PDA

View Full Version : Cadbury to be brought by Kraft

Jack Croft
19-01-10, 09:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8467007.stm

Cadbury is to be taken over by the US food company Kraft after its board approved a new increased bid.

The Cadbury board will advise its shareholders to accept a new offer of 840 pence a share - valuing the company at £11.5bn ($18.9bn).

So much for "We're not going to be brought out".

Wonder what this will hold for the job force etc?

Another Lara
19-01-10, 09:16
I think this is disgusting of Cadbury!

First they were all appealing to the public saying "Let's keep this company British!", but as soon as the money goes up, they say "Oh alright then"

Pathetic if you ask me! :hea:

jaywalker
19-01-10, 09:19
Have been to Bournville and it IS Willy Wonka but in Birmingham.. the smells all as you expect.. Was LITERALLY a kid in a candy shop when was there

They CLAIM that initially no jobs are under threat as they need to keep the products coming etc, however have been there before personally and heard those words before and now work for a company with a LOT less of my friends around me..

sighs..

Jack Croft
19-01-10, 09:21
And 'again' its another British company being controlled and brought out by a foreign company, does this country not want anything left British anymore?

Aranara
19-01-10, 09:24
I think this is disgusting of Cadbury!

First they were all appealing to the public saying "Let's keep this company British!", but as soon as the money goes up, they say "Oh alright then"

Pathetic if you ask me! :hea:

This :)

British stuff is British stuff. American stuff is American stuff.
NOT mixing.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 09:31
urgh - cadbury was BRITISH

it deserves to STAY british

im so annoyed! Yes i love milka chocolate - but they're too different chocolate companies and they ought to stay that

Spong
19-01-10, 09:35
Kraft sucks. Keep Cadbury British. I'm both stunned and sickened that the bigwigs at Cadbury have performed such a 180 just because Kraft offered more money. I couldn't care less about the business side of it, I don't want a load of cheese-obsessed Americans taking over something that's essentially a British institution.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 09:39
^^^ urghhh i know, the man who creating cadbury will be turning in his grave in shame!

Orionvalentine
19-01-10, 09:57
I don't wanna visit Kraft World...god! Stupid opportunistic buttholes...

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 09:59
I don't wanna visit Kraft World...god! Stupid opportunistic buttholes...

i never got to visit cadbury world :(

scoopy_loopy
19-01-10, 10:00
I think we actually had a discussion about this before, I do remember Haley and I getting very fired up over our fave Brit chocolate!

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 10:01
I think we actually had a discussion about this before, I do remember Haley and I getting very fired up over our fave Brit chocolate!

we did indeed! gawd im so annoyed at this :p

disneyprincess20
19-01-10, 10:29
It's pretty upsetting, particularly as Kraft were originally talking about breaking up the Cadbury brand altogether, but apparently that idea went out the window. I thought the Hershey bid was a better idea actually, they have some respect for the Cadubry brand and what it means here in the UK. I wish it could stay as a British brand, but obviously the deed has been done.

Croft_Original
19-01-10, 10:51
Rowntrees went years ago and now Cadburys:mad: I've been to Cadbury World:tmb: but I don't think I'd want to go again now:(
Anyway, Kraft already own Jacobs and Suchard I would've thought that was enough chocolate for most people.

Croft.

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 12:17
There was a therad about this before. As far as I know it is pretty much guaranteed that everything will stay the same.

The only newsworthy thing here is that the longest running UK independent company is no longer independent. Or at least, I think that is the case.

Encore
19-01-10, 13:34
I hope that it doesn't affect people's jobs.. and also that it doesn't ruin the quality of the chocolates.

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 13:35
I thought there'd be a few angry nationalists here. I find it funny how most people here are angry about this takeover bid simply because Cadbury's "wont be British anymore" which to be honest is a pathetic reason. However, little has been mentioned over the apparent job losses.

This move doesn't bother me as long as we still get the same chocolate and none of the recipes change.

I mean, who really cares if Cadbury are gonna be owned by an American company? As long as things stay the same then I don't see what the problem is here. I think a lot of the opposition towards this has xenophobic roots.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 13:37
I thought there'd be a few angry nationalists here. I find it funny how most people here are angry about this takeover bid simply because Cadbury's "wont be British anymore" which to be honest is a pathetic reason. However, little has been mentioned over the apparent job losses.

This move doesn't bother me as long as we still get the same chocolate and none of the recipes change.

It's always been British, and always should be.

Catracoth
19-01-10, 13:39
Ew. So that means they're going to start calling them Kraft Crème Eggs? That doesn't sound appetising at all. It makes me think the crème will be Kraft cheese or something.

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 13:39
It's always been British, and always should be.You see, that's a silly reason. Why should it always be British? Cadbury are a public limited company. They are not state owned.

da tomb raider!
19-01-10, 13:40
It was inevitable. Offer any company enough money and chances are they'll give in and take it. That seems to be what happened here. In any case, the only thing I'd worry about is the job losses - worrying about a company's nationality isn't really worth it, especially when you consider that the majority of shareholders of Cadbury's aren't likely to be British.

And as for the chocolate, I'm more of a Kinder Surprise guy, so...

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 13:41
It was inevitable. Offer any company enough money and chances are they'll give in and take it. That seems to be what happened here. In any case, the only thing I'd worry about is the job losses - worrying about a company's nationality isn't really worth it, especially when you consider that the majority of shareholders of Cadbury's aren't likely to be British.Exactly. It's the jobs people should be worried about, not the fact that Cadbury's "wont be British".

Eddie Haskell
19-01-10, 13:42
Where's my worlds smallest violin when I need it... :)

Catracoth
19-01-10, 13:43
It's always been British, and always should be.

