PDA

View Full Version : battered or well loved?

touchthesky
07-01-10, 19:58
do you think this book is battered or well loved? THIS THREAD DOES SERVE A PURPOSE! it will help solve an age long dispute between me and my boyfriend lol.
The book is a copy of Stephen Kings IT, and its mine. He says it's battered, and unloved. I say it's well loved.

What about you guys? Is this book well loved, or is it battered?

Should you let books get in such a "horrible, retched" state, or not?

Please bare in mind it's one of my favourite books of all time. I've read it perhaps three times in full.

Here is said book:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs123.snc3/17039_413816540108_887575108_10438809_1074693_n.jp g

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs123.snc3/17039_413816505108_887575108_10438808_2112276_n.jp g

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs143.snc3/17039_413816480108_887575108_10438807_5308594_n.jp g

Nenya awakens
07-01-10, 20:00
Well loved, most of my well read books look like that :)

TombRaiderLover
07-01-10, 20:01
I have the same edition of the book, and AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Definitely battered. :p I try and take good care of my books and films, even when using them excessively. Having said that, my Evil Dead Trilogy boxset which was one of my first DVDs isn't looking very pretty.

cbragg09
07-01-10, 20:02
cant the book be battered AND loved at the same time?

CroftGameGirl
07-01-10, 20:02
I'd say definataley well loved. You said you've read it a few times in full, and it's one of your favourites :) 'Of all time', too :D

Very well loved, me thinks :tmb:

touchthesky
07-01-10, 20:03
cant the book be battered AND loved at the same time?

I don;t think so lol.

His view point is that if you love a book you'll keep it pristine! :ton:

Rai
07-01-10, 20:03
Oh oh, I hate it when books are allowed to get in that state. It's sacraligious, lo :pl. It depends on how old the book is, I guess. It looks like you must have read it a lot though. So, a battered but well loved book is what I'm going with here. :D

Tombraiderx08
07-01-10, 20:06
I dont know where to stand on that :S

Laralissa
07-01-10, 20:06
Well loved. I cant stand people who buy books just to stick them on the selve and keep them in pristeen condition. Whats the point if youre not going to read them? Dont get me wrong, Im not saying in order to read a book you have to throw it against a wall and set it on fire, but its just inevitable that if you keep turning a books pages, eventually itll look different to when you first bought it :p If that makes any sense whatsoever...

Also I never use bookmarks - always fall out and I lose my place, so turning over the corners it is :D

Changeling
07-01-10, 20:08
Well-loved. :D My old TR games had been played and used so much that it was scratches galore and I always seemed to take care of them. Therefore, I'd say it's well-loved.

cbragg09
07-01-10, 20:10
Well loved. I cant stand people who buy books just to stick them on the selve and keep them in pristeen condition. Whats the point if youre not going to read them? Dont get me wrong, Im not saying in order to read a book you have to throw it against a wall and set it on fire, but its just inevitable that if you keep turning a books pages, eventually itll look different to when you first bought it :p If that makes any sense whatsoever...

Also I never use bookmarks - always fall out and I lose my place, so turning over the corners it is :D

i actually AGREE with touchthesky, i have the SD Perry Resident Evil books for over 7 years now and aside from yellowing pages they look fine

HOWEVER
i think the more its worn, the more its been used and handled, the more its loved

patriots88888
07-01-10, 20:27
His book, he can do with it whatever he so chooses. He can burn it for all I care.

Lavinder
07-01-10, 20:36
Loved! A worn book, is a sign of a good book!

Turtle
07-01-10, 20:37

I am said boyfriend. I have managed to read the majority of the books that I own and I will be reading the rest. However, I manage to keep mine in a decent condition. Very few are as new, but they look fantastic compared to Vicky's. Which tend to look as though they've just finished last in a fight. They're all falling to bits and won't last many more readings. Which would make it a waste of money since Vicky is the type of person who will go and buy new copies and proceed to do the exact same thing.

Lavinder
07-01-10, 20:39
I am said boyfriend. I have managed to read the majority of the books that I own and I will be reading the rest. However, I manage to keep mine in a decent condition. Very few are as new, but they look fantastic compared to Vicky's. Which tend to look as though they've just finished last in a fight. They're all falling to bits and won't last many more readings. Which would make it a waste of money since Vicky is the type of person who will go and buy new copies and proceed to do the exact same thing.

