PDA

View Full Version : Death : What do you think about it?

Jill Lover
24-01-10, 22:46
Have you thought about death? Do you think about it? If so, post your thoughts in this thread.

We all are going to have to confront death eventually. What's your take on it?
Just wondering if any of you think about it.

It just creeps into my head. See it on the news, read it here, there. Hear about someone dying. Also, how to cope with a death of a relative... your thoughts about it? I personally think that's harder, because you suffer a lot... i don't know.. i can't really imagine how tought that will be... to lose a friend, mother, father a brother...

lacryjr
24-01-10, 22:48
I think it's the end, black, nothing, wathever.

Lee croft
24-01-10, 22:50
I think it sucks.

matrix54
24-01-10, 22:51
if you have the understanding that it will happen, has to happen, and its unavoidable, it wont bother you much. people die. people also breathe, eat, walk, talk, give birth, etc. these things happen. yeah, i'll die eventually... I'll get over it.

Catracoth
Why would you stress yourself out thinking about death? I'm seventeen years old. I've got decades before I croak, why think about it now?

Minty Mouth
I have never lost anyone close to me, so for that I am blessed.

When it comes to the act of death its self. I picture it to be a very peaceful thing, and once you are gone, that is it. There is no afterlife/spirit world or anything of that nature, you just cease to exist. I see it as kind of like falling asleep. You don't really notice when it happens, and it is very calm, only in this case, you don't wake up again. You get to rest forever :)

touchthesky
24-01-10, 22:52
I have to deal with it very frequently at work unfortunately, so hmm.

Because of the place I work ( a care home ) I guess, for the PERSON thats dying, its a relief..theyre old and done in, and most of them are wanting to die. It's an absolute blessing if it is quick, it's difficult when somebody slowly declines. But yeah for the folk Ive dealt with during death its probably been a good thing..It's hard on families but I think most realise.

Legend of Lara
Continue?
YES >NO

HappyShannon
I've no idea, but it scares me :p

I just hope Hell actually isn't real, 'cause if it is I'll probably be going there :pi:

matrix54
24-01-10, 22:55
Continue?
YES >NO

lol... looks like someone ran out of quarters :p

Jill Lover
24-01-10, 22:57
But not only the death of ourselves... i mean...i.e to experience a death of someone really close to us... what about... your parents? unless you don't really get on well with them i can't understand, i mean... it's something you know it will happen... but it's something it will leave us a mark forever. I don't really care about my death, because i'll be dead... but to see my beloved ones dying it's something that really worries me.

Atlantean-Squid
24-01-10, 22:57
I'm inclined to think that when you die, there's nothing. A nothing so absolute that the word "nothing" isn't sufficient to describe it. In other words, I don't think there's anything afterwards, but I sure as hell hope there is.

Cochrane
24-01-10, 22:58
I'm not really in favor of death. :D

Seriously, the idea that I some day just cease to exist, that all what I started has to be finished by a day or never will, that there are things that I will never be able to experience…*let's just say that this thought does not make me happy. That being said, it's not something I think about a lot to begin with.

MiCkiZ88
24-01-10, 22:59
I do not fear death, I fear what is after it. I hate being told by my mother that I will go to hell if I do not end my relationship with my boyfriend, and I hate being told by scientists that you will just rot in your grave and there is no such thing as a spirit.

I do believe in supernatural things thanks to my experiences and I have had the theory in my mind for ages that when something, someone dies, another one is born. Energy doesnt just fade away. It transforms in to something else.

Right now I am just waiting for the medical science to improve so that I can atleast live longer, perhaps even become immortal :p

Legend of Lara
24-01-10, 22:59
lol... looks like someone ran out of quarters :p

That, or they grew tired of the Alfheim challenges...

matrix54
24-01-10, 23:00
That, or they grew tired of the Alfheim challenges...

:p

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:01
i think about death a lot

it affects me when somebody i barely knew dies - when someone close dies i'll be shattered
i think of life as a test for something better - like dragonfly nympths moving on to become dragonflys - u cant contact the people u know who have gone and they can only contact u from being visible and feeling their prescence.

i myself already want to die - im very depressed. If life gets better then I'll give it a go but I'm struggling

T-Sex
24-01-10, 23:03
i
i myself already want to die - im very depressed. If life gets better then I'll give it a go but I'm struggling

:( :hug:

Just try to remember that many people in the world in poorer countries have it worse off than you do, maybe that will help you feel better?

