PDA

View Full Version : Are you a leader?

Shark_Blade
21-01-10, 03:59
A leader by its meaning is one who goes first and leads by example, so that others are motivated to follow him. A leader is a person who influences a group of people towards the achievement of a goal.

So be it at home, or school, at work, in a group or among your friends, are you a leader?

Paddy
21-01-10, 04:03
I was a bit of a team leader doing gardening projects at college a couple years ago, helped them do the harder tasks and that sort of stuff. It was about the teams ability to work well together :)

spikejones
21-01-10, 04:21
ive held leadership roles before. it can have its rewards when things go well, but it can surely be a burden at times as well. sometimes you have to be the guy that no one likes in order to get things done. well.. not always. kinda depends on the people you are leading and what their attitude is. generally if you have the respect of those you are "in charge" of - things run fairly smooth most of the time.

ajrich17901
21-01-10, 04:48
Me? Heck no lol I'd crumble under pressure I'm sure so ..yea haha

mau3genius
21-01-10, 05:08
I like to do things my way. So yeah, I tend to be a leader, but a subtle one at that. It's like I present what I want merely as an idea/opinion, being sure it makes a different impact according to the person I'm trying to convince. And eventually, it ends up as a group consensus.

scoopy_loopy
21-01-10, 05:13
Im waiting for Cat's post :cln:

aktrekker
21-01-10, 05:48
Being named a lead or having a lead position does not make you a leader.
A true leader inspires the people around them to do their best and achieve their goals. It's not just showing people what to do by example. It's motivating people, encouraging them, finding their strengths, and helping them to reach their potential.

There are very few true leaders in the world today. Most of them you never hear about.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 06:38
Not really, i just do my own thing :pi:

Alex Shepherd
21-01-10, 07:40
I am a leader for the grade 5 basketball player... So yeah and you're not gonna feel so happy about it when they lose... AT ALL!!!!!

Raider Man

Aranara
21-01-10, 08:41
I'm always the leader when it comes to school projects because I'm the only one who doesn't get nervous when I need to present it in fron of the class.
But in my small group (me and my best friend), nobody is leader :p

"I'm not the leader of men
Since I preffer to follow." - Nickelback

Little-Lara
21-01-10, 09:02
IMO this thread is pretty generalistic since leadership is fleeting and could change from situation to situation. I will bite. I was sometimes the leader in my high school art classes, and a few times for science projects.

I'll never b the leader at work. I tried that, the workload falls hardest on leaders. :ton:

Archetype
21-01-10, 09:56
I've had to be sometimes, I really don't like it though. Just can't stand everyone asking me things.

almayah
21-01-10, 10:00
I could say that in my class ;);)

jaywalker
21-01-10, 10:06
I never thought as myself as one, but years later bumped into the mums of one of my school friends who spent a wee while explaining to me how much she loved the fact i kept her daughter on straight and narrow and was such a focus for all the group of friends i had etc.. and that when i left for another school how the group fell apart until reforming at college a few years later and instantly took affect again.

Was surreal being told that but i guess it means i was a natural leader just subtle about it :)

Lee croft
21-01-10, 10:13
No but i have tried but my size doesnt let me get there i have the loud mouth for a leader though....like every other Morris in this household...:whi:

XBOXCroft
21-01-10, 10:21
I was always a leader from the first grade to the fifth grade. But I don't think I am.

digitizedboy
21-01-10, 10:35
I'm a follower

I wished I was a leader though, those types always succeed in life. I wouldn't even know where to begin, I really couldn't imagine a world full of Adams, it would crumble. lol

Atlantean-Squid
21-01-10, 10:46
Sometimes I have to be, but I don't like the responsibility.

Encore
21-01-10, 12:00
Nope. Various reasons for that:
- My quiet personality
- My diplomatic style of relating with other people (I simply don't like authoritary people and could never be like that)
- My disliking of too much responsibility (I am a sloppy Sagittarius :whi:)

Eddie Haskell
21-01-10, 12:09
I was a leader of men, and now I am relegated to being led by a woman... :D

xXhayleyroxXx
21-01-10, 12:21
I'm always the leader when it comes to school projects because I'm the only one who doesn't get nervous when I need to present it in fron of the class.
But in my small group (me and my best friend), nobody is leader :p

"I'm not the leader of men
Since I preffer to follow." - Nickelback

omg you beat me to quoting that song :p it's one of my favourites

basically among my friends I'm the leader - it was confirmed the other day when they told me they don't talk much when I'm off school!
In class, I prefer to follow - my indescision and low self esteem bring me down so much.
Out-side of school I'm both a leader and a follower - i'm unique and do my own thing, and I would like to think I motivate people - but i follow my mum/dad/gran's advice.
Fashion-wise I have the guts to wear what i want so I'm a leader in that - but that's just a small thing.

I'm weird- im confident & unconfident - it depends on the situation.
Once my adrenaline gets flowing i'm a leader but if i'm feeling shy or indescive i'm a follower.

I pretty much live up to those nickelback lyrics :p

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 12:37

The natural order always restores itself. :D

I have been a leader. I enjoy it.