I agree. Keep the diversity alive! At the rate this is going, all companies are going to be owned/a part of American companies. I appreciate companies from other cultures. I'm sick of everything being American. We need more diversity in my area, and I'm not talking Portuguese, Chinese, or Cape Verdean. You'd think the four were the only cultures in the world if you lived in my area. I know those four were the main cultures in the area, but please, let's get some British, Irish, and other Asian cultures in here.

LightningRider
19-01-10, 13:46
Where's my worlds smallest violin when I need it... :)

:vlol:

Oh, um, yeah, I do think Companies should at least have some of the culture, and the little people count.

Is why I buy most of my clothing at Philippines Clothing stores :cool:

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 13:47
Ew. So that means they're going to start calling them Kraft Crème Eggs? That doesn't sound appetising at all. It makes me think the crème will be Kraft cheese or something.

haha eeeew :p

You see, that's a silly reason. Why should it always be British? Cadbury are a public limited company. They are not state owned.

i dont think its a silly reason. Neither does everyone else outraged.

I agree. Keep the diversity alive! At the rate this is going, all companies are going to be owned/a part of American companies. I appreciate companies from other cultures. I'm sick of everything being American. We need more diversity in my area, and I'm not talking Portuguese, Chinese, or Cape Verdean. You'd think the four were the only cultures in the world if you lived in my area. I know those four were the main cultures in the area, but please, let's get some British, Irish, and other Asian cultures in here.

I know its shocking :( I like the fact Britain and America are similar but different if you get me. We have things.... original to our countries. When i think America, i think large meals, steak houses and candy. When I think Britain i think Cadburys, fish and chips and cups of tea.

:p

Phlip
19-01-10, 13:49
As long as Galaxy still exist I'm not interested in Cadbury's dull chuklit.

Catracoth
19-01-10, 13:50
I know its shocking :( I like the fact Britain and America are similar but different if you get me. We have things.... original to our countries. When i think America, i think large meals, steak houses and candy. When I think Britain i think Cadburys, fish and chips and cups of tea.

I know what you mean, and I agree. And needless to say, I prefer Cadbury, fish and chips, and tea over steak houses and candy any day. I swear, I should have been born and raised in England.

Rai
19-01-10, 13:52
So instead of Cadbury's Flake, we're gonna have Kraft Flake? :( Or maybe Flake won't be called that anymore. I'm still getting used to Snickers being called Marathon. :vlol:

I dunno much about business takeovers, I just hope there won't be too much change in my favorite chocolates.

Catracoth
19-01-10, 13:55
I hope no changes are made to the chocolates either. Next think you know, they make Chocolate Cheese.

If you like chocolate with cheese underneath,
If you like caramel sticking to your teeth
If you like the dentist drilling cavities,
Then you'll really love chocolate cheese!

Choco-chocolate cheese, yeah!

I watched Rugrats a lot back in the day.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 13:55
I know what you mean, and I agree. And needless to say, I prefer Cadbury, fish and chips, and tea over steak houses and candy any day. I swear, I should have been born and raised in England.

haha you should have been an english person :p

So instead of Cadbury's Flake, we're gonna have Kraft Flake? :( Or maybe Flake won't be called that anymore. I'm still getting used to Sneakers being called Marathon. :vlol:

I dunno much about business takeovers, I just hope there won't be too much change in my favorite chocolates.

i still call them snickers!

i love the cadbury logo :(

Eddie Haskell
19-01-10, 14:04
I say they change all the names. Why not? Cadbury Cream Eggs to Krafts Yankee Doodle Eggs (and by the way color them red, white and blue). Cadbury Dairy Milk Double Choc to Uncle Sam's Milky Delight. :)

And I'd place a giant statue of Mr. Kraft holding an American flag outside of the headquarters in Uxbridge. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 14:05
^^ what an utter nightmare :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
19-01-10, 14:22
My parents own stock in Cadbury :tmb:

Spong
19-01-10, 14:25
I'm still getting used to Sneakers being called Marathon.

Sneakers? :vlol:
And shouldn't it be the other way around anyway (Marathon being called Snickers)?

Cadbury Cream Eggs to Krafts Yankee Doodle Eggs (and by the way color them red, white and blue). Cadbury Dairy Milk Double Choc to Uncle Sam's Milky Delight. :)

Not funny :(

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 14:29
i dont think its a silly reason. Neither does everyone else outraged.Why?

As long as Galaxy still exist I'm not interested in Cadbury's dull chuklit.Galaxy are owned by Mars. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 14:34
Why?

Galaxy are owned by Mars. :p

iv already explained why

Jack Croft
19-01-10, 14:34
I doubt the Cadburys brand will be overtaken by Kraft its too strong.

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 14:35
I doubt the Cadburys brand will be overtaken by Kraft its too strong.Why are people moaning about this then?

iv already explained whyNo, all you said was "it should stay British". I'm asking why.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 14:37
Why are people moaning about this then?

No, all you said was "it should stay British". I'm asking why.

well why shouldnt it stay british?

Agent 47
19-01-10, 14:41
My first post of 2010 and it's not good..

MT, you clearly have no respect for your own culture or national heritage :mad:

Cadbury have been around for over 100 years and in all that time remained British. Like others have said and i fully agree, some things should simply remain national to it's country of origins. It is rather sad that money talks, but the simple truth is the US can't take no for an answer and bit by bit the UK will be US owned. They don't care about UK jobs,just getting their grubby little mits on successful UK businesses.

I would put this to you. How would the US feel if Ford for example became foreign owned? How'd the Germans feel if BMW or Mercedes became foreign owned? i'll tell you, i doubt they'd be pleased. Something's simply shouldn't be sold. It's national pride ;)

So, given the loss of Cadbury i'd say the only non foreign owned UK companies are the BBC and Rolls-Royce engines, just goes to show how much we've lost in the last 100 years :( meh!

