PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Quality of Life Index

Crisl
07-01-10, 11:01
Found this interesting http://internationalliving.com/Internal-Components/Further-Resources/quality-of-life-2010
194 countries of the world, which one offers the best quality of life? :)

To produce this annual Index we consider nine categories: Cost of Living, Culture and Leisure, Economy, Environment, Freedom, Health, Infrastructure, Safety and Risk, and Climate.

Do you live in a country of high qualities? :cln: For sure you do! :D

1. France

2. Australia

3. Switzerland

4. Germany

5. New Zealand

6. Luxembourg

7. United States

8. Belgium

9. Canada

10. Italy
and so on...
See the article for the complete scores.

Czech Republic is number 24! :eek: :yah:

Johnnay
07-01-10, 11:10
Australia 2nd

oh dear:(

tombraiderluka
07-01-10, 11:11
I told ya Mad Tony that France is the best :ton:

scoopy_loopy
07-01-10, 11:13
Wow, what happened to Norway? Usually they're above us; and on that note - go Australia! Woot! :yah: :D

Mad Tony
07-01-10, 11:15
The UK is 25th. Not surprising. It's probably our incredibly high cost of living which drags it down.

Crisl
07-01-10, 11:17
The UK is 25th. Not surprising. It's probably our incredibly high cost of living which drags it down.

Yep, they say it is...

January_Snow*
07-01-10, 11:18
That list doesnt look very credible to me, I mean a list of best places to live containing Albania, Moldova, North Korea.... seriosly :rolleyes:

Mad Tony
07-01-10, 11:18
Yep, they say it is...Believe me, it is! I'm surprised we're not bottom. Oh well, we should be improving soon. :)

@January Snow: They have every country on the list. Unsurprisingly, North Korea is near the bottom overall and second from bottom on the freedom list. Surprisingly, we rank pretty highly with regards to freedom. That's a surprise. Our prime minister wasn't even elected.

Ikas90
07-01-10, 11:19
I'd be afraid to be a UK resident. :p Cost of living is terrible.

Can't believe Australia is 2nd. I find things expensive here. :confused:

Johnnay
07-01-10, 11:21

Can't believe Australia is 2nd. I find things expensive here. :confused:

this

and my country is 101th:(

tombraiderluka
07-01-10, 11:21
That list doesnt look very credible to me, I mean a list of best places to live containing Albania, Moldova, North Korea.... seriosly :rolleyes:
Yeah.. I don't know what puzzles you?

Lara's home
07-01-10, 11:23
I'm surprised Norway isn't on top 10.

Mad Tony
07-01-10, 11:24

Can't believe Australia is 2nd. I find things expensive here. :confused:Yeah, it is, but compared to all the other countries in the world it's still one of the best to live.

The list factors in loads of things, not just prices. Believe it or not though, Australia really isn't that expensive. :p Come to the UK and I'll show you expensive. There's a tax for everything here.

this

and my country is 101th:(You're pretty much mid-table. For a developed country, that's pretty good. To be honest Australia should be first.

lara c. fan
07-01-10, 11:26
25th for Britain?

Meh...

Crisl
07-01-10, 11:27

Ok, I edited my first post to make it obvious that the list includes all the countries :)

McGloomy
07-01-10, 11:33
Good to know that Germany is very close to the top of the list. :tmb:

Johnnay
07-01-10, 11:39
Yeah, it is, but compared to all the other countries in the world it's still one of the best to live.

The list factors in loads of things, not just prices. Believe it or not though, Australia really isn't that expensive. :p Come to the UK and I'll show you expensive. There's a tax for everything here.

You're pretty much mid-table. For a developed country, that's pretty good. To be honest Australia should be first.

Armenia is not much developed though. We are the best country in the South Caucasus Overall( not referring to this table whatsoever but yeah)

Australia first

we have

. the most expensive food in the developed world

. interest rates are wayyy high compared to other developed nations

. Sydney is the most expensive city to live in:mad:

. Australias transport system is 3rd world crap

any more bright ideas Ben:)

Mad Tony
07-01-10, 11:44
Armenia is not much developed though. We are the best country in the South Caucasus Overall( not referring to this table whatsoever but yeah)

Australia first

we have

any more bright ideas Ben:)What's Armenia got to do with anything? You keep brining it up when it has no relevance to the topic. :confused:

- Probably not. The standard of living in Australia isn't that high. As such I wouldn't expect food to be the most expensive in the developed world.

- Looks like you're right there. Could be worse though

- No it's most certainly not. Plenty of European cities are definitely more expensive, as are London, New York and Moscow (to name a few).

- Australia's transport has been fine every time I've been there. It's hardly what I'd call 3rd world crap.

scion05
07-01-10, 11:47
Wow, that was a pretty rude remark you just made to Ben.

Yeah.. I don't know what puzzles you?