Also maybe you can get a job helping animals/people, then you'll feel better about yourself :)

Reggie
24-01-10, 23:04
I do not fear death, I fear what is after it. I hate being told by my mother that I will go to hell if I do not end my relationship with my boyfriend, and I hate being told by scientists that you will just rot in your grave and there is no such thing as a spirit.

I do believe in supernatural things thanks to my experiences and I have had the theory in my mind for ages that when something, someone dies, another one is born. Energy doesnt just fade away. It transforms in to something else.

Right now I am just waiting for the medical science to improve so that I can atleast live longer, perhaps even become immortal :p

Similar situation here. As I see it, if all these religions exist, we're going to hell either way. If the scientists are right...suckage. I'd like to believe energy doesn't just fade away and its a theory that's kept me from being totally atheistic and yeah, like you, I'd like to stay alive...hopefully there will be some kind of a breakthrough in our lifetime.

digitizedboy
24-01-10, 23:05

That's more or less what I believe. If there's like electricity in our bodies that keeps us alive, that keeps our hearts beating, and our brains active. Then that same energy must be released somehow when we kick the bucket.
I think what scares me most is the transition, and whatever pain or stress will be involved in the process.

lara c. fan
24-01-10, 23:07
Why would you stress yourself out thinking about death? I'm seventeen years old. I've got decades before I croak, why think about it now?

TBH, you don't know that.

Dingaling
I'm with Micki and ReggaeSauce. It's the events after death - I don't want to just not be. I like being. It's quite scary for moi if everyone's personality and who they are die along with their physical body, surely all that life has to go... somewhere?

xXhayleyroxXx
:( :hug:

Just try to remember that many people in the world in poorer countries have it worse off than you do, maybe that will help you feel better?

that makes me cry. i really do feel sorry for them- i wanna go out and help them but money and my age hold me back. Sometimes i'll dream someone i know has died - and a few times it's actually happened. And I have certain routes i walk down to get to somewhere, you know like walking to school; but i'll suddenly decide to walk the other way and ther'll be a dying animal or an old man fallen over.

I seriously don't know what's wrong with me :( & I keep having loads of near-death experiences and end up saving people.
That also depresses me

T-Sex
24-01-10, 23:08
I'm with Micki and ReggaeSauce. It's the events after death - I don't want to just not be. I like being. It's quite scary for moi if everyone's personality and who they are die along with their physical body, surely all that life has to go... somewhere?

Id rather just die than be stuck as some weird ghost thing.

that makes me cry. i really do feel sorry for them- i wanna go out and help them but money and my age hold me back. Sometimes i'll dream someone i know has died - and a few times it's actually happened. And I have certain routes i walk down to get to somewhere, you know like walking to school; but i'll suddenly decide to walk the other way and ther'll be a dying animal or an old man fallen over.

Maybe you are somehow drawn to people who need help?

Legend of Lara
24-01-10, 23:08

Alright, it's ranting time.
I have no respect for people who off themselves. Whether they do it out of depression, "heartbreak", or otherwise. They should've respected their lives because there are less fortunate people out there who'd gladly be in their positions. Not to sound like Jigsaw, or anything...

T-Sex
24-01-10, 23:11
I have no respect for people who off themselves. Whether they do it out of depression, "heartbreak", or otherwise. They should've respected their lives because there are less fortunate people out there who'd gladly be in their positions. Not to sound like Jigsaw, or anything...

How does that relate to what i said? You basically rephrased what i said in a meaner way :\

patriots88888
24-01-10, 23:12
I do my best not to think about it. Until of course someone posts a thread about it and then whammo! There it is staring me in the face. :p

Nah, doesn't worry me much. When it happens, it happens. Nothing I can do about it.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:13
Id rather just die than be stuck as some weird ghost thing.

Maybe you are somehow drawn to people who need help?

maybe i am... emotionally i feel their pain it's weird. I'm such a freak :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for my life. I enjoy certain things - where i live, my family, all iv been given - im grateful for it all. But the pain and suffering gets to me and i wish it away.

Legend of Lara
24-01-10, 23:13
How does that relate to what i said? You basically rephrased what i said in a meaner way :\

Yes, I was getting my blunt opinion across. Sorry if I came off as a complete douche. :o

NemesisxAngelus
24-01-10, 23:15
I don't fear death and I wouldn't mind if it'd happen to me tomorrow, but I mind and fear for those around me, hence why I'm still here. :wve:

T-Sex
24-01-10, 23:15

I do the same thing, when i hear about a murder on the news i usually start crying :(

Surohicko
24-01-10, 23:16
better then Life :wve:

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:17
I do the same thing, when i hear about a murder on the news i usually start crying :(

i know same :( it's almost like i'm HERE to help/save. Like some weird messed-up, over-average *hero*. But im not a hero, im some girl crying over people and wishing herself away.