*the views expressed above are solely my own and i am not in favour of ANY successful UK company being bought by foreigners regardless of nation* :D

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 14:43
well why shouldnt it stay british?They're a public limited company. The owners and the shareholders can do what they like. Just because they're an old company doesn't mean they "should be British". Quite frankly I don't think it matters whether they're British or not, as long as the service they offer is the same then it doesn't matter.

Also, the video on the news article is interesting. The woman in it admittedly gives good business reasons why she's opposed to the takeover and not just some xenophobic tripe.

@Agent 47: This has nothing to do with culture.

Also, you're overreacting. This isn't the US government buying Cadbury, it's an American company. Stop referring to Kraft and the entire country as if they're the same thing. We're not going to be owned by the US or any other country. In fact the only thing I'd worry about is the growing powers of the EU, but that's for another topic.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 14:44
My first post of 2010 and it's not good..

MT, you clearly have no respect for your own culture or national heritage :mad:

Cadbury have been around for over 100 years and in all that time remained British. Like others have said and i fully agree, some things should simply remain national to it's country of origins. It is rather sad that money talks, but the simple truth is the US can't take no for an answer and bit by bit the UK will be US owned. They don't care about UK jobs,just getting their grubby little mits on successful UK businesses.

I would put this to you. How would the US feel if Ford for example became foreign owned? How'd the Germans feel if BMW or Mercedes became foreign owned? i'll tell you, i doubt they'd be pleased. Something's simply shouldn't be sold. It's national pride ;)

So, given the loss of Cadbury i'd say the only non foreign owned UK companies are the BBC and Rolls-Royce engines, just goes to show how much we've lost in the last 100 years :( meh!

*the views expressed above are solely my own and i am not in favour of ANY successful UK company being bought by foreigners regardless of nation* :D

theres your answer mad tony, i feel exactly the same way Agent 47!

Eddie Haskell
19-01-10, 14:44
well why shouldnt it stay british?

Make an offer higher than Kraft, then buy it. ;)

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 14:45
So nobody here is opposed to it because of business reasons then? It's all about nationalism? Watch the video on the BBC article. Now that's why you should oppose it.

Agent 47
19-01-10, 14:50
So nobody here is opposed to it because of business reasons then? It's all about nationalism?

And what's wrong with nationalism? maybe some folks are proud of their countries history and heritage to some degree.

Ok here's a business reason for you. It was successful and in profit. Cadbury were not struggling or posting losses. In short the company did not need to be sold.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 14:52
And what's wrong with nationalism? maybe some folks are proud of their countries history and heritage to some degree.

Ok here's a business reason for you. It was successful and in profit. Cadbury were not struggling or posting losses. In short the company did not need to be sold.

im really proud of my country & heritage. & I'm agreeing with everything you're saying x:hug:

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 14:53

Ok here's a business reason for you. It was successful and in profit. Cadbury were not struggling or posting losses. In short the company did not need to be sold.Nothing wrong with national pride but Cadbury are not a state owned company. Who are we to tell them what to do?

People are all up in arms over something as trivial as this but nobody seems to give a damn about the real threats to our sovereignty like the EU.

Perhaps Kraft can do better? I'm not an expert but I don't know, but apparently they [Kraft] have debt and they cope with it by laying off workers. This is cause for concern.

disneyprincess20
19-01-10, 15:09
Perhaps Kraft can do better? I'm not an expert but I don't know, but apparently they [Kraft] have debt and they cope with it by laying off workers. This is cause for concern.

I thought Cadbury had the debt... I might be wrong though. I know Kraft had to borrow some money to pay for it.

jaywalker
19-01-10, 15:09
Mad Tony - do you actually live in Kent GB or Kent WA? Seriously its not just about british pride BUT also about the fact its 6,000 workers jobs POSSIBLY being moved to a country NOT Britain. I know you probably have all your bills paid for ya mum/dad, but ask them if they'd like their taxes hiked up to cover even MORE job losses..

As Agent 47 said it didn't NEED to be sold it wasn't posting losses, this has been done purely as a make money quick sell out by the shareholders (IF they agree), well i say that, dont forget it was Kraft that made the hostile approach wanting to expand itself (which is fair enough in a free trade world).

Kraft MAY make the product fantastic and sell millions more, but it wont be a British independent brand anymore and thats sad. If they keep all the same workers on and keep Bournville running as is then its NOT as bad, but we dont know this yet..

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 15:11
Mad Tony - do you actually live in Kent GB or Kent WA? Seriously its not just about british pride BUT also about the fact its 6,000 workers jobs POSSIBLY being moved to a country NOT Britain. I know you probably have all your bills paid for ya mum/dad, but ask them if they'd like their taxes hiked up to cover even MORE job losses..

As Agent 47 said it didn't NEED to be sold it wasn't posting losses, this has been done purely as a make money quick sell out by the shareholders (IF they agree), well i say that, dont forget it was Kraft that made the hostile approach wanting to expand itself (which is fair enough in a free trade world).

Kraft MAY make the product fantastic and sell millions more, but it wont be a British independent brand anymore and thats sad. If they keep all the same workers on and keep Bournville running as is then its NOT as bad, but we dont know this yet..

nice one ;) yep i completely agree xxx:hug:

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 15:13

Kraft MAY make the product fantastic and sell millions more, but it wont be a British independent brand anymore and thats sad. If they keep all the same workers on and keep Bournville running as is then its NOT as bad, but we dont know this yet..But is it guaranteed that the 6,000 people employed by Cadbury here will loose their jobs? Right now everything seems to be up in the air so I neither support nor oppose this. I get the feeling a lot of people here think I'm actually for this when I'm neither.

If Kraft made the products even better and everyone got to keep their jobs I don't see how it would be bad at all.

Agent 47
19-01-10, 15:15
Nothing wrong with national pride but Cadbury are not a state owned company. Who are we to tell them what to do?

People are all up in arms over something as trivial as this but nobody seems to give a damn about the real threats to our sovereignty like the EU.

Luckily for us though the BBC and Rolls-Royce engines are state owned (thanks to Thatcher (RR)) :D Oh i fully support your views about the EU and our Sovereignty make no mistake ;)

Thing is MT, i don't trust American companies that "buy British". How may job losses at Jaguar? how many job losses at Aston Martin to name but two? Like i said they couldn't care less about our workers or history as all they want is to buy anything and everything that is successful so they can claim it as their own and it's pathetic!

Take Lotus for example. F1 fans are furious that Proton are using the name Lotus as the new 2010 F1 team. what those idiotic fans fail to realise is that Malaysia OWN Lotus,the company needed to be sold as it was posting massive losses (personally i'm all forthe Lotus name to return as it's an iconic name within Formula One :D yet again i know it's history leading to it's sale and as such have no problem with Proton using the name, just a shame other fans aren't as sensible as me with that opinion.....nw that is blatant nationalism :mad:

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 15:17
Thing is MT, i don't trust American companies that "buy British". How may job losses at Jaguar? how many job losses at Aston Martin to name but two? Like i said they couldn't care less about our workers or history as all they want is to buy anything and everything that is successful so they can claim it as their own and it's pathetic!But just because other American companies have done this in the past doesn't mean Kraft will. I hope Kraft start selling Hershey bars here now.

Agent 47
19-01-10, 15:28
But just because other American companies have done this in the past doesn't mean Kraft will. I hope Kraft start selling Hershey bars here now.

Look what BMW to the Rover workforce for a prime example, nuff said really :( plus upon reading the article it appears Kraft need to borrow 7billlion to buy Cadbury, what does that tell you? it tells me they can't really afford it but are desperate for it anyway..............why? it's not Cadbury that's in trouble that's for sure :)

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 15:32
upon reading the article it appears Kraft need to borrow 7billlion to buy Cadbury, what does that tell you? it tells me they can't really afford it but are desperate for it anyway..............why? it's not Cadbury that's in trouble that's for sure :)Now that's a good reason to be opposed to it. Shame most people here aren't even mentioning all of this.

jaywalker
19-01-10, 15:41
Now that's a good reason to be opposed to it. Shame most people here aren't even mentioning all of this.

Someone did mention that they having to borrow to fulfill the transaction..

No job is `guarenteed` as i said i dont think you are really old enough to fully understand somethings but feel you have to have an opinion on everything. Experience says that takeovers CAN be good at the expense of SOMETHING, nothing comes for free.

I've been working at `Eidos` since 98, and in that time i've survived 3 buyouts/mergers where the Eidos name has survived and this latest time the Eidos name has all but gone to a `brand` rather then the name it was before. So i know a LOT about company buyouts and the wording used for PR to sound `less offensive`.. i HOPE upon HOPE that Kraft realise what they are buying and dont just take the name and lessen the quality to save a buck but trade off the name..

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 15:58
No job is `guarenteed` as i said i dont think you are really old enough to fully understand somethings but feel you have to have an opinion on everything. Experience says that takeovers CAN be good at the expense of SOMETHING, nothing comes for free.Don't patronize and discriminate against me because of my age. If you hadn't noticed I'm pretty much sitting on the fence on this one. People are assuming that just because I'm not frothing at the mouth and complaining of the loss of a "British institution" that I must be for the deal.

Orionvalentine
19-01-10, 16:03
Don't patronize and discriminate against me because of my age. If you hadn't noticed I'm pretty much sitting on the fence on this one.

He's neither patronising or discriminating, Jay obviously knows what he is talking about here as he is probably the only one that has been directly affected by a thing like this.

jaywalker
Don't patronize and discriminate against me because of my age. If you hadn't noticed I'm pretty much sitting on the fence on this one.

Far from it, just a very simple observation based on reading all your posts, you HAVE to have an opinion on absolutely everything which is fine, but you talk as if you are someone who has `been there done that` which you havent.

Dont mean to come across as patronising (we use S in england not Z - oops sorry again) but sometimes your comments are very strange to read from someone who is only 16.. :)

Minty Mouth
I don't understand why they would have to make anyone redundant. Don't they still need the factories and marketing and everything else they had anyway?

Can someone enlighten me as to why there would be lay-offs? I'm not very economically minded :p

digitizedboy
19-01-10, 16:05
I'm just around the corner from the Bournville factory, and after seeing this as a local industry for years and years now, it's quite sad news. :(

disneyprincess20
19-01-10, 16:06
(we use S in england not Z - oops sorry again)

Sorry, the Grammar Nazi in me has to point out that both -ise and -ize are acceptable and correct endings for the word in UK English.

jaywalker
19-01-10, 16:07
I don't understand why they would have to make anyone redundant. Don't they still need the factories and marketing and everything else they had anyway?

Can someone enlighten me as to why there would be lay-offs? I'm not very economically minded :p

UK staff paid £X.. Kraft bought them having to borrow a vast amount of money, they need to get their money back somehow. Now they own the name and recipes for the Cadbury products, but its expensive to make in UK, so move factory to cheaper country (EG India paid £1/8thX.. so short term no affect, long term possible bye bye Bournville..

Sorry, the Grammar Nazi in me has to point out that both -ise and -ize are acceptable and correct endings for the word in UK English.
In gaming english, we have to use US english as the base, which means we have to put Z's into lots of words.. I know technically its `correct` but its still a US based spelling not modern english (i know if i said original english someone would say the english language itself in england has changed so much that it probably had an F in there instead) :) I know it was something to do with the split from the US and English taking from 2 different dictionaries.. and the greeks are involved somewhere too. Off topic - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences#-ise.2C_-ize

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 16:09
UK staff paid £X.. Kraft bought them having to borrow a vast amount of money, they need to get their money back somehow. Now they own the name and recipes for the Cadbury products, but its expensive to make in UK, so move factory to cheaper country (EG India paid £1/8thX.. so short term no affect, long term possible bye bye Bournville..

Thanks for that. It does seem a lot more imposing put into those terms.

I have been to the Cadbury Factory, not sure which one, but it went down hill when they stopped giving out free chocolate bars...

Orionvalentine
19-01-10, 16:10
I have been to the Cadbury Factory, not sure which one, but it went down hill when they stopped giving out free chocolate bars...

LMAO! Don't eat too many chocolates cause you won't be Minty Mouth anymore :p

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:11
He's neither patronising or discriminating, Jay obviously knows what he is talking about here as he is probably the only one that has been directly affected by a thing like this.If saying "I don't think you are old enough to fully understand somethings but feel you have to have an opinion on everything" isn't patronizing I don't know what is.

I wasn't disagreeing with him on anything. All of the technical and business reasons people have given as to why this takeover should not go ahead I have not disagreed with. As I said earlier, I'm not an expert.

Far from it, just a very simple observation based on reading all your posts, you HAVE to have an opinion on absolutely everything which is fine, but you talk as if you are someone who has `been there done that` which you havent.

Dont mean to come across as patronising (we use S in england not Z - oops sorry again) but sometimes your comments are very strange to read from someone who is only 16.. :)Ok firstly I don't have an opinion on everything. If I did I would most certainly have either come out against this or for it. As it happens I have done neither. Secondly, I don't talk as if I've "been there done that" because I know I haven't. Again, stop being so patronizing.

What's so strange about my comments exactly?

I constantly feel as if I'm being targeted on here simply because I'm young. Kind of makes me wish I'd never stated my age, then I wouldn't get so much trouble for simply having an opinion on things.

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 16:12
LMAO! Don't eat too many chocolates cause you won't be Minty Mouth anymore :p

It is amazing what a toothbrush can do!

I couldn't eat chocolate for about a month after visiting the factory. It smelled so richly of the stuff, I was put off for a looooong time.

If you are going on a diet, I recommend a job there (irony intended)

disneyprincess20
19-01-10, 16:13
In gaming english, we have to use US english as the base, which means we have to put Z's into lots of words.. I know technically its `acceptable` but its still a US based spelling not modern english (i know if i said original english someone would say the english language itself in england has changed so much that it probably had an F in there instead) :)

My job is to edit papers for English, in either UK or US English depending on the location of the author. If we're being pedantic about it, historically the UK English speakers used -ize then evloved our spelling to be closer to French language to differentiate ourselves from Americans. Historically, the Americans are correct, we've created our own subset of our original language. Either way, although the Americans prefer the -ize ending it -ise, it doesn't make it incorrect in UK spelling. It's my job to know boring stuff like that.

Orionvalentine
19-01-10, 16:14
Tony, this is what I was trying to get across to you the other day. Jaywalker has pretty much summed up what I was trying to get at. You sometimes come across a lot older and more experienced than you actually are. I'm in no way patronising or discriminating against your age but he has a point.

jaywalker
19-01-10, 16:15
My job is to edit papers for English, in either UK or US English depending on the location of the author. If we're being pedantic about it, historically the UK English speakers used -ize then evloved our spelling to be closer to French language to differentiate ourselves from Americans. Historically, the Americans are correct, we've created our own subset of our original language. Either way, although the Americans prefer the -ize ending it -ise, it doesn't make it incorrect in UK spelling. It's my job to know boring stuff like that.

Yeh i looked it up :) i thought possibly would be something like that.. Like wine from some countries being amazing because they from original grapes whereas in big wine making countries they've changed things over the years so not as good.. :)

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:15
Tony, this is what I was trying to get across to you the other day. Jaywalker has pretty much summed up what I was trying to get at. You sometimes come across a lot older and more experienced than you actually are. I'm in no way patronising or discriminating against your age but he has a point.Yeah I think I'm so experienced that I admitted earlier I'm no expert and that I don't really care which way this thing goes.

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 16:16
Yeah I think I'm so experienced that I admitted earlier I'm no expert and that I don't really care which way this thing goes.

The way I read it, they are trying to compliment you.

jaywalker
19-01-10, 16:16
Tony, this is what I was trying to get across to you the other day. Jaywalker has pretty much summed up what I was trying to get at. You sometimes come across a lot older and more experienced than you actually are. I'm in no way patronising or discriminating against your age but he has a point.

Thanks that what i was trying to say but coming from me would have sounded more patronising.. Funny that aint it..

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8468540.stm

Looks like there are going to be job losses.

Now that I know this I would say I'm now against this takeover, but I'll just get picked at and insulted again so I'll just stay on the fence..

jaywalker
19-01-10, 16:18
Yeah I think I'm so experienced that I admitted earlier I'm no expert and that I don't really care which way this thing goes.

Thats kinda what rubs tho.. u say stuff about not caring, but you are saying this to people who have lost friends due to redundancies and takeovers etc, so comes across poorly.. having an opinion is all well and good but sometimes without intention you can wind up people by not seeing the bigger picture..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8468540.stm

Looks like there are going to be job losses.

Now that I know this I would say I'm now against this takeover, but I'll just get picked at and insulted again so I'll just stay on the fence..

Not at all.. facts have changed so peoples opinons are obviously going to change.. just some people will be on one side of the fence earlier..

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:19
Thats kinda what rubs tho.. u say stuff about not caring, but you are saying this to people who have lost friends due to redundancies and takeovers etc, so comes across poorly.. having an opinion is all well and good but sometimes without intention you can wind up people by not seeing the bigger picture..Just because I don't have much of an opinion on this doesn't mean I don't care if people loose their jobs.