Well Moldova and Albania aren't exactly the worlds most spectacular places to live are they ? :rolleyes:

Mad Tony
07-01-10, 11:48
Nevermind

tombraiderluka
07-01-10, 11:49

Well Moldova and Albania aren't exactly the worlds most spectacular places to live are they ? :rolleyes:
But it has all the countries there :rolleyes:

scion05
07-01-10, 11:50
No. Kidding.

scoopy_loopy
07-01-10, 11:54

Australia first

we have

any more bright ideas Ben:)

Our food is no where near the most expensive, its cheap! We grow it all here in our country. Try going to somewhere like Japan and ordering a Steak! That'll show you expensive!

Our interest rates arent that high. Everyone is just making a fuss about it because its been raised for the first time in a few years - this actually shows a stronger economy.

Sydney is not the most expensive city to live in! Not by a mile!

Australia's transport network is flawed, Ill admit, but only things like Sydney CityRail are truly 3rd world :p Our airways/airports and most other cities are fine by 1st world standards.

Johnnay
07-01-10, 11:57
What's Armenia got to do with anything? You keep brining it up when it has no relevance to the topic. :confused:

- Probably not. The standard of living in Australia isn't that high. As such I wouldn't expect food to be the most expensive in the developed world.

- No it's most certainly not. Plenty of European cities are definitely more expensive, as are London, New York and Moscow (to name a few).

- Australia's transport has been fine every time I've been there. It's hardly what I'd call 3rd world crap.

http://www.7perth.com.au/view/today-tonight-articles/20090826191332/
looks like Australia groceries beats any developed country and yes i have heard this on the news too

Sydney is in the top 20 expensive places to live though

oh yes it is. at least Australias transport system isnt new( it is outdated) and yes it looks outdated, and yes ive been to sydneys trains and buses and believe me they are outdated as hell

Ikas90
07-01-10, 11:57
Yeah, it is, but compared to all the other countries in the world it's still one of the best to live.

You're pretty much mid-table. For a developed country, that's pretty good. To be honest Australia should be first.

That's what makes me afraid to go there. :p

Would be a nice place to live though. It's closer to the rest of the world, which is very convenient for me.

As for Australia, we're definitely one of the most economically stable countries in the world. We're almost completely out of our recession, as opposed to the UK. We're also good with everything else on the list (and the UK is too).

Johnnay
07-01-10, 12:01
Our food is no where near the most expensive, its cheap! We grow it all here in our country.

Our interest rates arent that high. Everyone is just making a fuss about it because its been raised for the first time in a few years - this actually shows a stronger economy.

Australia's transport network is flawed, Ill admit, but only things like Sydney CityRail are truly 3rd world :p Our airways/airports and most other cities are fine by 1st world standards.

but because of drought and all our food is expensive. Hmph

if our government was smart interest rates should be at least 0 ****ING percent( which wont happen) not nearly 4 percent

and i dont really focus on our airports though. i for public transport focus on the trains, buses, trams and all, and yes Gangstas spray graffiti on a lot of them making Australias public transport look crap as hell

As for Australia, we're definitely one of the most economically stable countries in the world. We're almost completely out of our recession, as opposed to the UK. We're also good with everything else on the list (and the UK is too).

no wonder why we are called the luckliest country in the world

On another note i see Norway isnt 1st like it was used to

how rude was it when he has a mind of a british politican

Punaxe
07-01-10, 12:04
The ranking is not entirely clear, in that looking at the final scores, there's actually a lot of shared places, and I'm seeing no consistency in secondary ranking criteria for same-score countries. So by actual scores, the top 10 seems to be:

1. France (82)
2. Australia/Switzerland/Germany (81)
3. New Zealand (79)
4. Luxembourg/United States/Belgium (78)
5. Canada/Italy/Netherlands/Norway/Austria (77)
6. Liechtenstein/Malta/Denmark/Spain (76)
7. Finland/Uruguay (75)
8. Hungary (74)
9. Portugal/Lithuania/Andorra/Czech Republic/United Kingdom (73)
10. Argentina/Slovenia/Greece/Monaco (72)

scoopy_loopy
07-01-10, 12:21
but because of drought and all our food is expensive. Hmph

its really not that bad....

if our government was smart interest rates should be at least 0 ****ING percent( which wont happen) not nearly 4 percent

Yeah, I want totally want inflation alike Zimbabwe :tmb:

and i dont really focus on our airports though. i for public transport focus on the trains, buses, trams and all, and yes Gangstas spray graffiti on a lot of them making Australias public transport look crap as hell

I challenge you to find a nation that doesnt have graffiti on public trains

My responses in bold.

Johnnay
07-01-10, 12:26
Oh the last one is very obvious..... Signapore

do something like that there and you can get fined.

lara c. fan
07-01-10, 12:29
What's Armenia got to do with anything? You keep brining it up when it has no relevance to the topic. :confused:

Especially Harrods.
Damn that stuff is expensive :p

scoopy_loopy
07-01-10, 12:41
Oh the last one is very obvious..... Signapore

do something like that there and you can get fined.

God, stop posting :p Youre making me facepalm on your behalf.

