PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressants

LaraLuvrrr
21-01-10, 07:12
Anyone ever taken them before? If so...

Did you feel they helped? And how long did you take them for?

T-Sex
21-01-10, 07:18
My friend was taking them once and dared me to take some, which i did. I threw up :p

shadow_fire
21-01-10, 07:37
yeah Ive taken them for my depression. But I stopped taking them. I hated them, and what they represented. I haved having to rely on drugs to feel better about myself and the world around me...or to feel at aoll. I cant recall if they actually worked or not. I guess they did some what. only reason I took them in the first place was they threatend it was that or the hospital.

I think I started taking them when I was 12 and stopped when I turned 13.

Alex Shepherd
21-01-10, 07:38
What does it do anyway?!! :p I hope its not an embaressed question :o

Raider Man

shadow_fire
21-01-10, 07:41
Well my mom always called them my happy pills. I suppose they are ment to make you feel less drepressed.

Its like a drug basically.

CerebralAssassin
21-01-10, 07:42
took em once or twice...turned me into a ****ing zombie!(and I took the mild ones too).meh...one is better off seeking therapy.

Alex Shepherd
21-01-10, 07:43
So better to stay away from it :p

Raider Man

shadow_fire
21-01-10, 07:47
took em once or twice...turned me into a ****ing zombie!(and I took the mild ones too).meh...one is better off seeking therapy.

but sometimes therapy just dont cut it.

that that im saying those pillz are the cure either...they not.

Ilie_Fusarau
21-01-10, 07:54
Anyone ever taken them before? If so...
Did you feel they helped? And how long did you take them for?
If by help you mean , apathy then yes they helped me become completely apathetic (I can't really get angry or love anymore) , but I was so desperate at that time that I think I would have ended up killing myself if it wasn't for them . Anyway I guess it depends on the dosage ,the period of time you take them and brand (?) but I would personally wouldn't recommend them because they changed me completely , but that doesn't mean they can't help you but I have to mention that I am still dumb and incapable to react as I should or I start crying even at cartoons , after more than 1 year since I'm off them . I just hope I'll eventually get better even though I know the truth , that it's unlikely too happen . Hope my experience will help you with your decision :hug: .
I can absolutely relate .

marla_biggs
21-01-10, 08:38
Is it true they make you gain weight?

Aranara
21-01-10, 08:39
I never take antidepressants. I have my moments when I just want to die, but that doesn't mean I have to stuff pills down my throat.

Little-Lara
21-01-10, 08:49
I am actually glad this thread was started because I am seriously considering trying them out. I'm still debating, plus I don't have health insurance right now. I rely on Dove's chocolate now, and honestly no kidding, it does help halfway. I have to eat one square before nighttime, otherwise I'll have a horrible night. So I use that as a prescription at least until I get some health insurance.

My bro takes antidepressants and that really helps him.

TRLegendLuver
21-01-10, 08:52
I'm on 2 right now: Lamictal and Pexeva. I've on at least 7 different anti-depressants the last two years and I desperately need them to work out because I desperately need them, but my psychiatrists can't figure out why they help for only a short time then stop.

Because of terrible experiences in my life, I have some permanent brain damage.

DREWY
21-01-10, 10:38
I think medicines should be used as a last resort, seek therepy or other alternatives first. Better to try and resolve, or curb, a problem than to cover over it and hope it goes away. Any no self subscription of medication either, a professional is trained in what and when to take drugs.

Just my two cents worth.

Paddy
21-01-10, 10:39
I think medicines should be used as a last resort, seek therepy or other alternatives first. Better to try and resolve, or curb, a problem than to cover over it and hope it goes away. Any no self subscription of medication either, a professional is trained in what and when to take drugs.

Just my two cents worth.

:tmb: couldnt agree more

digitizedboy
21-01-10, 10:50
I took some called Seroxat and I had strong feelings of suicide like two-fold. I was really dissapointed because I was expecting them to work, to make me feel jolly and to make me appreciate life. It never happened, plus all those side effects were annoying. Like feeling cold inside in the morning, and the horrible taste in the mouth. It was more like having a hangover. :|

I don't think we should take things for granted because there's really no such thing as "magic pills". Only the placebo kind.

Punaxe
21-01-10, 10:51
If by help you mean , apathy then yes they helped me become completely apathetic (I can't really get angry or love anymore) , but I was so desperate at that time that I think I would have ended up killing myself if it wasn't for them . Anyway I guess it depends on the dosage ,the period of time you take them and brand (?) but I would personally wouldn't recommend them because they changed me completely , but that doesn't mean they can't help you but I have to mention that I am still dumb and incapable to react as I should or I start crying even at cartoons , after more than 1 year since I'm off them . I just hope I'll eventually get better even though I know the truth , that it's unlikely too happen . Hope my experience will help you with your decision :hug: .
(...)

I have a very similar experience. When I was diagnosed with depression, I was immediately given pills. Whether or not this was the right idea I'm not sure, but they did work - at least, after they upped the dose to 300mg Efexor, an SNRI (working on two neurotransmitters, rather than one). They worked in the sense that indeed, while I was no longer feeling majorly depressed all the time, I felt apathetic instead: no emotion whatsoever. At the time, this was the lesser of two evils and also in my case it may well have saved my life.
When I had moved out and started feeling better, I tried to slowly lower the dosage. As a result of this I unfortunately I fell back into depression. After this, the old dosage didn't work anymore and it had to be upped to the maximum allowed. This worked again as described above, but the side-effects were now so severe that at some point, about a year later, I couldn't see the advantages anymore and I decided to quit cold turkey.
A dangerous thing to do, but it turned out to have been the best thing in years. I could feel emotions and enjoy life again. But, as with Ilie Fusarau, I'm not free of the side-effects yet and have quite a recovery path still ahead of me. I still suffer from memory loss, concentration problems and excessive sweating (though both are gradually getting better) and need to re-train myself not to cry or laugh at every even remotely emotional moment.
I've also been off of them for over a year now, but I do notice improvements. All doctors tell me the effects are non-permanent, so, Ilie Fusarau, keep hope, as do I. :)

Anyway if it can be done without medication, I would always urge people to try that first. But, pills can be life-savers if it comes down to it.

(Similar post of mine in another thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3786582&postcount=43).)

I took some called Seroxat and I had strong feelings of suicide like two-fold. I was really dissapointed because I was expecting them to work, to make me feel jolly and to make me appreciate life. It never happened, plus all those side effects were annoying. Like feeling cold inside in the morning, and the horrible taste in the mouth. It was more like having a hangover. :|

I don't think we should take things for granted because there's really no such thing as "magic pills". Only the placebo kind.

Indeed antidepressants have an increase of what they try to remedy as one of the possible side-effects. As far as I know this is a fairly rare one, though.