I was certainly not on the other side of the fence earlier. I was on the fence right up until I read that.

Orionvalentine
19-01-10, 16:22
Just because I don't have much of an opinion on this doesn't mean I don't care if people loose their jobs.

I was certainly not on the other side of the fence earlier. I was on the fence right up until I read that.

You summed it up yourself, you don't have an opinion on it and you are on the fence, but this still requires you to have an opinion? I don't get it.

Chocola teapot
19-01-10, 16:26
How upsetting.

I Prefer Galaxy chocolate by KILOMETERS anyway.

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:30
You summed it up yourself, you don't have an opinion on it and you are on the fence, but this still requires you to have an opinion? I don't get it.I don't have much of an opinion. Various people who are similar ages to me have voiced stronger opinions in this thread than I have but nobody's pestering them.

Spong
19-01-10, 16:30
I Prefer Galaxy chocolate by Miles anyway.

Who's Miles? And when did he start making Galaxy?

:D

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 16:31
How upsetting.

I Prefer Galaxy chocolate by Miles anyway.

Let's put it down to a capitalisation fail :p

Chocola teapot
19-01-10, 16:31
Budum Chhh! :D

Oh I get it, Shut your faces.

Orionvalentine
19-01-10, 16:32
Let's put it down to a capitalisation fail :p

Ahh, that was good, I'll give you that :p

disneyprincess20
19-01-10, 16:32

You should come work with me! :D

Chocola teapot
19-01-10, 16:33
Please stop reveling in my stupidity.

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 16:33
Ahh, that was good, I'll give you that :p

It was one for the thinkers out there.

Trigger_happy
19-01-10, 16:34
I'm now waiting for the inevitable interference, and then all the delicious Cadbury's chocolate will taste like rubbish. At least Hersheys didn't buy them, I suppose, if I had to find a good point.

Orionvalentine
Please stop reveling in my stupidity.

:hug:

ON TOPIC: Kraft = bad!

jaywalker
I don't have much of an opinion. Various people who are similar ages to me have voiced stronger opinions in this thread than I have but nobody's pestering them.

As i said it comes down to `knowledge` of your posting style tho. People remember how you are from all the other threads and read into what you say, rightly or wrongly, and from that extrapolate what you are meaning. Again its not always right to do so, but its what people do on forums, you should know that ;)

Its like someone who is always sarcastic suddenly being serious but everyone would still read him as sarcastic..

Ontopic - yes Kraft could be very bad.. :)

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:35
I'm now waiting for the inevitable interference, and then all the delicious Cadbury's chocolate will taste like rubbish. At least Hersheys didn't buy them, I suppose, if I had to find a good point.They wont change the chocolate. They'll probably lay off workers but they wont change one thing about the products. It'd be a bad business move.

Phys
19-01-10, 16:36
What? :mad: Cadburys should STAY Cadburys... I'm annoyed at everything being bought out. :(

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:36
What? :mad: Cadburys should STAY Cadburys... I'm annoyed at everything being bought out. :(They are aren't they? I haven't heard anything about re-branding them.

Spong
19-01-10, 16:37
They'll probably lay off workers but they wont change one thing about the products. It'd be a bad business move.

Why stop making bad business decisions now? Patriotism aside, Cadbury has just sold the brand to a company that couldn't even afford it.

Orionvalentine
19-01-10, 16:39
I think people will probably be made redundant when Kraft settle their roots in, but the most that will happen to the chocolate is the name on the wrapper. (Unless they take a peaceful approach and keep everything as it is, jobs AND product)

jaywalker
19-01-10, 16:39
Just like the assumption that jobs wont necessarily go, which we now have had word is almost certainly incorrect as Cadbury's expects jobs to go. This means anything `assumed` can be very wrong very quickly :(

Simple facts are:

Kraft have taken out a massive loan to buy the name/recipes/staff/buildings of Cadburys.

Cadburys themselves have said they expect job cuts. Altho this is actually an assumption, but from a source that has more idea of what is happening

Thats it..

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:42
But they'd loose too much money if they changed the chocolate.

Trigger_happy
19-01-10, 16:42
They wont change the chocolate. They'll probably lay off workers but they wont change one thing about the products. It'd be a bad business move.

Well, since Kraft are already working at a loss, and then have to borrow $7 billion just to buy Cadburys, I see no reason why they would maintain the current standards: cheaper chocolate means they can make more money.

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:43
Well, since Kraft are already working at a loss, and then have to borrow $7 billion just to buy Cadburys, I see no reason why they would maintain the current standards: cheaper chocolate means they can make more money.That is if people continued to buy at the current rate, which they most certainly wouldn't if they changed it.

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 16:44
This is already such a big UK news story, if they changed the recipe, it would undoubtedly make the news too.

That would spell disaster for Kraft.

jaywalker
19-01-10, 16:46
That is if people continued to buy at the current rate, which they most certainly wouldn't if they changed it.

Hence why the product may not change but where its made could. as i said staffing costs in Uk are a lot higher then say India etc.. They just move all production of identical product to a country an 1/8th the cost, voila consumers dont see a difference shareholders see $$$$

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 16:47
Hence why the product may not change but where its made could. as i said staffing costs in Uk are a lot higher then say India etc.. They just move all production of identical product to a country an 1/8th the cost, voila consumers dont see a difference shareholders see $$$$I'm not disputing this.

jaywalker
19-01-10, 16:50
I'm not disputing this.

didnt say you were but was just meaning u'd quoted his bit about cheaper chocolate, cheaper doesnt mean the product is different but the manufacturing is..

Capt. Murphy
19-01-10, 17:11
Serves them right for making the Cadbury Creme Egg smaller and telling everyone they got bigger. Those ba....

