PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation - yes/no for you?

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:22
It's a subject I havn't really heard discussed much... but the death thread made me think of this.

Would you want to be an organ doner, are you?

I don't know :( i want to help someone in need but the idea of someone cutting my body open terrifys me. I know i won't know about it but.... i sorta want to be buried WHOLE

i feel really bad for thinking this

Your thoughts xxx

lara c. fan
24-01-10, 23:22
If it saves a life, yes.

Minty Mouth
24-01-10, 23:23
I would love to be an organ donor.

I have no adversion to people doing whatever they want with my body after I die.... :pi:

...or even before :mis:

Catracoth
24-01-10, 23:24
No thanks. I don't appreciate the thought of people probing my body for my organs. Not really respectful to the dead. I mean, if someone needs it, someone needs it, just please, not from me :p.

AmericanAssassin
24-01-10, 23:25
I've never understood why people would say no to this. It seems selfish to me. You no longer need the parts and it could save lives. :)

So, that's an obvious YES from me. :p

I was not commenting on anybody. I was just speaking generally. ;)

robm_2007
i am not an organ donor. and i was going to register online, and thought, what if i died tomorrow? that would have been quite a coincidence. i would like to register eventually. i want to be cremated AND buried, cuz i dont want someone to spill or lose my ashes, lol.

patriots88888
Your thoughts xxx

Don't feel bad. It's your body, you have the right to do whatever you want in this regard. I'm not donating any of mine either for personal reasons.

Lara's home
24-01-10, 23:26
It's insane not to, imo. I plan on donating both blood and my parts of my liver once I am old enough. And when I'm dead, I want to donate the organs that are functional.
I find it incredibly selfish not to save others lives when you're going to die anyway. (Regarding donating after you're dead)

Catracoth
24-01-10, 23:26
I've never understood why people would say no to this. It seems selfish to me. You no longer need the parts and it could save lives.

Maybe some people just want to keep the things they were born with? I don't know the reasons of others. Mine is above, for future reference.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:27
Don't feel bad. It's your body, you have the right to do whatever you want in this regard. I'm not donating any of mine either for personal reasons.

thankyou but like AmericanAssassin said - i feel selfish for not doing so.

I just hate the idea :o

lara c. fan
24-01-10, 23:28

We're entitled to our own opinion :hug:

robm_2007
are there any religions that would be against organ donating upon death? like, you have to be buried whole (except for the organs/limbs you lost while alive)

Mad Tony
Not my thing (doesn't make me selfish or crazy btw), but if others want to do it that's fine. What I do oppose however is laws that would make it so that you'd have to opt out of organ donation.

Cochrane
24-01-10, 23:29
I'm thinking it's a good idea, it's just something I don't want to actively do. I occasionally see such a card, and it has a field "What organs/stuff should not be removed", and I start thinking "Well, I'd like to keep my brain… also eyes… okay, what parts of me could I do without when I'm dead?"… It's just something I don't want to think about.

I think there are or at least were countries where you were an organ donor by default, unless you opted out. I really prefer that, and I would not opt out under such a scheme.

AmericanAssassin
24-01-10, 23:30
Maybe some people just want to keep the things they were born with? I don't know the reasons of others. Mine is above, for future reference.

If you don't want to be a giving person after death, that's your choice. I, however, want to help as many people as possible in life and death.

Evan C.
Not me.I am not selfish at all,but this is so personal and deep.

Lara's home
are there any religions that would be against organ donating upon death? like, you have to be buried whole (except for the organs/limbs you lost while alive)
I think Islam is against the idea. Not sure on the other religions, but I at least think christians and jews have the same policy. Something about disturbing the soul or something, I dunno.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:31
//

TRenTIs
24-01-10, 23:31
I don't want some stranger peeing with my kidney!

Lara's home
24-01-10, 23:33
I would love to give blood but im severely anaemic and my blood is useless. I actually need a blood transfusion its tht bad but im scared and so i wont get it.

What's scary about it?

Cochrane
24-01-10, 23:35
Not my thing (doesn't make me selfish or crazy btw), but if others want to do it that's fine. What I do oppose however is laws that would make it so that you'd have to opt out of organ donation.

Why? It would still be your choice, after all, and I guess your relatives could also object to it after you died (at least with all such laws I am aware of).

Catracoth

Hayley, I hardly think that's something to be considered selfish. I know how you are--you are an incredibly kind, giving, and loving young woman. You're far from selfish. You have your own personal reasons for not feeling comfortable being dissected for your internal organs, and that's fine. Don't feel obligated to do it just because you're afraid to be labelled "selfish" by other people.

If you don't want to be a giving person after death, that's your choice. I, however, want to help as many people as possible in life and death.

Good for you :tmb:.

Bongo Fury
I'm all for it. If it were my call it would be mandatory. No exceptions.

xXhayleyroxXx
What's scary about it?

i hate hospitals - iv got some weird phobia of them. I hate needles. I hated the fact i was weak and helpless last time i went under the gas and my mum was looking at me sadly. I hated the fact i just wanted to die to stop my negative feelings.

its definately a no :o

@catracoth - thanks hunni *hugs* - it's good to know we feel the same - i'll never stop feeling selfish about it but i doubt i'll be a doner. I'm gonna have to make up for it in life. You're very kind xxxx

AmericanAssassin
24-01-10, 23:36
I'm all for it. If it were my call it would be mandatory. No exceptions.

I agree. :tmb: Doing so is making the world a better and easier place to live in. :)

Lara's home
I think there are or at least were countries where you were an organ donor by default, unless you opted out. I really prefer that, and I would not opt out under such a scheme.

It's like that in Spain, if I remember correctly, and I think it's really better than the other way around, like it's in Norway. Especially considering the fact that we don't have enough organs to begin with.

