PDA

View Full Version : Youtube goes through our videos yet again for music copyright

The Great Chi
06-01-10, 14:33
There has been yet another blitz by Youtube again over Christmas and New Year, going though everyones old videos and checking for the latest list of 3rd party copyright song infringement.

When my videos go on, I always check to see if there is an infringement then change the song. I also make sure that there is sound effects dubbed over them, like lara croft firing guns etc. But this does not seem to be taken into account, even though it is not worth copying by anyone.

Also, they do not seem to consider the publicity of getting songs aired, that way people who have never head it, will possibly go out an buy the origional.

But I noticed this week seven of my previously 'passed as OK' videos, were now under copyright infringement, so I had to delete them, including my favorit 'Night out at the Opera 1' :(

I have just got a feeling by the time youtube is finished with copyright law, there will be no way any video with decent music on it will be allowed on their website.

It will be down to midi music and some bongo drums only, he he.

What a pathetic world of copyright.

Dennis's Mom
06-01-10, 16:57
Can you not use classical composers like Beethoven, e.g.? Or are "performances" copyrighted as well?

Laralissa
06-01-10, 17:12
Im currently in the process of 'disputing' them since you can claim 'fair use' - I doubt that will work though. Some of my best videos have been muted/removed because of the audio I used which fails. I used youtubes audio swap option on my most popular video (Final Fantasy - Far Away) which has caused endless hassle. At least the video is still up, but now I have people commenting the video each day saying 'what are you talking about, that song isnt far away' even though Ive quite clearly stated its been changed due to copyright. The audio swap selection is dire, and thats putting it lightly. I hate the song I had to swap over, and that was one of the better ones.

Quite simply, Ive lost my inspiration to upload my videos anymore since I know that they'll just get taken down. Of course midi music would be an option, but when youre trying to make a touching and dramatic love story video, it doesnt really capture the same effect.

Minty Mouth
06-01-10, 17:14
Im currently in the process of 'disputing' them since you can claim 'fair use' - I doubt that will work though. Some of my best videos have been muted/removed because of the audio I used which fails. I used youtubes audio swap option on my most popular video (Final Fantasy - Far Away) which has caused endless hassle. At least the video is still up, but now I have people commenting the video each day saying 'what are you talking about, that song isnt far away' even though Ive quite clearly stated its been changed due to copyright. The audio swap selection is dire, and thats putting it lightly. I hate the song I had to swap over, and that was one of the better ones.

Quite simply, Ive lost my inspiration to upload my videos anymore since I know that they'll just get taken down. Of course midi music would be an option, but when youre trying to make a touching and dramatic love story video, it doesnt really capture the same effect.

Mayday Parade - When I Get Home You're So Dead is one of the ausioswap songs. There is no longer any reason for anyone to complain about having to use audioswap on YouTube.

Los Angeles
06-01-10, 17:14
Stupid youtube, I can't even watch some of the videos here in Germany cause of Copyright... blah blah blah...

Laralissa
06-01-10, 17:17
Mayday Parade - When I Get Home You're So Dead is one of the ausioswap songs. There is no longer any reason for anyone to complain about having to use audioswap on YouTube.

Then I suppose its all a matter of taste.

Minty Mouth
06-01-10, 17:18
Then I suppose its all a matter of taste.

No, It isn't.

AMAZING SONG!!!11!!

irjudd
06-01-10, 17:19
That ought to teach you punks!

GameGlitcher77
06-01-10, 17:30
Exactly why I don't put music in my videos :mis: :ohn:

Necromanser
06-01-10, 17:40
A shame really, I discovered a handful of bands I would never heard of and in turn bought their albums.

@Chi-Its harsh that they do it so thougtlessly but they have to sift through huge ammounts of videos.If you argue your case they'll allow it.

Encore
06-01-10, 17:49
Ridiculous retrograde thinking. That's all I gotta say about this.

irjudd
06-01-10, 17:50
Only a pirate would say that.

T-Sex
06-01-10, 17:51
I hate youtube. It was cool before google bought it and started milking it for money.

igonge
06-01-10, 17:51
A couple of my vids were left alone when I quoted that "fair use" thingy in my dispute a few months back.

Encore
06-01-10, 17:53
Only a pirate would say that.

Do you honestly believe your own words? That someone who makes a home movie and uses a known song for background music is a "pirate"?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-01-10, 18:32
Do you honestly believe your own words? That someone who makes a home movie and uses a known song for background music is a "pirate"?

I agree with Encore - It's not like people are selling the videos. Then I could see copyright being an issue.

irjudd
06-01-10, 18:40
Stop taking me seriously! We covered that once before!

Los Angeles
06-01-10, 18:53
I agree with all of you. :wve:

ShadyCroft
06-01-10, 18:56
don't really care that much as I don't use my youtube account that often.

snork
06-01-10, 19:16
Can you not use classical composers like Beethoven, e.g.? Or are "performances" copyrighted as well?
Yes, they are. :mad:

Personally, I'd be more likely to respect such performance / recording copyright than some britney crap that already made them several dozen million dollars. At least they have to pay a full orchestra and everything.

Then again, I can't imagine any situation where I would want to infringe Britney music copyrights. ^^

LaraLuvrrr
06-01-10, 19:58
They're probably doing that because people can download the videos as mp3's and then get the music for free.

dizzydoil
06-01-10, 20:09
Just don't have music playing for the first 30 seconds of your video :).

... :p lol.

Encore
06-01-10, 20:11
Yes, they are. :mad:

Personally, I'd be more likely to respect such performance / recording copyright than some britney crap that already made them several dozen million dollars. At least they have to pay a full orchestra and everything.

