PDA

View Full Version : Haiti quake victim rescue operation declared over.

lara c. fan
23-01-10, 13:53
Haiti quake victim rescue operation declared over
People line up to receive water handed out by Brazilian U.N. peacekeepers soldiers near the National Palace in Port-au-Prince, Friday, Jan. 22, 2010
Humanitarian relief is being scaled up as rescue efforts come to an end

Haiti's government has made the "heartbreaking" decision to declare the search and rescue phase for survivors of the earthquake over, the UN says.

The announcement came a day after two people, an 84-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man, were pulled alive from the rubble in Port-au-Prince.

The UN spokeswoman Elizabeth Byrs says 132 people have been rescued since the earthquake 11 days ago.

On Friday the official government death toll from the quake rose to 110,000.

Link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8476474.stm

Apparently the decision was taken on the advice of experts.

Evan C.
23-01-10, 13:54
:(
I am sure that there's still a lot of lifes to save.This is so,so sad.I just can't imagine how missing's relatives are feeling with this decition.

Dennis's Mom
23-01-10, 14:01
There comes a point in every disaster where they have to make this decision. This will allow everyone to focus on those definitely alive. I'm sure it's heartbreaking to admit there's nothing more you can do.

MattTR
23-01-10, 14:06
Declared over? It's far from over.. in fact it just may beginning. The rescue may be over, but the rebuilding of the island is going to take years and years.. not to mention the heartbreak and sorrow from it all will never perish.

God bless the victims and their families, and I hope they it through this devastating hardship. :(

Autolycus
23-01-10, 14:15
Why on earth would they stop the search so soon.

Surely they'll still be people trapped alive.

Spong
23-01-10, 14:39
Just imagine what it's like to be one of those poor souls still trapped, barely alive, your light slowly flickering out, not knowing that no one's coming any more.

It's pretty damn horrible :(

God Horus
23-01-10, 14:48

I think it was too soon to end it :(

Mad Tony
23-01-10, 15:10

I think it was too soon to end it :(Why? There are hundreds of thousands of people homeless. They're all gonna start dying soon if all the attention is focused on rescuing people and not helping the survivors.

I think this was a good call. Even if the rescue effort did continue, how many would be saved? 3 or 4?

T-Sex
23-01-10, 16:10
Only 132 people rescued, out of the thousands who were there :(

I think this was a good call. Even if the rescue effort did continue, how many would be saved? 3 or 4?

If something can save the lives of 3 or 4 people, its worth everything.

Mad Tony
23-01-10, 16:18
If something can save the lives of 3 or 4 people, its worth everything.But what about all the survivors? Many are without aid. Pooling valuable resources to save 3 or 4 lives is certainly not worth it when there are so many survivors in need of help.

Dennis's Mom
23-01-10, 16:20
Declared over? It's far from over.. in fact it just may beginning. The rescue may be over, but the rebuilding of the island is going to take years and years.. not to mention the heartbreak and sorrow from it all will never perish.

The rescue effort is all that was declared over. . . .;)

Cochrane
23-01-10, 16:35
If something can save the lives of 3 or 4 people, its worth everything.

Even ten, a hundred or many more dying because their food, medicine, shelter or protection did not arrive soon enough?

I can understand your feeling. It feels wrong to stop, to make a rational decision about such an emotional issue, and it feels wrong to make guesses about how many could be saved in either case and then compare numbers of human lives. In fact, in specific cases (unlike this, though) some courts over the world have ruled it illegal.

But it isn't possible to rescue everybody. You can have lots of people sifting through the rubble, or you can have them helping those who are definitely alive. Either is a good and worthwhile endeavor, but you can't do both, at least not on the scales Haiti currently needs. There is no way to win this, for the relief teams to be heroes and for this story to have a happy end for everyone. Sooner or later, they have to set priorities if they want to save anyone at all. They did so now, and considering that few, if any of us, are experts at such crisis management, I think we should respect that.

Squibbly
23-01-10, 16:36
It's so sad to think that there could still be survivors that are just going to die under the rubble. And I'm sure there may still be, since just the other day a 69 year old woman who had been in a collapsed church for a full week was found alive.

But there comes a time when they must focus all their efforts on the survivors, as awful as it is. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
23-01-10, 21:23
in my opinion, the statement has come far too early :(

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-01-10, 21:35
I think it's too early to stop saving people in danger. This is very sad. :(

Catapharact
23-01-10, 22:06
People do know that its only the Hatian government has declared an end on rescue operations. That doesn't mean that rescue crews cannot conduct independent searches on their own. Keep in mind its been over 11 days now and some of the focus of the man-power needs to be focused on those who have been rescued.

Antonio
23-01-10, 22:13
This is very sad, only thing I can do is pray for theres souls and also for people who have been rescued to have great care.:(

scion05
23-01-10, 22:24
Much too early :(

T-Sex
23-01-10, 22:25
They need to divide their manpower and resources between caring for the rescued people and finding more survivors.

Mad Tony
23-01-10, 22:57
They need to divide their manpower and resources between caring for the rescued people and finding more survivors.If by divide you mean putting it at a ratio of 100:1 then I agree. The many thousands of people homeless and without aid should take priority over the few that are trapped under buildings and still alive.

T-Sex
23-01-10, 23:17
If by divide you mean putting it at a ratio of 100:1 then I agree. The many thousands of people homeless and without aid should take priority over the few that are trapped under buildings and still alive.

I didnt mean 100:1, but i did mean like maybe 50:1

Bongo Fury
23-01-10, 23:21
They need to divide their manpower and resources between caring for the rescued people and finding more survivors.
There are limited resources. They cannot save everyone - that is unfortunate but it's the bottom line. they have to decide what is the most effective use of the resources they do have and proceed.

Mad Tony
23-01-10, 23:53
I didnt mean 100:1, but i did mean like maybe 50:1But still, that's quite a lot. I dare say the number of people in need of aid outnumbers the number of people likely to be pulled out of the rubble alive by more than 50 to 1.

T-Sex
24-01-10, 00:08
But still, that's quite a lot. I dare say the number of people in need of aid outnumbers the number of people likely to be pulled out of the rubble alive by more than 50 to 1.

It still seems evil to just leave possible survivors to die. But yeah, they should probabaly shift the focus to the survivors now.

Catapharact
24-01-10, 00:10
It still seems evil to just leave possible survivors to die. Even if it was literally just about 10 people rummaging through rubble trying to find someone, that wouldnt even use resources.

Hence there will be reserve search and rescue teams doing that job. I am just frustrated that people are so easily led away by headlines to believe that Search and Rescue operations have just ended... period. Its like they don't even attempt to read the actual article.

Mad Tony
24-01-10, 00:22
It still seems evil to just leave possible survivors to die. But yeah, they should probabaly shift the focus to the survivors now.It's evil to focus on saving and helping more people?

T-Sex
24-01-10, 03:59
It's evil to focus on saving and helping more people?

Its evil to just abandon people when theres a chance, even a slight chance, that you can save someone.

interstellardave
24-01-10, 04:39
Its evil to just abandon people when theres a chance, even a slight chance, that you can save someone.

It's not evil, it's reality. Besides some teams will continue searching, apparently, but the efforts of most must now go towards other priorities. There's only so much manpower, money, supplies, etc., to go around.