PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Depp Wins Actor of the Decade

egypt_gypsie
07-01-10, 03:19
On the People's Choice Awards.

That makes me really happy.

Other nominees were Rob P. and Zac Efron, among a few others.

Jo269976
07-01-10, 03:19
Other nominees were Rob P. and Zac Efron,

You have got to be joking.

AmericanAssassin
07-01-10, 03:21

:vlol: Win...

egypt_gypsie
07-01-10, 03:26
I can't wait to see all the fans of those two whining about how everyone who voted for JD are idiots, and how 'RPatz' should've won.....

Shark_Blade
07-01-10, 03:27
Robert Pattison is like what, 2 movies (HP and Twilight) and Zac Efron (HSM, Hairspray, 17 Again but not really groundbreaking).

Seriously no mention of the likes like Hugh Jackman or Tom Hanks? lmao

Anyway Johnny Depp is great. Love his Jack Sparrow and Sweeney Todd performances.

egypt_gypsie
07-01-10, 03:27
Brad Pitt and Hugh Jackman were also nominated I believe...

LaraLuvrrr
07-01-10, 03:46
Zac Efron?

(facepalm)

knightgames
07-01-10, 03:48

How would you like to be Johnny Depp while sitting in the audience of the PCA and realize your competition for "actor of the decade" is Zack Efron and Rob P. I think I'd slash my wrists.

Heck! His performance in Finding Neverland alone was better than anything those two have and will ever do.

egypt_gypsie
07-01-10, 04:03
Rofl your post made me giggle :D

It's really funny considering the RPatz fans were spamming the voting thing....

LaraLuvrrr
07-01-10, 04:04
Heck! His performance in Finding Neverland alone was better than anything those two have and will ever do.

His performance in any film is better than those two combined lol

ShadyCroft
07-01-10, 04:55
Johnny is pure win, no question in that. :D Go Johnny D !! :tmb:

but Efron and P ?! are you ****ting me ?! :eek:

Carbonek_0051
07-01-10, 05:00
Well deserved <3

Aranara
07-01-10, 05:38
Robert Pattinson and Zac Efron actors of the decade?? :eek:
First of all, RP played in only 3 movies that were famous (Twilight movies and HP4), and Zac Efron a few (HSM Series - ewwwww- Hairspray and 17 again - these are the only ones I know).
Johnny Depp: Chocolat, Sweney Todd, Pirates of the Carribean, Public Enemies, Corpse Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory etc.

So I'm glad he won and not those wannabes.
Just my opinion :vlol:

just*raidin*tomb
07-01-10, 06:47
Pretty awesome...I was on the phone with my friend watching the awards and she FREAKED when Johnny won! She's his ultra BIGGEST fan! :p

I SO CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM IN ALICE AND WONDERLAND!!! March is coming soon!!!!:jmp:
http://www.collider.com/wp-content/image-base/Movies/A/Alice_in_Wonderland/alice_in_wonderland_johnny_depp_mad_hatter_image_0 1.jpg

Jedd Fletcher
07-01-10, 07:49
Congratulations Johnny Depp! He deserves it. About the noms for Robert Pattinson and Zac Efron...not so much. I mean, they pretty much just emerged in the last two-three years, while Johnny Depp has been in the industry from before the start of the decade. And that's just one reason.

tonyme
07-01-10, 07:52
Congrats Johnny :tmb:

All I can say is LOL!

jaywalker
07-01-10, 07:52
Sorry but wheres Russell Crowe in that list.. sorry but he wins hands down for actor of the decade, this list of nominees just shows how you can never trust `public` votes to be real anymore, they are based on current fads only.. if Mr Depp didnt have Alice coming out i bet he wouldnt have been nominated.. not taking away from his win he has been great, but not the best :)

Edit - http://www.peopleschoice.com/pca/awards/nominees/index.jsp dont see any actor of the decade category here..