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 17:11
Serves them right for making the Cadbury Creme Egg smaller and telling everyone they got bigger. Those ba....

really?

lara c. fan
19-01-10, 17:13
And 'again' its another British company being controlled and brought out by a foreign company, does this country not want anything left British anymore?

Most stuff wasn't British at all in the first place...

Although I do agree that Cadbury shouldn't do this.

Agent 47
19-01-10, 17:43
Most stuff wasn't British at all in the first place...

And what "most stuff" would that be then? :confused:

lara c. fan
19-01-10, 17:49
And what "most stuff" would that be then? :confused:
It would take a lot of time.
Tea, chocolate, coffee....

Examples :)

Agent 47
19-01-10, 17:53
It would take a lot of time.
Tea, chocolate, coffee....

Examples :)

what does Tea,Chocolate,Coffee have to do with anything. We're on about companies NOT the actual products :vlol:

lara c. fan
19-01-10, 17:55

what does Tea,Chocolate,Coffee have to do with anything. We're on about companies NOT the actual products :vlol:

:pi:

Woooooops....

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 18:20
I don't think whether or not the company is British really matters anyway. The product quality and job losses do though.

Capt. Murphy
19-01-10, 18:27
really?

Oh! To be more specific; When they told everyone else they got bigger - they meant the consumers got bigger, not the egg. ;)

It's probably so old everyone forgot...

http://consumerist.com/2007/04/cadbury-our-eggs-arent-smaller-you-are-bigger.html

Spong
19-01-10, 18:30
Kraft will have to get used to UK legislation. Our chocolate has to have a minimum of 20% cocoa content compared to the American's 10% (apparently).

I don't think whether or not the company is British really matters anyway. The product quality and job losses do though.

Have you no sense of patriotism or heritage at all? This was one of the last remaining, solely British companies. A company that has been providing this septic isle with chocolate for 100 years. Cadbury was as British as Parliament, as British as teenage pregnancy, as British as vCJD. If you don't get that then I'd have to say that it's down to your age like Jay said earlier on.

Mad Tony
19-01-10, 18:37
Have you no sense of patriotism or heritage at all? This was one of the last remaining, solely British companies. A company that has been providing this septic isle with chocolate for 100 years. Cadbury was as British as Parliament, as British as teenage pregnancy, as British as vCJD. If you don't get that then I'd have to say that it's down to your age like Jay said earlier on.I do, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go into a fit of rage every time the owners of a British company want to sell up. Patriotism is being proud of your country, not getting in the way of the free market. As I've said countless times, Cadbury are a public limited company and they can do whatever they want providing the shareholders are happy with it.

What does my age have to do with it? As you said, Cadbury's have been around for over 100 years. They've been around for longer you, me or anyone else on this forum.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-01-10, 18:46
Oh! To be more specific; When they told everyone else they got bigger - they meant the consumers got bigger, not the egg. ;)

It's probably so old everyone forgot...

http://consumerist.com/2007/04/cadbury-our-eggs-arent-smaller-you-are-bigger.html

oh :p

Laralissa
19-01-10, 19:18
As long as it still tastes like cadburys chocolate has always tasted, I honestly can't see myself getting very worked up about this :p

jaywalker
20-01-10, 21:58
Proof we need to get rid of our government asap.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8470776.stm

The people funding the sale of Cadburys to the US is RBS a bank WE as taxpayers bailed out and own 84% of.. i dont recall being asked if i would support this!?! and i sure as hell dont..

Well done Gordon Brown you backstabbing barsteward.

lara c. fan
20-01-10, 21:59
^Wow.
We need to get rid of Labour...

Another Lara
20-01-10, 22:06

The people funding the sale of Cadburys to the US is RBS a bank WE as taxpayers bailed out and own 84% of.. i dont recall being asked if i would support this!?! and i sure as hell dont..

Reflects most of the country's feelings hun! The sooner the general election comes along the better! :cen:

Mad Tony
20-01-10, 22:20
Lol, funny how now this pops up everyone rallies against Labour, but before no one seemed to care. :p

IMO they've done worse things, but this is still terribly bad and will (hopefully) cost them at the election. Down with Brown!

Another Lara
20-01-10, 22:22
Lol, funny how now this pops up everyone rallies against Labour, but before no one seemed to care. :p

Since when have I told you I voted Labour?! I have never voted Labour and most likely never will, all this does is prove my hatred of them!

Don't assume because I don't talk about my view on politics often that I don't care!

jaywalker
20-01-10, 22:27

IMO they've done worse things, but this is still terribly bad and will (hopefully) cost them at the election. Down with Brown!

I've been rallying for the removal of labour since they won the election back in 97 (popularity contest that it was had nothing to do with politics - but thats an entirely different debate)

You would have been 3 at the time yeh? you've never seen anything but Labour. Not saying Tory going to be a sudden instant improvement but finally the opinion has swayed back in their favour and Brown has been the biggest helper in that

Mad Tony
20-01-10, 22:28
Since when have I told you I voted Labour?! I have never voted Labour and most likely never will, all this does is prove my hatred of them!

Don't assume because I don't talk about my view on politics often that I don't care!I never said anyone here supported Labour. I was just saying that normally I'm the only one strongly opposing Labour on here.

You would have been 3 at the time yeh? you've never seen anything but Labour. Not saying Tory going to be a sudden instant improvement but finally the opinion has swayed back in their favour and Brown has been the biggest helper in thatJeez, will you stop using my age against me? It's getting pretty annoying and pathetic actually. Most people weren't alive when Churchill was PM but that doesn't stop most people understandably having a very favorable opinion of him.

Another Lara
20-01-10, 22:32
I never said anyone here supported Labour. I was just saying that normally I'm the only one strongly opposing Labour on here.

Jeez, will you stop using my age against me? It's getting pretty annoying and pathetic actually.

Just because you like to air your "strong opinions" on how bad labour is constantly on this forum, it doesn't mean you're the only one that feels them!