Lara's Nemesis
I'm an organ donor, I'm sure I will have no use for them after I die and am cremated.

I think that law would be a good idea, if you care about keeping your organs after death then it shouldn't be that big a task opting out. Would help to save a lot of lives as well.

patriots88888
24-01-10, 23:37
It's insane not to, imo. I plan on donating both blood and my parts of my liver once I am old enough. And when I'm dead, I want to donate the organs that are functional.
I find it incredibly selfish not to save others lives when you're going to die anyway. (Regarding donating after you're dead)

Well, as you stated in your other post about spiritual beliefs, you can't call others selfish if there's a deeper, more personal reason for not doing so. By doing so, that in itself would be a selfish attitude to have by judging others for their beliefs.

matrix54
24-01-10, 23:38
sure, but all they can take is my appendix and tonsils. i'm sure if someone needs that, they can have it :)

Lara's home
24-01-10, 23:39
Well, as you stated in your other post about spiritual beliefs, you can't call others selfish if there's a deeper, more personal reason for not doing so. By doing so, that in itself would be a selfish attitude to have by judging others for their beliefs.

That's true. I guess I should have said that I exclude people who do it because of religious reasons. (I disagree with them though).

Cochrane
24-01-10, 23:40

That would have to be an extremely good deep personal reason though, considering that there are people who have a good chance of dying because of your choice. Of course, it only needs to satisfy you, and I am absolutely against forcing anyone to donate organs. Personally, though, I don't see how belief in a religion could justify that. It couldn't for me, but then I don't believe in any religion to begin with so maybe I just don't "get it".

digitizedboy
24-01-10, 23:41
Yeah I registered for a doner card, but I didn't tick in the box where it said "Liver". Who'd want my pickled liver?

Catracoth
24-01-10, 23:42
@catracoth - thanks hunni *hugs* - it's good to know we feel the same - i'll never stop feeling selfish about it but i doubt i'll be a doner. I'm gonna have to make up for it in life. You're very kind xxxx

Just saying it as it is dear :hug:. I'm confident that throughout your entire life, you'll do enough generous things to make calling you selfish an invalid statement :hug:.

AmericanAssassin
24-01-10, 23:44
I don't recall anybody saying she was a selfish person. Giving people take part in selfish acts sometimes. And vice versa...

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:44
Just saying it as it is dear :hug:. I'm confident that throughout your entire life, you'll do enough generous things to make calling you selfish an invalid statement :hug:.

I hope you're right :hug: i really do. I'm really proud of people for donating, i wish i could do the same :o The weird thing is id donate something i wouldnt really need to ensure someone from my family lived.

:o

patriots88888
24-01-10, 23:46
That would have to be an extremely good deep personal reason though, considering that there are people who have a good chance of dying because of your choice. Of course, it only needs to satisfy you, and I am absolutely against forcing anyone to donate organs. Personally, though, I don't see how belief in a religion could justify that. It couldn't for me, but then I don't believe in any religion to begin with so maybe I just don't "get it".

I never used the word(s) religion or religious. I specifically said spiritual. There is a difference.

TRfan23
24-01-10, 23:49
Personally I wouldn't mind and probably would, but because of my own medical problems I'm disallowed :( Same applies for giving blood, though when I've have had blood tests at hospital I tend to faint. So giving vast amounts of blood might just jump the bandwagon.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:50
Personally I wouldn't mind and probably would, but because of my own medical problems I'm disallowed :( Same applies for giving blood.

aww no whats up with you :(

Catracoth
24-01-10, 23:50
I hope you're right :hug: i really do. I'm really proud of people for donating, i wish i could do the same :o The weird thing is id donate something i wouldnt really need to ensure someone from my family lived.

:o

See what I mean? Your heart, like always, is in the right place :hug:.

TRfan23
24-01-10, 23:51
aww no whats up with you :(

Congenital Heart Defect - Pulmonary Atresia.

Cochrane
24-01-10, 23:52
I never used the word(s) religion or religious. I specifically said spiritual. There is a difference.

Okay. To be honest, I have a problem with the word spiritual, as it seems to mean something different to everyone you ask, but I guess the same reasoning applies: You ought to know for yourself that it's a better reason than just a general "I don't really like the thought".

This "I don't really like the thought" is, of course, exactly my position. One day I'll get around to becoming an organ donor, I just suck…

xXhayleyroxXx
24-01-10, 23:53
See what I mean? Your heart, like always, is in the right place :hug:.

you're too kind hunni :hug:

Congenital Heart Defect - Pulmonary Atresia.

aww no, i'm sorry to hear this :(:hug: xxx

VictorXD
24-01-10, 23:59
I don't see what's wrong with donating an organ. I will no longer them anyway:p I don't think who don't want to donate organs, should have organs donated to them.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-01-10, 00:02
I don't see what's wrong with donating an organ. I will no longer them anyway:p I don't think who don't want to donate organs, should have organs donated to them.

i guess i could understand that. If i'm gonna die - if my hearts gonna fail me - i guess i DONT deserve someone's heart.

Cochrane
25-01-10, 00:03

Personally, I think those who need to have organs donated to them don't make good donors anyway, so I guess this is a moot point.

Anyway, though, when I do get around to registering, I would not mind my organs going to people who wouldn't give me theirs. Someone's got to set an example, after all. More importantly, though, their worth comes from them being humans. Everybody is worth saving, no matter who they are, what they did or what they would or would not do.

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 00:04

That's an interesting point. :pi: I can see that being a good system. If you're set to be a donor and your parts fail you, you should get moved higher on the donation list than those people who don't intend to donate. It's a fair system.

Rai
25-01-10, 00:07
I signed up for organ donation just the other day. It does kind of gross me out, the thought of the autopsy, but I remind myself that it won't be me anymore, just a body. Also of course it means that someone out there will hopefully benefit from my organs and they will live on after me.

