PDA

View Full Version : Phone texting 'helps pupils spell'.

lara c. fan
20-01-10, 18:21
Children who regularly use the abbreviated language of text messages are actually improving their ability to spell correctly, research suggests.

A study of eight- to 12-year-olds found that rather than damaging reading and writing, "text speak" is associated with strong literacy skills.

Researchers say text language uses word play and requires an awareness of how sounds relate to written English.

This link between texting and literacy has proved a surprise, say researchers.

These latest findings of an ongoing study at the University of Coventry contradict any expectation that prolonged exposure to texting will erode a child's ability to spell.
Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8468351.stm

I guess this goes against the 'text talk' ruins spelling....

Mad Tony
20-01-10, 18:22
Yeah, well this is obviously a load of BS. :p People who use text speak a lot tend to put it into their work as well.

Phlip
20-01-10, 18:22
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/2h7ksqa.gif

TombRaiderLover
20-01-10, 18:25
The grades of the students in my school who tlk liek dis suggest otherwise.

TombOfRaiders
20-01-10, 18:29
I hate getting text messages so I don't use a phone.

I guess it helps them to spell like chavs then.

Aranara
20-01-10, 18:32
The grades of the students in my school who tlk liek dis suggest otherwise.

This :tmb:

Forwen
20-01-10, 18:43
I wouldn't dismiss these findings out of hand - they might actually be legit for this age group, when children still learn to handle basic writing properly. Correlation between literacy and text speak for 14-18 year-olds, who are already expected to demonstrate some writing skills would be a completely another matter altogether, I suppose.

Spong
20-01-10, 18:45
@lara c. fan
You missed the word 'badly' from the end of your thread title.

I'm with Mad Tony. This is BS.

tomblover
20-01-10, 18:46
Err, well, as long as there's T9 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T9_%28predictive_text%29) we will survive.

Legend of Lara
20-01-10, 18:47
gr8 i dun need 2 pt effrt n2 spln nymoar lol oh, god, it hurts!

lara c. fan
20-01-10, 18:51
@lara c. fan
You missed the word 'badly' from the end of your thread title.

I'm with Mad Tony. This is BS.

I wouldn't dismiss these findings out of hand - they might actually be legit for this age group, when children still learn to handle basic writing properly. Correlation between literacy and text speak for 14-18 year-olds, who are already expected to demonstrate some writing skills would be a completely another matter altogether, I suppose.

I'm with Forwen.

patriots88888
20-01-10, 18:55
Phone texting 'helps pupils spell'.

Yea, spell incorrectly that is!

Eddie Haskell
20-01-10, 19:01
gr8 i dun need 2 pt effrt n2 spln nymoar lol oh, god, it hurts!

I'd like to read King Lear in that style...;)

Legend of Lara
20-01-10, 19:19

i thot da king ha moar afictd da duk f ablany tan cronwal.it did alwz sem so 2 us bt nao n teh divson of da kindum it aperz nt whic f teh dukz he vals msot 4 ecvalits r so wight tat cursity n neter cn mak cioce f eithes moty.

It was a challenge.

Eddie Haskell
20-01-10, 19:24
i thot da king ha moar afictd da duk f ablany tan cronwal.it did alwz sem so 2 us bt nao n teh divson of da kindum it aperz nt whic f teh dukz he vals msot 4 ecvalits r so wight tat cursity n neter cn mak cioce f eithes moty.

It was a challenge.

Heh heh, that was great! Shakespeare would be proud... :D

Spong
20-01-10, 19:35

Ouch, my brain hurts http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/smilies/nut.gif
That took longer to read than the rest of the posts in this thread combined.

digitizedboy
20-01-10, 19:39
maybe this is the next step in the evolution of the English language. :p I'd love to see what the Oxford dictionary would look like in 20 years time.

Rai
20-01-10, 20:07
I can't see how that can be right. What with the missing out letters, putting other letters in different orders etc. If they continue to use text 'speak' into their teens, they'll just always use the abbreviations.

I dread to think what this is doing to the English Language. Do other countries have their own text speak?

digitizedboy
20-01-10, 20:14
^ I only know that in Spanish "q" can be used instead of que. But other than that, I dunno.

HappyShannon
20-01-10, 20:35
I can see how it can teach kids in that age group, but imagine what it does to younger kids. :p

ggctuk
20-01-10, 20:48
Shldnt it b lik dis:

Kids who rgulrly use the abbrvi8d lnguage of txt mssgs are actully improvng their ability 2 spell crrectly, reserch sugests.

A study of 8- to 12-yr-olds found tht rther thn damaging reading and writing, "txt spk" is assciatd wth strng literacy skillz.

Reserchrs say txt spk uses word play n requires an awarenss of how sounds relate 2 writtn Englsh.

This link btween txting and litracy has provd a surprise, say reserchrs.

Thse latst findings of an ongoing stdy at the UniverCT of Covntree contradict any expectashun that prlonged exposhur to txting will erde a child's ability to spll.

Goodness gracious me. That's how bad some people my own age write. Ironically, this is all old hat to me, as I've seen an advert looking for an Eglish Techer b4.

jackles
20-01-10, 20:50
Maybe it is because literate kids like to text because they are comfortable communicating in that way...with the written word, and less literate ones like to actually ring someone. (Although that is true of visual and auditory ones too)

Mr.Burns
20-01-10, 20:52

Sadist :p

Rai
20-01-10, 20:55
Maybe it is because literate kids like to text because they are comfortable communicating in that way...with the written word, and less literate ones like to actually ring someone. (Although that is true of visual and auditory ones too)

That could be part of it. It is true that my son and his friends, who are all special needs, do prefer actually talking to each other as they find text typing and reading frustrating. I find though that this helps with their communication skills overall.