Urghh, you're exactly like my boyfriend ... as long as you can read the pages then it is fine :ton:.

Punaxe
07-01-10, 20:40
I guess you may need to separate the physical "book" entity from the metaphysical "content" entity - the content is clearly well-loved, but the book itself could have probably been taken better care of. :p

Reggie
07-01-10, 20:41
^Good distinction.

I suppose the point at which it 'looks' battered is when the cover is missing bits from it. Dog earredness and creasing is fine but it doesn't look so good when a book looks like its falling apart. :p

da tomb raider!
07-01-10, 20:46
Battered if you ask me. In my experience, it's always possible to keep any type of media, be it book, optical disc or something else, in reasonable condition, even if one is still accessing it frequently. No offence, though. :p

Turtle
Okay. I love the James Bond books and several of my James Bond books which I bought new (I bought loads second hand because thats the only way to get a lot of them) have minor creasing. Those books are well loved. Vickys book has its cover both falling and peeling off. It has been eaten by a cat and the vast majority of the pages are torn.

This is not loved, were it a child, it would be taken away by social services.

Love2Raid
Loved! A worn book, is a sign of a good book!

Couldn't agree more. :tmb:

AmericanAssassin
07-01-10, 20:48
My favorite books that I've read multiple times are in perfection condition. Therefore, I'm going to have to go with battered. ;)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
07-01-10, 21:18
You should dip it in batter and deep fry it. THAT will make it unique :D

Lavinder
07-01-10, 21:27
You should dip it in batter and deep fry it. THAT will make it unique :D

Now you've successfully made me hungry via avatar and post - you got skills!

jamieoliver22
07-01-10, 21:34

I completely agree with you.

Urghh, you're exactly like my boyfriend ... as long as you can read the pages then it is fine :ton:.

Oh shush you.

scion05
07-01-10, 21:47
Honestly. Battered lol.

Even the books of mine that I love the most aren't like that :ton: Looks like your Brody's been eating it.

Lemmie
07-01-10, 22:32
Slightly foxed, I would say.

Tonyrobinson
07-01-10, 22:36
Battered through loving it well :)

Minty Mouth
07-01-10, 22:41
If you've only read it three times, and treat it with even a little respect, you would not have a book in that condition :p

touchthesky
07-01-10, 22:49
I have read these two more than IT.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs037.snc3/12460_383387845108_887575108_10119575_5597918_n.jp g

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs037.snc3/12460_383387830108_887575108_10119574_1297011_n.jp g

Douglas (bf) is actually SO embaressed by these books that he refuses to be seen with me in public when I am reading them and requested I buy new copies from Tesco! I said no. Okay, so he doesn't really refuse to be seen with me but he does kick up a wee bit of a fuss before we go out of I'm reading them lol. Most guys would have the problem with the fact it's Twilight, he has the problem that it's a dogged copy =P

I am proud of my books, guys :(.

Minty Mouth
07-01-10, 22:49
I can't stand creased spines :(

Rai
07-01-10, 23:04
I have read these two more than IT.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs037.snc3/12460_383387845108_887575108_10119575_5597918_n.jp g

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs037.snc3/12460_383387830108_887575108_10119574_1297011_n.jp g

Well...you can treat those books however you like. :whi:

I am proud of my books, guys :( Aww, :hug: we know really.

cbragg09
08-01-10, 00:20
Battered if you ask me. In my experience, it's always possible to keep any type of media, be it book, optical disc or something else, in reasonable condition, even if one is still accessing it frequently. No offence, though. :p

once again i agree

i have had my PlayStation copy of TR2 for\\rom 1997 to now 2010 making it [almost] 13 years and it works good as new
but STILL, even something like water can be wiped from a compact disc but on paper, well its pretty much warped or wrinkled even if both occasions was an accident

Quasimodo
08-01-10, 01:49
After seeing the pics in the OP my first thought was "Did you chew on it?" :vlol:

Most paperbacks don't seem to survive long being toted around in bags and such.

Shark_Blade
08-01-10, 05:39
I feel that you love the book, but you neglect to take care of it.

With most of my books, they were used many times but I always wrap them with transparent plastic wrapper. That way, the cover will remain in tact for years and it will receive minor damage due to the protection.

ShadyCroft
08-01-10, 07:59
it looks battered. It IS battered, but that's a sign that its well loved. :) Yes, IMO, it can be battered and well loved.
Well love doesn't mean you have to put it on a cushion and inside a glass gallery and a bunch of lasers around.
Sure if you can preserve the look of the book, take care of it, that's fine, but its not a big deal imo. :)

Another Lara
08-01-10, 08:11
The fact that you ahve only read that book three times says to me battered... I am a proper book worm and I don't think I have many books that I have only read once! I also have two books that were given to me by my mum and dad from the fifties and sixties, and even though the pages are yellow, they still don't look as bad as that (and yes they are paperback)! :p

Doesn't mean you don't love the book though, but you could take more care of them... especially bending the spine, that's a pet hate of mine!

snork
08-01-10, 08:14
Good thing about books in that poor shape is - you do not have to be careful with them.

You can take it with you to read on the beach, or read it in the bathtub and so on.

I bought books in roughly that shape from flea markets for such purposes.

TTV
08-01-10, 15:59
Well-Loved :D

Ada the Mental
08-01-10, 16:22
Normally, I'd say worn equals well loved (especially where stupid paperbacks are concerned), but WHAT did you do to the cover? :vlol:

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-01-10, 16:23
It depends. It's well loved if it got to that state from reading it so much, but I'd call it battered if it got that way from leaving it on the floor or throwing it around. :p

ShadyCroft
08-01-10, 17:08
It depends. It's well loved if it got to that state from reading it so much, but I'd call it battered if it got that way from leaving it on the floor or throwing it around.

a perfect answer right here. :tmb:

touchthesky
08-01-10, 17:11
Normally, I'd say worn equals well loved (especially where stupid paperbacks are concerned), but WHAT did you do to the cover? :vlol:

Well.

I accidently left it at a train station for a few hours so Im not sure what happened to it during it's stay, then I walked in on my cat chewing it, and well other than that it's just perfect!!! :o

I left it next to the kettle earlier and my boyfriends Dad was like "Vicky, what on EARTH has happened to your book?"

Alive_and_Funky
08-01-10, 17:27
Judging by how much of the front cover is missing, I would say it is pretty battered. It looks as though someone has made an attempt at eating it. :p

EDIT: So it has been chewed!

Minty Mouth
08-01-10, 20:31
Judging by how much of the front cover is missing, I would say it is pretty battered. It looks as though someone has made an attempt at eating it. :p

EDIT: So it has been chewed!

I can't imagine 'It' would taste very good :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
08-01-10, 20:38
books = well-loved

paper - battered

:p

elizard_9594
08-01-10, 21:38
well loved. the entire cover and bits of the edges of pages is missing off of my sisterhood of the traveling pants: forever in blue book, but that's cuz ive read it many times and one time, i left in the shotgun seat of my mom's car. well, my sister climbed out of that door because of childlocks on her door when she wasnt supposed to and ran inside with us. i went to the bathroom and fixed my hair cuz we were goin somewhere and i was supposed to look nice. well, i went back outside to get back in the car and there lay my book with my puppy gnawing on it. i shooed him off and had to fight him for it back but i taped what of it i could back together. and my book is still considered well-loved, even though the cover was unable to be reattached.

miss.haggard
08-01-10, 22:12
I try to keep my books in good shape, they just look better on the shelf that way. But my poor "Adventures of Han Solo" book has gotten a good beating... again... and again...

lara c. fan
08-01-10, 22:42
Well loved

HappyShannon
08-01-10, 23:45
Battered and well loved :D

If it got that way from reading, it's well loved, but how does reading make a book cover turn into that? :p

So, in short, I'm no help at all :D

CerebralAssassin
09-01-10, 00:21
looks like a mouse has been nibbling on it lol...

but otherwise...I'd say it's well loved!:p

Atlantean-Squid
09-01-10, 00:41
I'm going to be controversial and go with battered.