PDA

View Full Version : Help with making music covers.

~*~Chloe~*~
17-01-10, 13:42
tRrCYAIw2YE

So I've never covered a song and uploaded to Youtube. I want to be able to do what this talented girl has done ^. Played over a backing track and while videoing herself but the video still sounds great. So apart from a guitar and webcam obviously what would I need?

lara c. fan
17-01-10, 13:49
tRrCYAIw2YE

So I've never covered a song and uploaded to Youtube. I want to be able to do what this talented girl has done ^. Played over a backing track and while videoing herself but the video still sounds great. So apart from a guitar and webcam obviously what would I need?
The stuff that she has there...

Seriously though, I think you can probably find guitar tabs for that song, and just copy them over the original song (what I'm guessing she's done.)

~*~Chloe~*~
17-01-10, 13:55
Yeah but I mean what kind of microphone and stuff will I need to record over the backing track or whatever.

lara c. fan
17-01-10, 13:56
Yeah but I mean what kind of microphone and stuff will I need to record over the backing track or whatever.

Hmm.....
USB one might do, I'm not sure.

tampi
17-01-10, 14:02
You have talent and a very nice look. Courage, come on! :cool:

nick styger
17-01-10, 14:14

You can record the backing track onto music recording software.... then record your guitar playing over that...on another audio track. (You will need a microphone for the amplifier....then mix the music tracks together...yours and theirs........play it back and video yourself miming the playing. Then put your prerecorded music on the video track. That's for the best quality.
If this doesn't make sense I'll try to simplify. Not absolutely sure what you want to do. Can you explain more?

~*~Chloe~*~
17-01-10, 14:22
I want to do EXACTLY what that girl has done on the video. :p

nick styger
17-01-10, 14:37
she must be listening to some sort of guide track ( on earphones? ) to get her timing in sync with the Backing track. I'll go and google it and see how.

EDIT Do you have the Backing track? Does it have the guitar that you are replacing on stereo left and the rest on the right track or vice versa?

~*~Chloe~*~
17-01-10, 14:44
I dont actually have my guitar yet I'm waiting for it in the post. But I can easily download a backing track.

tombraiderluka
17-01-10, 14:46
I dont actually have my guitar yet I'm waiting for it in the post. But I can easily download a backing track.
Yay :jmp: Finally!

~*~Chloe~*~
17-01-10, 14:59
Yay :jmp: Finally!

Lol what do you mean?

tombraiderluka
17-01-10, 15:08
Lol what do you mean?
Well you are getting your guitar :p

Eleana
17-01-10, 15:11
I'm not sure exactly how the girl in the video has gone about it, but you could get a similar effect, as nick styger suggested, by listening to the original track through earphones and playing along with the song.

Then take your webcam recording, put it in the software you use for creating videos (When I do things like this I just use Windows Movie Maker), and put the original song in the background, but turning it down a notch.

So all you'll need is the webcam, guitar and guitar amp.

Good luck. :hug:

scion05
17-01-10, 15:12
I'd say she's recorded the song using a regular microphone through audacity, playing along with the song, then played it back and mimed the guitar to it... never know though :p

nick styger
17-01-10, 16:15
Personally I think she's playing the backing on a karaoke type system and listening to a guide track on an earphone with a count-in to help.

miss.haggard
17-01-10, 17:14
Shes practiced. Alot. You cant just pick up a song like that in a week. But as far as the technical part of this goes I say she is using a karaoke type system like stated above, and using a video camera (not a webcam and not a photo camera - crappy audio quality) to tape herself. With most cameras you can buy (or they come with) a microphone you can attach for better audio.

Practice, record, get it on the computer, find your backing track (you may even search the interwebs to find something helpful) and put it together in something like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie if you are using a Mac. If you need help with the video editing part, feel free to PM me and I will help.

spikejones
15-02-10, 07:02
yeah, it sounds like you're just now picking the guitar up - so its gonna take some practice to be able to properly cover a song. some people can do covers by ear, having played for a long time and just know how to replicate the notes - while others that are just beginning or else don't have as keen an ear for music will use sheet music in order to play the cover. There's lots of sites online, and magazines that have the sheet music in various forms. Probably the easier form of sheet music for a beginning guitarist would be like this:

e|----------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------2------------|
A|----------3--1----------3---------------|
E|---3--2----------3--2-------------------|

where each line represents a string, the bottom line is the "first string" (low E, top string when looking down while holding the guitar in play position) Numbers represent which fret you hold on that respective string. The above is obviously a simple riff with no actual chords being played.

also worth mention is that not all songs are played on your standard tune setup, and may be tuned a step or two down (slipknot does this a lot). Be sure you know how to tune your guitar for the song you want to cover.

so, once you get the playing aspect taken care of, then you can look at your video aspect. If you're good at playing in time with the song, you wont need to listen to the original while playing, though it can help if you're to lay the original audio track over top of your playing (or vice versa) later on during video editing. If you've got an electric guitar you should be able to record your audio straight into the computer using software like audacity (for best quality) rather than relying on video/web cam audio quality. Depending on your PC, you should be able to simultaneously record your guitars audio with audacity or similar software while recording your video with a camera. You'll have to do a bit of editing though to get things properly synced though.

Dina_Croft
15-02-10, 12:07
e|----------------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------------|
G|----------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------2------------|
A|----------3--1----------3---------------|
E|---3--2----------3--2-------------------|

Ugh I hate reading them like this.You can't even see how the rythym goes and you get confused.The best way is Guitar Pro.That's how I learn songs and It's way more helpfull than the simple Tabs.

spikejones
15-02-10, 22:45
Just looked that up to make sure I knew what you were talking about:

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/imgv5/produit/scr-principal.gif

If you can read actual sheet music and know how to make the notes/chords/etc by seeing them then that is of course the best way. Some people probably find it easier to read the tab format than the musical notes. Whatever works best for you though really. I'm inclined to say though that if you can read traditional sheet music then you're playing ability will be more versatile and you can play anything on guitar (ie saxaphone piece ;) )