Lara's Nemesis
25-01-10, 00:12
I think it is a tough decision for some younger people to make, I'm pretty sure I was against it to some extent when I was in my teens.

I'm fairly sure some who are against it now will change their minds in the future.

Ikas90
25-01-10, 00:12
If my organs will be taken and donated after I'm dead, and not while I'm still alive, I'll be all for it.

But from what I've heard; all it takes is for you to be unconscious on a hospital bed for them to take your organs. So I'm not trusting.

VictorXD
25-01-10, 00:14
^If they do so, its completely illegal:wve:

Rai
25-01-10, 00:14
^ I would definitely want the doctors to be 1000% sure I was gone before they cut me open first. But yeah, after that, you can have whatever is needed.

Ward Dragon
25-01-10, 00:15
I don't really like to think about it because I'm a little superstitious that thinking about it will make it happen :o But anyway, after having a learner's permit for a few years and then getting my driver's license, a few months ago I finally checked off the box on the back and signed it saying I wanted to donate organs. I don't know if there's any other paperwork I would need to do, and to be honest it didn't even occur to me to find out until reading this thread with other people saying they got special organ donor cards and forms and whatnot.

Rai
25-01-10, 00:18
^ I think once you're on the register, they match your details to your medical records, so it will be noted that you are a donor.

VictorXD
25-01-10, 00:19
^ I would definitely want the doctors to be 1000% sure I was gone before they cut me open first. But yeah, after that, you can have whatever is needed.

I think they take off your organs, just after u died. Except when u have brain dead. I don't really know...

Lemmie
25-01-10, 00:20
I haven't yet registered, but definitely giving it thought. I'm pretty sure I'm not dis-allowed from organ donation, even though I can't actually donate blood. :mad:

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 00:21
Why? It would still be your choice, after all, and I guess your relatives could also object to it after you died (at least with all such laws I am aware of).But what about those who weren't informed that you could opt out or weren't informed that there was a law like that at all?

Your body shouldn't be turned over to the state for them to do what they want with it as soon as you die. That's why I'd prefer opt in and not opt out.

Indiana Croft
25-01-10, 00:23
I'm pretty sure I'm an organ donor. I'll have to check but if i'm not I'll have to become one because I totally believe in it.:)

T-Sex
25-01-10, 00:24
Id be happy for them to take my organs away AFTER i die.

Dennis's Mom
25-01-10, 00:25
I'm a donor. They can have it all, and what ever's leftover is going to science. I really want to be one of those bodies they leave out in the open for forensic science students to study.

I just really like the idea of living on in someone else's body and affecting lives long after I'm gone. Who knows what I could help accomplish after death? Cure cancer, solve a mystery. Death is only the beginning. I know it's fashionable to slow down after death, but I've always bucked trends. :D

FYI, even if you've signed the back of your license or something else, be sure your family knows your wishes. Once you're dead, your relatives' wishes will trump yours. Talk about it if you really want it to happen.

Lara's Nemesis
25-01-10, 00:25
I don't really like to think about it because I'm a little superstitious that thinking about it will make it happen :o But anyway, after having a learner's permit for a few years and then getting my driver's license, a few months ago I finally checked off the box on the back and signed it saying I wanted to donate organs. I don't know if there's any other paperwork I would need to do, and to be honest it didn't even occur to me to find out until reading this thread with other people saying they got special organ donor cards and forms and whatnot.

That's how I became a donor as well, I'd never bothered to get a card before for one reason or another. When I got my licence I just thought what the heck, didn't really have to give it too much thought.

Armber
25-01-10, 00:26
It would be impossible for me, that boy ate my heart, and then he ate my brain.

EmeraldFields
I'm an organ donor. I figured that I won't be needing my organs after I'm dead so I might as well let someone else have a second chance.

Brikas94
I totally aggree on organ donation. My death saves a life:).

And I don't mind about cutting my body open, since I'll be dead.

Phlip
25-01-10, 00:28
How come the doner can live without a certain organ, but not the patient?

Mokono
25-01-10, 00:30

Here. And i voted out inmediately after i turned 18... Why? Because, sadly for those in need, the system doesn't work as it should be. On a first instance there's the traffic that lucrates selling unidentified bodies to universities (animals are less lucky, since those who run from home are taken away by third parties and sold to veterinary faculties). On a second instance, there're the cases of those who had a car accident and survived, just to be left until they died (if they were donors), because the donor condition is printed along with private data in the ID, so if by any chance someone spots your "donor" condition in the quoted document, you'll end up in a waiting list, or maybe not even make it to the hospital. And on a third instance, many doctors ask for an special payment to transplant an organ that was given to them freely, that in my oppinion, is plain wrong. If this country ends up fixing the current situation, i'll be the first to appeal for a change in my condition, until then, i'll have to keep my body to myself. As a footnote, i'd donate to a relative (without having to be dead) if they were in need of liver cells or a kidney, or a bone marrow transplant.

TRfan23

Not when you're dead ;)

Minty Mouth

I think you've missed the point.

Vickkyyy
25-01-10, 00:31
If you're perfectly healthy, i don't see why not!

lara c. fan
25-01-10, 00:32

Sometimes, in the case of kidneys at least, there are two of them, if they both fail, you'll die soon. Only one is needed to keep the body running, however :)

Rai
25-01-10, 00:32

Organ donors are dead when their organs are taken to give to someone else. I think it is possible to donate organs that we can live with just one, but normally you donate after you die. Obviously, anyone can donate blood, they just take a little out. It replenishes after a while, so you're okay.

LC.F said it: Kidneys, that's the organ I was trying to remember as I typed.

Ada the Mental
25-01-10, 00:35
Never really thought about it until now...
Sure, the idea grosses me out a little, but the organs won't be of any use to me and it's not like I'll be able to give a damn after I'm dead. So why not?