Eddie Haskell
21-01-10, 12:40
The natural order always restores itself. :D

I have been a leader. I enjoy it.

And you know... I like it. No worries at all, she handles everything. Except taking the garbage out... :(

TTV
21-01-10, 12:42
I'm told I'm a good leader. But as far as stepping up to the roll; I only do it when necessary. It's either that or I'm hiding in the back of the group observing.

Reggie
21-01-10, 12:47
I've quite often ended up in positions of leadership because when I spot something I'm interested in, I get really enthusiastic about it and people often see that and allow me to be in position where I can put the keeness to good use. I've learnt to tone myself down a bit though because I have been known to become quite dogmatic over something - particularly if its an issue regarding design.

MiCkiZ88
21-01-10, 13:11
Leader all the way, and I dislike being in a position where I cannot say much about how the work is being done. I've always been a poor follower.

lara c. fan
21-01-10, 16:18
Hell no.

My answer in a nutshell :)

HappyShannon
21-01-10, 16:22
Too shy to be the leader :D

I'm co-leader :)

I take orders but I make sure that they are done by those who aren't leaders :mis:

AmericanAssassin
21-01-10, 16:23
I tend to stick to myself, for the most part. Therefore, I guess I'm neither a leader nor a follower. ;)

robm_2007
21-01-10, 18:41
i am in no way a leader. i am a follower. but in school class groups i might give ideas to the leader, but i would never volunteer to be the leader.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
21-01-10, 18:44
I'm a control freak by nature, so I typically ease myself into a leadership role whenever possible. Sometimes it's not even a conscious decision.

AmericanAssassin
21-01-10, 19:01

In my relationships, I tend to take control. I've never had a girlfriend control me at all. Perhaps, that's why they don't last. :p

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 19:05
I tend to be a bit dominant and controlling :P

bloodstormaoa
21-01-10, 19:05
I've been in leadership roles before, but it's not something I strive to be. I seem to just fall into the position of leader and do very well at it but If it's a choice, I gladly follow. I don't feel the need to lead EVERYTHING! :)

jackles
21-01-10, 19:10
Neither..I am a crap follower because I hate doing the same as anyone else and I am far too lazy to lead.

I am apart...just me.

Rai
21-01-10, 19:30
I dunno if I could be bothered with being a leader. I'm only a follower under certain circumstances, like in a work situation and is necesary. In my personal life I just go with the flow. In relationships I have had a tendency, in the past, to allow myself to follow and it bothers the hell out of me, so I'm gonna be more assertive. The idea is to be a team right?

spikejones
21-01-10, 21:48
Being named a lead or having a lead position does not make you a leader.
A true leader inspires the people around them to do their best and achieve their goals. It's not just showing people what to do by example. It's motivating people, encouraging them, finding their strengths, and helping them to reach their potential.

There are very few true leaders in the world today. Most of them you never hear about.
this is a relevant point. something I try to strive for as a faction leader in PWI.
I'll never b the leader at work. I tried that, the workload falls hardest on leaders. :ton:

as a manager, one of your duties is to relegate duties to your subordinates. However well you may be at doing your own job, goals may not always be met due to the subordinates lack of proficiency or insubordination. when this happens, it is the lead person who takes the initial heat. however, **** rolls down hill. By that I mean its time for a meeting....

TRfan23
21-01-10, 21:52
Nope I'm always the pawn in society ;)

If I become a leader I'd panic, as I'll need exact instructions on what to do.

spikejones
21-01-10, 21:55
If I become a leader I'd panic, as I'll need exact instructions on what to do.

you wouldnt be leading then :ton:

Little-Lara
21-01-10, 22:07
as a manager, one of your duties is to relegate duties to your subordinates. However well you may be at doing your own job, goals may not always be met due to the subordinates lack of proficiency or insubordination. when this happens, it is the lead person who takes the initial heat. however, **** rolls down hill. By that I mean its time for a meeting....

True.
and lmao :vlol: I'll remember this if I take charge in the future.

TRfan23
21-01-10, 22:11
you wouldnt be leading then :ton:

LOL the instructions would be coming from my brain, but they won't process well, and I should have written 'became' not 'become' lol. I need to proof read my writing sometimes ;)

Squibbly
21-01-10, 22:47
At work I am. Outside of work, not really. Only when I need to be.

tombraiderluka
21-01-10, 22:49
Yes in bed

da tomb raider!
21-01-10, 22:56
Definitely not. I'm more of a doormat than anything else.

Shauni
22-01-10, 02:20
I'm only a leader if we're all doing something I'm good at, and no one else can do it as good. But if I'm not needed to be a leader, I'm totally a follower. I'll be your pretty little shadow. xD

tranniversary119
22-01-10, 02:22
Definitely not. I'm more of a doormat than anything else.

Sadly, the same for me.

just*raidin*tomb
22-01-10, 02:28
@Tombraiderluka: :vlol:
I've always thought of myself as a loner, someone who doesn't want to follow anyone or lead. But since I'm the new drum major of my band, I guess you definately could call me a leader. :)

irjudd
22-01-10, 02:31
I prefer to be the stick that stirs the pot.