Then again, I can't imagine any situation where I would want to infringe Britney music copyrights. ^^

But orchestras certainly don't live off recording money do they? I mean classical music is all about performing live for audiences in concert halls and similar venues.

Tony9595
06-01-10, 20:11
But I noticed this week seven of my previously 'passed as OK' videos, were now under copyright infringement, so I had to delete them, including my favorit 'Night out at the Opera 1' :(

Noo,that's my favorite one as well :(

NemesisxAngelus
06-01-10, 20:15
I know if they detect just one here my account is gone and that'd be total bumf:cen:

The Great Chi
06-01-10, 22:47
Just don't have music playing for the first 30 seconds of your video :).... :p lol.Even that does not work, as my 'Night out at the opera 1' did not start any music until 37 second in.

Mind you I think I will now delete the disputed music from the video and change it to a chinese opera, and put it back on site.

Youtube may have trouble finding the copyright for that one :p

MiCkiZ88
06-01-10, 22:58
Meh, I pretty much gave up on uploading anything there because of their trigger happy fingers. 7 out of my 30 videos got removed, and I am almost certain there will be more gone within few months. Sad that you cannot post your own form of art there anymore. Especially since you gain no profit from it. But.. there barely are any other sites you can upload a video to. I only know of one and that keeps ****ing up the audio.

feels great when you work a month on something that you personally think is your best work yet, and youtube blocks it world wide.

Electro panic is gone thanks to Square Enix. I dont have it saved anywhere.

snork
06-01-10, 23:25
But orchestras certainly don't live off recording money do they? I mean classical music is all about performing live for audiences in concert halls and similar venues.
I don't know. I guess they live on governmental fundings and donations mostly ?
But consider the labels, too.

I wish I remembered where I read this good article on classic music labels / publishers.

What does it cost, what brings money and what doesn't, what this means to what gets recorded and so on. It was really interesting.

Laralissa
06-01-10, 23:29

Damn, that was one of my favourites of yours aswell. Do you still have your Deeply Disturbed video? If they ever take that one down Ill personally fly to youtubes headquarters and eat everyone.

Minty Mouth
07-01-10, 00:17

If you can find the URL, you should still be able to use KeepVid or something to download it.

Ikas90
07-01-10, 00:52
I used youtubes audio swap option on my most popular video (Final Fantasy - Far Away) which has caused endless hassle. At least the video is still up, but now I have people commenting the video each day saying 'what are you talking about, that song isnt far away' even though Ive quite clearly stated its been changed due to copyright. The audio swap selection is dire, and thats putting it lightly. I hate the song I had to swap over, and that was one of the better ones.

I loved this video of yours. :hug: I actually have it saved to my PC, with the original music. :D

I've uploaded some of my videos on motionbox, rather than YouTube, incase of copyright infringement.

I wish they'd just go and get a life. Copyright laws are incredibly annoying.

Carbonek_0051
07-01-10, 00:58
Stop taking me seriously! We covered that once before!

It's the sunglasses Judd, they makes you look very very srs.

Laralissa
07-01-10, 01:00
I loved this video of yours. :hug: I actually have it saved to my PC, with the original music. :D

Honestly?! With Nickelback, Far Away? I lost the original ages ago when my computer crashed :pi:

Glad you liked it, anyway :p

Ikas90
07-01-10, 01:09
Honestly?! With Nickelback, Far Away? I lost the original ages ago when my computer crashed :pi:

Glad you liked it, anyway :p

Yup. :D I can send it to you, if you like. :D

TRhalloween
07-01-10, 01:12

Yes, if you make a home movie and use a known song for the background music, YOU ARE A PIRATE!~

Reckless Lara
07-01-10, 01:13
I had the same problem, in fact I still do. Once I uploaded some fan videos but youtube took them away from me:( I got so ****ed that I deleted my old account. It's also a pitty to watch some many videos that used to have unbelievably high views and rates to be gone...

Laralissa
07-01-10, 01:16
Yup. :D I can send it to you, if you like. :D

That would be brilliant, if you could? No worries if not though :)

patriots88888
07-01-10, 01:19
I can guarantee none of this would happen if Youtube wasn't so 'popular'. The more they continue like this, the less user-base they'll end up having. There's always alternatives such as Dailymotion, Veoh, and Revver just to name a few. Youtube may have been the original, but they are far from a monopoly on video sharing.

MiCkiZ88
07-01-10, 01:29
Damn, that was one of my favourites of yours aswell. Do you still have your Deeply Disturbed video? If they ever take that one down Ill personally fly to youtubes headquarters and eat everyone.
I dont know about the original one, but I have the infected remix version still on youtube. Thank god. That one took me a month or two to finish. Day or two in reality, but.. I love pushing things to the next day.

As for the url, well.. I kinda deleted the whole damn thing since Square Enix blocked it.

Jedd Fletcher
07-01-10, 03:34
This is all very irritating, as I usually go to YouTube to listen to music and watch music videos - I mean, where else?

AmericanAssassin
07-01-10, 03:37
But... But... But YouTube is where I download all of my music from. It's so simple and can't really be traced. :p

The Great Chi
07-01-10, 17:11
But... But... But YouTube is where I download all of my music from. It's so simple and can't really be traced. :pThus is what happens when it is PURE music, and can be downloaded (recorded), and I can see Youtube's point in removing these videos, but....

When I make videos I specifically mix all the tomb raider sounds in with the music, so it is not worthwhile downloading it just for the music, as it is no longer PURE music.

Unfortunately, Youtube is not interested, and just removes that type of video as well as PURE music, and its not worth the fuss to argue the case.

By the way, here is my new revised music version of my Opera lara video back on Youtube, I think they would have difficulty finding a copyright for this one :D .....

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=163014