My real concern is something like this:

But from what I've heard; all it takes is for you to be unconscious on a hospital bed for them to take your organs. So I'm not trusting.
I wouldn't like someone to pull a plug on me just to take my organs if I fell into a coma or whatnot.

TRfan23
25-01-10, 00:38
I wouldn't like someone to pull a plug on me just to take my organs if I fell into a coma or whatnot.

I'm more concerned about being paralyzed and thought to be dead, then burying me :( Or even doing an autopsy.

Phlip
25-01-10, 00:40
Not when you're dead ;)

I never knew. XD

Minty Mouth
25-01-10, 00:40
I'm more concerned about being paralyzed and thought to be dead, then burying me :( Or even doing an autopsy.

Wouldn't you have a heartbeat?

TRfan23
25-01-10, 00:41
Wouldn't you have a heartbeat?

Not for all paralysis, some your body goes into complete standstill (heartbeat goes very low etc...) but your still alive and feel. God if you were in that state and they did an autopsy, imagine the pain! :eek:

larafan25
25-01-10, 00:43
what I am afraid of is the thing nobody can answer, what if we can still feel stuff after death? or we are technically still alive, or we need them for something after our life....what would we do!:O

I am just paranoid, I might donate my organs, MAYBE.:)

lara c. fan
Not for all paralysis, some your body goes into complete standstill (heartbeat goes very low etc...) but your still alive and feel. God if you were in that state and they did an autopsy, imagine the pain! :eek:

Heartbeat goes very low?
If they do a proper test to see if you're dead, wouldn't they sense that?

Minty Mouth

If you were paralyzed to that level, would you still feel pain?

I'm not a biologist :p

Ward Dragon
Here. And i voted out inmediately after i turned 18... Why? Because, sadly for those in need, the system doesn't work as it should be. On a first instance there's the traffic that lucrates selling unidentified bodies to universities (animals are less lucky, since those who run from home are taken away by third parties and sold to veterinary faculties). On a second instance, there're the cases of those who had a car accident and survived, just to be left until they died (if they were donors), because the donor condition is printed along with private data in the ID, so if by any chance someone spots your "donor" condition in the quoted document, you'll end up in a waiting list, or maybe not even make it to the hospital. And on a third instance, many doctors ask for an special payment to transplant an organ that was given to them freely, that in my oppinion, is plain wrong. If this country ends up fixing the current situation, i'll be the first to appeal for a change in my condition, until then, i'll have to keep my body to myself. As a footnote, i'd donate to a relative (without having to be dead) if they were in need of liver cells or a kidney, or a bone marrow transplant.

That's terrifying :eek: I hope they realize I'm a donor after I'm dead (but soon enough that the organs are still good)

da tomb raider!
25-01-10, 00:44
I'm fine with the actual organ donating, and I plan to donate pretty much all of the organs in my chest area when I die - the only thing that I don't like about it is that when I'm buried, I don't want to look like I was attacked by a chainsaw-wielding cannibal. I'll overlook it, though, since I'm guessing they'll stuff me full of straw or something to fatten me up (plus hopefully I won't be topless at my funeral). My brain's not being donated, of course, because apart from the fact that it doesn't exist, you can't really cover that up with straw or something.

And I realise that I probably look awfully shallow worrying about what I look like at my funeral here, but it's not so much about me - if I was at the funeral of someone who I liked, I wouldn't really like to see them scarred and all that, and I imagine it's the same case with people who like me (Queal?).

larafan25
25-01-10, 00:46

This scares the crap out of me, almost puts me off the whole idea O.O

Ada the Mental
25-01-10, 00:48

I never understood those who want to get cremated out of fear of being buried alive. IMO, getting burnt alive would be worse than getting buried alive, but that's just me. The only upside I can see is that it'd be much quicker.

EDIT:
On a second instance, there're the cases of those who had a car accident and survived, just to be left until they died (if they were donors), because the donor condition is printed along with private data in the ID, so if by any chance someone spots your "donor" condition in the quoted document, you'll end up in a waiting list, or maybe not even make it to the hospital.
I've heard plenty of stories like that. It's horrible.

lara c. fan
25-01-10, 00:49
I never understood those who want to get cremated out of fear of being burried alive. IMO, getting burnt alive would be worse than getting buried alive but that's just me. The only upside I can see is that it'd be much quicker.

Those with strong claustrophobia...

larafan25
25-01-10, 00:50

exactly O.O

however I am terrified of both:p

I'd rather they just shoot my body up into space:p

lara c. fan
25-01-10, 00:51
They'd probably die from the shock of that before Oxygen deprivation, etc.

Lara's Nemesis
25-01-10, 00:51
I never understood those who want to get cremated out of fear of being burried alive. IMO, getting burnt alive would be worse than getting buried alive but that's just me. The only upside I can see is that it'd be much quicker.

I'm not sure of the exact figures but I'm pretty sure cremation would kill you almost instantly, you could live for quite a long time in a coffin.

Ada the Mental
25-01-10, 00:52

Yeah, there's that. But I know many people who are not at all claustrophobic and they always use this argument.
I guess I fear fire more that suffocating. *shudders*

larafan25
25-01-10, 00:53
I'm not sure of the exact figures but I'm pretty sure cremation would kill you almost instantly, you could live for quite a long time in a coffin.

This is what scares the crap out of me:O

If I did decide to be barried in a coffin, the coffin would be made of something that cannot deteriorate over time:p

lara c. fan
25-01-10, 00:54
Yeah, there's that. But I know many people who are not at all claustrophobic and they always use this argument.
I guess I fear fire more that suffocating. *shudders*

Long drawn-out death?
The feeling of suffocation?

There's a lot of things...

TRfan23
25-01-10, 00:54
If you were paralyzed to that level, would you still feel pain?

