PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood- USA

woody543
19-01-10, 15:02
A USA version of the hit TV show; Torchwood (Dr. Who spinoff) is apparently being developed, with the original team developing it and RTD writing the script

Source (don't know how reliable) (http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/fox-readying-us-version-of-torchwood-.html)

Obviously it's in pre-production stages, and will have to have a pilot and various other proceadural things before we actually see it.

Even though I don't live in america, it will more than likely be broadcast in the UK, so I am intrigued (especially if it carries on Captain Jack's story).

The stories are apparently going to have a more world wide scale as opposed to the occasionally small scale Uk version.

Transcript if you are having trouble opening the link

Fox readying U.S. version of 'Torchwood'

Torchwood-children-of-e-001 Exclusive: Huge news for sci-fi fans: Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series “Torchwood.”

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.

A more straight-faced spinoff of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” is about a covert group that investigates and fights alien activity. Two series aired domestically on BBC America as well as last year’s well reviewed stand-alone miniseries, “Children of Earth,” which broke all ratings records for the network. (If you're a fan of serious sci fi such as "Battlestar Galatica" and haven't seen "Children of Earth," rent it. You don't need to know anything about the series. And I know the previews for "Torchwood" can look silly. Trust me, it's terrific. Like "24" with aliens).

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, “Torchwood” fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies’ producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show’s first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec VP programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).

Also, some of the current cast — most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness — might star if Fox orders “Torchwood” to pilot.

As for the new show’s plot, the U.S. version will contain a global story line compared to the more localized sensibility of the first two BBC seasons.

Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audiences while departing “Doctor Who” star David Tennant stars in NBC’s pilot “Rex Is Not Your Lawyer.” “Torchwood” (which is an anagram of “Doctor Who”) debuted in 2006 on BBC 3 and set ratings records, then was moved to BBC 1. Russell also reinvented “Doctor Who” in 2003 and was writer-creator of the series “Queer as Folk.”

Thoughts? oppinions? comments?

Spong
19-01-10, 15:04
Thoughts? oppinions? comments?

I never liked Torchwood. Doctor Who is awesome though.

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 15:04
Any British program made American tend to fail over here. So I don't expect to be seeing much of this.

Without John Barrowman, the show will be nothing :p

Spong
19-01-10, 15:08
Any British program made American tend to fail over here. So I don't expect to be seeing much of this.

That's because Americans don't get it. Like The Office. They turned what was a brilliantly inspired observational piece into a procession of no-brainer slapstick 'jokes'. That show makes me cringe watching it, it's so low-brow.

But when it comes to Torchwood, they've fallen at the first hurdle in my opinion because I think the show's rubbish anyway. Mind you, because of that, I guess any potential remake can only be the same or better.

Minty Mouth
19-01-10, 15:11
That's because Americans don't get it. Like The Office. They turned what was a brilliantly inspired observational piece into a procession of no-brainer slapstick 'jokes'. That show makes me cringe watching it, it's so low-brow.

But when it comes to Torchwood, they've fallen at the first hurdle in my opinion because I think the show's rubbish anyway. Mind you, because of that, I guess any potential remake can only be the same or better.

They play the US Office on Paramount Comedy...but I've never bothered to watch it for fear of the exact thing you just pointed out.

Back onto Torchwood, did you see the Children of Earth series?

Those are the only episodes I have seen, but they were a lot better than I expected.

Domino
19-01-10, 15:15
That will be horrible. The worst thought if people trying to play Ianto, Tosh and Owen... they were all perfect in the UK series... seeing someone else trying to pull off the characters will be horrible.

EDIT: Just read the source properly - hopefully they keep the core cast the same as they mentioned was a possibility, or use different characters.

woody543
19-01-10, 15:20
I don't think it's a remake, I think it is more a new torchwood, but created in america, I mean I doubt RTD will do anything too bad....

Spong
19-01-10, 15:27
...seeing someone else trying to pull off the characters will be horrible.

Nice choice of words :tmb::vlol:

Back onto Torchwood, did you see the Children of Earth series?

Yeah, I saw it. I've seen all the Torchwoods so far. My biggest problem is Jack, I really don't like him. I dislike him in Doctor Who and I really dislike him in Torchwood. Why does he have to be so gay all the time? I get that he's gay, I'm fine with that, but is it really necessary to underline it with such frequency? It's just boring. Whenever he appears in Doctor Who, you can guarantee that some kind of innuendo or 'wink-wink' implication is hot on his heels. It grew very tiresome very quickly in Doctor Who and it was just taken to an unbearable level in Torchwood.

I wonder if that aspect of Jack will be swept under the carpet in the US remake?

Rivendell
19-01-10, 15:29
The link won't open for me (naff internet here today :rolleyes: ) .
If it's a literal USA version of the Torchwood series - as in, the same characters recast with American actors, then I really don't see the point, and don't think it'd be a brilliant idea for the show as it is.

However, if it's based around a Torchwood HQ based in the USA, with new characters, then I think that's a great idea. They could weave it into the UK series, links to it, and to Doctor Who. It'd open up the scope of the show even more, and bring much more story possibilities if the UK series and the USA series were based in the same 'universe' as opposed to being a uk version and a usa version based on/remade from the uk one.

:tmb:

Chocola teapot
19-01-10, 15:30
I think that it's a gimpish idea.

But like Riv said, If it's new characters in an American Torchwood base then...

Yay.

Orionvalentine
I'm intrigued at the prospect of a USA show, I hope that it airs over here in the UK though.

Minty Mouth

Yeah, I saw it. I've seen all the Torchwoods so far. My biggest problem is Jack, I really don't like him. I dislike him in Doctor Who and I really dislike him in Torchwood. Why does he have to be so gay all the time? I get that he's gay, I'm fine with that, but is it really necessary to underline it with such frequency? It's just boring. Whenever he appears in Doctor Who, you can guarantee that some kind of innuendo or 'wink-wink' implication is hot on his heels. It grew very tiresome very quickly in Doctor Who and it was just taken to an unbearable level in Torchwood.

I wonder if that aspect of Jack will be swept under the carpet in the US remake?
John Barrowman is the in-joke between me and a couple of my friends :p His camp-ness is joke fodder at its best!

Domino
19-01-10, 15:49

I don't see what's wrong with my choice of words?

woody543
19-01-10, 15:49
The link won't open for me (naff internet here today :rolleyes: ) .
If it's a literal USA version of the Torchwood series - as in, the same characters recast with American actors, then I really don't see the point, and don't think it'd be a brilliant idea for the show as it is.

However, if it's based around a Torchwood HQ based in the USA, with new characters, then I think that's a great idea. They could weave it into the UK series, links to it, and to Doctor Who. It'd open up the scope of the show even more, and bring much more story possibilities if the UK series and the USA series were based in the same 'universe' as opposed to being a uk version and a usa version based on/remade from the uk one.

:tmb:

Updated the original post with a transcript of the link, just for you :D(and various other people who may not be able to access it)

I agree with the points you made, a remake would be terrible, a continuation would be great.