PDA

View Full Version : GM ditches Hummer

Sgt BOMBULOUS
19-01-10, 22:02
GM says hasta la vista to Hummer

Today marks the end of US production for the iconic and controversial SUV made popular by Arnold Schwarzenegger and other lovers of assault-vehicle capability.
[Related content: GM, automotive, manufacturing, car loans, cars]
By MSN Money staff

When General Motors' assembly plant in Shreveport, La., opened this morning, there was a 2.5-ton hole in the lineup left by the Hummer. GM has halted production of the H3 and H3T, the last two Hummers that were still being made.

GM negotiated the sale of Hummer to a Chinese company in 2009, but the deal has yet to gain approval of the Chinese government, and analysts are skeptical the sale will go through. If the sale fails, the final Hummer will have rolled off the assembly line last week.

It will be the end of an era.

"There was a time when Hummers were novel. They were cool when fuel economy was a nonissue," says Kim Wolfkill of MSN Autos.
The civilian Hummer brand was introduced in 1992, with the gigantic military-derived Humvee an early favorite of rappers and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The only slightly less gigantic H2 appeared in 2003, bringing assault-vehicle capability to the SUV-driving masses. The tidier H3 showed up in 2006, with its relatively higher fuel economy ratings of 14 city and 18 highway -- a nod to the rapidly changing market.

Hummer's global sales peaked at about 76,000 in 2006. Last year, just 9,000 of the trucks moved off the lots, with only 325 Hummers sold in December, according to Autodata. Nick Richards, the communications director for Hummer, estimates there are 2,100 H3 and H3T trucks still in dealer inventories.
The future of the Hummer

The future of Hummer
When Hummers still mattered, it was a rolling statement and a convenient target. Other drivers love to hate it, and Hummer drivers love to hate the haters. Middle-finger H2 salutes are emphatically returned.

The Hummer is obnoxious. It's a ticket magnet. It's a babe magnet. It's ultra-capable off road. It's bad for the environment. It supports the war in Iraq. Environmentalists have set the vehicles afire in dealer lots and vandalized them in private driveways.
Detroit Auto Show Highlights
Go to CNBC
"The Hummer became a lightning rod of all things wrong," Wolfkill says. "It wasn't practical, and it was the perfect target for the green movement."

If gas prices and angry stares don't intimidate you, a new H3 will cost you from $33,000 to $43,000, though used ones are available for about half that.

Richards is optimistic about the future of the brand and believes production will restart once the acquisition is complete. Wolfkill agrees that the Hummer might still have a chance if its new owner changes direction and focuses on producing smaller, more-fuel-efficient vehicles.

"Hummer wasn't a bad product," Wolfkill says. "It was a fad that was vulnerable to changing times."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not going to lose any sleep seeing less of these monstrosities on the road. It's not as if even 10% of the people who own them use them for their intended purpose - usually it's some yuppie using it to put around town in, shockingly wasteful IMO.

Tombraiderx08
19-01-10, 22:33
Im surprised! I kinda liked em :S

snork
19-01-10, 23:02
Where is that quote from ? GM marketing division ?

. It's a ticket magnet. It's a babe magnet. It's ultra-capable off road.Hummer will make your ***** bigger

Spong
20-01-10, 00:06
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not going to lose any sleep seeing less of these monstrosities on the road. It's not as if even 10% of the people who own them use them for their intended purpose - usually it's some yuppie using it to put around town in, shockingly wasteful IMO.

I agree. Not that the UK was overflowing with the bricks on wheels. They'll not be missed.

Catapharact
20-01-10, 00:09
*Sigh...* GM since when did you start endorsing to segway driving wussies?

I am so getting one of the few surviving Hummers! Me wants!

EmeraldFields
20-01-10, 00:44
I'll be glad to see them go!:D

larafan25
20-01-10, 00:48
^whaaaa?:O

I loved them:p

MiCkiZ88
20-01-10, 00:51
Sounds good news to me. The only good purpose they serve is using them in the army I suppose. For civilian cars they are much too big and wasteful.

Solice
20-01-10, 04:09
Hummer is the ultimate jerk-mobile

Catapharact
20-01-10, 04:12
Hummer is the ultimate jerk-mobile

I am putting a down payment on one tomorrow.

scoopy_loopy
20-01-10, 06:48
Oh good. Finally theyre going to stop make those ugly, pretentious cars.

Little-Lara
20-01-10, 07:25
:yik: This is such a huge news in car-history. Hummers are VERRY popular in Los Angeles, go figure!! Its hard to believe. I liked it 50% and hated it 50%. A small part of me wanted to own one, and another part of me wanted to see it decompose. ;)

Mad Tony
20-01-10, 07:26
Have people lost jobs because of this?

Spong
20-01-10, 07:30
Have people lost jobs because of this?

Not that I've heard. GM has simply just stopped making the Hummer and are continuing with their other (better) cars, which they have plenty of. Apparently the production rights for the Hummer were sold to a manufacturer in China, but there's some problem that might put a halt to it (I've not looked into it properly).

Solice
21-01-10, 03:28

I am putting a down payment on one tomorrow.

Ever see the Hummer guy on Family Guy? :p:)

Catapharact
21-01-10, 03:36
Ever see the Hummer guy on Family Guy? :p:)

*Yells* RUMSFELD!

On a serious note, its sad to see such an iconic piece of machinery die out. I love offroading, and because of that I am quite fond of the classic Humvee models; Especially the pickup vairants. You can even deflate and inflate the tires for more traction and maneuverability on rocky uphill paths.

mau3genius
21-01-10, 03:37
Good. It's probably one of the most unstylish cars I've ever seen. Like a gigantic oatmeal box with wheels lol :p

Catapharact
21-01-10, 03:41
Good. It's probably one of the most unstylish cars I've ever seen. Like a gigantic oatmeal box with wheels lol :p

I am sure you are going to love GM's new project then :whi:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home/technology/meet-the-son-of-segway/2009/04/07/1238869976524.html

This is why people who use the Segway should not be allowed anywhere near the Automotive industry.

scoopy_loopy
21-01-10, 03:42
I sincerely doubt they will become mass market any time soon.

Catapharact
21-01-10, 03:48
I seriously hope it NEVER does. I will bicycle to work before I step into one of those; That way I can still call myself a man and actually get a good workout at the same time.

Imagine if Hummer had a chance to bring this concept out to the Market.

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/repository/ff4/071c8a43c1004847010145edef087/1/hummer3.jpg

mau3genius
21-01-10, 03:48
I am sure you are going to love GM's new project then :whi:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/home/technology/meet-the-son-of-segway/2009/04/07/1238869976524.html

This is why people who use the Segway should not be allowed anywhere near the Automotive industry.

WTF? Bring back the Hummer now.
Seriously though, they're one step away from selling unicycles!
I'm no fan of gigantic cars like the Hummer, but oversimplifying a car's structure is both hideous and, maybe even dangerous for drivers! lol

Johnnay
21-01-10, 03:52
think of Hummers as Luxury 4WD's

but they are thirsty cars which i dont like about them

scoopy_loopy
21-01-10, 04:07
I seriously hope it NEVER does. I will bicycle to work before I step into one of those; That way I can still call myself a man and actually get a good workout at the same time.

Imagine if Hummer had a chance to bring this concept out to the Market.

http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/repository/ff4/071c8a43c1004847010145edef087/1/hummer3.jpg

Short of the power rangers and batman, no man should need to overcompensate badly enough to buy one of those :rolleyes:

think of Hummers as Luxury 4WD's

but they are thirsty cars which i dont like about them

They're not even luxury though, they're filled with plastic and look horrid :p

Catapharact
21-01-10, 04:11
Short of the power rangers and batman, no man should need to overcompensate badly enough to buy one of those :rolleyes:

Stick with the Honda Civic; It obviously suits you :p.

scoopy_loopy
21-01-10, 04:22
The Honda has far too much plastic aswell. Im not against showy cars, Cat, I just have a dislike of Hummers because I really feel that the people inside them are effectively crying for attention.

