PDA

View Full Version : Forum feedback: subscription reseting really s****ks!

Vince C.
06-01-10, 14:19
Hi admins.

I know I've been explained some of the Tomb Raider forums inner working and yet I still can't cope with resetting thread subscriptions. I've just posted a reply to a thread today and *BAM* subscriptions reset! All of them! (No, not that one (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=4274442#post4274442).)

PHPbb forums have wonderful tools to help remind where you posted. Yet, to remind where I posted, I have to keep my email notifications for ever or even bookmark my posts here! TR forum is the only one forum system I know of that is configured that way -- and I've subscribed to, say, 20-30 forums... Things like "egosearch" and "post search" have been either disabled or limited. And being given another 60 seconds to seek on... Don't you ever make mistakes while searching? Don't you ever have to refine your search criteria?

And yes, I do know Google; but Google is no real-time Tomb Raider forum search engine right? So if a post has not been indexed by Google, you won't find it, still right? Again I know it's been explained subscriptions are reset for performance matters... :confused:

Look, I'm no stranger to database systems but performance issues are generally due to lack of or wrong indexes. Adding indexes to a table can speed up performance by a factor 100-10,000! Is that the problem? or is it about hardware? Is there really a problem keeping subscriptions? Even, say, the latest 10-20-30? If you need a developer or database administrator, well, that's what I am.

MySQL has two engines, one is performance-driven (MyISAM), one is constraint-driven (InnoDB). Replication between two kinds of engines can be used to provide engine-specific features. If that's what you need, I can provide you with answers.

In single words, this forum is the least convenient I've ever had to use and is the only one like this.

Example?

Gentoo forums, right now: 4,993,295 total messages. 1764.42 messages/day. 653,935 topics. 123,293 subscribed users. 231.07 topics/day. Database size: 19.67GB. Features: egosearch, unrestricted search, no time limit. Egosearch prompts the last 40 threads. Using a keyword black list for searching. System: PHPbb.

Besides PHPbb is free. vBulletin is not. But Ok, I won't suggest you replaced your forum software -- decency has limits I'm aware of... :vlol:

Put apart, thread subscription is also the only reason I missed Eric Lindstrom presence. I'm still enraged about that because I wasn't aware of that... “feature” at that time. Losing discussions is at least a good reason for a rant like this. IMHO.

Greenkey2
06-01-10, 14:22
Perhaps posting this directly to a member of the administration (e.g. tlr online or Mona Sax) would achieve faster and more positive results?

snork
06-01-10, 14:30
Don't you ever make mistakes while searching? Don't you ever have to refine your search criteria?
:hea: I always forget to tick "show results as posts" when I want to find a certain post / member. :vlol:
I don't think I'll ever learn it.

----------------
What's egosearch ? Like if you go into profile -> statistics -> show all posts by ... (me/you/whoever) ?

Quasimodo
06-01-10, 14:31
There's actually a forum feedback form if you click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

tlr online
06-01-10, 14:34
Unfortunately folks subscribe to threads such as Open Chat, where there can be many thousands of new posts per day, each one generating an email to each subscribed member. This generates too much email traffic. I've explained before that I routinely purge the subscription queue for this reason.

Vince C.
06-01-10, 14:40
Perhaps posting this directly to a member of the administration (e.g. tlr online or Mona Sax) would achieve faster and more positive results?

Thanks. I don't mind indeed. I suppose you mean PM them?

Unfortunately folks subscribe to threads such as Open Chat, where there can be many thousands of new posts per day, each one generating an email to each subscribed member. This generates too much email traffic. I've explained before that I routinely purge the subscription queue for this reason.

All right. But then the problem is not about subscribers. It's about the choices for notification modes... EDIT: or suppress notifications for daily chat, which is a far less drastic measure... EDIT: or use daily notification only... or even daily notifications for only a subset of forums. There are plenty of lighter solutions.

What's egosearch ? Like if you go into profile -> statistics -> show all posts by ... (me/you/whoever) ?

It's a link "My posts" in your control panel or in the forum's banner, typically.

There's actually a forum feedback form if you click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.

Aha? :confused: That was not so obvious otherwise I would have figured that out by myself... (I was indeed looking for a "Forum feedback" thread and actually found none and I hate to PM forum admins directly; my education maybe...) :vlol: Thanks a lot for the hint.

Vince C.
08-01-10, 07:36
tlr online, don't you allow discussing this openly? I'd like to.

Quasimodo
08-01-10, 09:20
I think the forum is on the cusp of converting or upgrading its software (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=160884). It's likely the issues you brought up in your original post will be ironed out once that change takes place.

Johnnay
08-01-10, 10:14
is Mona Sax A administrator

isnt she the Super Moderator????????????

EscondeR
08-01-10, 13:10
Vince.C, just subscribe w/o the e-mail notification :mis:

Vince C.
08-01-10, 13:41
Vince.C, just subscribe w/o the e-mail notification :mis:

Sure. Imagine if I had to do that with all the forum servers I've subscribed to -- I could spend the whole day looking for new posts... :vlol: Granted, at least I'd keep my subscriptions. (Which I've just learnt from your post, BTW.) However taking a tour every day to the forum to see if there's any post is just... :tea: wierd.

irjudd
08-01-10, 14:08
My subscriptions have never reset, and I use that feature constantly. Maybe you need to empty your cookies or restart your mouse.

viper456
08-01-10, 14:17
Never bothered with subscriptions myself anyway. I just tend to click the little down arrow thingy on the left of the threads that interest me and it takes me to the first unread post.