Minty Mouth
24-01-10, 23:19

Yes, but the thing is... when you die you wont be able to think:

Oh, what a shame I am dead. It really sucks that I can't do stuff anymore.

Because you'll be dead. There will be no sadness, and you will not be able to regret, because you simply will not produce thoughts any more. After all, our thoughts, our emotional attachments, and our feelings are all just commands and chemicals running through our brains.

MiCkiZ88
24-01-10, 23:20
...and yeah, like you, I'd like to stay alive...hopefully there will be some kind of a breakthrough in our lifetime.
Well there have been some talk about we living much longer in the near future, and that we have managed to erase sickness and cancer from mice. My only fear from all that is.. what kind of chaos would it bring if people were to be cured from "pandoras box"?

Jill Lover
24-01-10, 23:46
Global warming it's another critical thing that's happening nowadays. Like natural disasters such the most ecent : Haiti. I feel very sorry about those people. You can expect death everywhere, anytime... we are causing our own deaths

AmericanAssassin
24-01-10, 23:47
I intend to find the elixir of life, therefore, I have no reason to think about death. :)

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:48
Global warming it's another critical thing that's happening nowadays. Like natural disasters such the most ecent : Haiti. I feel very sorry about those people. You can expect death everywhere, anytime... we are causing our own deaths

thats true. We also eat fatty things and smoke and drink. Mankind has caused the deaths of whole species.

It's bad :(

wei wei
24-01-10, 23:51
it will happen when it happens. not scared and don't care. rather die young than old though because getting old just sucks. i've had 3 family members die within the last 5 years. this last september - october, i've had 5 people i know die. i just deal with it in my own way. i'm not overly sad and don't cry. it is what it is. if i happen to die 5 minutes form now, at least i will get out of paying next months rent. :)

Indiana Croft
24-01-10, 23:52
My worst fear is that of all the life and beauty we get to see in the world is it. Like death is just an empty black of no consciousness.

My ideal of it is that as we die we make sense of our lives. We understand why everything happened as it happened and our place in the world. Then once we die we see our past lives and see the future of our family. Then we are reincarnated. We travel a new road to explore the world and find where our hearts belong again.

I know death can't just be this finality. Something has to happen afterwards.

lara c. fan
24-01-10, 23:53
You may begin to hate me for what I'm about to say, but death happens every second.
Why get bogged down in it all?

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:59
You may begin to hate me for what I'm about to say, but death happens every second.
Why get bogged down in it all?

i wish i wouldnt, but i do. People as individuals - they make you what you are. You learn a lot from them. They make you happy. It's like that savage garden lyric, 'i believe we place out happiness in other people's hands'.

I certaintly do. I miss my grandad every second of the day. I recently found a wildlife book he gave me, and he wrote a little message in; and i wrote back once he's gone 'I miss you grandad :(' and put a little heart sticker.
It makes me cry so much.

I could have gone to one of my ex-best-friend's funerals this year. And it hurts me to know she's still suffering. it hurts me to know my dad had an argument with his dad and the next day his dad died... and he was going to apoligise.

It hurts me to know death affects people - particularly me.

I want to dream forever - no death, no life.

Rai
25-01-10, 00:01
Having lost quite a few family members, in 2005-2007 alone, I lost three people I was very close to, in different ways, I know how painful the loss can be. My son has a belief that when someone dies, they go to the stars and shine down on us. I think that is a beautiful sentiment. I believe our loved ones look over us too. I have had signs, like white feathers when I have needed some comfort over something and was thinking of my loved ones. It is for this reason that I don't fear death. I believe there is more to death than blackness.

@Hayley, I think you are a sensitive. Someone who can feel others' pain etc. I think you may need to try not to be too affected by it as hard as that may seem. Maybe as you get older and can look for a job in the caring profession, this will help you. Maybe you can get a part time voluntary position for a charity? This might help you to feel you are doing something positive to help now? :hug:

VictorXD
25-01-10, 00:04
Think about death?? Most of the time.(89% of them are mine)
Wanting to die: yes please!:o
Have a relative dying:: no!:(
What happens after: I think this may seam like religious s*** but I beliebe in reincarnation.

lara c. fan
25-01-10, 00:06
Don't get me wrong, I miss my grandma as well.
I guess I just got used to the fact death happens everyday...