Catapharact
21-01-10, 04:30
The Honda has far too much plastic aswell. Im not against showy cars, Cat, I just have a dislike of Hummers because I really feel that the people inside them are effectively crying for attention.

And people who drive Ferraris, Lambos, Spykers, and to a lesser extent Cadillacs don't? I admit I am not a huge fan of the new Hummer models. Why? Because they have been too... Wimpified. Humvees were the replacement of the oh so versitle army Jeeps and as such, their first order of business should always be performance and durability. Hummer kinda thought that they could compete on the luxary SUV market if they "styalized" the hummer a bit but in the end, they just yanked out a few of the teeth from the dog and tried to prem up a Doberman to look like a poodle.

Did the gamble pay off though? Unfortunately yes and I am not too happy about that.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
21-01-10, 04:43
*Yells* RUMSFELD!

On a serious note, its sad to see such an iconic piece of machinery die out. I love offroading, and because of that I am quite fond of the classic Humvee models; Especially the pickup vairants. You can even deflate and inflate the tires for more traction and maneuverability on rocky uphill paths.

The Military variants were the biggest pieces of ****... When I was in Korea our Humvee spent more time in the shop than it did running.

Catapharact
21-01-10, 04:46
The Military variants were the biggest pieces of ****... When I was in Korea our Humvee spent more time in the shop than it did running.

The Korean Era military tech really wasn't... Up to date with the times and the environment Lol! Remember the F-86 Sabre Jets? I am just amazed at the 12 to 1 kill ratio that the American pilots pulled off during the Korean War; Speaks volumes about the dogfighting skills of the pilots of that time.

Lets not forget the craptastic early M-16 rifle models used in Vietnam. Heck the GIs were ditching them for the AKs.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
21-01-10, 05:03
The Korean Era military tech really wasn't... Up to date with the times and the environment Lol! Remember the F-86 Sabre Jets? I am just amazed at the 12 to 1 kill ratio that the American pilots pulled off during the Korean War; Speaks volumes about the dogfighting skills of the pilots of that time.

Lets not forget the craptastic early M-16 rifle models used in Vietnam. Heck the GIs were ditching them for the AKs.

The problem was that Korea got the junk... I saw the manufacturers plate on one of them - It was from 1985!! (I was in Korea in 1999). Still though, even when I got to Ft. Hood TX they weren't much better.

(Just a note - I am talking about U.S. Army equipment)

Catapharact
21-01-10, 05:11
The problem was that Korea got the junk... I saw the manufacturers plate on one of them - It was from 1985!! (I was in Korea in 1999). Still though, even when I got to Ft. Hood TX they weren't much better.

(Just a note - I am talking about U.S. Army equipment)

Oh wow...

Now it might be because of the fact that the U.S. Army has pushed the Humvee into tasks which its certainly isn't ment for. The Humvee is by no means an APC yet they are used in Iraq and Afganistan as patrol vehicles on roads which are frequently littered with IEDs.

I have even seen SAM Humvee variants.

Mad Tony
21-01-10, 07:49
*Yells* RUMSFELD!

On a serious note, its sad to see such an iconic piece of machinery die out. I love offroading, and because of that I am quite fond of the classic Humvee models; Especially the pickup vairants. You can even deflate and inflate the tires for more traction and maneuverability on rocky uphill paths.Haha, I just lol'ed when I looked that up. :p

Good secretary of defense though :whi:

Little-Lara
21-01-10, 09:55
Not that I've heard. GM has simply just stopped making the Hummer and are continuing with their other (better) cars, which they have plenty of. Apparently the production rights for the Hummer were sold to a manufacturer in China, but there's some problem that might put a halt to it (I've not looked into it properly).

So now the world won't be allowed to talk negatively about Hummers anymore. And here I thought the halt in production was due to concerns about the environment. Hope killed.