I'm not a biologist :p

Heartbeat goes very low?
If they do a proper test to see if you're dead, wouldn't they sense that?

I'm not a biologist either but there was a documentary on youtube about near death experiences, it was posted on TRF as well.

All cases were basically paralyzed and one had an autopsy done, though this one could only move his eyes after he had been taken out of his coffin. You could tell he felt the pain of the scalpel tearing through his chest, seeing as he opened his eyes like crazy to tell them. Plus they had said they could feel during the whole process, and yes nowadays with the technology these cases are very rare. Though a woman on there has had it happen recently where she nearly got buried, though she suffers from a disorder causing her whole body to collapse.

There has been some cases where people have gotten out of their paralysis and made scratch marks inside their coffins, obviously trying to escape.

And guys I've been reading your posts whilst previewing this. Just ask your parents to be buried with a bloody mobile phone LOL :D

Bongo Fury
25-01-10, 00:56
what I am afraid of is the thing nobody can answer, what if we can still feel stuff after death? or we are technically still alive, or we need them for something after our life..

well your tissue decomposes completely anyway so there is nothing you can keep

Lara's Nemesis
25-01-10, 00:56
This is what scares the crap out of me:O

If I did decide to be barried in a coffin, the coffin would be made of something that cannot deteriorate over time:p

If I was to be buried in a coffin I would want a fully charged mobile phone with me. Just hope I can get a signal 6 feet under.:p

Sir Croft
25-01-10, 00:57
I won't be needing them anymore, so why not?

ultima espio
25-01-10, 01:01
Hmm no. I'd rather keep my organs inside me...dont like thethought of being cut open for someone to run off with my kidneys.

On a related note, a lad i use to be friends with (i've mentioned him before) his dad is trying to change the law so that you HAVE to donate, then opt out if you dont like it. I dont like that idea tbh....

And that man is weird....he takes pictures of neighbourhood watch signs.....

larafan25
25-01-10, 01:11
If I was to be buried in a coffin I would want a fully charged mobile phone with me. Just hope I can get a signal 6 feet under.:p

ooo good idea, reminds me of that old story about the man who calls his widow after death:)

Trigger_happy
25-01-10, 02:14
On a related note, a lad i use to be friends with (i've mentioned him before) his dad is trying to change the law so that you HAVE to donate, then opt out if you dont like it.

I think that's a perfectly fine idea: once your dead, you don't need them. And if you want, you can sign out. I haven't yet, as I haven't tried really, and I've been on medication, so they wouldn't let me anyway.

Encore
25-01-10, 02:20
what I am afraid of is the thing nobody can answer, what if we can still feel stuff after death? or we are technically still alive, or we need them for something after our life....what would we do!:O

I am just paranoid, I might donate my organs, MAYBE.:)

I guess it all comes down to our beliefs.

I do believe that there's something after death, but whatever there is, it probably doesn't involve our bodies.

Personally I'm ok with donating my organs.

Tihocan9
25-01-10, 02:38
I am organ donor, and I am happy that if I were to die my death can bring life to someone else.

And if I were too need an organ I would hope someone would have donated it so I could live.

All I will need after I die is my soul so my body can be used for the good of the living if it is needed and whatever is not needed can be properly buried.

tranniversary119
25-01-10, 02:48
Yes, I am. However, I'm still not sure if I'm going to change it when I'm 18.

spikejones
25-01-10, 02:52
I'm a donor. I think everyone should be unless they have a disease that will kill the recipient. I mean, its not like you will be needing those organs once you are dead anyhow. If any part of me can be used to save the life of another when there is no chance for my own survival, I'd gladly give a part of me away.

rowanlim
25-01-10, 02:56
^:tmb:

Yes for me.

gbetch
25-01-10, 03:35
Well, as someone on the opposite end of the spectum (someone who needs an organ) i think it is rather selfish of someone to no be an organ donor. There are people who need those organ far more that you do (you will be dead, i seriously doubt you will get a whole lot of use out of them.)

Aranara
25-01-10, 05:45
If course I wouldn't donate my kidney, or other organs that I really need.
But if I can live without on of 'em, please, go ahead :D
The only thing in Romania is that you can't trust doctors.

Another Lara
25-01-10, 09:04
I'm already on the organ donors list, as I strongly believe in giving someone else the chance to live on a part of your body that has since been made redundant!

Is a strange way of saying you live on yourself.. kinda!:pi:

Admles
25-01-10, 09:06
Well on my license I chose to organ donation, because I won't have any use for then when I'm dead.

That said, it is a persons right to choose and nobody has any right do put pressure on anyone to become an organ donor, or to judge them for their decision.

jaywalker
25-01-10, 09:14
When my mum died a few years ago my brother and I had to make decision of letting her organs be used, and we said yes.. and we got letters of thanks from all these people who had said how they had benefited etc. Was really happy to know someone was going on living when my mum passed on.

A lot of people dont realise the amount of work that has to go into organ donation. Its not just a simple case of `oh they died, get their organs`. Everything has to happen under amazingly strict controls and timing, literally mins means difference between viable and not..

I will definitely be donating if i die.

ace_85
25-01-10, 09:15
I would definitely donate an organ, and indeed I'm actually already on my national register for organ donation. Someone else might as well benefit from my loss - it's not like I'm going to miss any of it, after all.

ShadyCroft
25-01-10, 10:05
I dunno. I mean I'd love to for sure and definitely want to help others :o, but the thought frightens me.

john_york
25-01-10, 10:08
Absolutely 'yes' for me. It's literally the last thing I'll ever be able to do to help other people, and one of the most valuable and important.

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 13:46
That said, it is a persons right to choose and nobody has any right do put pressure on anyone to become an organ donor, or to judge them for their decision.I agree. It's a shame some people can't state their view without resorting to calling the other side "selfish".

Angel666
25-01-10, 13:53
I am an organ donor. Like Admles said, "I won't need them when I'm dead." My cousin was killed a few years ago in a car accident and we got letters from the people who received her organs. While on one level I find it a little creepy that there is a kid walking around out there with her eyes (or cornea or whatever part of the eye they take out) it's comforting to know that some good came out of the ****ty situation and he can see now.

CuteKittenlol
25-01-10, 13:54
I've never understood why people would say no to this. It seems selfish to me. You no longer need the parts and it could save lives. :)

No-one has to, if you want to then thats fantastic, really it is, but if not, then thats fine, the person is under no obligation to and imo shouldn't be frowned upon for not doing so *shrug*

Personally i don't like the idea of it, and i doubt i'll become a donar, unless a close relative or friend for whatever reason needed a donar then sure i'd help because i know them and i know they'd look after it. I think its the thought of something of mine being in a body of whom i don't know and for all i know they could be a chain smoking alcoholic (obviously they wouldnt give an ogan to that kind of person but who's to say they won't turn into someone who does that). Is that me being paranoid..well maybe :p And having my body hacked to pieces after i'm dead..no thanks, they arent exactly neat about it and tbh i don't want my body mutillated like that, even if i'm dead its still mine, lol

So..it's a relatively definite no from me

Archetype
25-01-10, 14:19
No thanks. Want to be kept intact :p

Greenkey2
25-01-10, 14:52
Registered donor here. I'm certainly not going to have a use for all this fine workmanship after I die.

If someone can be saved or enjoy a better quality of life with their families when I'm in no position to need my organs any more, then it would be utterly wrong to prevent it.

My body is not me - it's just the place where I live for the moment.

VonCroy360
25-01-10, 14:53
Definitely yes. They won't be of much use to me when I'm dead and I like to believe that, if I'll be generous enough to give my organs, someone else might be as well, and that someone's might save my life one day.

Capt. Murphy
25-01-10, 15:13
I know i won't know about it but.... i sorta want to be buried WHOLE

If you don't give it to someone else that needs it/them - you will give them to the worms and bugs that will eat your body. :o

I guess if you hate bugs then (pledge to) become an organ donor upon your passing. That'll show em.

I haven't made that commitment... and I don't think I will. It would be nice if I did. There are many people in need of organs. :(

Edit: I'm O negative.

asherz
25-01-10, 15:19
I dunno. I mean I'd love to for sure and definitely want to help others :o, but the thought frightens me.

Same here..

HappyShannon
25-01-10, 15:59
I'd donate mine :o
I won't be needing them, so it's good I'll be helping someone, even if I'm not there. :D

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 16:02
No-one has to, if you want to then thats fantastic, really it is, but if not, then thats fine, the person is under no obligation to and imo shouldn't be frowned upon for not doing so *shrug*

That's fine. However, I think should my heart fail and yours does the same, I should be moved higher on the donor list than you. It's only fair. ;)

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 16:15
That's fine. However, I think should my heart fail and yours does the same, I should be moved higher on the donor list than you. It's only fair. ;)Why? Just because you intend to donate your organs when you die? Intention alone shouldn't put you higher up on the list.

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 16:18
If you want to take and not give, that's fine. I, however, don't think that way...

Ward Dragon
25-01-10, 16:19
Why? Just because you intend to donate your organs when you die? Intention alone shouldn't put you higher up on the list.

From a purely philosophical perspective here, if someone is against donating organs for whatever religious/spiritual/moral reason, then why wouldn't they be against receiving a donated organ too?

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 16:20
If you want to take and not give, that's fine. I, however, don't think that way...When did I say that? All I was saying is that at that point you will not have given anything either, therefore you are no more deserving of a new heart than Cutekitten.

@Ward Dragon: My reason has nothing to do with religion, and as far as I know some religious people do refuse blood transplants and stuff.

MiCkiZ88
25-01-10, 16:21
That's fine. However, I think should my heart fail and yours does the same, I should be moved higher on the donor list than you. It's only fair. ;)Since you are a doner, they are more likely letting you die so that they can use your healthy organs on someone else.

I'm torn between my beliefs/fears and the need to help others. Maybe for me.

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 16:21
When did I say that? All I was saying is that at that point you will not have given anything either, therefore you are no more deserving of a new heart than Cutekitten.

Okay, but I'm willing to give. To be honest, and this might sound bad (but I don't care), I truly do think that makes me more deserving than someone who doesn't plan on donating.

Since you are a doner, they are more likely letting you die so that they can use your healthy organs on someone else.

I hope that's not true. If it is then there are some corrupt freaks in this world that should lose their licenses to practice medicine.

Chocola teapot
25-01-10, 16:22
If Someone Needs it, Yes. :)

Ward Dragon
25-01-10, 16:25
@Ward Dragon: My reason has nothing to do with religion, and as far as I know some religious people do refuse blood transplants and stuff.

What is your reason then? Most of the arguments I've seen against donating organs are that people don't want to have their bodies cut open and the organs removed. When the doctors put in a transplant, they have to do that anyway, so it seems like the same thing to me. The only compelling argument I've seen against it so far is what Mokono said about some doctors being corrupt and letting organ donors die.

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 16:30
Okay, but I'm willing to give. To be honest, and this might sound bad (but I don't care), I truly do think that makes me more deserving than someone who doesn't plan on donating.You only become more deserving once you've actually given the organs.

What is your reason then? Most of the arguments I've seen against donating organs are that people don't want to have their bodies cut open and the organs removed. When the doctors put in a transplant, they have to do that anyway, so it seems like the same thing to me. The only compelling argument I've seen against it so far is what Mokono said about some doctors being corrupt and letting organ donors die.That's pretty much my reason.