Marianna12
07-01-10, 12:45
Greece #28...:jmp:

Crisl
07-01-10, 13:38
The ranking is not entirely clear, in that looking at the final scores, there's actually a lot of shared places, and I'm seeing no consistency in secondary ranking criteria for same-score countries. So by actual scores, the top 10 seems to be:

1. France (82)
3. New Zealand (79)
7. Finland/Uruguay (75)
8. Hungary (74)

Hmm...and isn't that because the cost of living and economy make a 15% share in the ranking (and the rest just 10%), so that the country that has these two criteria better scored than another one with the same score, is on a better place?
Don't know, just guessing :)

Punaxe
07-01-10, 13:49
Hmm...and isn't that because the cost of living and economy make a 15% share in the ranking (and the rest just 10%), so that the country that has these two criteria better scored than another one with the same score, is on a better place?
Don't know, just guessing :)

Nope, for example, the combined score of those two aspects of the number 4 in the list is actually better than of number 3... So the criteria remain unclear. :p

Lemmie
07-01-10, 13:51
I don't really find this list that credible. It seems to be targeted towards tourists and people who buy second homes abroad as opposed to people who actually live there.

LightningRider
07-01-10, 13:53
55th. Cool. :)

Archetype
07-01-10, 13:54
lol @ UK ..

Crisl
07-01-10, 13:55
Nope, for example, the combined score of those two aspects of the number 4 in the list is actually better than of number 3... So the criteria remain unclear. :p

Ah, ok then...I checked it only briefly and it seemed like an explanation to me :D

Another Lara
07-01-10, 13:59
I honestly cannot see how France can be Number 1... no offence to any French people on here, but I've never enjoyed any holidays I've had in France, mainly because I find the people extremely rude and I found it quite expensive!

If anything Italy should be top... I love it there!

Doesn't surprise me where the UK came though, who'd wanna come here?!?!

Your_Envy*
07-01-10, 14:05

1. France (82)
3. New Zealand (79)
7. Finland/Uruguay (75)
8. Hungary (74)

I like your list cause that makes us number 10! :D

And Another Lara, I found Italians rude and I was there 3 or 4 times. And if you want some coffee in Venice.. Bring a lot of money with you! :vlol:
(I have nothing against them, just bad experiences, so no offense. :))

MiCkiZ88
07-01-10, 14:07
The Nethalands is 11th, hmm.. well it is quite nice here actually. :D Finland got a rather high score for Leisure and Culture.

Cost of Living: 39
Leisure & Culture: 93
Economy: 66
Environment: 68
Freedom: 100
Health: 81
Infrastructure: 76
Risk & Safety: 100
Climate: 76
Final Score: 75

I am not surprised by the cost of living at all. It is very expensive to live there. :o Environment score could have been higher as our nature is very rich and Finland is one big forest tbh.

Im surprised that USA's freedom score is only 92.

Chocola teapot
07-01-10, 15:27
Lmao! We are 25! :vlol:

Another Lara
07-01-10, 16:15
And Another Lara, I found Italians rude and I was there 3 or 4 times. And if you want some coffee in Venice.. Bring a lot of money with you! :vlol:
(I have nothing against them, just bad experiences, so no offense. :))

I have never found Italians rude everytime I've been , although I know they can be (like you said depends on your individual experiences), I also find the Greeks to be lovely people and a lot more laid back than most... French people are renowned for being rude, at least where I'm from! And burger and chips in Paris costs an arm and a leg! :o

mind
07-01-10, 16:31
Slovakia is 43rd. I feel like a village idiot.

mau3genius
07-01-10, 16:33
If "Country" was actually real, I'd hate to live there :p
country (http://www1.internationalliving.com/qofl2010/show_country.php?country=country) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
lol Lame joke.
lmfao we're like, 26th. Which is cool considering I would've put my country way below (like maybe 89th or something like that :p)

digitizedboy
07-01-10, 16:43
That's it! my bags are packed, I'm off to Luxembourg.

January_Snow*
07-01-10, 17:38
But it has all the countries there :rolleyes:

Really? I didnt find Serbia?

Your_Envy*
07-01-10, 17:38
I have never found Italians rude everytime I've been , although I know they can be (like you said depends on your individual experiences), I also find the Greeks to be lovely people and a lot more laid back than most... French people are renowned for being rude, at least where I'm from! And burger and chips in Paris costs an arm and a leg! :o

I've never been in France and that "arm and leg" thing sounds horrible! :vlol: Yeah, it really depends on personal experiences. :D I can say Swedish people are one of the nicest people out there. :cln:

By the way, where are Serbia and Montenegro on that list? I can't find them. :o
Oh and Kosovo?

scion05
07-01-10, 17:46
how rude was it when he has a mind of a british politican

I don't think he's that dumb :ton:

EmeraldFields
07-01-10, 17:49
Yay! The US is in the top 10!:D

tombraiderluka
07-01-10, 17:51
Really? I didnt find Serbia?
Yeah and me too :confused: I thought I did at first. And Montenegro?

EmeraldFields
07-01-10, 18:01
LMAO! They mention Nebraska in the article!

As readers will on occasion point out: It's possible to rent a place in central Nebraska for the same price you'll pay in Merida, Mexico. (Though that does beg the question: There amid the cornfields, can you see the opera, enjoy the café culture, or be at the beach in half an hour?)

I'm afraid that you probably wonn't be able to go to the opera or see the beach though. And I don't think coffee shops count as 'café culture' lol.:p