Another Lara
07-01-10, 08:17
Sorry but wheres Russell Crowe in that list.. sorry but he wins hands down for actor of the decade, this list of nominees just shows how you can never trust `public` votes to be real anymore, they are based on current fads only.. if Mr Depp didnt have Alice coming out i bet he wouldnt have been nominated.. not taking away from his win he has been great, but not the best :)

I would have preferred Russ to have won, but the problem is like you said, it's always going to be flavour of the month!

Don't get me wrong I love Johnny Depp, but he's been around for ages, Russell Crowe only really became a household name in the last ten years and has done a lot since...

I suppose he hasn't been in real mainstream or family movies like Johnny Depp and so all the teenies that clearly voted on this wouldn't even know who Russell Crowe was!:pi:

AmericanAssassin
07-01-10, 08:19
Edit - http://www.peopleschoice.com/pca/awards/nominees/index.jsp dont see any actor of the decade category here..

It wasn't voted on. It was an announcement during the show. Apparently, he had been nominated more than any other star this decade. Or maybe it was that he won the most. Either way, it's pretty impressive. :D

jaywalker
07-01-10, 08:20
Of course to the majority of voters Russell is just some `old guy` to them now.. altho i bet in a movie face off would beat em all hands down..

It wasn't voted on. It was an announcement during the show. Apparently, he had been nominated more than any other star this decade. Or maybe it was that he won the most. Either way, it's pretty impressive. :D

Well if its based on number of nominations and wins from the previous 10 years thas fair enough, but still means based on kids voting for him in Pirates and charlie etc, ie not for his acting ability but more his likability factor etc

Johnnay
07-01-10, 08:23
Other nominees were Rob P. and Zac Efron,.

exactly

i mean WTF they put these 2 sore losers

thankfully taylor craphole i dont know his last surname who plays edward in twilight isnt on the list

tonyme
07-01-10, 08:25
thankfully taylor craphole i dont know his last surname who plays edward in twilight isnt on the list
He is, it's Rob P.

Johnnay
07-01-10, 08:29
what

robert patterson and taylor lautner are two different arsehole ppl

theyre not the same person

tonyme
07-01-10, 08:31
The one who plays Edward in Twilight is Robert P.

viper456
07-01-10, 08:32
what

robert patterson and taylor lautner are two different arsehole ppl

theyre not the same person

Yes but Robert Patterson plays Edward. Taylor Lautner plays Jacob.

Johnnay
07-01-10, 08:34
ok then

i quit

LightningRider
07-01-10, 09:52
I love Depp, and the "People" Are... :rolleyes:

tombraiderluka
07-01-10, 09:55
Oh yay :jmp: Congrats! :D

igonge
07-01-10, 10:43

:cen: off!

tombraiderluka
07-01-10, 10:45
:cen: off!
Is that for gypsie or for those actors? :pi:

Punaxe
07-01-10, 10:45
I don't know who else was on the list and am not/have not been that involved with cinema the past decade, but this win seems deserved by Johnny Depp. I can understand why he may not have gotten an Oscar for any single movie, but taken overall, I think he has shown to be a talented actor capable of believably portraying very different characters. About time he was awarded for that, I'd say. :tmb:

igonge
07-01-10, 10:56
Is that for gypsie or for those actors? :pi:

For the actors and the people who nominated them.
Sorry if I offended :)

touchthesky
07-01-10, 11:13
I admit, I do like Mr Efron but he doesn't deserve to win any sort of actor of the decade award.

Depp's decent, I just wish he would step away from the Burton movies! Depp as Captain Jack is love, though.

Legend of Lara
07-01-10, 11:52

Wait...

what

What

WHAT.

Carbonek_0051
07-01-10, 12:00
Wait...

what

What

WHAT.

