PDA

View Full Version : We can only see well with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eye...

KIKO
24-01-10, 21:17
I'm in trouble, you see I have to make a presentation about that and I just have 5 lines xD I really wish I knew if there is a hidden meaning behind it. It's taken from a book but it doesn't explain much...

I think it's about finding something that might be in front of us but our eyes cannot see, like hapiness. But that's pretty much what I have written. Please I need ideas :o:hug:

Cochrane
24-01-10, 21:44
Did you read the book yet? It's short and nice, and probably worth it (although I doubt that they are looking for a summary).

Zebra
24-01-10, 21:46
For what subject is that? If it was for biology I'd say the heart can't see anything, it's a muscle :p. But I doubt it's for biology :D. For philosophy, I guess?

Catracoth
It's not really that hard to explicate. "We can only see well with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eye." The essential is something you can only see with the heart--what do you see with your heart? Happiness, love, and things of that nature.

For what subject is that? If it was for biology I'd say the heart can't see anything, it's a muscle :p. But I doubt it's for biology :D. For philosophy, I guess?

Biology? Really? English class.

KIKO
Did you read the book yet? It's short and nice, and probably worth it (although I doubt that they are looking for a summary).

Yeah I did once but I only had this weekend to prepare the presentation so I didn't even pick the book again. Besides my teacher is looking for a 300 words text about it, but there's really not that much to say about the topic :o

It's for Portuguese class.

Minty Mouth
24-01-10, 21:49
My advice?

Present your 5 lines with pride.

Failing that, you could always google it.

Cochrane
24-01-10, 21:56
Yeah I did once but I only had this weekend to prepare the presentation so I didn't even pick the book again. Besides my teacher is looking for a 300 words text about it, but there's really not that much to say about the topic :o

There isn't? Look, it's not that hard. Have you ever seen a stereotypical american movie or TV show, where the beautiful cheerleader is an evil *****, while the geeky little girl that is said to be ugly has the good character and gets the boy in the end? Have you ever seen a movie where the evil, greedy person in the end realizes that his quest for riches and glory was useless, because its love and friendship that really counts? Have you ever seen or read a story where the hero is tempted by the evil empire to join it, but in the end refuses because he realizes how bad they are?

This topic is one of the oldest in fiction. The amount of stories, from fairy tales to multi-million dollar movies, that deal with, is unbelievable. But the message is always the same: First impressions can be wrong. Trust your inner moral compass. What really matters are things like love, friendship, hope, not things that are obvious like wealth or external beauty.

It shouldn't be that hard to get 300 words from this.

KIKO
24-01-10, 21:56
My advice?

Present your 5 lines with pride.

Failing that, you could always google it.

Who knows I might just succed. Juding by the other presentations my teacher's a lot more interested in our posture, what we have in the hands, what we do with the feet, where we stand, to who we look, to how we talk, to our clothes...really it's pretty stupid if you ask me :cen:

There isn't? Look, it's not that hard. Have you ever seen a stereotypical american movie or TV show, where the beautiful cheerleader is an evil *****, while the geeky little girl that is said to be ugly has the good character and gets the boy in the end? Have you ever seen a movie where the evil, greedy person in the end realizes that his quest for riches and glory was useless, because its love and friendship that really counts? Have you ever seen or read a story where the hero is tempted by the evil empire to join it, but in the end refuses because he realizes how bad they are?

This topic is one of the oldest in fiction. The amount of stories, from fairy tales to multi-million dollar movies, that deal with, is unbelievable. But the message is always the same: First impressions can be wrong. Trust your inner moral compass. What really matters are things like love, friendship, hope, not things that are obvious like wealth or external beauty.

It shouldn't be that hard to get 300 words from this.

Thank you, I guess I wasn't inspired or I wasn't seeing with the heart :p like the topic suggests.

Cochrane
24-01-10, 21:59
Who knows I might just succed. Juding by the other presentations my teacher's a lot more interested in our posture, what we have in the hands, what we do with the feet, where we stand, to who we look, to how we talk, to our clothes...really it's pretty stupid if you ask me :cen:

No, it's not. Being able to talk in front of people and getting information across so that they'll actually want to remember it is an important skill, and training that in school sounds like a good idea to me.

Zebra
24-01-10, 22:01
Biology? Really? English class.

Oh god. Do you know what sarcasm is? S A R C A S M.

This might help ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Catracoth
24-01-10, 22:05
You're the one in need of a lesson in sarcasm since you just confused sarcasm with naiveness and/or stupidity.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 22:25
maybe it's like don't judge a book by it's cover - like don't be shallow - think with your heart not your eyes. Or looks decieve maybe?

KIKO
24-01-10, 22:27
maybe it's like don't judge a book by it's cover - like don't be shallow - think with your heart not your eyes. Or looks decieve maybe?

Exactly. I'm already writing more, you guys gave me inspiration. Thank you :hug:

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 22:29
Exactly. I'm already writing more, you guys gave me inspiration. Thank you :hug:

I'm glad I could help :hug: xxx If you need more ideas I can probabaly think of some

Rai
24-01-10, 23:26
Well maybe it has something to do with intuition as well? Saometimes you can know if something is right or not, you can just feel it. You don't need to see it to believe it. As others' have said, love etc. Also you can know if someone is telling the truth, can be trusted. What is in our hearts, that matters just as much, if not more than common sense. I hope this helps.