PDA

View Full Version : HOw is it that so many people have Photoshop CS4

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-01-10, 00:36
I know this seems like an asinine question, but the program is like $700.00, and loads of people here seem to have it. Just surprises me.

digitizedboy
10-01-10, 00:40
I dunno. :shrug:

Encore
10-01-10, 00:40
Guys, don't reply!

http://img2.pict.com/09/2e/a4/2450880/0/itsatrap.jpg

Quasimodo
10-01-10, 00:41
I got mine from discountsoftwaremountain.com for about $330. There's also lots of student-age people here who can get discounts, but they can't use it for commercial work. Many more just have the 30 day trial version, and of course there's lots of pirated copies out there.

Mokono
10-01-10, 00:43
I know this seems like an asinine question, but the program is like $700.00, and loads of people here seem to have it. Just surprises me.

Are you sure they use the CS4? I wouldn't be surprised that most of the "shoopers" use lower versions, and even Gimp. But if someone can afford it, then good grief i assume.

LaraLuvrrr
10-01-10, 00:43
Guys, don't reply!

:vlol:

Punaxe
10-01-10, 00:51
I personally prefer the way cheaper CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, which I believe to have better vector capabilities. I don't do a lot of raster editing, so even though PhotoShop may be better for it, I don't care for it much - especially not at that price.

Shauni
10-01-10, 01:03
I'm still stuck with a cruddy art program *tear* xP

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-01-10, 01:05
I have CS3 :p

tombraiderluka
10-01-10, 01:07
I have CS3 :p
Me too.

irjudd
10-01-10, 01:11
Are you asking for tips on how to use limewire, or how to make money? I'm confused.

tombraiderluka
10-01-10, 01:11
Are you asking for tips on how to use limewire, or how to make money? I'm confused.
Limewire sucks anyway, full of viruses.

Shark_Blade
10-01-10, 01:34
I have CS2. :o
My friend has CS3 & 4.

gbetch
10-01-10, 01:37
i think most people are using GIMP. That is what i use. I think most people say they "photoshopped" something because that is just the first thing you think of when you think of photot editing. Like how Thermose is a brand name but people still call insulated drink containers thermoses. its more just the word that is programed into peoples heads as what to call a edited image. Also, a lot of people get it illegily (had a friend get cought doing that) and there are the few who can afford it. like i said tho. most of it is GIMP i think.

Legend of Lara
10-01-10, 01:54
I use GIMP. It does what it's supposed to, and it's free.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-01-10, 01:55
I'm still stuck with a cruddy art program *tear* xP

I have a version of CS2. But the only thing I ever use it for is re-sizing pictures (I know, it's like using one of these (http://ingenieriaenlared.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/caterpillar-a.gif) to haul a sheet of plywood)

While making this thread I had completely forgotten that there are a lot of artists in the forum, I guess to them it's worth the money.

tranniversary119
10-01-10, 02:17
I have CS3.

TRfan23
10-01-10, 02:21
Personally I'd prefer to buy it (If I was using it, I use GIMP for my own stuff I do) but a lot of students use it nowadays especially on courses. If they could lower their prices, by enough... Of course it's a pro program so money has to come into it, and GIMP isn't brilliant...

LightningRider
10-01-10, 03:53
i think most people are using GIMP. That is what i use. I think most people say they "photoshopped" something because that is just the first thing you think of when you think of photot editing. Like how Thermose is a brand name but people still call insulated drink containers thermoses. its more just the word that is programed into peoples heads as what to call a edited image. Also, a lot of people get it illegily (had a friend get cought doing that) and there are the few who can afford it. like i said tho. most of it is GIMP i think.

Exactly, photoshop is not photoshop, it's editing a pic, but photoshopping is stuck in people's minds, so yeah. :)

Legend 4ever
10-01-10, 06:05
Guys, don't reply!

That thing is disgusting.

Aranara
10-01-10, 07:55
I use Paint.NET, but I also have Photoshop CS3:o

Minty Mouth
10-01-10, 09:19
Guys, don't reply!

The funny part is the intended useage of this image.

Lavinder
10-01-10, 10:34
;) You do realise that it's against the forum rules to discuss this sort of stuff.

You know what I don't understand? When someone mentioned they've downloaded a computer game on this forum they get sent to Coventry - whereas all you guys are like, hell yeah I stole some software, it's the same thing!

Although I'm the worst person to be to be giving you a rollicking, if you get my meaning.

Carbonek_0051
10-01-10, 10:39
I don't have any Photoshops. :/

I just barely got Paint.NET .:p

Gabi
10-01-10, 12:30
;) You do realise that it's against the forum rules to discuss this sort of stuff.

You know what I don't understand? When someone mentioned they've downloaded a computer game on this forum they get sent to Coventry - whereas all you guys are like, hell yeah I stole some software, it's the same thing!

Although I'm the worst person to be to be giving you a rollicking, if you get my meaning.
Thank you, Lavinder. :)
Of course you are right and I have now edited/removed the posts mentioning the illegal use of software. (I have just come online)
And before someone might get riled up about it: while there is freedom of speech and all that, we can not allow such discussion because it might be seen as us condoning or even encouraging such methods.
I hope you understand.

Jack Croft
10-01-10, 13:00
CS2 here.

Eddie Haskell
10-01-10, 13:18
I have the latest version and have never used it...yet. In fact it's still sealed in the box. I mentioned that I wanted to mess around with old family pictures and slides that I had, and my wife bought it for me late last year. Plan on loading it up soon. Is it difficult to use?

toxicraider
10-01-10, 13:33
I don't think many people have CS4
Well...I don't :ton:

trXD
10-01-10, 13:34
http://www.warwicksu.com/asset/event/4004/Pirate.gif

(i use paint.net)

TRfan23
10-01-10, 13:39
I have the latest version and have never used it...yet. In fact it's still sealed in the box. I mentioned that I wanted to mess around with old family pictures and slides that I had, and my wife bought it for me late last year. Plan on loading it up soon. Is it difficult to use?

Well a lot of people I know have said it takes about 6 months or a year to learn so... :whi:

Chocola teapot
10-01-10, 13:39
I Wish. :|

Eddie Haskell
10-01-10, 13:40
My God! I just looked it up on Amazon, this thing is outrageously priced! How the hell did she think it was ok to buy this for me? I don't need something this complex and expensive. What's the rationale for the nearly $700 price tag?

Chocola teapot
10-01-10, 13:43
My God! I just looked it up on Amazon, this thing is outrageously priced! How the hell did she think it was ok to buy this for me? I don't need something this complex and expensive. What's the rationale for the nearly $700 price tag?

Oh my gosh, Are you serious.

Thats just Lol, Rediculous.

egypt_gypsie
10-01-10, 15:23
Well a lot of people I know have said it takes about 6 months or a year to learn so... :whi:

I learned it pretty quickly in about a month with a digital photo class, and then I taught myself all the intricate stuff.

It really isn't that complicated. At least I didn't think it was.

The only confusing thing might be figuring out how layers work and what you can do with them (layer masks etc.)

Maya is 10000x more difficult to make sense of for me then Photoshop is.

I have CS4 btw :D

MattTR
10-01-10, 15:28
I have CS0.. :vlol:

I don't have Photoshop, but I use Gimp - nice and free. :D

Minty Mouth
10-01-10, 16:33

Probably wouldn't say that. It really depends on what you want to do. You're never going to be a master as PhotoShop is you don't already have a talent for graphic design/keen eye for photography. But then again, why would you want to be a master if you didn't fit into either of those categories?

Use Gimp, it does everything PS does, Im pretty sure, and it's freeware.

Six
10-01-10, 16:46
I use Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 as a substitute for Photoshop, since it's a lot cheaper, and i mean a lot. To be fair, i use the software far from its initial use (digital art mostly, photo editing is the secondary use for me), but i can make it just as flexible as Photoshop with a lot of customization.

I used Photoshop for 2 years in college, as well as Illustrator and InDesign, but never really favoured them as much, as i've used PSP for years beforehand.

Love2Raid
10-01-10, 16:52
I use Paint.NET, it's good enough atm. Is GIMP better? :o

TRfan23
10-01-10, 16:56
Use Gimp, it does everything PS does, Im pretty sure, and it's freeware.

I use GIMP, I don't want to use Photoshop. I was just saying how difficult it is to learn in accordance to people I know who use it. e.g's - My dad, my sis and a couple of friends at college.

Actually GIMP & Photoshop according to those people have a big difference between them both.

Minty Mouth
10-01-10, 16:57
I use Paint.NET, it's good enough atm. Is GIMP better? :o

Technically yes, It can do a lot more. But Paint.net is more user friendly, and will do almost anything you need anyway.

irjudd
10-01-10, 17:01
Gimphoto is a million times better than both.

x2crazyidiot
10-01-10, 17:03
I use GIMP, although I've never really tried to use it properly (which I really should do). I only ever use Photoshop at school

Hairhelmet12
10-01-10, 17:17
That thing is disgusting.

Awwww. i think its cute :D

I think i has CS3 :3

ShadyCroft
10-01-10, 17:44
I have CS3. As for your question, some people can get it, others use piracy...all sorts of ways you know. :)

irjudd
10-01-10, 17:49

My immediate thought is that if your wife drops $700 on something and you haven't noticed until just now, you have other things to ponder than how hard CS4 is to use.

Eddie Haskell
10-01-10, 22:12
My immediate thought is that if your wife drops $700 on something and you haven't noticed until just now, you have other things to ponder than how hard CS4 is to use.

Ok, I don't exactly know what you mean, but I hope it wasn't a negative thing.

I found out that my wife got it for a song anyway. i had thought she purchased it from Amazon (like she does nearly everything else). However a client who owed her money paid part of a fee with it (she knocked off $200). So it was a darn good deal. I just hope that I can use it without taking a class to figure it out... :)

Love2Raid
10-01-10, 22:13
Technically yes, It can do a lot more. But Paint.net is more user friendly, and will do almost anything you need anyway.
Okay, thanks. :)
I'll check it out.

da tomb raider!
10-01-10, 22:24
Photoshop, schmotoshop, real artists use Paint!

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/picture.php?albumid=78&pictureid=1931

Chocola teapot
10-01-10, 22:26

Sheep! <3

TombRaiderLover
10-01-10, 22:27
Oh my, what a masterpiece. You can really feel the emotion of the sheep. :)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-01-10, 22:27

Awesome... :vlol:

Eddie Haskell
10-01-10, 22:32

Awww c'mon, I want to see Snoogie and Moogie in all their potential glory. But not Flabble Wobbah Lalski, that might upset my stomach... ;)

trlestew
10-01-10, 22:36
Gimphoto is a million times better than both.

Really?

da tomb raider!
10-01-10, 22:39
Awww c'mon, I want to see Snoogie and Moogie in all their potential glory. But not Flabble Wobbah Lalski, that might upset my stomach... ;)

I'm afraid that I could never abandon Paint. Still, Quasimodo made a great picture of Snoogie using a more advanced program not so long ago. That's about the closest we'll ever get to their potential glory. :p

Dustie
10-01-10, 22:43
I use Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 as a substitute for Photoshop, since it's a lot cheaper, and i mean a lot. To be fair, i use the software far from its initial use (digital art mostly, photo editing is the secondary use for me), but i can make it just as flexible as Photoshop with a lot of customization.

I used Photoshop for 2 years in college, as well as Illustrator and InDesign, but never really favoured them as much, as i've used PSP for years beforehand.
Nice to hear there's PSP users out there. I've been using it since discovered PSP5 and the day it happened I finally understood how all these great-looking graphics on the web are done. I haven't tried X2 yet, but I've been using X for some time now and it's a great substitute for Photoshop, since it lighter, more user-friendly and you can get very close results.

I think Photoshop is the most advanced graphics editing program out there nevertheless, right? My experience with it has always been the same, no matter which edition I try - basic things seem difficult to do with all the advanced tools and options sitting on the top. The thing is, once you get proper hang of PS, you can do anything with it. It's not overrated.

Catracoth
10-01-10, 22:51
I got CS4 for free :).

That's kind of rude. It seems that you're implying that members here are of the lower class or something.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-01-10, 22:51
I got CS4 for free :).

Care to expand on that? ;)

I'm afraid that I could never abandon Paint. Still, Quasimodo made a great picture of Snoogie using a more advanced program not so long ago. That's about the closest we'll ever get to their potential glory. :p

So where is it? :D

Quasimodo
10-01-10, 22:55

So where is it? :D

Prepare yourself...
http://i49.************/302tezd.jpg

Catracoth
10-01-10, 22:56

Not really, that's my little secret :).

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-01-10, 22:57
Prepare yourself...

HA!!! He spelled it "MOAR" - I love it.

Eddie Haskell
10-01-10, 23:14
Prepare yourself...

Imagine that as an enemy in a Tomb Raider game! Good Lord, you and da tomb raider! ought to team up and design some more nightmarish creations. He starts it off in paint, and you come in and finish it. What a team you'd make! :)

EDIT:
Man, Snoogie is truly horrifying! The expression is so primitive, fierce and totally hateful. If I met him in a game I'd want my BFG9000 at my side to be sure... :)

TRfan23
10-01-10, 23:16
Yeh but isn't trying to draw/paint your own image in photoshop the same as in paint. Considering you use the paint palette?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-01-10, 23:37
Imagine that as an enemy in a Tomb Raider game! Good Lord, you and da tomb raider! ought to team up and design some more nightmarish creations. He starts it off in paint, and you come in and finish it. What a team you'd make! :)

EDIT:
Man, Snoogie is truly horrifying! The expression is so primitive, fierce and totally hateful. If I met him in a game I'd want my BFG9000 at my side to be sure... :)

He's not hateful though... Just lonely :p

Eddie Haskell
10-01-10, 23:37
He's not hateful though... Just lonely :p

I wonder why? :p

Legend 4ever
12-01-10, 01:05
Awwww. i think its cute :D

I think i has CS3 :3
It almost made me puke. lol

spikejones
12-01-10, 02:55
I like GIMP. GIMP is FTW! I use GIMP for making animations, resizing and cropping images, image manips, etc...

granted the UI of GIMP can be confusing to a Photoshop user - and theres many differences between the two programs indeed. But I'm sure GIMP can do anything Photoshop can do (and possibly more with free Script-fu plugins etc..) with a bit of ingenuity. sure the options to do X effect may not be there.. but I have no doubt the same effect can be achieved.

aktrekker
12-01-10, 03:25
I tried GIMP on my laptop. It was so slow I couldn't do anything with it. Couldn't figure out how to change file associations or anything. I finally had to uninstall it.
I like my old PSP5. Quick for just viewing or browsing images. Good enough effects to do some neat things to images.

Quasimodo
12-01-10, 03:28
GIMP used to be my standby for digital painting, but it's far less stable than PS in my experience and the filter/script-fu were so slow and/or buggy that they were pretty much unusable.

SamReeves
12-01-10, 03:34
Photoshop is expensive if you don't have a license. That's inlcuded in the first full version of PS you purchase. Afterwards the upgrades cost a lot less. You can even skip a few versions, and still upgrade to the newest version. As I remember with CS2 you could upgrade from any version of PS.

GIMP is a nice alternative though. I'm still exploring its features on Windows.

spikejones
12-01-10, 03:49
I tried GIMP on my laptop. It was so slow I couldn't do anything with it. Couldn't figure out how to change file associations or anything. I finally had to uninstall it.
I like my old PSP5. Quick for just viewing or browsing images. Good enough effects to do some neat things to images.

yah gimp can be slow on some machines, but then again so can photoshop from my experience. ive used both - but for what I do, and as little as I do it - GIMP is better suited to the job.

EmeraldFields
12-01-10, 04:22
I use GIMP for all of my photo editing needs.:D

Lavinder
12-01-10, 07:44
Yeh but isn't trying to draw/paint your own image in photoshop the same as in paint. Considering you use the paint palette?

Not really - you have a variety of brushes and tablet support ;). You can also use layers, which can help with painting.

spikejones
12-01-10, 07:56
Not really - you have a variety of brushes and tablet support ;). You can also use layers, which can help with painting.

bah.. thats not true art:p

he who paints upon a canvas uses no layers.
:tea:

jamieoliver22
12-01-10, 08:35
bah.. thats not true art:p

he who paints upon a canvas uses no layers.
:tea:

What about layers of paint... :whi:

viper456
12-01-10, 08:39
What about layers of paint... :whi:

ITS A MYTH! :yik:

aussie500
12-01-10, 11:29
I have CS2 but only used it a few times for some of the filters when editing fiche scans, my version before that was even more ancient and not compatible with XP. A friend gave me his after he upgraded. I prefer using Paint Shop Pro, again it is old, but it does the job and I like it. I cannot afford to upgrade.

almayah
12-01-10, 11:32
I have both, cs3 and 4

Though i think cs3 is better, i don't know why:confused: