PDA

View Full Version : Strangelets

remyma
20-01-10, 13:36
Have you heard about the strangelets that the Large Hadron Collider may produce? I just got over the black holes, and now this...

I'm so scared!

If they know there's a chance of any kind, they shouldn't be doing it!

Rivendell
20-01-10, 13:38
Realllllly thought the Strangelets were the particles that were going to cause these apparent "black holes". :pi:

Punaxe
20-01-10, 13:44
I'll just post CERN's response:

Strangelet is the term given to a hypothetical microscopic lump of ‘strange matter’ containing almost equal numbers of particles called up, down and strange quarks. According to most theoretical work, strangelets should change to ordinary matter within a thousand-millionth of a second. But could strangelets coalesce with ordinary matter and change it to strange matter? This question was first raised before the start up of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, RHIC, in 2000 in the United States. A study at the time showed that there was no cause for concern, and RHIC has now run for eight years, searching for strangelets without detecting any. At times, the LHC will run with beams of heavy nuclei, just as RHIC does. The LHC’s beams will have more energy than RHIC, but this makes it even less likely that strangelets could form. It is difficult for strange matter to stick together in the high temperatures produced by such colliders, rather as ice does not form in hot water. In addition, quarks will be more dilute at the LHC than at RHIC, making it more difficult to assemble strange matter. Strangelet production at the LHC is therefore less likely than at RHIC, and experience there has already validated the arguments that strangelets cannot be produced.

(Source (http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html))

digitizedboy
20-01-10, 13:57
When I first looked at the title of the thread I thought it was the name of some new band that's just entered the scene.

Cochrane
20-01-10, 14:20
Have you heard about the strangelets that the Large Hadron Collider may produce? I just got over the black holes, and now this...

I'm so scared!

If they know there's a chance of any kind, they shouldn't be doing it!

As a general rule: When people tell you "The LHC will end the world!", just assume that they have no idea what they are talking about. Works every time.

Ikas90
20-01-10, 14:25
They just want to test whether it'll actually end the world or not. :rolleyes:

Well, if it does... bye bye to all the world's problems, lol!