Shame you're not old enough to vote really, lol! ;)

jaywalker
20-01-10, 22:32
I never said anyone here supported Labour. I was just saying that normally I'm the only one strongly opposing Labour on here.

Jeez, will you stop using my age against me? It's getting pretty annoying and pathetic actually. Most people weren't alive when Churchill was PM but that doesn't stop most people understandably having a very favorable opinion of him.

Dont worry you have an ally against Labour in myself :)

As for your age how was it having a go, was just saying you've been raised in a Labour world, so not had chance to see the difference etc.. hopefully you will soon

Mad Tony
20-01-10, 22:34
Just because you like to air your "strong opinions" on how bad labour is constantly on this forum, it doesn't mean you're the only one that feels them!

Shame you're not old enough to vote really, lol! ;)Again, when did I say that? I was just commenting on how it seems only know that people are coming out strongly against Labour on this forum in public.

Oh well, it's not like the Conservatives are gonna loose by one vote. At the risk of sounding arrogant we've got this wrapped up. Also, I'm gonna be involved in this election in some way anyway.

jaywalker
20-01-10, 22:36
Again, when did I say that? I was just commenting on how it seems only know that people are coming out strongly against Labour on this forum in public.

Oh well, it's not like the Conservatives are gonna loose by one vote. At the risk of sounding arrogant we've got this wrapped up. Also, I'm gonna be involved in this election in some way anyway.

You a `Young Tory` member? not seen them around much of late, but i know they on rise in numbers

Mad Tony
20-01-10, 22:39
You a `Young Tory` member? not seen them around much of late, but i know they on rise in numbersYup. Joined last spring and I helped with the European and local elections. At the last election (where strangely enough I was supporting the Lib Dems) the Labour incumbent here managed to hold onto his seat, but not by that much. Hopefully this time we'll be able to get him out.

Shark_Blade
21-01-10, 00:05
I've read about this. I don't really enjoy chocolate so this is no loss for me what so ever.

mau3genius
21-01-10, 03:05
I don't like Cadbury lol. Hopefully there won't be any major job cuts on the future. And, seriously, who could possibly think Cadbury wouldn't accept a big offer just to stay british? Business is business. :p

jaywalker
21-01-10, 09:51
Yup. Joined last spring and I helped with the European and local elections. At the last election (where strangely enough I was supporting the Lib Dems) the Labour incumbent here managed to hold onto his seat, but not by that much. Hopefully this time we'll be able to get him out.

Fair play to you for taking part..

Agent 47
21-01-10, 18:05

Totally agree,i was absolutely livid when i read that :mad: a British bank, funding a US buyout of UK Independent company.

so out of order, not amused especially given said company can't even afford Cadbury. quite sickening really but hey who cares??

Shareholders are happy as they get a wad of cash and move on to the next business to sell down the river, RBS are laughing too for similar reasons.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-01-10, 21:54
omg thats so traitorous! :mad:

Mad Tony
21-01-10, 22:02
omg thats so traitorous! :mad:Lol, going a bit too far there don't you think?

Come on guys, you're acting as if this is a war.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-01-10, 22:09
Lol, going a bit too far there don't you think?

no i don't think, thats why i said it :ton:

Jack Croft
22-01-10, 09:32
Lol, going a bit too far there don't you think?

Your posts in this thread would suggest otherwise about a war against labour.

Mad Tony
22-01-10, 17:20
Your posts in this thread would suggest otherwise about a war against labour.I've hardly mentioned Labour in this thread. :confused:

I meant a war against America by the way, not Labour.

patriots88888
22-01-10, 17:42
And who exactly is surprised by this?

Welcome to the twenty-tens!

Mad Tony
22-01-10, 17:47
And who exactly is surprised by this?

Welcome to the twenty-tens!There were talks of this last year. :p

patriots88888
22-01-10, 17:50
There were talks of this last year. :p

Yea, so? If you understood correctly, and after reading through the posts in this thread, you'd think it was the end of the world or something. I could name dozens of buyouts here in the US but you don't see us maing a big fuss and posting threads about it. :p

lara c. fan
22-01-10, 17:52
Yea, so? If you understood correctly, and after reading through the posts in this thread, you'd think it was the end of the world or something. I could name dozens of buyouts here in the US but you don't see us maing a big fuss and posting threads about it. :p

I may be wrong, but are these companies of yours being taken over one of the last remaining pure US companies?

Cadbury is one of the last in the UK, pretty much everything else either started as a non-english company or has been bought out by one.

Mad Tony
22-01-10, 17:55
Yea, so? If you understood correctly, and after reading through the posts in this thread, you'd think it was the end of the world or something. I could name dozens of buyouts here in the US but you don't see us maing a big fuss and posting threads about it. :pOh no, I was just saying that there was talk of this before the 2010s :p

I may be wrong, but are these companies of yours being taken over one of the last remaining pure US companies?

Cadbury is one of the last in the UK, pretty much everything else either started as a non-english company or has been bought out by one.Lol, "pure"? This is the 21st century. Protectionism and nationalism have no place in today's global markets.

lara c. fan
22-01-10, 17:59
Lol, "pure"? This is the 21st century. Protectionism and nationalism have no place in today's global markets.

I couldn't think of any way to put it, I've been lying in bed ill the whole day...

And, hey! I was trying to back you up :p

patriots88888
22-01-10, 18:01
Oh no, I was just saying that there was talk of this before the 2010s :p

Well it wouldn't make much sense to say welcome to the 2000's now that they're gone, now would it? :p

Point is, however unfortunate these buyouts may be, they're a part of the business world we live in today. Better get used to it because they're not about to end any time soon.

asherz
22-01-10, 18:50
As long as the creme eggs stay the same I couldn't care less who owns it lol.:D