Ward Dragon
25-01-10, 16:32
That's pretty much my reason.

But in order to put in an organ transplant, the doctors need to cut your body open and remove your original organ. What I'm asking is how come the doctor doing it while you are alive doesn't bother you as much as the doctor doing it after you are dead?

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 16:32
You only become more deserving once you've actually given the organs.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Why? Because I think it's better to intend to give than not to...

But in order to put in an organ transplant, the doctors need to cut your body open and remove your original organ. Why I'm asking is how come the doctor doing it while you are alive doesn't bother you as much as the doctor doing it after you are dead?

There is no realistic reasoning. :rolleyes:

Lara's home
25-01-10, 16:33
Since you are a doner, they are more likely letting you die so that they can use your healthy organs on someone else.
Where did you get that idea?

Simochka
25-01-10, 16:34
No I don't wanna donate my organs. I have no reason. I just don't wanna do it. And I don't want someone else organ in me

MiCkiZ88
25-01-10, 16:36
Where did you get that idea?
I was being sarcastic. But ofcourse there are some freaks in the world..

Lara's home
25-01-10, 16:36
No I don't wanna donate my organs. I have no reason. I just don't wanna do it. And I don't want someone else organ in me

Even if the only other option is dying?

Necromanser
25-01-10, 16:37
What is your reason then? Most of the arguments I've seen against donating organs are that people don't want to have their bodies cut open and the organs removed. When the doctors put in a transplant, they have to do that anyway, so it seems like the same thing to me. The only compelling argument I've seen against it so far is what Mokono said about some doctors being corrupt and letting organ donors die.
It is basically the same thing. They are cut up and operated on the same way if they were donating organs.

In my opinion they receive the organs because of their self-preservation instinct. Don't our primal instincts sometimes could out judgement? They are willing to go against their religion if it means saving their life. Most people would unless they were extremely devout or had other reasons (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/128961.php)

Simochka
25-01-10, 16:39
Even if the only other option is dying?

I'm not afraid of death. So yeah. I know it sounds weird but that's me.
But who knows. If something happen and I have too choose between getting someones organs or die then I might change opinion. And if it would save my life I would probably donate my organs when I die. I just have to wait and see what happens:)

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 16:39
But in order to put in an organ transplant, the doctors need to cut your body open and remove your original organ. What I'm asking is how come the doctor doing it while you are alive doesn't bother you as much as the doctor doing it after you are dead?Yeah but I wouldn't mind it so much if it was to save my life. :p

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Why? Because I think it's better to intend to give than not to...Still doesn't make you more deserving though.

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 16:42
Still doesn't make you more deserving though.

Intending to donate is more selfless than intending not to, so I still disagree...

Necromanser
25-01-10, 16:45
Still doesn't make you more deserving though.

So you choose whether a person deserves to live based on whether he decides to donate his organs? Not on the basis of how he's lived, how he's treated other people in his life, whether or not he's a good person?

What if a person who chose to donate was an uneducated, single, unhealthy slob? What then?

And what if the person who didn't choose to donate had so much more to live for (a family, a good job, a bright future)?

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 16:47
So you choose whether a person deserves to live based on whether he decides to donate his organs? Not on the basis of how he's lived, how he's treated other people in his life, whether or not he's a good person?

What if a person who chose to donate was an uneducated, single, unhealthy slob? What then?

And what if the person who didn't choose to donate had so much more to live for (a family, a good job, a bright future)?

There's no way to judge that on the way one lives their life. That's impossible...

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 16:48

And what if the person who didn't choose to donate had so much more to live for (a family, a good job, a bright future)?Have you not been reading this thread? AmericanAssassin is the one saying you should be moved up on the list if you intend to donate your organs.

Necromanser
25-01-10, 16:51
There's no way to judge that on the way one lives their life. That's impossible...

Just imagine we could. Would you still choose to give the organs to a person who won't do as much good to society as the non-donor?

Eddie Haskell
25-01-10, 16:51
No one would want my organs...:(

Keir_Eidos
25-01-10, 16:53
I registered online and I carry a card.

The thought of being on a table getting cut up when I'm dead (or someone I care about in the same position) doesn't fill me with joy but that is so insignificant when taken in context of the potential benefits.

It could be someone you love that eventually needs an organ. Even if it's not it'll still be someone's mum, dad, son, daughter, friend, wife, husband, brother, sister....

I'll be dead so it won't matter - the possibility of me potentially giving someone else a chance of life would probably be one of the best things I'd have ever done.

That says enough to me.

Bongo Fury
25-01-10, 16:56
just make it mandatory and it's the end of the story. Against your religion? Philosophy? Your spider sense? Who cares, you are giving up the organs like it or not.

Chocola teapot
25-01-10, 16:57
I Agree! People need these organs.

moodydog
25-01-10, 16:59
i would love to be a blood doner...
but not an organ doner :o (am i bieng selfish? :()

Mad Tony
25-01-10, 16:59
just make it mandatory and it's the end of the story. Against your religion? Philosophy? Your spider sense? Who cares, you are giving up the organs like it or not.Now this I really don't agree with. It wouldn't be so bad if you could opt out of it and people were properly informed of this.

Chocola teapot
25-01-10, 17:00

Well Yeah Because you're not gonna need em!

HappyShannon
25-01-10, 17:02

It's not selfish, it's your choice entirely :tmb:

Although remember, you won't need them after you're gone :o

moodydog
25-01-10, 17:03
Well Yeah Because you're not gonna need em!

nnah, i just wouldnt want to live with the fact that i have a kidney missing or something. mabie when i die though, (its different) since i would be dead, but i wouldnt want to do it when i am alive since it proberbly would increase the risk of my own death/shorten life period.

