern :D

Necromanser
06-01-10, 16:33
As far as I can remember it's an wooden lacquered cane decorated with ivory and gold(Now that's what I call a pimp cane :p), it dates back to the 1920's.However there are probably some 17-18 century metal engraved plates in the cellar somewhere.And then there's the photograph of my grandad taken somewhere in the begining of 1900.

Mad Tony
06-01-10, 16:40
The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is some coins. A few of those are seriously old.

Oh, and my house but that's not really mine. It must be at least 100 years old though.

jackles
06-01-10, 16:46
Nothing really old...just some photographs of my grandparents circa 1910.

I have a copy of a letter written about my ancestors which is dated 1731. The mother was complaining about my ancestor checking on the will!

Eddie Haskell
06-01-10, 16:48
Wow, I forgot about a couple of things I have. A couple of Folsom Points and some Trilobite fossils.

robm_2007
06-01-10, 16:48
i have an American penny from 1880. it's valued at 2.00! :jmp::D but it might be less, depending on the condition.

so its: 130 years old

jackles
06-01-10, 16:49
*slaps forehead*

Oh I have fossils too. Several infact !

robm_2007
06-01-10, 16:51
i also have some petrified wood, but its the kind that doesnt have an valuable minerals in it.