PDA

View Full Version : Books to Films - A Level English C/W

woody543
14-01-10, 16:17
Hello,

I just wondered if anyone would be able to help me choose a book for my english coursework. Only the book has to have been made into a film or possibly a TV series or something similar.

It is for my English coursework, in which we have to analyse and compare a book or play to it's film or similar.

Obviously this is an A-level piece and Harry Potter probably won't cut it...

My teacher said it would be a lot better if we were to choose a book or film we are fond of, and know inside out, to give us a chance of a better grade.

Therefore my first thought was to do Stephen King's the shining, which was quickly shot down by my teacher who said "it takes a reading age of seven to read a Stephen King book" Which means the book will probably have to be a little more complex. She then also went on to mention that she didn't know if the director was well known enough, and that it was probably made in order to make money, and that we will need a film that we can talk about a bit more.

Obviously The Shining is still an option, who cares what she says? But I was wondering if anyone could recomend or comment on certain books translated to films, I will make a list below of all those books suggested by both my friends and myself for people to comment upon, along with my own comment.

Thanks in advance

The Shining - Possible, but with the teachers comment
LOTR - Haven't read the book, which may be too time consuming, given length
Harry Potter - Not suitable
Twilight - Get real!
I am Legend - Not read the book (can anyone recomend it?)
The Great Gatsby - Not allowed to do, as we are doing an exam on it.
Romeo And Juliet - Possible, but not my favourite

xXhayleyroxXx
14-01-10, 16:18
eragon?

lara c. fan
14-01-10, 16:20
The boy in the striped pyjamas?
I think thats a film as well:pi:

Aranara
Crime on the Orient Express :rolleyes:

I know this is innapropriate, but I had to put it here :p

LightningRider
Any love for True Blood? :)

Legend of Lara
14-01-10, 16:21
eragon?

Er... you're joking, right?

How about Carrie? Everyone loves Carrie.

BTW,

she didn't know if the director was well known enough

Kubrick?! Are you kidding me?!

scion05
14-01-10, 16:21
Stanley Kubrick not well known enough ? Where was she in the 70s and 80s ?

xXhayleyroxXx
14-01-10, 16:22
Er... you're joking, right?

How about Carrie? Everyone loves Carrie.

no

if the book didnt have to have the same name you could do homeward bound

woody543
14-01-10, 16:23
Yeah, I just did my research, and Kubrick probably is famous enough, especially as she suggested A Clockwork orange.

Spong
14-01-10, 16:24
Stanley Kubrick not well known enough ? Where was she in the 70s and 80s ?

I was gonna say that! :eek:

Your teacher thinks Stanley Kubrick is not well-known enough? Your teacher is an idiot and you may as well write an analysis of the Mr Men for all she knows.

ShadyCroft
14-01-10, 16:24
Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner.

Author:

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/1/16/George_and_Laura_Bush_with_Khaled_Hosseini_in_2007 _detail2.JPG

Book:

http://davecatlettjr.net/RHBK/Readinglist/KiteRunner.jpg

Movie:

http://warkscol.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/kite-runner-flyer.jpg

woody543
14-01-10, 16:30
My own issue with The Shining, is that I have never actually seen the film... Always been to scared... Haha... Is it really that scary? Should I do it?

xXhayleyroxXx
14-01-10, 16:33
My own issue with The Shining, is that I have never actually seen the film... Always been to scared... Haha... Is it really that scary? Should I do it?

i didnt find it scary - its more psychological than 'omg!'

woody543
14-01-10, 16:37
i didnt find it scary - its more psychological than 'omg!'

Ahhh I see, I read the book, and it was great, I think its that big old "18" sticker that does it for me... what about gore? I'm not one for gore?

Aranara
14-01-10, 16:37
It's psychological scary. Like "Room 1408". :D But you definitely need to see it! :tmb:
I'm not scared easily but that movie scared me to hell.

woody543
14-01-10, 16:42
It's psychological scary. Like "Room 1408". :D But you definitely need to see it! :tmb:
I'm not scared easily but that movie scared me to hell.

Don't say that! I'm easily scared haha!!

What about I am Legend, has anyone read that?

Aranara
14-01-10, 17:16
^
I haven't even seen the movie :vlol:
Was it good?

snork
14-01-10, 17:23
Yeah, I just did my research, and Kubrick probably is famous enough, especially as she suggested A Clockwork orange.

Why does your teacher do such a course if she doesn't know **** about movies ?