Encore
21-01-10, 11:48
^ I think it has been proven by some doctors that the risk of such side effect is VERY big in teenagers. I saw it on TV though, can't provide a link.

Just my two cents worth.

The irony is that most therapists will resort to medicating you. ;)

I was prescribed anti depressants but never took them. Too many stories (this thread showing some examples). I prefer to deal with my pain than to become an emotionless zombie. And I did manage to get better without them, (at least by comparison); the only thing left from my depression is the social anxiety but somehow I doubt the anti-depressants would solve that issue alone.

MattTR
21-01-10, 12:19
I had a friend back in my high school days who took AD's. They're not good at all, I don't want to go into detail, but they really mess with you if they have bad effects.. :( It's horrible, so stay away if you have the chance..

Basically they say 'depression' is a chemical imbalance in the brain and this is suppose to stimulate your brain waves and make you function properly. But I don't buy it. :rolleyes:

Tombraiderx08
21-01-10, 12:20
Is it true they make you gain weight? They can, they can make you lose weight too :S, i've been off and on them like, my whole life? xD I hate them, and my dr, and I want a pill free life :)

xXhayleyroxXx
21-01-10, 12:24
my mum takes them - well i'm not sure if she still does

i probabaly do need to take them but... I wouldn't feel like me

MattTR
21-01-10, 12:32
my mum takes them - well i'm not sure if she still does

i probabaly do need to take them but... I wouldn't feel like me

Why would you need to take them? If you don't feel like taking them, then don't. :)

Depression I believe can be self cured.

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 12:33
I think some of the anecdotal information in this thread is downright dangerous. Everyone has felt "depressed" at some point. That doesn't mean they suffer from depression, and the idea that someone might fail to treat a potentially dangerous condition because someone said "I like to work out my problems myself without drugs" scares me. There is no way on this forum to equate one's circumstances to another's, so a "one size fits all approach" is simply not correct. Also, side effects of drugs vary greatly from person to person, so "they made me feel xxxx" is not necessarily indicative of another's reaction to the meds.

Depression isn't "problems." It's a debilitating symptom of mental illness and by that I don't mean "crazy." The brain is ill.

I would recommend doing some reading and the best place to start is Daniel Amen, MD. Change Your Brain, Change Your Life (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812929985/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0399150366&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=032PH0MQDS0VSTP7FZDC)

xXhayleyroxXx
21-01-10, 12:36
Why would you need to take them? If you don't feel like taking them, then don't. :)

I've been depressed for years - i just do things to take my mind off it :p

MattTR
21-01-10, 12:40
I've been depressed for years - i just do things to take my mind off it :p

That's what you're suppose to do, that and keep a positive mind set. :tmb:

xXhayleyroxXx
21-01-10, 12:41
That's what you're suppose to do, that and keep a positive mind set. :tmb:

I'll try harder :) I need to get rid of what depresses me - which should happen when i leave for college :p

Encore
21-01-10, 12:46
I think some of the anecdotal information in this thread is downright dangerous. Everyone has felt "depressed" at some point. That doesn't mean they suffer from depression, and the idea that someone might fail to treat a potentially dangerous condition because someone said "I like to work out my problems myself without drugs" scares me.

I just assumed that the people who mentioned being depressed on this thread were diagnosed with it (I was).

And I do believe it's possible to cure a diagnosed depression without medication. What's so outrageous about this claim? No matter what people will say about depression, it's a disease of the mind, and with the power of your mind you CAN cure it. This is where all therapy should be directed, also because becoming aware of this fact makes you realize that you have a lot more power in your hands than what you (in a state of depression) like to think. To lay all responsability on a miracle pill to alter your emotions is basically to hide your issues under a "carpet".

In case you were questioning my post as well as others, well, my only advice is: don't judge a situation before you know about it.

Love2Raid
21-01-10, 12:49

This is a ´dangerous´ thing to say, Matt. People who suffer from major depression are already reluctant to seek any aid. So when you say it can be self-cured, it's not helping. Depression can't be self-cured. Depressed people are stuck in a deep, dark pit with no ladder or rope to get out. Someone needs to give that to them, but they still need to climb out on their own strength.

hera7days
21-01-10, 12:58
I'm on anti-depressants now (very, very small dosage), and they are the best thing that's ever happened to me. (Yes, even more than playing Tomb Raider :p )

Before, I wasn't necessarily unhappy, but everything seemed like it would take too much effort to do, and I always thought, there's no way whatever I do will be good enough, so why bother? Anti-depressants got rid of that attitude. I'm now doing better in school, I have a job, and I'm finding it easier to talk to people- although I'm still shy.

I was prescribed anti depressants but never took them. Too many stories (this thread showing some examples). I prefer to deal with my pain than to become an emotionless zombie.

In my experience, I only became an emotionless zombie halfway. Most of the bad, unproductive emotions were stripped away. Like feeling dread over having to do what should be a mundane task. On top of that, I actually feel like good emotions were increased. Like, I appreciate little things much more.

I'm not trying to say, oh yeah, everyone who has depression should totally get on this stuff. 'Cause, y'know, everyone's different, so some people might be helped more by counseling or something. In fact, I actually think counseling would be ideal, because, like, what if you couldn't rely on pills for some reason? Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience, and show that anti-depressants can actually be good in some cases. :)

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 13:01
Depression isn't being "unhappy." Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication may be required.

I highly recommend Dr. Amen's book. It is an eye-opening and practical "user's guide" for your brain.

digitizedboy
21-01-10, 13:06
Indeed antidepressants have an increase of what they try to remedy as one of the possible side-effects. As far as I know this is a fairly rare one, though.

I think the thing is seroxat itself has been well documented to having a darker side to it. That's why most GPs recommend starting people on other drugs like Efexor and Fluoxitine now because they have better results.

Like everyone says though, people react differently to these meds. I was one of the unlucky ones.

Encore
21-01-10, 13:07
I'm not saying "drugs don't cure depression".
I'm simply saying it's POSSIBLE to cure depression without them. And that's that..

I think that whenever this subject arises in the forum, a lot of members are way too judgmental towards others. Just remember you don't know anything about the lives of most members here.

Depression isn't being "unhappy." Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Medication may be required.

I highly recommend Dr. Amen's book. It is an eye-opening and practical "user's guide" for your brain.

You basically ignored my post but ok. :p

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 13:14
And what did you say that was so earth-shattering that would have changed my general reply to the thread? http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/smilies/20.gif

Encore
21-01-10, 13:18
Wow... Hum.. OK, I thought this was a discussion. I adressed you directly in my post as a reply to yours so I was naive enough to think you'd have something to add. But if you just prefer to keep repeating your point go ahead. :)

Lavinder
21-01-10, 13:18
I believe if you are still depressed after talking to a psychiatrist for a long period of time and the doctor actually takes time to analyse your condition and not throw you the latest anti depressant that has come out or the cheapest option, then people should use them.