However, when my son does use texting, he prefers to spell words out in full and will ask me for the spelling if needs be. When a 'mainstream' person uses text speak he finds it difficult to understand.

ggctuk
20-01-10, 21:00
I seldom use text speak in my texts either. And I've sometimes sratched my head in frustration trying to figure out that text somebody sends me every once in a while, written in fluent text speak.

(it was difficult for me to translate that passage into text speak, BTW)

digitizedboy
20-01-10, 21:04
^ The only reason I use text speak is because I'm really lazy with using all those buttons on my phone lol. But yeah, it is annoying to have to read English that way. I don't have to use text messaging that much though thank God.

xXhayleyroxXx
20-01-10, 21:13
^ The only reason I use text speak is because I'm really lazy with using all those buttons on my phone lol. But yeah, it is annoying to have to read English that way. I don't have to use text messaging that much though thank God.

same, its more convenient - i started doing it because my messages never used to fit in one sending. To say it improves or hinders you is a lie - I've always been one of the best spellers and still have got those skills.

TRhalloween
20-01-10, 21:15
Well maybe it does. Come on, people :p You can't just reject research like that!

jamieoliver22
20-01-10, 21:27
What a load of rubbish. People who use text speech tend to use it everywhere, and their spelling deteriorates dramatically.

xMiSsCrOfTx
20-01-10, 21:41
Yeah, well this is obviously a load of BS. :p

I'm gonna have to agree...

And wtf, 8 to 12 year olds have cell phones these days? I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 16, and my entire family thought that was even too early. What does an 8-12 yr old even need a phone for?

Also, it's a scary thing when your college professor has to remind students not to use text-talk or whatever you call it in essays. People actually substitute 'you' for the letter 'U' frequently enough to where there's a need for that kind of disclaimer?

We are doomed.

AmericanAssassin
20-01-10, 21:42
I don't believe this for a second. Most people spell like idiots via texting. I'm not one of those idiots. Correct grammar for the win! :D

xXhayleyroxXx
20-01-10, 21:45

And wtf, 8 to 12 year olds have cell phones these days? I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 16, and my entire family thought that was even too early. What does an 8-12 yr old even need a phone for?

Also, it's a scary thing when your college professor has to remind students not to use text-talk or whatever you call it in essays. People actually substitute 'you' for the letter 'U' frequently enough to where there's a need for that kind of disclaimer?

We are doomed.

certaintly. I had a phone at 12 - and I just recently did a panto-style performance for middle school children (8-12's exactly), and we had a meet n' greet session where we asked what they were getting for christmas. Touchscreen phones, iphones, ps3's and xbox 360 elites were mentioned, as were bmx's and quadbikes.

At that age i was wanting barbie dolls and makeup.

ggctuk
20-01-10, 21:48

We are doomed.

Well, I had a phone when I was about 14. But I walked home from school, and the way I walked was sometimes a bit rough, specifically those idiots who would always try to run us over with their push bikes.

Sadly, text-speak has broken out over the Internet too. So the problem will spread, and spread, and spread, like a disease. :(

woody543
20-01-10, 21:53
I'm sorry, but no it doesn't, not at all.

Admitedly testing using predictive text can help, as you have to spell it right, allowing for development, but "txt speak" itself. Not a chance!

spikejones
20-01-10, 21:58
I think "txt tlk" should be eradicated with the swiftness now that full qwerty keypad phones are on the market. In fact, the only reason I can see having one of those phones is if you're an avid texter. I can see how txt talk originated with the old school 10 key phones and it would require sometimes 4 presses of a button to get the desired letter. On phones such as that, the "txt tlk" is a more efficient method of communicating via text than to use traditional language. However, now that technology has advanced beyond those stages, writing "later" takes only 5 keystrokes whereas it used to take 10 - and "l8r" would have taken 10 as well.

toxicraider
20-01-10, 22:36
I hate text speak and such, it doesn't take any longer for me, on phone, or typing.
I think the article is talking about deliberate shortenings, rather than simply missing out letters and generally spelling everything totally wrong. I don't understand why people do txt speak on the computer though, I just find it really annoying personally.

Catracoth
20-01-10, 23:19
Texting helps people spell? Right...and video games cure cancer.

da tomb raider!
20-01-10, 23:22
Texting might help improve spelling if one actually spells properly, but otherwise, no, I can't see it helping. Not that I'm the best person to say. I only send a text message once a year (on my birthday).

Catracoth
20-01-10, 23:27
Nothing helps proper spelling like the good 'ole Dictionary. And English teachers. Gotta love English teachers.

Eddie Haskell
20-01-10, 23:47
Texting might help improve spelling if one actually spells properly, but otherwise, no, I can't see it helping. Not that I'm the best person to say. I only send a text message once a year (on my birthday).

I never respond in kind to any of the texts that I receive. Calling and speaking to the person saves time with less work. That's what the phone is supposed to do.

Rai
21-01-10, 00:09
Nothing helps proper spelling like the good 'ole Dictionary. And English teachers. Gotta love English teachers.

My English teacher was actually Italian. Not really a problem if she had perfect English herself. Half the class had a problem understanding her. :vlol:

Catracoth
21-01-10, 00:10
My English teacher is a total grammar Nazi (and I use that label in a positive manner) and I love her for it. I learn a lot from her and I tend to follow in her footsteps.