PDA

View Full Version : typ'ohs

elizard_9594
17-01-10, 20:02
i enjoy finding typos in books that i read, and was wondering if any of you guys share my hobby. ive found:
several throughout the harry potter series
and just today i found one in Wizard's First Rule (that the show legend of the seeker is based on) on page 128, richard says "how can you saw that we are alike?" it is meant to be say

have any of you had any nifty finds?

msalpha2omega
17-01-10, 20:04
LOL, I do that too, but in the new's titles!!! :D It's hilarious when that happens! Can't wait to see what people find!!!!

tombraiderluka
17-01-10, 20:13
I had loads of typos, not sure if they are suitable :p

viper456
17-01-10, 20:15
I like finding tyops in official books/mags/articels etc. Don't tend two find many these days but I keep my eyes open for them. I have a gift for findnig them you see!

aktrekker
17-01-10, 20:27
i enjoy finding typos in books that i read, and was wondering if any of you guys share my hobby. ive fiund:

I also enjoy finding typos :p

Love2Raid
17-01-10, 20:27
I like finding tyops in official books/mags/articels etc. Don't tend two find many these days but I keep my eyes open for them. I have a gift for findnig them you see!
And you tend to make them too, by the look of it!
There, you got what you wanted. ;)

viper456
17-01-10, 20:28
And you tend to make them too, by the look of it!
There, you got what you wanted. ;)

THAKN YUO! :hug:

xXhayleyroxXx
17-01-10, 20:52
stephanie meyer has a lot of typo's - in the twilight series - i remember spotting an annoying one but iv forgotton :(

Rai
17-01-10, 21:00
I quite like spotting typos in books too. And in other places. It may not be a typo, but in Harry Potter, I've seen Blonde being spelt the American way, Blond. I know it shouldn't matter, but it does. I can't help it, but typos bug me.

There appears to be some typos in this thread :whi: Do people not use spell checkers? (Yes, I know some are deliberate) :p

Capt. Murphy
18-01-10, 04:18
Since I don't read a lot of books or newspapers - most of my reading is done in forums. Lots of times people will misspell words like Know/Now, New/knew, to/too, .... Stuff like that. I'm too tired to think right now. But if I think of any new ones I'll let you all know. :)

:p

EmeraldFields
18-01-10, 04:40

LMFAO! :vlol:

Tommy123
18-01-10, 04:51
stephanie meyer has a lot of typo's - in the twilight series - i remember spotting an annoying one but iv forgotton :(

i know right! i remember finding like atleast one every other page.

scoopy_loopy
18-01-10, 05:18
I quite like spotting typos in books too. And in other places. It may not be a typo, but in Harry Potter, I've seen Blonde being spelt the American way, Blond. I know it shouldn't matter, but it does. I can't help it, but typos bug me.

There appears to be some typos in this thread :whi: Do people not use spell checkers? (Yes, I know some are deliberate) :p

That annoys me too! Damn "American English" *shakes fist*

T-Sex
18-01-10, 07:01
When i was at school i used to intensely read any exam paper we got in the hopes of finding a typo or grammatical error so i could point it out and make the test look stupid :p

Jack Croft
18-01-10, 07:52

LOL :vlol:

Big Matt
18-01-10, 08:06
The local rag (some have the nerve to call it a newspaper) not only has regularly occurring typos, but is also riddled with misspelled words, misused words, improperly and/or awkwardly worded sentences, and misinformation that they are constantly having to print retractions for.

It's not exactly a typo but a serious printing error anyway -- my paperback copy of John Steakley's Armor has one page that ends mid-sentence and never finishes it. The next page starts with a whole new sentence. My assumption is that there is an entire page missing or maybe a number of them.

This is definitely an issue that dismays and aggravates me. Not so long ago typos, bad grammar, and misspelled words were almost nonexistent in published works. Such a thing was considered a disgrace and was absolutely forbidden in the publishing industry. Anymore, no one seems to care. Now days it's almost impossible to pick up anything out of the book store that isn't marred by substandard quality from the publishers. It disgusts, angers, and saddens me. I see it as a mark of societal decline.