I'm very bitter about them - because my mother has been on and off loads of them for years and I personally think they've made her worse. Side effects such as migraines, feeling unwell all the time, insomnia, mood swings, being really quiet and having no enthusiasm for anything on different types have made my mother hell to live with.

:mad:

AmericanAssassin
21-01-10, 13:41
I was on them for a couple of months. They helped tremendously. I'm currently not taking them. It sucks. :pi:

Siberian Tiger
21-01-10, 13:44
I've been close to being offered anti-depressants from my doctor, but was told it's a last resort and that I should be looking into alternative ways to be treated. I'm sure that these drugs are definitely not what you want to be on, I mean this is like diagnosing your emotions as a disease and I know how harmful they can be. My Mother used to take them and it caused her some serious damage. Look up the side effects of taking these, it's not pretty.

AmericanAssassin
21-01-10, 13:53
Look up the side effects of taking these, it's not pretty.

Yeah, I gained 25 pounds in just over a month. :cen:

NemesisxAngelus
21-01-10, 13:59
This is a ´dangerous´ thing to say, Matt. People who suffer from major depression are already reluctant to seek any aid. So when you say it can be self-cured, it's not helping. Depression can't be self-cured. Depressed people are stuck in a deep, dark pit with no ladder or rope to get out. Someone needs to give that to them, but they still need to climb out on their own strength.
Or doctors who don't give up on you like what's always the case with me. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine takes them and she turned into a zombie and it also caused her amnesia. She has here and there gaps from a few years ago, I barely can remember she's the same girl I used to know. I'm already glad enough she still knows who I am. :o

Simochka
21-01-10, 14:06
Well I take Lamictal against my epilepsy. Some take it against depression.
The only difference I notice is I look angrier. I don't hide behind a fake smile or laugh.
But they don't help against my depression. But that's not why I got them anyway

Punaxe
21-01-10, 14:10
I'm not saying "drugs don't cure depression".
I'm simply saying it's POSSIBLE to cure depression without them. And that's that.. (...)

It's not always possible without meds, sometimes it really is a physical condition, and probably quite often, the very nature of depression makes it impossible for sufferers to do something about it even if it would help them.
If you can handle it without drugs, do it - but in many cases, drugs are a good idea.

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 14:13
Wow... Hum.. OK, I thought this was a discussion. I adressed you directly in my post as a reply to yours so I was naive enough to think you'd have something to add. But if you just prefer to keep repeating your point go ahead. :)

My apologies. I did miss that post. I can only plead age.

But it seems we are in agreement: don't just a situation if you don't know about it. We have no idea why the OP is asking about antidepressants. For all we know s/he (or a friend) is having recurrent thoughts about suicide. Therefore I think posts saying "think happy thoughts" to be incredibly naive and possibly life threatening.

The problem with telling people you can "will" yourself out of true depression is that many people cannot do it. Therefore you're adding "failure" to an already bad situation. "I'm not even strong enough to help myself when I try." :(

I'm not advocating medication as an only course of action, just not listening to random comments on teh internets regarding a potential serious condition. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/smilies/57.gif

AGain, apologies for missing your post. It was not intentional.

Encore
21-01-10, 14:15
Punaxe: Yeah, but I didn't really mean to sound like you can cure yourself, my point is mostly that therapists should not resort to medication all the time, and that the therapy itself should be improved beyond just the drugs. I think it should focus more on stimulating the persons capabilities again, instead of simply inhibiting the "bad thoughts".

But Dennis, you're right, saying "you shouldn't take drugs" is also judgmental, we don't know the stories behind each of our posts.

toxicraider
21-01-10, 16:30
I think some of the anecdotal information in this thread is downright dangerous. Everyone has felt "depressed" at some point. That doesn't mean they suffer from depression, and the idea that someone might fail to treat a potentially dangerous condition because someone said "I like to work out my problems myself without drugs" scares me. There is no way on this forum to equate one's circumstances to another's, so a "one size fits all approach" is simply not correct. Also, side effects of drugs vary greatly from person to person, so "they made me feel xxxx" is not necessarily indicative of another's reaction to the meds.

Depression isn't "problems." It's a debilitating symptom of mental illness and by that I don't mean "crazy." The brain is ill.

I would recommend doing some reading and the best place to start is Daniel Amen, MD. Change Your Brain, Change Your Life (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812929985/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0399150366&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=032PH0MQDS0VSTP7FZDC)

Don't Anti-depressants take ages to start working?
Sorry for the unhelpfulness, I don't have experience with them myself. I agree with Dennis' Mom in that they aren't just for moments of feeling down, especially because they take so long to work, that anyone with just a period of feeling down wouldn't benefit from them. (Not referring to the OP, just replying to the quoted)

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 16:37
It depends on how they work. I'm not very familiar with depressants, but I know with ADD medication there are outright stimulants like Ritalin/Adderall/Concerta, and there are others like Stratera that try to convince your brain to make its own chemicals. Stratera can take up to six weeks to work (if it does. It didn't help much with Douglas.)

So if there are similar antidepressant types, there may be some that take time for full effect. I know that some are dangerous to stop taking cold turkey, like Prozac. You must gradually reduce the dosage.

toxicraider
21-01-10, 16:40
It depends on how they work. I'm not very familiar with depressants, but I know with ADD medication there are outright stimulants like Ritalin/Adderall/Concerta, and there are others like Stratera that try to convince your brain to make its own chemicals. Stratera can take up to six weeks to work (if it does. It didn't help much with Douglas.)

So if there are similar antidepressant types, there may be some that take time for full effect. I know that some are dangerous to stop taking cold turkey, like Prozac. You must gradually reduce the dosage.

Oh, I see.
I'd imagine the side effects would make patients feel a lot worse for a short while, which would be very dangerous unless absolutely necessary.

Dennis's Mom
21-01-10, 17:35
Oh, I see.
I'd imagine the side effects would make patients feel a lot worse for a short while, which would be very dangerous unless absolutely necessary.

If they suffer from side effects. I can honestly say I've never experienced a drug's side effect. I don't get sleepy, nauseous, etc.

toxicraider
21-01-10, 17:44
If they suffer from side effects. I can honestly say I've never experienced a drug's side effect. I don't get sleepy, nauseous, etc.

Fortunately, I've never taken enough medication to have much experience, but antibiotics have made me feel a bit ill for long periods of time. It was for acne, which would make one question whether it was at all worth the improved self-esteem. I think it is, personally, but obviously if the side effects were more serious, it would be different.
Anyway, I'm being a bit off topic, sorry OP. :o
It varies individually, and I think it's important to see what the doctor recommends for the individual, although obviously, they won't know the whole story.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 17:49
I think that antidepressants are mainly just a placebo, actually

Lavinder
21-01-10, 17:52

That's bull ;).

Larson_1988
21-01-10, 17:53
That's not true T-Sex, i've been using several types of antidepressants and trust me, it does make a huge difference if you're not using it.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 17:54
That's not true T-Sex, i've been using several types of antidepressants and trust me, it does make a huge difference if you're not using it.

Doesnt really prove its not a placebo. It might have some effect, but probabaly not as big as a doctor would tell you. I have no ground to prove myself right though :p

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 17:56

That's bull ;).

I have to agree with Lavinder here.

I have been on several different ones but what I find is that they help best in combination with therapy, not just by themselves.
It isn't a miracle pill that takes all your problems away.

Lavinder
21-01-10, 17:59
Doesnt really prove its not a placebo. It might have some effect, but probabaly not as big as a doctor would tell you. I have no ground to prove myself right though :p

How come when people come off them they have severe suicidal tendencies for the first 3 months, and headshocks etc. :rolleyes:

toxicraider
21-01-10, 18:01

Using actual drugs is proven 2-3 times more effective than using placebo's, which would indicate they are more than just a placebo themselves. :)

Laralissa
21-01-10, 18:02
I was on Fluoxetine (Prozac) for about two years (about a year and a half ago now) combined with counseling. The pills deffinitely work - they arent a complete substitute for obvious lifestyle choices such as being more socially active and such, but they do give you a certain boost and supress certain emotions (mainly the negative ones in my case). I decided to come off them after deciding I was strong enough to make it without them and lasted about a year. However, back in February I had an extremely bad patch where I had to be signed off work/college etc - I started taking fluoxetine again and its deffinitely helped. I feel less anxious than I would if I didnt take them, and my shaking has significantly decreased.

Eventually I would like to go pill-free but for now its the support I need. Contrary to belief, they arent addictive and personally Ive had no negative side effects so I say if you feel you need them, dont be ashamed to take them.

Larson_1988
21-01-10, 18:02
How come when people come off them they have severe suicidal tendencies for the first 3 months, and headshocks etc. :rolleyes:

Uhuh, i fell into a really deep depression when i was 13, started on meds and then quit. And was even lower which i did not think was possible.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:03

Because theyre mentally unstable :rolleyes: If it doesnt keep depression away or makes it worse, theres no point taking it because youll just slip back into depression anyway.

Lavinder
21-01-10, 18:07
Because theyre mentally unstable :rolleyes: If it doesnt keep depression away or makes it worse, theres no point taking it because youll just slip back into depression anyway.

It's nothing to do with that - anti depressants are strong drugs. It insults me that you claim them to be placebo's :mad:.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:09
It's nothing to do with that - anti depressants are strong drugs. It insults me that you claim them to be placebo's :mad:.

Sharing a theory about a random item = a personal insult to you.

Yeah, ok :whi:

Lavinder
21-01-10, 18:10
Ok then, how about if a member of your family gets cancer and I claim that cancer does not really exist. :)

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 18:10
Ok then, how about if a member of your family gets cancer and I claim that cancer does not really exist. :)

Didn't you know that radiation treatment is only a placebo :rolleyes:

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:12

I never said depression doesnt exist, and radiation therapy actually works. Cancer isnt comparable to depression anyway. Youre lucky i dont have cancer, because otherwise i could make this brilliantly awkward ;)

Laralissa
21-01-10, 18:14
I cant even begin to describe how stupid some of these posts sound. Unless you've had deppression and used anti-deppressants, how on earth can you say theyre placebos/dont work?

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:16
I cant even begin to describe how stupid some of these posts sound. Unless you've had deppression and used anti-deppressants, how on earth can you say theyre placebos/dont work?

Ive had depression, but i havent used anti depressants. I got over it in several months without the help of anything other than telling myself that its stupid to be depressed, which worked pretty well :pi:

Laralissa
21-01-10, 18:17
Ive had depression, but i havent used anti depressants. I got over it in several months without the help of anything other than telling myself that its stupid to be depressed, which worked pretty well :pi:

Then goody for you, but some of us arent that lucky. Just because you managed to pull through doesnt mean that antidepressants dont also help.

Edit: I also have to say that calling deppression 'stupid' is just ignorant beyond belief. Clearly what you went through couldn't have been that overwhelming, but for some of us it's not as easy to just shake it off. Im not going to start an argument over whether what you went through was deppression or not, but it's my belief that if you were able to get over it by thinking it was pointless then it couldnt have been all that bad.

Larson_1988
21-01-10, 18:18

Well, then you were apparently not heavily affected by it. Depression is not something you usually overcome by yourself. And that, i know.

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 18:18

It's stupid to be depressed?
I'm sorry to say this but that is a really ignorant comment.
All I can do is shake my head here in dismay :(

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:19
Well, then you were apparently not heavily affected by it. Depression is not something you usually overcome by yourself. And that, i know.

I told myself that i had nothing to be depressed about and that people in poor countries had it much much worse than i ever would.

It's stupid to be depressed?
I'm sorry to say this but that is a really ignorant comment.
All I can do is shake my head here in dismay :(

No it isnt, but telling myself it was made me feel better

shadow_fire
21-01-10, 18:21
I have been diagnosed with depression, and I have had a few failed attemps at suicide attemps, as well as eating disorders. I think in two months...well I know... I ate excatly One Banana and Half a lettice sandwich that my mates forced me to eat, after I collapsed at school and refused to go see the school nurse.
hence why I was on antidepressants. It was that or the hospital aparently.

Now my "antidepressant" is/was music. Nelly Furtado's music to be exact. Hence why I am a major fan of her, it feels like I owe her my life or something
Might sound stupid, but its true, I can safely say that I wouldnt be here if not for her music....dunno why hers but it is so.
I just can put on anything of her's and just drift away and not be me for a few minutes or so. We use to live on a farm and I would go out into the bush, climb the highest tree, put it on close my eyes and listen to the music. It felt like I was actually free. Like I could just float away, and nothing was wrong. I wasnt me, I didnt exist.
There was a time when I actually became totaly dependant on it....sounds crazy and hard to believe I know.
Some one threatend to take away my Ipod and sterio as punishment for skipping school, and my hands would shake and I had a panic attack just thinking about it.
I was going through a really dark time, actually still am
So I guess music is my drug. And unlike others who say that, it is actually true for me. My hands are just shaking just thinking about it now.

I think I am still reliant on it, it still helps me to forget, even if its just for 3.45 or however long the song is.

Dunno, does sound stupid to others I guess

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:22
See, shadow fire has the right idea :tmb:

TRhalloween
21-01-10, 18:22
telling myself that its stupid to be depressed, which worked pretty well :pi:

What? Then you clearly didn't have depression.

shadow_fire
21-01-10, 18:23
See, shadow fire has the right idea :tmb:

how do you mean?

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:23
What? Then you clearly didn't have depression.

I was diagnosed with it.

how do you mean?

Using something other than drugs to help with depression, like music

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 18:24
Shadow Fire - Yes music can help with depression, it helps me too :)

Laralissa
21-01-10, 18:24
I was diagnosed with it.

Misdiagnosis's happen all the time. And lets face it, with someones feelings its hard to be sure.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:25
Misdiagnosis's happen all the time. And lets face it, with someones feelings its hard to be sure.

Maybe i wasnt then, but i really did feel like how it was described to me.

shadow_fire
21-01-10, 18:25
Good to see Im not the only one with the music thing.

Well, I think there can be different forms of depression, and some people will have different ways of dealing with it...I guess. On here I think its too hard to point at someone and say, well thats not how you deal with it you must not have had depression, or you were misdiagnosed.
We dont know what that person has been through, and everyone is different, and I guess it will effect them indifferent ways, as well as how they deal with that depression.

TRhalloween
21-01-10, 18:27
I was diagnosed with it.

But you can't just tell yourself it's stupid to get rid of it. it's a disorder, you can't just tell an anorexic person "You're not fat". Though if that did work for you, you do have to accept that anti-depressants work for some people like self-assurance worked for you and that they're not placebos.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:28
But you can't just tell yourself it's stupid to get rid of it. it's a disorder, you can't just tell an anorexic person "You're not fat". Though if that did work for you, you do have to accept that anti-depressants work for some people like self-assurance worked for you and that they're not placebos.

I didnt magically remove it by saying it was stupid. It was a mix of both self assurance and lots of things like games, music, and other random media i like :p

Laralissa
21-01-10, 18:29
But you can't just tell yourself it's stupid to get rid of it. it's a disorder, you can't just tell an anorexic person "You're not fat".

Perfect example, couldn't have put it better :)

Edit: @T-sex - ah yes... maybe thats where I went wrong when trying to cope with my deppression. I forgot to watch movies and play games...

jackles
21-01-10, 18:30

Some years ago after post natal depression I was on antidepressants. When I came off them after a staggered period of stopping I virtually hallucinated over a three day period...mainly due to sensory overload. They had depressed my senses so that I could cope...there was no placebo effect at all. I was shocked as it only happened when I stopped. I had no idea it would affect me like that. BUT drugs can help you get over a bad period. You just have to make sure that you have the right ones for you.

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 18:30
I didnt magically remove it by saying it was stupid. It was a mix of both self assurance and lots of things like games, music, and other random media i like :p

Depression can't just go away by playing games, etc it may distract you but it doesn't cure.
You can only overcome depression by attacking the roots of it, you have to dig deep and it isn't beautiful.
It's a long hard road to recovery.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 18:32
Depression can't just go away by playing games, etc it may distract you but it doesn't cure.
You can only overcome depression by attacking the roots of it, you have to dig deep and it isn't beautiful.

I moved house around the same time i recovered, possibly related i guess.

shadow_fire
21-01-10, 18:34

yeah that is true.

Ward Dragon
21-01-10, 18:46
I moved house around the same time i recovered, possibly related i guess.

Yeah, changing your environment probably helped. In any case, everybody is different and what works for one person may not work for another person. Some people have a chemical imbalance and need medication to help their brain function normally. That's not a placebo. It's very powerful medication and it should be taken seriously. If someone can overcome their depression through therapy and coping strategies alone, then that's fantastic. However, if they also need medication to help then that's what they should do. Each person needs to find what works for them.

Paddy
21-01-10, 19:08
From my own experience depression is not ridden off by means of distraction, I still have to do something about mine and am willing to do so, nothing wrong with asking for help when its needed and admittedly I do with mine.

Rai
21-01-10, 19:26
I've never taken anti-depressants. I came close to going to the doctor in 2007, but then things started to look up. I have known people on medication, so I think I have some understanding about it.

lcaddict
21-01-10, 19:35
The best antidepressant I know is to call all your friends, eat pizza and have a lot of fun!!!

Catracoth
21-01-10, 19:36
Anti-depressant pills are for the weak.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 19:36
The best antidepressant I know is to call all your friends, eat pizza and have a lot of fun!!!

:tmb:

:tmb:

Unless theyre like close to suicide and have tried numerous times, then pills could be a last attempt.

jackles
21-01-10, 19:41
So I'm weak then yeah?

:(

there is a huge difference between being a bit down and being like my ex was threatening to kill me or himself due to depression.

Ward Dragon
21-01-10, 19:42

Excuse me? My grandmother was not weak. She was bipolar and the medication was necessary to even out her moods. If someone has a serious chemical imbalance, then no amount of willpower will fix that and it's not a weakness to take medication.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 19:43
So I'm weak then yeah?

there is a huge difference between being a bit down and being like my ex was threatening to kill me or himself due to depression.

In that situation i think it was a good idea to use anti depressants. I can see why you would find them helpful in such a horrible situation, but anti depressants are handed out way too widely. Like people feel a bit upset or grumpy and instantly rush to get some pills.

TRhalloween
21-01-10, 19:44
Ouch, Catracoth.

Catracoth
21-01-10, 19:45
Anti-depressants are like cheat codes. You mustn't be so quick to go to them. Your best bet is to seek professional care and express your issues. Open up to someone you can trust. In depression, you're keeping things bottled up and the anti-depressants just calm the bomb waiting to explode.

I've been through depression before at sixteen years old. Sixteen. That's completely unnecessary. I didn't seek to drown my issues in medication. I went through self-harm and mutilation before a friend helped me. I sought professional care and even being a misanthrope, I found that speaking to someone trustworthy, who's ready to hear your problems and help you without judging you is the best medication ever.

That's my spiel for the day.

Excuse me? My grandmother was not weak. She was bipolar and the medication was necessary to even out her moods. If someone has a serious chemical imbalance, then no amount of willpower will fix that and it's not a weakness to take medication.

Ouch, Catracoth.

I should have known that statement would have sparked misinterpretation. Oh well; live and learn I guess.

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 19:45

Do what I do, ignore such ignorant and immature posts :whi
This persons intentions were clearly to either insult someone or sarcasm but I'm going with the first.

Paddy
21-01-10, 19:47
Wow at the sheer ignorance in this thread, seriously.

Catracoth
21-01-10, 19:47
Do what I do, ignore such ignorant and immature posts :whi
This persons intentions were clearly to either insult someone or sarcasm but I'm going with the first.

That definitely wasn't my intention, so I suggest you mind your business and keep your ignorant comments to yourself. How hypocritical.

jackles
21-01-10, 19:48
I think generalisation in such an emotive topic is insulting to those of us who have seen deep depression, we don't have the luxury of playing games or listening to music while we recover because we have jobs..children or families to care for.

There are degrees of depression and suggesting people are weak because they need some relief from their depression is in the mildest sense unkind.

Catracoth
21-01-10, 19:49
There are degrees of depression and suggesting people are weak because they need some relief from their depression is in the mildest sense unkind.

I wasn't intending to be unkind, I simply wanted to point out that solid medication isn't always the best route, albeit I failed to do so in a proper manner. I've seen several people have serious issues and never even look at medication to solve their problems.

nightwishgirl84
21-01-10, 19:53
That definitely wasn't my intention, so I suggest you mind your business and keep your ignorant comments to yourself. How hypocritical.

Your post was rather insensitive and insulting to say at least.
I'm allowed to criticize when you call people like myself weak.
So I'm not being hypocritical here.

jackles
21-01-10, 19:53
I know what you are saying and I have seen it too...but maybe those people were able to use other methods to ease their recovery..faced with a baby, a husband on his third lung collapse and believe you me..sometimes you need to resort to antidepressants to drag you through the day. It wasn't weakness, it was survival.

T-Sex
21-01-10, 19:54
I know what you are saying and I have seen it too...but maybe those people were able to use other methods to ease their recovery..faced with a baby, a husband on his third lung collapse and believe you me..sometimes you need to resort to antidepressants to drag you through the day. It wasn't weakness, it was survival.

In that scenario then i totally support anti depressants if they work for you, seems like the only way out.

Catracoth
21-01-10, 19:56
Pot.Kettle.Black.

Your post was rather insensitive and insulting to say at least.
I'm allowed to criticize when you call people like myself weak.
So I'm not being hypocritical here.

LOL what nerve to reference the pot and kettle. Away with thee.

Well in that case, I suppose such medication is the last resort, and by all means if they help, go for it. But I support alternative remedies when they're available.

jackles
21-01-10, 20:00
I feel that I have revealed too much already but the last personal detail....It was actually my husband who had a breakdown and refused any treatment, his subsequent behaviour (i.e death threats to me, trying to kill himself etc) meant I had to keep going to protect my child. He only got help...and took antidepressents when he finally left. And it was his physical problems that pushed him under in the first place. :(

Anyhoooooo sometimes there is more that goes on beneath the surface than meets the eye.

People do what they need to do.

Catracoth
21-01-10, 20:01
Well all in all, I do apologise for being so crude whilst expressing my opinion. I could have phrased that differently, but I do stand by said opinion since it's indeed how I feel about anti-depressants.

toxicraider
21-01-10, 20:22
It's a mental issue; everyone's totally different mentally, and it's impossible to completely understand what's going on inside somebody's head. Just because one person found it very easy to get out of their struggle with depression, doesn't mean other people are going through the same thing. When you have people reacting to different drugs in a totally different way, it's not hard to see that people's minds and brain might act in a very different way as well. It may be possible to consolidate diseases or infections, because the cause will be the same, but mentally, I think it's a very different matter. Unhealthy, depressed minds still have the same variety as healthy, happy ones.

Lavinder
21-01-10, 20:33
Depression is not just being a bit unhappy with your life - it feels so isolating and you can't just drag yourself out of it by watching a film or playing a game because you physically don't have the energy to get up and do those things.

Ward Dragon
21-01-10, 20:53
In that situation i think it was a good idea to use anti depressants. I can see why you would find them helpful in such a horrible situation, but anti depressants are handed out way too widely. Like people feel a bit upset or grumpy and instantly rush to get some pills.

I wasn't intending to be unkind, I simply wanted to point out that solid medication isn't always the best route, albeit I failed to do so in a proper manner. I've seen several people have serious issues and never even look at medication to solve their problems.

I agree that medication should be a last resort after other methods have been tried. Drugs alter brain chemistry which is why they are necessary in some cases, but also why they shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary because they can have unexpected and unwanted effects. If someone has tried the alternatives and needs medication in addition to therapy, then that's not a sign of weakness. That's a sign of wanting to survive and doing whatever it takes to get over the depression (or other mental illness). I wasn't offended by what you said (don't care enough to get upset over an over-generalization on the internet) but you should be more careful how you phrase things in the future to avoid further misunderstandings :)

Catracoth
21-01-10, 21:30
I wasn't offended by what you said (don't care enough to get upset over an over-generalization on the internet) but you should be more careful how you phrase things in the future to avoid further misunderstandings :)

Most definitely. Thanks for the insight :).

LaraLuvrrr
22-01-10, 00:50
Well just to share my experience with them. I was put on high doses of Effexor and some Wellbutrin. Doctors are very reckless and quick to prescribe. I told a psychiatrist I had sleeping problems and he wrote a prescription for a sleeping pill instantly in addition to everything I was taking. Then i couldnt wake up in the morning from how the meds turned me into a zombie so my physician gave me ADD medication because it's a "stimulant." So I was on this viscious cycle of taking a med that would make me zombie-like then taking one to wake me up but then i couldn't sleep so taking one to then go to sleep at night... And I gained weight even though I've always been thin. My father once called my psychiatrist's nurse assistant saying I was upset and yelling at him and I was then put on antipsychotics which is for schizophrenia. And im not even schizophrenic! And when id switch psychiatrists they never knew why i was on what i was on but took it for granted the last shrink knew what he was doing putting me on what i was on. I see now how celebrities OD on meds... they're easy to get and you can see multiple doctors who without knowledge of what the other one is giving you prescribe you what they feel you need.

I guess Im just really angry. The only thing that angers me more than anything in my life was that i took those ridiculous pills for 3 years that God knows what effect they had on me. But just to end it I went cold turkey and then lost all my excess weight quickly and Ive been clean for like 5 years.

Last time I went to my doc complaining of sleeping problems he went straight for the antidepressants. He said i looked a lil down... I nearly kicked him in the groin. I do believe some people are clinically depressed and cannot get through life without some extra help especially suicidal people. But these days all doctors need to give you meds is for you to say you're not happy and feel down all the time.

EmeraldFields
22-01-10, 01:04
I've taken antidepressants not because of depression, but because I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

I was able to cope with it pretty well until about a year and a half ago when I literally had a two week long panic attack. I was a mess lol. So I was fed up with feeling like crap and decided to go to the doctor. He first gave me Effexor XR and later Cymbalta, but I was too impatient and gave up on them before they could have an effect.:p

I've been able to deal with my anxiety by just taking one hour out of the day in my room and just chilling out. While I haven't been anxiety free, I haven't had a panic attack for a very long time so either I'm finally growing out of it or I've got a handle on it.:D

Shauni
22-01-10, 02:17
I've had two close friends take some sort of antidepressant. One friend it helped loads, only downside is that he felt like he HAD to take the medicine to feel happy. I think he relied on it too much, but it did help. Then my best friend took some, and I think she took something far too strong. Her eyes looked odd, like she was high or something. Her meds kept her up all night too, so she took more meds just to sleep. Her entire personality changed and she went a bit nutty, I've barely spoken to her since.

So, if someone takes the medication, have friends and family help monitor you while you try it. Don't go crazy lol O_O

tranniversary119
22-01-10, 02:37
I've had my share of anxiety and depression, but who hasn't? I usually get depressed around the winter, and end up hibernating in my room and shut the door on the world. But in the spring-summer I'm fine. I can tell it's getting worse (depression) but I hate going to other people for my problems, I just need something to do and motivation. I know exactly why I'm depressed, mainly because I'm very anti social, but I can't be bothered to fix it.

I also have a friend who's on all sorts of meds, not sure what she has though...it's either a bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. From what she's told me they don't help her, and she wants to up her dose. I prefer to keep away from the medicine, because what I have is nothing too serious. My view on Anti-Depressants is in between, if you really need it; then get them. But therapy should be the FIRST option.

TRLegendLuver
23-01-10, 02:17
Ok. People who have had anti-depressants should be allowed to talk, because they've actually had some.
Too many members who haven't had anti-depressants shouldn't talk that or judge, Cause many of these posts are frivolous and ignorant.

aileenwuornos
25-01-10, 07:13
Wow at the sheer ignorance in this thread, seriously.

I know right,
back to to original topic at hand.

I take pristiq for my post traumatic - but i've been on nearly ever anti-depressent on the aussie market and many many anti psychotic medication as well.

LaraLuvrrr
25-01-10, 11:10
I feel that I have revealed too much already but the last personal detail....It was actually my husband who had a breakdown and refused any treatment, his subsequent behaviour (i.e death threats to me, trying to kill himself etc) meant I had to keep going to protect my child. He only got help...and took antidepressents when he finally left. And it was his physical problems that pushed him under in the first place. :(

Anyhoooooo sometimes there is more that goes on beneath the surface than meets the eye.

People do what they need to do.

Yes this happened with my father as well. He was suffering from depression and turned into a monster because he refused to take medication. I don't think some people realize how sensitive the mind is when your entire world collapses. It's not like you can trick your mind into being happy...

Ora Dagger
23-02-12, 22:35
I've been taking Paxil (Paroxetine) for about three years now. Started taking them my senior year of high school. I take it mostly for social anxiety, with a little depression mixed in because of the anxiety. I can't really describe the feeling you get from them. From what I notice, they don't make you happy, you just don't worry as much. I don't get as nervous as I used to be. Although my Doctor strongly recommended that I see a psychiatrist, which I did but it didn't go so well and felt really uncomfortable. I still refuse to go see one. My thoughts are my own and I refuse to tell anyone them unless I want to. Whether it makes me feel better or not. I still plan to take them until I get myself a stable job, and feel more comfortable with life. Then I will decide to stop taking them. The good news is that it stopped my migraines which I would get every month. The downside is that if I don't take the medicine within a few days, I get dizzy. Depression also runs severely in my mothers side.

Edit: didn't realize this was made a few years ago xD

Zelda master
23-02-12, 22:42
Wow nice bump :p

Ward Dragon
23-02-12, 23:19
Edit: didn't realize this was made a few years ago xD

That's okay :) If you have something meaningful to add to the thread it's alright to post it.

Encore
23-02-12, 23:33
WTF

Caught in the bump trap again! :cen:

Ward Dragon
23-02-12, 23:58
WTF

Caught in the bump trap again! :cen:

Is that in response to what I said? As far as I know, the current rules for bumping are that it's okay if the post adds something new to the thread which wouldn't make sense as a brand new thread, but it's not okay if it's a blatant bump for the sole purpose of raising the thread to the top of the forum.

voltz
24-02-12, 00:10
Guess I can post since somebody was kind enough to bring it back.

Anyone try Lexapro? I had it for a few weeks and got all drowsy as ****! Had to quit as it was costing me all my focus at work.

Encore
24-02-12, 00:16
Is that in response to what I said? As far as I know, the current rules for bumping are that it's okay if the post adds something new to the thread which wouldn't make sense as a brand new thread, but it's not okay if it's a blatant bump for the sole purpose of raising the thread to the top of the forum.

I was angry at myself. I really hate it when I post in a thread not realizing it's so old. I guess it's fine but, I feel dumb. :p

Catracoth
24-02-12, 00:21
I've been on anti-depressants for about a year now.
Yeah, they work for me.

DgoOdz94
24-02-12, 00:50
Yup, I used to take them around 5 years ago when I fell in a heavy depression. They really helped, though I feel the psychotherapy I had along with them helped more than the drugs.

larafan25
24-02-12, 01:52
So many more people take them than I would imagine.

I'm afraid to take them due to some side effects I hear about, but I guess you get side effects with any pill.

I never though I'd feel the need for them, and I hope it doesn't get to that point.

Though I did take vitamins that balanced your mood....wait...hmmm...could this be? :/

Shauni
24-02-12, 04:51
I really think taking them should be a last resort.
I took them last year and they helped for a few months and I really needed the help. But eventually the medicine made me feel like a zombie, no emotions at all really. Now I can hardly remember anything from when I was taking them, it's all a big blurry gap of time. :(

skylark1121
24-02-12, 05:30
I never have taken any, and I never will.

I have seem some of the horrible side effects they have had on people, and to me, it's not worth it. :o

TRLegendLuver
24-02-12, 05:51
Guess I can post since somebody was kind enough to bring it back.

Anyone try Lexapro? I had it for a few weeks and got all drowsy as ****! Had to quit as it was costing me all my focus at work.

I strongly dislike Lexapro. When I was on it, it turned me unto a zombie and gave me really bad headaches. It's known to mess with the brain chemistry in your PNS. I don't recommend it or staying on it at all.

Andyroo
24-02-12, 05:59
I've been avoiding anti-depressants like the plague since I was 15, no matter how bad things were then and still are. Because of what I heard about them I never wanted to start trying them and didn't think it was worth the possible side effects etc. to find something that worked for me. Though I should have just started with them six years ago because I think the time is coming when I will have to.

Apathetic
24-02-12, 06:14
I would never take antidepressants.

TRLegendLuver
24-02-12, 06:26
For those who say 'I would never take antidepressants' or 'I stay away from them', phrases of that nature, you don't know what you would do in the worst case scenario. If you have never felt the need for them or haven't taken them because you simply don't want to, they you apparently haven't hit rock bottom or you haven't been at your worst. Antidepressants are a last resort, as well as anti-anxiety medications, mood-stabilizers and the like. There are just some things in life that make you so miserable, suicidal even, that medication is the last thing to turn to. I've been on over a dozen different medications, all of the antidepressants known to the medical community, anti-anxiety medications and mood-stabilizers and while so of them helped me for a bit, they would always wear off and did make me feel more or less crappy (I'm being a bit easy on them more than I should). They didn't help me but some people, they are a huge lifesaver. Literally. I don't see why saying 'I don't need them', 'I wouldn't ever take them' etc., is contributory to those who have taken them or the topic at hand. Some people need them. Simple as that.

skylark1121
24-02-12, 07:23
For those who say 'I would never take antidepressants' or 'I stay away from them', phrases of that nature, you don't know what you would do in the worst case scenario. If you have never felt the need for them or haven't taken them because you simply don't want to, they you apparently haven't hit rock bottom or you haven't been at your worst. Antidepressants are a last resort, as well as anti-anxiety medications, mood-stabilizers and the like. There are just some things in life that make you so miserable, suicidal even, that medication is the last thing to turn to. I've been on over a dozen different medications, all of the antidepressants known to the medical community, anti-anxiety medications and mood-stabilizers and while so of them helped me for a bit, they would always wear off and did make me feel more or less crappy (I'm being a bit easy on them more than I should). They didn't help me but some people, they are a huge lifesaver. Literally. I don't see why saying 'I don't need them', 'I wouldn't ever take them' etc., is contributory to those who have taken them or the topic at hand. Some people need them. Simple as that.

That's a really good point. :)

I think to present an good argument on the subject, one would have to have experience with depression.

BUT, some doctors do prescribe them to their patients way before they have 'hit rock bottom'.

Andyroo
24-02-12, 07:33

I'm only posting to this because the only posts have been mine and Apathetic's since your last post, and in case it's even slightly directed at me about my avoiding using drugs. (Also, if this thread is only for those who've used them, and those who might use them one day can just shut up or something, then I'll be back one day, after I've got my prescription and can officially join the club. :rolleyes:)

Don't assume just because someone hasn't used anti-depressants that they "apparently haven't hit rock bottom". That's almost insulting to say something like that. I've hit 'rock bottom' (if such a thing exists, if you can somehow compare the level of someone's depressed state) time and time again for the past six years, and have been suicidal most of that time. Just because I haven't taken anti-depressants for it doesn't mean that I haven't been in the worst state I could possibly be, or that you have to take them to somehow show that you've hit a personal place of rock bottom...

TRLegendLuver
24-02-12, 07:43
I'm only posting to this because the only posts have been mine and Apathetic's since your last post, and in case it's even slightly directed at me about my avoiding using drugs. (Also, if this thread is only for those who've used them, and those who might use them one day can just shut up or something, then I'll be back one day, after I've got my prescription and can officially join the club. :rolleyes:)

Don't assume just because someone hasn't used anti-depressants that they "apparently haven't hit rock bottom". That's almost insulting to say something like that. I've hit 'rock bottom' (if such a thing exists, if you can somehow compare the level of someone's depressed state) time and time again for the past six years, and have been suicidal most of that time. Just because I haven't taken anti-depressants for it doesn't mean that I haven't been in the worst state I could possibly be, or that you have to take them to somehow show that you've hit a personal place of rock bottom...

There are many more posts besides yours and Jay's in the thread about never taking antidepressants stuff.

I consider rock bottom, continuously trying to kill yourself (attempting to do it more than once, maybe even several times), going into an mental institution ward, physical health conditions worsen, like developing a permanent and life long illness. I think in any one's book, that would be rock bottom, don't you think?

I'm sorry if you did not understand what I meant by what I said. I thought it was pretty self-explanatory but I guess for some you need to specify. The post was not meant to offend you, but rather shed some light on what some might not understand. Perhaps reading the context next time would better suffice for the answer. :wve:

That's a really good point. :)

I think to present an good argument on the subject, one would have to have experience with depression.

BUT, some doctors do prescribe them to their patients way before they have 'hit rock bottom'.

Thank you and I glad you understand what I meant. Doctors tend to do it, so the patient never hits rock bottom. It's to prevent the inevitable (sometimes) and sometimes resistance of depression.

jackali
24-02-12, 09:42

I emphatically disagree with this. There are numerous people who have hit rock bottom and still don't want to have to rely on antidepressants. There are those who have taken them in the past and would never take them again. For someone to say that they'll stay away from antidepressants in no way suggests that they haven't experienced the worst that life has to offer. Some people need them, yes. But other people might need them and still not take them. They're contributing as much as you are. They have opinions too.

shebj
24-02-12, 09:58
I have borderline ; and some years ago it was really terrible ; but really terrible ; I was so down that I in no way would 've managed to get out of it on my own. Anyway ; I had to be in psychiatry and there they did give me pills. But they made me feel ; how do I say it ; I wasn't depressed any more ; but I also wasn't happy any more; I was kinda like a robot. But then I was released and I went to live on my own. then I got pregnant and that was the moment for me to say that I needed to get rid of the pills and to learn to deal with borderline in general too and not blame every action I take on it.

I still have my days of depression and empty feelings and so on but I can handle those sad periods now. My biggest motivation is my son ; he needs me to guide him towards adulthood, and he has no use on a mother that looses interest in life every now and then and he also has no use on a mother that just lives on automatic and who is a walking pillbox.

Archetype
24-02-12, 11:06
Tried sertraline once...

1 50mg dose caused me quite a few problems. Couldn't stop shaking, throwing up, my pupils were massive, couldn't sit still or sleep.

My suggestion is that you try some herbal alternatives. They carry very few side effects.

Nausinous
24-02-12, 11:12
I love it when people say Herbal remedies, they do know where medicine comes from right? Plants, for instance aspirin comes from the bark of a willow tree. Anyway, I used to be on 150mg sertraline and it did nothing for me, plus I'm always concerned what this medication could do to me in the long term.

Archetype
24-02-12, 11:16
:rolleyes:

Nausinous
24-02-12, 11:21
:rolleyes:

I don't know what you're rolling your eyes for, there's no such thing as a natural alternative.

Archetype
24-02-12, 11:29
I don't know what you're rolling your eyes for, there's no such thing as a natural alternative.

I just love the attempt at being indirect.

St. John's Wort is a natural alternative. Pharmaceutical Anti-depressants are synthetic.

FloTheMachine
24-02-12, 17:17
I did, I wouldn't advise anyone to go down that route. :/
You feel like a zombie.

Atlantisfreak666
24-02-12, 17:21
Yes. I'm on Fluoxetine (Prozac).

FloTheMachine
24-02-12, 17:25
^
I was on that too.

skylark1121
24-02-12, 17:54

Now there's a worthy :rolleyes: moment. :D

LOL, sorry for the rudeness, but I'm sure their is some sort of natural remedy out there somewhere.

tomekkobialka
24-02-12, 18:15
LOL, sorry for the rudeness, but I'm sure their is some sort of natural remedy out there somewhere.

The mind. :D