My teacher said it would be a lot better if we were to choose a book or film we are fond of, and know inside out,
That's the problem, I know this or that book/movie couple probably suitable for this coursework, but you probably don't know them ?

for example :
movie - Blade Runner / Book : Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep (Philip K. Dick)

George Orwell's 1984 - you have at least 2 movies made from that and maybe you read that one already at school ?
There is lots of documentation about this book and the movies available.

If you are looking for "unquestionable" movies / books :

Wizard of Oz - book of the same name.
This one made it into the UNESCO's Memory of the World Programme, hard to beat that.

Here you can look at a long list of movies, that were considered important enough to make it into the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.
Maybe you can find sth. there. :confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry

Dennis's Mom
14-01-10, 17:29
Many King books have been adapted into critically acclaimed movies:

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption - The Shawshank Redemption
The Body - Stand By Me
The Green Mile - The Green Mile

Of those, I would recommend The Body, a novella found in Different Seasons. It's the story of four boys off to see a dead body.

The Kite Runner is an excellent book; I didn't find the movie as compelling (sadly).

Coraline by Richard Gaiman was made into a wonderful movie.

Edit: I'll echo the Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?/Blade Runner. Also Through a Scanner Darkly was made into a cool cell-shaded movie with Keanu Reeves. I can't recommend Paul Giamatti's CD recording of that book highly enough.

Thorir
14-01-10, 17:35
The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.
One of my favourite books. :)

The film version stars Jeremy Irons, Meryl Streep, Glenn Close and Winona Ryder.
Very powerful story. The actors are fantastic.

Crisl
14-01-10, 17:38
The Shining would be good because the film was slightly different from the book and you might talk about that :) (if that's the purpose)

Or what about The Godfather? The book was absolutely awesome and the film has great critics too (haven't seen it).

How about Dracula? I liked the book too and the English level might be better than S. King's books. And the Coppola's film was good too :)

ShadyCroft
14-01-10, 17:45
Khaled Hosseini's Kite Runner.

Author:

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/1/16/George_and_Laura_Bush_with_Khaled_Hosseini_in_2007 _detail2.JPG

Book:

http://davecatlettjr.net/RHBK/Readinglist/KiteRunner.jpg

Movie:

http://warkscol.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/kite-runner-flyer.jpg

The Kite Runner is an excellent book; I didn't find the movie as compelling (sadly).

someone else knows this one too :D :tmb:

I didn't watch the movie cause I heard it wasn't as good as the book, and the book was very touching for me and was simply amazing, I didn't want to ruin it if the movie wasn't as good.

HappyShannon
14-01-10, 17:53
The boy in the striped pyjamas?
I think thats a film as well:pi:

Not only is it a film, it's a great film that made me cry when we watched it at school :D:o

I prefer the book though :p

woody543
14-01-10, 17:54
Thanks for all the help everyone

Why does your teacher do such a course if she doesn't know **** about movies ?

Its not a course based around movies into books, it's just a piece of coursework worth 10- 15% of my overall grade, also this aspect of the course, and this piece in particular was only introduced last year, so we are the second set of people to do it.

That's the problem, I know this or that book/movie couple probably suitable for this coursework, but you probably don't know them ?

for example :
movie - Blade Runner / Book : Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep (Philip K. Dick)

George Orwell's 1984 - you have at least 2 movies made from that and maybe you read that one already at school ?
There is lots of documentation about this book and the movies available.

The Blade runner one does sound good, as does 1984, but like you said I don't have time to read so many books, I have a week to decide what I'm going to be doing, and it's trying to make a decision on something I may not have read.

The Shining would be good because the film was slightly different from the book and you might talk about that :) (if that's the purpose) [quote]

Oh yes, its recomended to choose things that are different, in order to compare, for example movies produced at different time, will be aimed at a different audience to who the book was aimed at.

[quote]

How about Dracula? I liked the book too and the English level might be better than S. King's books. And the Coppola's film was good too :)

Possible, my only issue is that somebody did that last year and got full marks and so I may be seen as trying to copy..:S

ShadyCroft
14-01-10, 17:56
Is there some sort of preference ?

1984 is a very good book indeed but may look political (and it is sort of political with political elements) and may thus be boring for some students.

woody543
14-01-10, 18:03
Is there some sort of preference ?

1984 is a very good book indeed but may look political (and it is sort of political with political elements) and may thus be boring for some students.

It's hard to get a balance, because obviously I want something I enjoy, because then statistically I will get a better grade, but then I need something good in an english sense aswell, because otherwise I will not get any marks.

Laralissa
14-01-10, 18:03
Wuthering Heights.

Both the book and film are awesome - plus the book meets your requirements of being decent literature. And when I say film I mean the Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche version:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104181/

:)

jackles
14-01-10, 18:11
There are loads of classics such as Jane Austen's several novels....

I also considered suggesting Frankenstein and the totally different direction different versions of films take on that.

But personally I think I would go for LA. Confidential based on the book of the same name by James Ellroy. A real gritty book and a fabulous film.

Or Rosemarys baby (book by Ira Levine) ..that was done totally accurately to the novel.

Dennis's Mom
14-01-10, 18:41
someone else knows this one too :D :tmb:

I didn't watch the movie cause I heard it wasn't as good as the book, and the book was very touching for me and was simply amazing, I didn't want to ruin it if the movie wasn't as good.

Did you read 1000 Splendid Suns? I liked that one even better.

Here's a "literary novel": Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Despite the fact he's an "old" author, I find Thomas Hardy extremely readable. His books are also not that long. The movie of the book "Tess" has a current events tie in that it was directed was Roman Polanski. I never saw the movie, so I can't vouch for it, but the buzz at the time was that it was good.

remote91
14-01-10, 18:44
Oscar Wilde and The Picture of Dorian Gray?

Punaxe
14-01-10, 18:55
Perhaps some Inspector Morse, though I could imagine no detective would be considered of high enough a standard...

Dennis's Mom
14-01-10, 19:04
Perhaps some Inspector Morse, though I could imagine no detective would be considered of high enough a standard...

Well, Stephen King won the National Book Foundation's Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters and he wasn't good enough. :rolleyes:

Catapharact
14-01-10, 19:12
Oscar Wilde and The Picture of Dorian Gray?

A very good book.

Now if you like psyc. thrillers, might I suggest Silence of the Lambs? The entire Hannibal Lecter series is quite the read. Minority report is also another good Sci-Fi thriller.

If you want to do your report on a drama oriented genre, might I suggest the House of Sand and Fog? Good movie BTW.

dirrtytomboi
14-01-10, 19:14
how about the tv show dexter and the book darkly dreaming dexter:) both are amazing

TombRaiderLover
14-01-10, 20:00
Your teacher thinks Kubrick isn't well-known enough? And that a seven-year-old could read King's work? Give me a moment alone with them and I'll sort them out. :mis:

I liked somebody's suggestion of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Blade Runner. The events in the film version are very different, yet works as a brilliant companion piece to the novel because it deals with the same issues. Philip K Dick said that when he saw footage of the film, it was exactly as he saw futuristic Los Angeles while writing the book.

woody543
14-01-10, 20:07
Your teacher thinks Kubrick isn't well-known enough? And that a seven-year-old could read King's work? Give me a moment alone with them and I'll sort them out. :mis:

I liked somebody's suggestion of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Blade Runner. The events in the film version are very different, yet works as a brilliant companion piece to the novel because it deals with the same issues. Philip K Dick said that when he saw footage of the film, it was exactly as he saw futuristic Los Angeles while writing the book.

Well she didn't know it was Kubrick, she basically didn't know who didn't and so proclaimed that the director obviously wasn't famous enough.

I'll consider Blade runner :)

ShadyCroft
14-01-10, 20:15
Did you read 1000 Splendid Suns? I liked that one even better.

Yes, I read that too. Its hard to say if I liked it better than Kite Runner or not. It is a bit different in that it concentrated more on the hardships faced in Afghanistan rather concentrating on individuals only.
In The Kite Runner, the kid leaves with his dad to the US around the middle and only around the end he goes back to Kabul. It was more about the characters and the story.
In 1000 Splendid Suns you see the 2 women but you all see a lot of the things they go through like their abusing husband, the Taliban,etc

hmmm...yeah, I really loved them both equally. :)

scion05
14-01-10, 22:28
I was gonna say that! :eek:

Your teacher thinks Stanley Kubrick is not well-known enough? Your teacher is an idiot and you may as well write an analysis of the Mr Men for all she knows.

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/41HKMJ3ER7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Pfft.

aktrekker
15-01-10, 00:15
Farenheit 451.

Legend 4ever
15-01-10, 01:04
Stephen King is easy to read? One of the most boring and complex writers that ever existed. It's easier to read Shakespeare and Sophocles than Stephen King.

Jedd Fletcher
15-01-10, 06:46
Jurassic Park? It was a good book-to-film adaptation despite the many changes. You could also talk about the technological advances that helped to bring the dinosaurs to life.

Also, Forrest Gump by Winston Groom, which of course was adapted into the Tom Hanks film. Slumdog Millionaire or Minority Report too. All the films I've mentioned apparently differ greatly from the books, so there should be lots of room for analysis and comparison.

ShadyCroft
15-01-10, 09:15
^ Oh yeah, I recently found out that Slumdog Millionaire is origianlly a novel by the name "Q & A"

tonyme
15-01-10, 09:27
I suggest you stick with The Shining for the following reasons:

1- You loved the book
2- Kubrick is very very well-known
3- I don't get why she said it's an easy book to read. It's really complex and boring at times, scary and does contain lots of adult themes and I just don't agree with what she said about it, at all...
4- Kubrick's 1980 adaptation is really really different from the book so you can compare that
5- Stephen King didn't like Kubrick's adaptation, he thought it was too different from the purpose of his book, and so he created his own mini-TV series adaptation in 1997. I watched both of those adaptations and I gotta say King's is much, much better than Kubrick's. So you got a 3rd thing to compare as well.
6- If you decide to stick with it, I already made a project about the book and both movies 3 years ago for a school project but it's French, but I can easily translate it to you. It's a PowerPoint presentation, with pictures and everything, info about King, Kubrick, the characters, a comparison between the book and the movies, between the 2 movies, etc.

touchthesky
15-01-10, 09:58
Do Twilight-Seriously..I could help you times 1000 ;)

Your teacher is odd though, Stephen King is a complex writer. If there was a 7 year old who could successfully read and udnerstand one of his books I'd like to meet them.

Eleana
15-01-10, 11:54
It may seem a little childish, but maybe Alice in Wonderland? The two stories (Wonderland/Through the looking glass) are timeless, and with the Disney adaptation and the Tim Burton release coming soon you might find lots to write about. :)

[Edit]

I'd personally go with Silence of the Lambs as Catapharact suggested. :)

A very good book.

Now if you like psyc. thrillers, might I suggest Silence of the Lambs? The entire Hannibal Lecter series is quite the read. Minority report is also another good Sci-Fi thriller.

If you want to do your report on a drama oriented genre, might I suggest the House of Sand and Fog? Good movie BTW.

woody543
15-01-10, 17:21
Do Twilight-Seriously..I could help you times 1000 ;)

Your teacher is odd though, Stephen King is a complex writer. If there was a 7 year old who could successfully read and udnerstand one of his books I'd like to meet them.

I would sooner eat my own intestines, throw them up and drown in my own sick, before being revived and chopped up into small pieces :) So no thankyou :)

I will probably do the shining then.

Today, she said the novel has to have intellectual depth

tonyme
15-01-10, 17:23
I will probably do the shining then.

Today, she said the novel has to have intellectual depth

Good call. If you need any help just holler

Dennis's Mom
16-01-10, 15:11
Hate to bump this, but last night in bed I realized we missed the Greatest Book and Movie Combo of All-Time:

To Kill A Mockingbird

Necromanser
16-01-10, 15:36
Dune perhaps?The Shawshank Redemption might also be a good choice.

Dennis's Mom
16-01-10, 16:14
Dune perhaps?The Shawshank Redemption might also be a good choice.

*winces* Dune was such a horrible movie though. The mini-series was better.

snork
20-01-10, 16:03
So, what did you gor for now ?

Dune was such a horrible movie though
I think the only time I was let down by a movie with William Hurt. :-|

disneyprincess20
20-01-10, 16:07
One I would suggest you don't do is the French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles. The book is awful and the film is way off - it's a film about people making a film about the book, as well as being a film of the book itself.

TR93
20-01-10, 16:37
A very good book.

Im reading that at the moment and I have to say I agree....fantastic book and movie the rest of the series is pretty good as well imo...:) Minority Report is also good:)

Dennis's Mom
20-01-10, 22:35
So, what did you gor for now ?

I think the only time I was let down by a movie with William Hurt. :-|

Bill Hurt was in the miniseries, not the movie. The movie is early eighties and atrocious. I knew it was going to suck when they passed out a printed glossary when I went to see it. I wish I'd saved it. Probably be worth something now. Amusement, at least.

TombRaiderLover
20-01-10, 22:41
I've never seen the 1984 version of Dune, but as someone who loves David Lynch (it's his birthday today, by the way) I'll have to watch it eventually. I'd love to read the book aswell. It's often touted as the best science-fiction novel written. I've read the synopsis, and it sounds fascinating. :)

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 13:04
I read Dune in high school and it rocked my world. It is an amazing creation.

I was quite upset when Herbert died as the Dune novels had finally gotten interesting again.