Trigger_happy
18-01-10, 10:29
This is definitely an issue that dismays and aggravates me. Not so long ago typos, bad grammar, and misspelled words were almost nonexistent in published works. Such a thing was considered a disgrace and was absolutely forbidden in the publishing industry. Anymore, no one seems to care. Now days it's almost impossible to pick up anything out of the book store that isn't marred by substandard quality from the publishers. It disgusts, angers, and saddens me. I see it as a mark of societal decline.

Well, the "Gnaurdian" seems to be getting better. They used to have millions of typos like everyday. They even spelt the name of their own paper wrong.

Your_Envy*
18-01-10, 11:04
Sure, let me give you one very hilarious example. :rolleyes:

In New Moon, written by Stephanie Meyer, the Slovene translation.. I was reading that in the airport and I laughed like some idiot. I even have a picture. :D

The original text goes like that:

I knew the flight from Rome to Atlanta would be another matter entirely, so I asked the flight attendant if she could bring me a Coke.
"Bella," Edward said disapprovingly. He knew my low tolerance for caffeine.

The Slovene text, translated back into English, goes like that:
I knew the flight from Rome to Atlanta would be another matter entirely, so I asked the flight attendant if she could bring me a Coke.
"Bella," Edward said disapprovingly. He knew my low tolerance for cocaine.

Bella is on drugs! :yik:

Here's the picture:
http://www.shrani.si/f/32/m9/4dQn19jW/561312014408820991410873.jpg

(First word in red is Coke, second is cocaine). :rolleyes:

scoopy_loopy
18-01-10, 11:18
^ :vlol:

(Although, cocaine was originally in "Coke" back-in-the-day :mis:)

Jedd Fletcher
18-01-10, 12:49
I have one better: one entire page was blank in my poetry anthology "A Book of Luminous Things" edited by Czeslaw Milosz.

Crisl
18-01-10, 13:04
Ha, you all like to find typos in books? I hate it! :hea: Everytime I find some typo, I'm like "OMG, has no one read the book before it went to stores?" :)
Especially one publishing house that publishes my favorite author has books with lots of typos :rolleyes:

Alive_and_Funky
18-01-10, 16:01
I hate typos, although if there are a lot of pages and words in a certain magazine then I can let them slide as long as there's not too many, seeing as they have their deadlines.
I think it's terrible to find typing errors in books though. Like other people in this thread, I have found quite a lot in the Twilight novels. In addition, from my experience it's not uncommon to find them in autobiographies.

Sure, let me give you one very hilarious example. :rolleyes:

In New Moon, written by Stephanie Meyer, the Slovene translation.. I was reading that in the airport and I laughed like some idiot. I even have a picture. :D

The original text goes like that:

"Bella," Edward said disapprovingly. He knew my low tolerance for caffeine.

The Slovene text, translated back into English, goes like that:
"Bella," Edward said disapprovingly. He knew my low tolerance for cocaine.

Bella is on drugs! :yik:
That's brightened up my day! :D :vlol:

lara c. fan
18-01-10, 16:26
That's brightened up my day! :D :vlol:

Mine too! :vlol:

Aranara
18-01-10, 16:29
^
Twilight has a lot of mistakes. Even in the Romanian version...I saw once in a bookstore the English version and I laughed my ass off:
1. handsome - handsomer: Is this a word??
2. "We went back the way we come..." Came not come you stupid people :vlol:

Saphyre
18-01-10, 16:42
The most annoying one i've found is not actually in a book, but a Video Game.

In FFVII, Cloud and Aeris can find a sick guy in the slums, when you talk to him Aeris remarks "This guy are sick!" ... should be: "This guy is sick!" I bet there are many others in FFVII too.

lara c. fan
18-01-10, 16:47
The most annoying one i've found is not actually in a book, but a Video Game.

In FFVII, Cloud and Aeris can find a sick guy in the slums, when you talk to him Aeris remarks "This guy are sick!" ... should be: "This guy is sick!" I bet there are many others in FFVII too.

O-o
I never saw this?
Maybe they fixed it in the PSN version...