I believe she said the other nominees were Rob Patz & Zac Efron. I know, hard to believe right? It's ok, the world has been set right with Johnny winning.:hug:

Jo269976
07-01-10, 12:05
LOL, to think Johnny's first movie role was being liquidized in a bed by a burned serial killer in an independent slasher movie ;)

Laralissa
07-01-10, 12:11
LOL, to think Johnny's first movie role was being liquidized in a bed by a burned serial killer in an independent slasher movie ;)

I still can't believe Nightmare on Elm Street was only made in 1984. Seems much older than that.

And words cannot explain how happy I am that Johnny Depp has won - if Robert Pattinson had gotten the award I would have eaten everyone. Dont get me wrong, he's an alright actor, but certainly nothing special enough to win an actor of the decade award - like someone else said, he's hardly had many roles yet. And Zac Efron? Urgh.

Phys
07-01-10, 12:22
Woo! Go Johnny Depp :cln:

Dina_Croft
07-01-10, 13:10
Zac and Rob?LOL!I love of both of them but hell no!

I can't imagine anyone else winning this award.Congrats to Johnny!

voltz
07-01-10, 13:18
meh, publicity award.....

Dennis's Mom
07-01-10, 13:19
Depp's a good actor, but I think his volume of work in the 90s is superior.

Jack Sparrow, hands down, is one of the best performances eva, and he certainly gets my vote for MVP to a franchise.

He had no business being in Sweeny Todd, although he did OK. It was such a poor adaptation of the musical that I can't like it though.

2kool4u
07-01-10, 13:19

I second this :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
07-01-10, 14:37
A lovely actor and seemingly a lovely person :) I'm pleased to hear this x

LaraCroftRox
07-01-10, 14:39

**** the what?!

Ah well, Johnny Depp's a pretty good actor.

irjudd
07-01-10, 14:41
Yeah I can't really think of anyone else I'd give that title. Doesn't the decade have another year left though?

Chocola teapot
07-01-10, 14:45
Deserved it. :)

herothing
07-01-10, 15:18
I second this :vlol:

I think we all second that(mostly):D
Why would Zac Efron ever be a nominee he only got there for the amount of girls who love his looks. He doesnt even look that great!

And Johnny Depp is amazing! Can't wait for Pirates of the Caribbean 4!

Tonyrobinson
07-01-10, 15:20
Good Ol' Johnny beside Morgan Freeman he is one of my favourites :)

Phys
07-01-10, 15:40
Yeah I can't really think of anyone else I'd give that title. Doesn't the decade have another year left though?

I had a conversation about this last night :p We're in the 2nd decade of the 2000's now.

LightningRider
07-01-10, 15:52
meh, publicity award.....

Well, it is People's choice. :p

Lara Croft!
07-01-10, 17:29
Depp is a nice actor, but I can think of a lot more better. Edward Norton for example...

robm_2007
07-01-10, 17:46

2000-2009 is 10 years (decade)

2010-2019 is ten years (decade)

Candee Sparks
07-01-10, 18:00

What the **** are people smoking these days? Did drugged up monkeys pick the nominees or what?

Encore
07-01-10, 18:25
Johnny Depp has got far more style and charisma than actual acting abilities and as for the other 2 mentioned in the original post, well, they're not even worth a consideration. Unless acting talent per se has got nothing to do with this award and if so I'm sorry.

Leonardo DiCaprio, Heath Ledger or Ryan Gosling are examples of much better choices imo.

patriots88888
07-01-10, 18:45
Denzel Washington is by far better than any of the above mentioned. :ohn: Training Day, Crimson Tide, Man On Fire... the list goes on and on. And his new movie The Book Of Eli is sure to be a hit. :)

The Great Chi
07-01-10, 21:44
You take Hugh Grant, he always plays Hugh Grant no matter the film, same goes for Arnold 'Terminator' Swatisface, ie, same actor, same performance.
Now, what I like about Jonny Depp is that if you took anyone of his films and compaired it to another film where he plays a different character, you would find it difficult to realise that it is the same actor.

Now that is acting. So well done on winning.

Squibbly
07-01-10, 21:49
LOL @ the other nominees.

Yay Johnny. He does deserve it, I think. Like Chi said, his acting abilities are so strong and varied. Most actors/actresses have the same acting style for every movie, but Mr. Depp can play just about anything and make it believable.

Rai
07-01-10, 22:47
Well Johnny deserves it, so congrats to him! I don't know who Zac Efron is or Ryan Reynolds. :o

But why did Twilight win over Harry Potter? :hea:

Love2Raid
07-01-10, 23:01
Good for you Johnny! :tmb:

Great actor! Look at what he did in for example PotC, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hallow, Finding Neverland and much much more! Now compare that with what those insignificant ephemera Robert Pattison and Zac Efron have achieved. :vlol:

They never stood a chance.

patriots88888
08-01-10, 01:00
You take Hugh Grant, he always plays Hugh Grant no matter the film, same goes for Arnold 'Terminator' Swatisface, ie, same actor, same performance.
Now, what I like about Jonny Depp is that if you took anyone of his films and compaired it to another film where he plays a different character, you would find it difficult to realise that it is the same actor.

Now that is acting. So well done on winning.

Most actors (male and female) get typecast and that's unfortunate, however it exemplifies and showcases that actor's particulair strengths. Meryl Streep is a great actor who fortunately wasn't typecast and can play numerous different genres and roles. She gets the nod over all others for that ability as far as I'm concerned. It's also unfortunate that female actors don't get near the recognition they so deserve when compared to their male counterparts.

Tombraiderx08
08-01-10, 01:02
Good for him, at least he's been acting throughout the decade, not just a year or so :)

knightgames
08-01-10, 03:02
Depp is a nice actor, but I can think of a lot more better. Edward Norton for example...

I think he's probably the most consistant. From American History X to Fight Club, Red Dragon, The Illusionist. But I think Depp has had a longer career with which to compare.

Heck. For the longest time I didn't like Depp because I only associated him with 21 Jump Street. It wasn't until I saw Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas that I realized how good he really was. The only thing I've seen Depp in that dissappointed me was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Blow.

But I've LOVED everything I saw Norton in.

I consider them both great, and enjoyable. Certainly my movie watching enjoyment has been increased because of these two fine actors.

Jay mentioned Russel Crow - another who has had remarkable success and has demonstrated rarely matched acting talant. Master and Commander as well as A Dangerous Mind are both examples of fine work by Crow and are my favorites from him.

Encore
08-01-10, 14:42
Denzel Washington is by far better than any of the above mentioned. :ohn: Training Day, Crimson Tide, Man On Fire... the list goes on and on. And his new movie The Book Of Eli is sure to be a hit. :)

I was only mentioning actors of the newest generation. Denzel Washington, or any of my actual favourite ones for that matter, was already an established actor in the 90s and his two best roles are from that period (Hurricane and Malcolm X). The actors I mentioned on the other hand, were either discovered in the last decade, or in the case of Leo, matured and became much more talented than one would expect 10 years ago.

patriots88888
08-01-10, 14:55
I was only mentioning actors of the newest generation. Denzel Washington, or any of my actual favourite ones for that matter, was already an established actor in the 90s and his two best roles are from that period (Hurricane and Malcolm X). The actors I mentioned on the other hand, were either discovered in the last decade, or in the case of Leo, matured and became much more talented than one would expect 10 years ago.

Yea, I understand that. Just that going back to the OP, that shouldn't disqualify the already established actors from achieving any recognition, or in this case, awards.

ZapTheLadyBird
08-01-10, 16:20
Don't like him much... But I do prefer him over the other 2 you mentioned... Because neither are that good a actors, only being voted for because they're well... I don't know? Immature girls being blind and finding them attractive???

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-01-10, 16:22
Wooo! :yah: He deserved it. :tmb: