PDA

View Full Version : Haiti has devesataing earthquake.

knightgames
13-01-10, 03:44
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/13/2791129.htm

Hundreds feared dead. My local 11 PM said possibly THOUSANDS. These folks have nothing. Haiti is the poorest nation in the western hemesphere. I can't even imagine they have adequate support and emergency services to cover this.

LaraLuvrrr
13-01-10, 03:47
Why do the poorest always get screwed by natural disasters?

Is God a social darwinist?

TheBloodRed
13-01-10, 03:52
UNICEF is already asking for funds to prevent having problems in the case of a Tsunami in the surrounding regions...

What happens if no relief is needed? They keep the money. :P

Poor Haiti though, such a small island!!

Catapharact
13-01-10, 03:57
I got a call from Oxfam moments ago. They are going to be needing logistics officers and support in the region. The amature videos shot in the region show the true extent of the devistation. Its quite gruesome.

voltz
13-01-10, 04:01

http://sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2009-06-15.gif

knightgames
13-01-10, 04:08
I got a call from Oxfam moments ago. They are going to be needing logistics officers and support in the region. The amature videos shot in the region show the true extent of the devistation. Its quite gruesome.

What do you do that would be able to help in that capacity, Catapharact?

I was looking at some more on the PBS station. I'm speechless. The last earthquake I remember that affected Haiti like this was back in the 70s. I was taking French and my teacher took a leave of absense to minister aid to the citizens of that country. Being fluent he was able to help coordinate relief efforts as well as physically lend the proverbial hand.

He talked about it once, and I remember him saying finding fresh water was almost impossible. Disease spread and many died because of that.

Uzi master
13-01-10, 04:11
never actually heard of that place, but I feel sorry for them all the same, it seems that the only countries most people know in N/S America is probably Canada, U.S., Mexico and maybe cuba.

Catapharact
13-01-10, 04:19
What do you do that would be able to help in that capacity, Catapharact?

Well considering the amount of supplies that are going to be pouring in, and considering the fact that Haiti has been rifed with so much civil unrest for the past few years, its a no brainer that the supplies will need to be properly distributed by a third party working in conjunction with the Hatian people.

I have been called in on standby but they didn't tell me if they are going to be needing me yet. I guess they know about the fact that I collapsed a few days ago because of stress and dietary problems because I am a stubborned goof who just pushes himself to finish everything he can Lol!

Mokono
13-01-10, 04:31
You two drop your earthquake jokes. I'm not sure if any of you had ever felt one, but regardless, there's nothing worse than a natural disaster than people making fun of it.

http://i48.************/23tmlp4.jpg

Seriously, if i'm able to feel earthquakes happening miles away in the other extreme of my country, just imagine how it must feel having one striking your whole island (because i bet it was felt in Santo Domingo too). Also, look at the tremendous amount of aftershocks!

Details:

http://i46.************/tao74w.gif

Source (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010rja6.php)

Well considering the amount of supplies that are going to be pouring in, and considering the fact that Haiti has been rifed with so much civil unrest for the past few years, its a no brainer that the supplies will need to be properly distributed by a third party working in conjunction with the Hatian people.

Yes. The worse to be done in these situations is having the aid passing through the Government there, perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if Haiti was country with a low index of corruption, but that's definitely not the case, and there's gonna be a huge sack of supplies if they're given the chance (it happened here, so i wouldn't be surprised if it happens there too).

knightgames
13-01-10, 04:34
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Map of Haiti for those interested.

It's a LONG way from Saudi Arabia. If you manage to go Catapharact take care and be careful.

And hope you feel well soon.

D'oh. Mokono beat me to the map and stats. I imagine Jamaica and Cuba had a good shaking, and well as possibly parts of Florida feeling the impact of the quake too.

Mokono
13-01-10, 04:41
I imagine Jamaica and Cuba had a good shaking, and well as possibly parts of Florida feeling the impact of the quake too.

I bet they're already looking forward to a possible tsunami alert, i seriously hope the tsunami doesn't happen, one tragedy is more than enough.

rowanlim
13-01-10, 04:46
That's awful :( I hope they will get the help they need :(

voltz
13-01-10, 04:57
I remember the last one and it wasn't at all pretty to look at.

LaraLuvrrr
13-01-10, 05:08
I bet they're already looking forward to a possible tsunami alert, i seriously hope the tsunami doesn't happen, one tragedy is more than enough.

I live in South Florida... and i havent heard anything about a tsunami

Aranara
13-01-10, 05:22
I hope there won't be many deaths. The poor are always struck by natural disasters.

Mad Tony
13-01-10, 06:38

Is God a social darwinist?No, it's called tectonic plates. Some people are saying San Francisco is overdue for a big earthquake.

Anyway, BBC says hundreds are feared dead, but I wouldn't be surprised if that number rises quickly to thousands. Such a shame.

tonyme
13-01-10, 06:45
Oh no... That is so awful! I hope they're offered help with the emergency services, searches and hospitalisation cause I doubt they can do it all on their own...

T-Sex
13-01-10, 07:23
:( There were 6 aftershocks apparently.

Rivendell
13-01-10, 07:42
Just saw footage of it on the news - it looked horrific. :( Unimaginable devastation for them.

Encore
13-01-10, 15:01
:( It's scary how Nature can destroy everything we take for granted, in a matter of seconds...

Aranara
13-01-10, 16:01
I saw it on the news too. :(
It was really sad. And of course the had to put the dramatic music.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
13-01-10, 16:07
Terrible thing... There certainly is some Irony in the poorest people on earth getting hammered like this - but there are A LOT of fault lines, and cities built in high risk areas all around the world (Mexico City, Tokyo, Tehran etc...), it would be far worse in cities as populated as these.

Can anyone imagine how bad this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Valdivia_earthquake) one must have been?

Tombraiderx08
13-01-10, 16:21
Absolutely dreadful, all those poor people :(
I saw what it did to their white house, i cant imagine how devastated our nation would be if a catastrophe would strike our own. I pray they can recover alright.

Ward Dragon
13-01-10, 16:23
Terrible news :( I'll not look for the videos of it because I don't feel like getting even more sad.

There certainly is some Irony in the poorest people on earth getting hammered like this

I think people with more money can afford to live in safer areas (either further away from faults, or in buildings which are built better). Plus if a warning is given in advance, they could afford to pack up and leave.

Lemmie
14-01-10, 00:58
Poor Haiti. :( I'm glad to see that the International Community is responding as quickly as it is, and I hope the help gets there soon and is targeted in the right way.

tombraiderluka
14-01-10, 01:05
I'm sad to hear this. :(

Tommy123
14-01-10, 04:19
Its very sad, i pray for all the ppl

lcaddict
14-01-10, 07:07
Gee..I am so sorry for them..I heard that one hundred thousand people died..:(:( That is sad..I wish I could help them in any way possible..Earthquakes aren't things to laugh at..I am scared even of storms..And in Romania in the summer of 2009 there were like one earthquake after another one..

Rai
14-01-10, 12:30
:( Terrible thing to hapen to all those people. My heart goes out to them.

LightningRider
14-01-10, 12:37
Damn, I saw this. Wow, I feel real bad. It's horrible. :(

I'll pray for them as much as I can.

xXhayleyroxXx
14-01-10, 15:25
omg this is terrible :( i wish i could help

TombOfRaiders
14-01-10, 16:04
Apparently, they're receiving little aid.

Poor Guys, fortunate that us Brits have no tectonic plates pushing against us. I believe, every year we move 1cm east.

scoopy_loopy
14-01-10, 16:05
Its terrible, but I just read that Australia has already pledged $10 millon - hopefully this means the country will get alot of western financial backing and the country will be back on its feet in no time :(

ShadyCroft
14-01-10, 16:26
oh man, that's very terrible. :( I pray God be with them and they manage to stand on their feet quickly.

Quasimodo
14-01-10, 16:29
s3337cj4sJQ

xXhayleyroxXx
14-01-10, 16:31
^^^ thats so horrible :(

Reggie
14-01-10, 17:04
Found out about this before I went to sleep last night. What's to say? Its a really ****ty situation and I hope the necessary aid reaches them ASAP.

interstellardave
14-01-10, 17:22
I have to say that I never knew they were so poor that they ate dirt cookies... for years now!

This is indeed tragic; I'm contributing to aid my employer is sending. Beyond that something should be done to improve the standard of living there after this disaster is "over".

I realize there regime is totally corrupt... perhaps someone should take this opportunity to overthrow it?

Lara Croft!
14-01-10, 17:33

First thought on my mind when I heard about the news...

Lemmie
14-01-10, 17:43
I realize there regime is totally corrupt... perhaps someone should take this opportunity to overthrow it?

I don't know if that would be regarded well by Haitians. Besides, the government is (at least technically) democratically elected. But it's all a bit of a mess, truth be told.

n00b raider
14-01-10, 17:45

It's not God, it's people. Why is it that only when disaster strikes that the world pays attention to the poorest countries? If people can send money and resources now to try to help them, or at least our condolences and prayer, why not the rest of the time?
Also:

I think people with more money can afford to live in safer areas (either further away from faults, or in buildings which are built better). Plus if a warning is given in advance, they could afford to pack up and leave.

interstellardave
14-01-10, 17:46
I don't know if that would be regarded well by Haitians. Besides, the government is (at least technically) democratically elected. But it's all a bit of a mess, truth be told.

This is what people have to take into account when they say "why doesn't anyone help these people"? In normal times, at least, aid is limited by the government, which will confiscate it.

Lemmie
14-01-10, 17:52
This is what people have to take into account when they say "why doesn't anyone help these people"? In normal times, at least, aid is limited by the government, which will confiscate it.

Take what into account? A change of government?

I just meant that at this juncture, with up to (and possibly more than) 50,000 Haitians dead, three million more displaced or with ruined livelihoods, the country even weaker than it has been before - it might look opportunistic for any other nation to attempt a forced regime change, and be further resented by Haitians than the present government is already. (Besides, I'm not happy with the idea of overthrowing someone else's government).

I think that the right aid has to be given, more has to be given and it must be targeted in the most effective way.

ShadyCroft
14-01-10, 17:54
It's not God, it's people.

:confused: so people created this Earthquake ?!

actually, imo, its neither...its just how it is. Its Earth and the dynamics of Earth, tectonic crusts and their movement and all the Geology stuff that I do not remember well now. :o

Chocola teapot
14-01-10, 17:56
Absolutely Damn terrible! D:<

Bless them :(

interstellardave
14-01-10, 18:03
@ Lemmie:

I didn't say someone external to Haiti had to do it. It could come from within...

I mean, these people are literally dirt poor. I don't think that statement has ever been more accurate. So, what, we all help them through this tragedy and then the survivors continue to live the tragic lives they have been living? I would hope someone, somewhere, somehow, would make a permanant change for the better.

Lemmie
14-01-10, 18:09
@ Lemmie:

I didn't say someone external to Haiti had to do it. It could come from within...

I mean, these people are literally dirt poor. I don't think that statement has ever been more accurate. So, what, we all help them through this tragedy and then the survivors continue to live the tragic lives they have been living? I would hope someone, somewhere, somehow, would make a permanant change for the better.

Okay. Still, I think a civil war or a revolution for an overthrow of the government isn't a particularly good idea either.

I wasn't for a moment saying that we clean up after the earthquake and then high-tail it out of there. But you're right, Haiti needs more support to bolster their economy and their standard of living.

Jack Croft
14-01-10, 18:38
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Haitian_national_palace_earthquake.jpg/800px-Haitian_national_palace_earthquake.jpg

OMG

Aranara
14-01-10, 18:47
The White House?

lara c. fan
14-01-10, 18:48
The White House?

Definitely not....

Catapharact
14-01-10, 18:51
That's the Hatian National Palace... A historic Landmark...

White House? Someone obviously failed their Geography course Lol!

tomblover
14-01-10, 18:54
The White House? Computer definitely says no.

I just saw some little newborn baby suffering a skull fracture. :( She was gonna be okay though.

It did provoke tears. I feel sorry for everybody there. :(

ShadyCroft
14-01-10, 20:02
how could you mistake that for the White House ? :vlol: some resemblance but obviously different.

Haitian National palace. That's bad ! :(

TombOfRaiders
14-01-10, 20:32
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Haitian_national_palace_earthquake.jpg/800px-Haitian_national_palace_earthquake.jpg

OMG

Hey! It's the Reichstag 1945 all over again! LOL, only joking.

Man, that's a wreck!

Love2Raid
14-01-10, 21:13
how could you mistake that for the White House ? :vlol: some resemblance but obviously different.

Haitian National palace. That's bad ! :(

Well you canīt deny itīs a house, and a white one too. ;)

There is a lot of material damage for sure, but all of that can be rebuilt. Thousands of people have died, and still lots of people are stuck in collapsed buildings and will die soon if nobody gets them out in time. People are trying to remove the debris with their bare hands...
What a disaster! I canīt get the images of dead bodies lying on the streets (that I saw on the news) out of my head. It's a good thing that they are getting support from all over the world right now. I hope they will overcome this.

Kapu
14-01-10, 21:50
The White House?

The Haiti Presidential Palace, bud.

Tombraiderx08
14-01-10, 21:53
The today show referred to it as the white house of haiti though. But the foreign language department (apparently there is one? idk) is making an effort to raise money to help, especially our french classes :) (im in french 3)

Mad Tony
14-01-10, 22:46
The White House?Yep, the earthquake went all the way up the US and into D.C.

Seriously though, that building looks wrecked. I dread to think what normal homes look like after this earthquake.

Squibbly
14-01-10, 22:46
I've been checking the news daily for information on this. It's so terribly tragic, and also, a close friend of the family who is an RCMP officer was working in Haiti, and is one of the Canadians missing there. We fear he may be dead... no word yet. :(

I've made a donation, I hope more people will continue to do so if they are able to.

Aranara
15-01-10, 04:47
Oh My God you people clearly don't know what irony is.

Johnnay
15-01-10, 04:55
Yep, the earthquake went all the way up the US and into D.C.

Seriously though, that building looks wrecked. I dread to think what normal homes look like after this earthquake.

Proof please. Although it would affect the US but DC. Geez Haiti is soooo far away from DC.

right there isn't. Even wikipedia confirmed no such thing as that earthquake reaching as far as Washington DC.

Aranara
15-01-10, 04:55
:confused:

Ward Dragon
15-01-10, 04:56
Proof please. Although it would affect the US but DC. Geez Haiti is soooo far away from DC.

right there isn't. Even wikipedia confirmed no such thing as that earthquake reaching as far as Washington DC.

He was being sarcastic :)

Johnnay
15-01-10, 04:59
He was being sarcastic :)

no he wasnt, hes right although it happened many years ago

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1412

Isaac
15-01-10, 05:01
Yep, the earthquake went all the way up the US and into D.C.

Yes, he was. :P

Ward Dragon
15-01-10, 05:02
no he wasnt, hes right although it happened many years ago

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1412

Very interesting. The current earthquake wasn't strong enough to damage any buildings in D.C., which is what Mad Tony was remarking on.

Johnnay
15-01-10, 05:06
lol i thought he was refering to this earthquake and washington DC and i was like EPIC FAIL in front of his face

well another earthquake around the 1800s which got Haiti was felt in DC

Draco
15-01-10, 06:08
Earthquakes don't just happen to poor people, what kind of nonsensical statement was that?

The most expensive lands on earth are in earthquake hot zones.

Paddy
15-01-10, 06:12
Shameful that some have to make jokes in what is a thread about devastation and destruction :(

Mad Tony
15-01-10, 06:16
Shameful that some have to make jokes in what is a thread about devastation and destruction :(I'm not making jokes about the actual earthquake you know. Personally I don't see that as a laughing matter.

@Johnnay: Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I thought that was kind of obvious with the "seriously though".

Paddy
15-01-10, 06:17
I'm not making jokes about the actual earthquake you know. Personally I don't see that as a laughing matter.

@Johnnay: Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

I wasnt directing that at you.

Jedd Fletcher
15-01-10, 06:38
My classmate is baking cookies and selling them, with the proceeds going to helping the relief effort through the red cross. I bought a box, whatever one can do to help, right?

Croft, Lara
15-01-10, 08:20
Brad and Angelina donated $1'000'000 to Doctor Without Borders to help.

Meanwhile, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie announced that their foundation is donating $1 million to Doctors Without Borders, whose hospitals were leveled by Monday's earthquake.
"We understand the first response is critical to serve the immediate needs of countless people who are now displaced from their homes, are suffering trauma, and most require urgent care," Pitt said in a statement.

THE LINK (http://blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/01/george-clooney-organizes-haiti-telethon-brad-pitt-and-angelina-jolie-donate-1-million.html)

Jack Croft
15-01-10, 08:22
Downtown

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Downtown_Port_au_Prince_after_earthquake.jpg/800px-Downtown_Port_au_Prince_after_earthquake.jpg

remyma
15-01-10, 09:32
This makes me tear up. I feel so helpless sitting here in Europe!

tonyme
15-01-10, 09:36
Oh my God! :(

Punaxe
15-01-10, 14:51
The Big Picture photo series:
Earthquake in Haiti (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/earthquake_in_haiti.html)
Haiti 48 hours later (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/haiti_48_hours_later.html)

Keep in mind that some of the pictures can be rather unsettling.

In the meantime, I hear the rescue/aid workers are in need of armed guards because their vehicles are getting emptied by robbers... :/

EDIT: Fixed first URL.

nightwishgirl84
15-01-10, 14:59
It's so tragic.
Watching the news makes me feel really sad for these people in need.
It's horrible they don't have enough hospitals, medicine,food and water :(
I donated €25,- euro's as that's all I can spare but wished I could do more.
Asked my family and friends to donate some as well.
Luckily my country is trying to help by sending many rescue & aid workers, food & water, medicine and search dogs (to find the people still buried under rubble) along with 2 million euro's (does not include the donations of the public).

Mokono
15-01-10, 15:00
@ Punaxe: Your first link is broken.

Anyways, almost every single pic is from Port-au-Prince. The city has a 1 million from almost 10 millions inhabitants, so i wonder how's the situation elsewhere. Since the largest and also capital city of that country (where the little wealth and infraestructure could be found) can be seen in such devastation, it's not that hard to imagine how things are going in the rest of the country.

Jack Croft
15-01-10, 15:02
The Big Picture photo series:
Earthquake in Haiti (http://Earthquake%20in%20Haiti)
Haiti 48 hours later (http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/haiti_48_hours_later.html)

Keep in mind that some of the pictures can be rather unsettling.

In the meantime, I hear the rescue/aid workers are in need of armed guards because their vehicles are getting emptied by robbers... :/

My dear god, them pictures really say a 1000 words the situation is so much worse than I thought.

I'm actually speechless.....