Anyway, I'm gonna stop here, because I can tell I might upset people.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-01-10, 00:06
^^^ thanks rai, you've given me a lot to think about. I certaintly will try my best to help people - iv saved people's lives which is weird :o
I look up to you in the respect that you talk about the people you've lost - i hope when the day comes for me when im in the same position i can still talk to you - i'll need help.

Rai
25-01-10, 00:10
I'm just a pm or an msn message away hayley. :hug:

Now shut up before I blub all over my pc. :p

@Victor, I also believe in reincarnation.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-01-10, 00:11
I'm just a pm or an msn message away hayley. :hug:

Now shut up before I blub all over my pc. :p

thanks hunni :hug: if its any condolance im crying :p

Ikas90
25-01-10, 00:20
Sometimes I have thought about death. However, it's not something I'm preoccupied with. I just want to make the most out of my life before I die. :)

This is our one chance. After this, we're never going to be on this earth again.

larafan25
25-01-10, 00:59
I think we have all had those moments where we try to imagine life after death, regardless of belief in an afterlife, but trying to imagine not being alive. I know sometimes we feel this way, but when we sit and think, how can you try to feel it. It is nothing, the word nothing is not even enough to describe it, simply a moment of silence without thought could explain it. However can we stop thinking?....it often confuses me to the point of craziness. I find that I don't think about dying as much as what is going to happen after that part, I mean I don't want to think about how I would die or how my friends and family would, therefor if any images pop into my head I push them away as fast as possible. However I am very intrigued by what happens after that. As a person who has not thought about a religion yet, and has not come up with a comforting life after death, I tend to try and expect nothing, pure nothingness. close your eyes and it's dark, however open them and it would still be dark. I do not believe in my spirit actually coming out of me, or even being of existance, so I am simply THERE.

I am sure many of you have had this thought before.

I honestly feel that for people who are looking for a nothingness dream state should listen to some music, just find some music that is pure and happy and get the best image, and it makes you think, maybe not throughout the duration of the music, but afterwards. Happy thoughts about death, more of an understanding of a bad situation, coming to grips with your own flaws or understanding what someone has done and why you should forgive them, these can be described as humbling moments and they are simply awesome.

da tomb raider!
25-01-10, 01:01
As I strongly believe in an afterlife, death itself doesn't really scare me or anything. It's the unknown that follows death that scares me. Where am I going to end up? What's it going to be like? And of course, deeper questions follow. What will I be like? If I die as an old man, will I be wandering around Heaven as an old man? Whilst I don't mind growing old, I can't say that I'm too keen on the idea of living in the afterlife as an old man for eternity. And what happens to my possessions? Materialistic, I know, but I'm sure we all have plenty of inanimate things that we'd never want to lose down here. I can't help but wonder whether or not these things will be carried over when we die. And my most pressing question, what if I go to Heaven, and a loved one ends up in Hell (reverse that for a more realistic situation :p )?

Indeed, it's the unknown of death that scares me. That, coupled with the fact that I don't want to leave my loved ones behind, makes me awfully afraid of death. In fact, I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, which certainly doesn't make things easier! Thankfully, though, whilst I can't help but worry anyway, the fact is that death isn't particularly common, at least not in people who take all of those simple precautions.

And regarding prolonged life and such, to be honest, I can't see it working out. Whilst we may well be able to radically prolong life in the future, or heck, even make us all immortal, death is required to maintain balance. We've got 7 billion people on the planet and things are already falling apart. Imagine what it would be like if nobody was ever going to die. It's a idyllic concept, of course, but I suspect that in reality it would be a disaster. People are supposed to die, and they need to so that others can live, so that there's a balance in money, in space, in jobs, in property. Living too long or forever just wouldn't work. Immortality is what Heaven is for.

larafan25
25-01-10, 01:10
My worst fear is that of all the life and beauty we get to see in the world is it. Like death is just an empty black of no consciousness.

My ideal of it is that as we die we make sense of our lives. We understand why everything happened as it happened and our place in the world. Then once we die we see our past lives and see the future of our family. Then we are reincarnated. We travel a new road to explore the world and find where our hearts belong again.

I know death can't just be this finality. Something has to happen afterwards.

I like the way you look at it:)

it is nice, sometimes I feel as though I have entered this world with an amount of knowledge or understanding that can only be described as from a previous life.

Perhaps we learn something at the end of each road which we were unable to share with the world, and it is our job to share it in the next life.:)

Ada the Mental
25-01-10, 01:14
Yes, but the thing is... when you die you wont be able to think:

Oh, what a shame I am dead. It really sucks that I can't do stuff anymore.

Because you'll be dead. There will be no sadness, and you will not be able to regret, because you simply will not produce thoughts any more. After all, our thoughts, our emotional attachments, and our feelings are all just commands and chemicals running through our brains.

That's what I believe, as well, and I find it extremely depressing so I try not to dwell on it.
I am dwelling on it right now, as I'm looking up articles about the worst way to die, inspired by the organ donation thread. :p

Psychos'Я'Us
25-01-10, 05:08
It sucks. I try not to think about it and enjoy my life because it could all end any second.

Aranara
25-01-10, 05:43
I never think about death. I get distracted.
For example: I now try to think about death ut all that comes in my mind is Happy Three Friends and my Maths homework :pi: And face it, that's just killing.

LaraLuvrrr
25-01-10, 07:09
I think death is just as natural as birth. And I think it would be interesting to see what happens after we die. I don't believe that it is the end at all. We are transmuted into something else. What that is I dont know...

After you've experienced what this world has to offer I think that moving on to the next phase is an interesting experience and not something that should be viewed as "the end" or w/e

And if it really is the end then it will be like when you are asleep. Just eternal peace. But everything in nature is part of a system and a cycle. I dont see anything just stop and "the end." This world is just our brain's interpretation of it. When we die that will cease to exist and who knows what reality we will be a part of.

lcaddict
25-01-10, 07:35
The idea of death and end of the world scares me bad..Like every time before I go to bed I think of the next day, and I'm like:"Am I gonna die tomorrow by a car accident? Or is the end coming? Maybe my cat'll die..":yik:
And the only problem is that I can't take those things out of my mind...

Admles
25-01-10, 09:12
Death will come when it comes, however it is preferable to put it off for as long as possible. Once it happens, your existence ends and you become wormfood.

No point stressing about it, it is inevitable, and once it happens you no longer have any concerns any more.

ace_85
25-01-10, 09:28
My views on death are pretty simple really; you check in when you're born, and at some point later you gotta check back out again. I don't understand the fear thing around death - everyone celebrates births with all the fanfare they can muster, but dying is the opposite side of exactly the same coin. Surely we should then take the opportunity, equally, to celebrate that person's life.

At least in western culture, the whole dying business is swept under the carpet - a huge proportion of people haven't written out wills, undertakers always have huge curtains covering the windows lest any of us careless alive people get reminded of what's (let's be honest) unequivocably headed our way someday. It seems crazy to me. I much prefer the Mayan take on things, where people are actively introduced to the concept of death from an early age as an inseparable part of life. It demystifies the whole process, and I imagine helps to take a lot of the fear factor out of things

MattTR
25-01-10, 09:40
It sucks. I try not to think about it and enjoy my life because it could all end any second.

Same here.

Death in itself is scary and the saddest part of life.. I have experienced the lose of a few close people in my life, but I'm not going to think about it anymore then I have to. :o

Endow
25-01-10, 09:42

erosan
25-01-10, 09:46
Up until i was 16 the thought of death never crossed my mind it was just there. But when i saw my brother die that year, all my beliefs did a 360. The thought of absolute darkness and no conciseness just doesn't feel right. I know that after death something will happend, and that you will see the dead ones once more. Its not something that I hope, its not something that I wish, its something that i KNOW, something that I feel. I know that I will see him again.

Like it has been said before, energy does not just fade away.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
25-01-10, 12:13
What scares me is the possibility (and scientifically speaking - likely possibility) that the whole afterlife story is pure fantasy. Then we're faced with the prospect of everything we ever were blinking out of existence, which terrifies me. I think this is why people have children, since it gives us a feeling at least, that (hopefully), the best of us will be able to continue on. I've been married for 3 years now and have no children, but I'm starting to think more seriously about it (for many reasons, not just this).

However an interesting way of thinking about it - There were billions of years in play before I existed, and I was perfectly ok with that (since I didn't actually exist), so who knows?

Archetype
25-01-10, 12:21
It's rather strange to think that at some point in time you'll cease to exist. I'm personally not scared of death, I would just hope mine is quick and painless.
Hopefully I'll end up in Heaven :)

digitizedboy
25-01-10, 12:40
The thing that scares me more about death is how my loved ones deal with it. The thought of them grieving indefinitely over the loss of someone they love is something very hard for me to deal with.

Emotions by proxy. Empathy. The bane of my existence.

Yes, that's the most depressing thing about death in general.

Dennis's Mom
25-01-10, 13:00
I don't fear death, especially since my mother died in 93. Some days I can't wait to die just so I can speak to her again.

For those afraid of "judgment", fret not. As a Christian, I believe it's Jesus doing the grading, and boy, does he grade on one heck of a curve. :P

LightningRider
25-01-10, 13:09
I don't dear death. But my oh my I hope I don't end up in a coffin. I wouldn't wanna wake up there! :eek:

Dennis's Mom
25-01-10, 13:38
I don't dear death. But my oh my I hope I don't end up in a coffin. I wouldn't wanna wake up there! :eek:

Lay out in the open with me! :D

Angel666
25-01-10, 13:44
Funny timing for this thread. My grandmother, of whom I was very fond, died at 3:15 pm on Sat. Jan 23. Obviously death is inevitable, no sense in arguing that, but what scares me more is A.) leaving my friends behind to deal with it and B.) that in ten years time, nobody will give a ****. I think that's (subconsciously at least) why I am an artist. To make my mark on the world. Or at least try. I am not a religious person, but I definitely believe in some sort of afterlife. Reincarnation at least. The idea that after you die, it's just a big black void of nothingness is too depressing for me to even contemplate.

asherz
25-01-10, 15:09
I'm really worried about death so I tend not to think about it. :/ I love the idea of reincarnation and I like hearing that people believe that it happens, but I just don't think it's very likely. I wish I did :(

irjudd
25-01-10, 15:19
I subscribe to the "you cease to exist" belief. No magical floating things, no turning into a panda. Just gone.

Angel666
25-01-10, 15:27
I subscribe to the "you cease to exist" belief. No magical floating things, no turning into a panda. Just gone.

But that's so depressing. :(

irjudd
25-01-10, 15:48
But that's so depressing. :(

I understand that, but I would need to be shown a good reason to believe anything otherwise. I'm not the kind of person that is inclined to believe something just because it feels better to.

Dennis's Mom
25-01-10, 15:54
That's the only reason to believe in something--the joy and comfort it brings.

irjudd
25-01-10, 15:56
So then why do some people believe that there is a place of torment called hell? That can't bring any joy or comfort.

rowanlim
25-01-10, 16:13
It's a natural process. What matters is the legacy we leave behind us.

Dennis's Mom
25-01-10, 16:16
I could get into a deep philosophical discussion of "hell" but that's probably not for this thread. :D

xMiSsCrOfTx
25-01-10, 16:19
I think about it from time to time. A lot more these past few years (after losing two of my grandparents who were extremely close to me). It's not like I'm depressed/obsessed with death or think about it all the time or anything, but I do think about it considerably more than I used to. I don't know; I'm still undecided about what happens "after" we die, I think it's impossible to know for sure until it happens, I guess.

Chocola teapot
25-01-10, 16:35
Death to me is a scary thought... It's always around the corner... creeping up.

And you can never escape... No-one ever has.

My mind has to go somewhere when I die though...

tranniversary119
25-01-10, 17:55
Anything unknown freaks me out; like whats BEYOND the universe. I think death will be peaceful; I just have no idea what happens after.

Jo269976
25-01-10, 18:09
Meh, you live, you die. Death is just an important part of life as birth is. The important thing is how you spend your time before you die, the impact you leave on this world before ceasing to exist, just as you did before you were born.

HURLEYstickmen
25-01-10, 18:43
I believe that there is one, just ONE particular cell in all the body that is the soul. When you die, that soul travels at the speed of time itself to a new body being born, somewhere out there in the Universe...

Chocola teapot
25-01-10, 18:58
I believe that there is one, just ONE particular cell in all the body that is the soul. When you die, that soul travels at the speed of time itself to a new body being born, somewhere out there in the Universe...

Perhaps In an alien body?

tonyme
25-01-10, 19:39
I've never lost someone I love, so I've never really dealt with loss. Now when it comes to death in general, I do believe in the afterlife.

Endow
25-01-10, 21:31

toxicraider
25-01-10, 22:01
I don't fear being dead, or what might happen, but I wouldn't want my family and friends to suffer my loss.

Edit;
Perhaps In an alien body?
reincarnating in a frog or something....

Well, I wouldn't mind the green skin, makes a change. :D

LaraLuvrrr
26-01-10, 03:50

Ok here's the problem with that way of thinking. You see something die and it disappears so you trust your sense of sight and think it's the end. Your sense of sight cannot see atoms. It can't see the entire universe yet it exists. It can't see **** without scientific experiments that find out what is not perceivable to the eye.

Science takes time to explain what is unknown. Death is unknown. Doctors do not even know what constitutes death. Is it lack of pulse? People have had no pulse and come back to life after hours lying dead with no pulse in an emergency room.

We can only base our knowledge on what we have discovered at the time we are speaking. I'm sure cavemen would have never dreamed of all the technology we have and all the cosmos that existed outside of their little bubble of reality.

So I find it foolish to discard any explanation for an afterlife and simply just say it is "the end." Because there is no end in any natural system. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed only transmuted.

And if you really wanna wreck your brain look into quantum theory and quantum physics. How do you know you are actually living right now? Can you really just trust your senses? Scientists have found one atom can be in various places at the SAME time. What if we are both alive and dead at the same time. If time is an illusion then how do we know for sure we are "born" and "die." What if we are always alive we just simply slip into another plane of reality after we "die" in this one?

And since I see Neo as your avatar here's a thought from the matrix. After Neo "died" and was taken out of the matrix was he nothingness? No he just slipped out of that reality and into another one. What if we are in a matrix of forms and we only think it is real because our brain tricks us into thinking it is? Again can you only rely on your senses?

ajrich17901
26-01-10, 05:05
Honestly I don't think about it much because it tends to get me thinking to much to the point I get down and out. So honestly I just ignore the subject anymore. Why worry about something you can't control.

Alex Shepherd
26-01-10, 05:29

Nobody really knows when he'll die, so it doesn't depend on age, babies die, teenagers die, nobody knows when, where, and how...

Talking about death, scientists can't really test it, or study it, if they do, they must die and then come back to life :p
I know that most of people will blame me, but to take the subject about God, he hid many things from us, or if people don't believe in him, then there are things that are hidden from us, if we think about it, then we're going to be crazy... We call it "Elm al gaib" Means "The science of absence"
No one can really know where he was before he born
No one really know when he'll go after he dies
No one know how he just get started...

And many more... But if we want to continue thinking about these, then we're gonna go crazy, so that's why its hidden, so live life normally, and be it and one day you'll die just like anybody else...

Raider Man

Uzi master
26-01-10, 06:43
Similar situation here. As I see it, if all these religions exist, we're going to hell either way. If the scientists are right...suckage. I'd like to believe energy doesn't just fade away and its a theory that's kept me from being totally atheistic and yeah, like you, I'd like to stay alive...hopefully there will be some kind of a breakthrough in our lifetime.

okay, I wont bother reading it all, just cause I'm an Athiest doesn't mean I think nothing happens, of course something will, I just don't know what.

shadow_fire
26-01-10, 06:51
I have many thoughts on death. I think about it alot actually.

Growing up I was brough up to believe in the whole heaven and hell concept, but now Im not too sure on that right now. I kinda see that as a fairy tale. I mean what happend to the people who are stuck in the grey area...do they really deserve to go to hell?

Depending on when you ask me I think of it in different ways, but never as an ending.
Sometimes I see it as an escape from this life, not and ending but a way out. like a release from the chains that bind you here.

I believe in the afterlife I guess, both ghosts and in recarnation. I dont believe that we just dissapare into nothingness. but we continue on in some form or another.

I know that death will reach us all someday when our time comes, not before nor after.

Alex Shepherd
26-01-10, 07:14
I have many thoughts on death. I think about it alot actually.

Growing up I was brough up to believe in the whole heaven and hell concept, but now Im not too sure on that right now. I kinda see that as a fairy tale. I mean what happend to the people who are stuck in the grey area...do they really deserve to go to hell?

Depending on when you ask me I think of it in different ways, but never as an ending.
Sometimes I see it as an escape from this life, not and ending but a way out. like a release from the chains that bind you here.

I believe in the afterlife I guess, both ghosts and in recarnation. I dont believe that we just dissapare into nothingness. but we continue on in some form or another.

I know that death will reach us all someday when our time comes, not before nor after.

What grey area?!

Raider Man

shadow_fire
26-01-10, 07:25
well the grey area between good and evil, right and wrong, life and death,

Alex Shepherd
26-01-10, 07:42
OK!

The nescient people (Don't know any about religion, soceity, the beginner people) Don't have punishement

But nobody stands in the grey area, as we all make good and evil, but thats every person will not be punished in forever in his entire life, entire world, but its for an exact time, and they will rest in peace...

But to tell you, God decide and not we, so I don't really know...

Raider Man

shadow_fire
26-01-10, 07:53
but they do.
Even in church they go on about how the people who sit on the fence go to hell any way. So its all or nothing aparently.

January_Snow*
26-01-10, 08:03
We die, our soul travels and we get reborn, simple as that, now I dont beleve that we reincarnate to cows and frogs, but people...

CerebralAssassin
26-01-10, 08:34
think nothing more of it.when the time comes,it'll think of you.

disapearing-boy
26-01-10, 16:10

Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for my life. I enjoy certain things - where i live, my family, all iv been given - im grateful for it all. But the pain and suffering gets to me and i wish it away.

Maybe your an empath or something.. and maybe if you randomly stumble upon a person needing help alot, then it's not random? Maybe something, a higher power led you there?

In some works of science fiction and fantasy, empathy is understood to be a paranormal or psychic ability to sense the emotions of others, as opposed to telepathy, which allows one to perceive thoughts as well. A person who has that ability is also called an "empath" or "telempath" in this context. Occasionally these empaths are also able to project their own emotions, or to affect the emotions of others.

I know it's really out there but you never know!;)

lara c. fan
26-01-10, 17:10
In some works of science fiction and fantasy, empathy is understood to be a paranormal or psychic ability to sense the emotions of others, as opposed to telepathy, which allows one to perceive thoughts as well. A person who has that ability is also called an "empath" or "telempath" in this context. Occasionally these empaths are also able to project their own emotions, or to affect the emotions of others.

I know it's really out there but you never know!;)

Not to pick many holes here, But Science-Fiction and Fantasy.

They're not real...

Big Matt
26-01-10, 19:33
There are two different meanings for death in my opinion. One is when a person exists -- they breathe, eat, sleep, walk, talk, do things -- but they don't experience true life -- joy, peace, happiness, excitement, motivation, contentment, fulfillment. In my opinion that is a very real form of death. The other (that this thread is referencing) is when a person ceases to exist in this world, when they pass away, when their body no longer has life in it.

I don't fear my own death. No doubt, the primary reason for this is because I believe unwaveringly in Heaven and Hell and that I will be residing in the better of those two places. (No I don't believe simply because it "feels good," or because some preacher might have told me so, I believe because of what I have experienced in my life.) While I don't fear my own death, I'm not ready for it either. What I do not want to happen is to die before I get to do what I'm supposed to do in this life or to die before I get to actually experience (the above mentioned) true life. Neither can I afford to die while others depend on me.

As far as loved ones dying, it is a pain that's like no other. In January of 2007 my grandmother died. Ten months later, in October of that year, my grandfather died. I was the full time caregiver for both of them. I deeply cherished them both. Nine months later in 2008 my mother died. Eight months after than in 2009 (ten months ago) my father died -- only a couple of weeks after I joined this forum. Not only was I his caregiver but, he was the best friend I've ever had in this world. We relied heavily on one another. We came to understand one another and shared a deep friendship. The pain and emptiness of losing him, even ten months later, can only be described as overwhelming agony.

Haley, I agree with Rai. You have a very unique gift of sensitivity and caring. It can be a great blessing (especially to others) and at times it can be an uncarryable burden. I know this from personal experience. You are so young and it is definitely harder to live and deal with at your age. Usually such sensitivity comes paired with a predisposition toward selflessness, as you also seem to have. These traits are admirable, and desirable, and they make you a treasure of a human being, but they come with a price. They make you vulnerable and far more susceptible to emotional, physical, and spiritual depletion.

If the world were as it should be, everyone would protect and value people like you but, the world isn't, so the burden of being aware of yourself and caring for your own unique needs falls to you. Perhaps the most valuable word you can use and put into practice is "no". "No" to this emotion. "No" to this person. "No" to this animal. "No I will not bleed every last drop of my heart and soul into this problem or concern because I cannot afford to right now."

I know, it sounds selfish and feels wrong but it is how highly sensitive and selfless people manage to survive and retain their sanity. You don't need to say "no" to everything but be aware of your own needs and limitations both in general and at the particular moment and honestly assess the priorities and true needs of those whom you might pour yourself into.