Chocola teapot
25-01-10, 17:05
I'm sure that that's what they mean,
If/When you die, You give your organs to others!

moodydog
25-01-10, 17:06
I'm sure that that's what they mean,
If/When you die, You give your organs to others!

am sorry, i didnt realise you ment when you die :p, i thought pople give away organs to help others whilst alive

lara c. fan
25-01-10, 17:07
am sorry, i didnt realise it was when you die :p, i thought pople give away organs to help others (living or dead)

You can, but I think this topic is more geared towards after-death donation :)

Ward Dragon
25-01-10, 17:11

I'm pretty sure they do currently have criteria judging who is likely to get the most use out of the donated organs taking into account other health issues, self-destructive history, life expectancy, etc.

Dark Lugia 2
25-01-10, 17:14
I've always liked this idea, as many people have said in this thread, after we die we don't need our organs :). I'll have to look into it more - as long as my organs (if needed) will be taken after I die, without any shady tricks :/.

toxicraider
25-01-10, 17:24
Yeah, I might sign up for this when I'm older; I don't believe I'll need the organs again or anything, and I hope that if I die young, my body is comparatively healthy, and would help an ill person.

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 17:32
I'm pretty sure they do currently have criteria judging who is likely to get the most use out of the donated organs taking into account other health issues, self-destructive history, life expectancy, etc.

Sure, but that's not nearly the same as judging someone based on how good of a person they are and how they lived their life. That's what he/she stated.

Ward Dragon
25-01-10, 17:37
Sure, but that's not nearly the same as judging someone based on how good of a person they are and how they lived their life. That's what he/she stated.

Isn't it? If someone has done drugs in the past, for example, I believe that disqualifies them even if they've quit and are relatively healthy (aside from the failing organ).

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 17:42
Isn't it? If someone has done drugs in the past, for example, I believe that disqualifies them even if they've quit and are relatively healthy (aside from the failing organ).

I agree with what you're saying. I don't know how to word this... The person I replied to was referring to if a person was a good person relating to their life, not their health. As in with family and stuff. What I was saying was impossible is to judge everyone on that. Health dis-qualifiers (is that even a word?!) like you're referring to are fine.

jjbennett
25-01-10, 17:45
I'm on the organ donor list and give blood. I don't need bits of me when i'm dead, but someone else may well do :wve:

larson n natla
25-01-10, 17:50
It makes me feel selfish when I say this but I was born with my organs and when I die the thought of my body being cut open and removed even though I am dead makes me nervous. I know this is ridiculous but I just couldn't but maybe when I am more mature my attitude towards it will change?

Aranara
25-01-10, 18:23
Well, I kind of have heart problems, and I can't donate my heart :p
But now if I come to think of it, I would like to donate organs. As long as I'm dead. And I think it's illegal if you're underage:D

TRfan23
25-01-10, 18:39
Well, I kind of have heart problems, and I can't donate my heart :p
But now if I come to think of it, I would like to donate organs. As long as I'm dead. And I think it's illegal if you're underage:D

I was told all my organs would be useless considering I have a heart problem to, as when you have a problem in one area, it affects your whole system to a certain extent in terms of prone to illnesses etc... Then again I guess it may differ depending on your problem?

Surohicko
25-01-10, 18:46
Sure :D

Aranara
25-01-10, 18:46
^
I have a minor problem..At random moments my heart beats too fast....

Catapharact
25-01-10, 18:49
I give blood on a monthly basis (unless I am advised not to by the... family doctor Lol! Aka. the missus) and I am on the Organ Donation list :). If my spare parts can keep another person alive then I certainly am willing to help. I definately won't be needing them once I hit the dirt bed so to speak.

Love2Raid
25-01-10, 21:29
I think it's great to have the opportunity to save lives, even after death. :tmb:

Lavinder
25-01-10, 21:32
Definitely - I want to get a card sometime in the future. Just as long as they respect my body and don't just butcher me.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-01-10, 22:11
It makes me feel selfish when I say this but I was born with my organs and when I die the thought of my body being cut open and removed even though I am dead makes me nervous. I know this is ridiculous but I just couldn't but maybe when I am more mature my attitude towards it will change?

thats exactly how i feel:hug:

robm_2007
25-01-10, 22:17
I give blood on a monthly basis (unless I am advised not to by the... family doctor Lol! Aka. the missus) and I am on the Organ Donation list :). If my spare parts can keep another person alive then I certainly am willing to help. I definately won't be needing them once I hit the dirt bed so to speak.

every month? Bravo! i would like to give blood, but i hate needles. i can get shots just fine, but i find the act of needles in you quite uneasy.

Squibbly
25-01-10, 22:21
I am an organ donar and I give blood every couple of months or so. I have a rare blood type that hospitals are in need of, so I think it's important for me to give.

Minimus
25-01-10, 22:22
I'd never donate an organ. I need them. :p

Love2Raid
25-01-10, 22:23
every month? Bravo! i would like to give blood, but i hate needles. i can get shots just fine, but i find the act of needles in you quite uneasy.
The needle is thicker. And of course, you see blood. Lots of it. :mis:

Just pretend you didn't read that. Blood is needed! It surprised me that some people seem to think artificial blood can be made for donation. :rolleyes:

xXhayleyroxXx
25-01-10, 22:24

Just pretend you didn't read that. Blood is needed! It surprised me that some people seem to think artificial blood can be made for donation. :rolleyes:

*gags* :( im glad i can't donate!

AmericanAssassin
25-01-10, 22:25
I donate plasma sometimes and jeez... Those needles are freaking HUGE. I couldn't believe it. :pi:

Love2Raid
25-01-10, 22:26
:vlol:

In Med school, we practice venapunction on each other.

Squibbly
25-01-10, 22:28
I'd never donate an organ. I need them. :p

Not when you're dead. :p

Minimus
25-01-10, 23:54
Not when you're dead. :p

By then we'll probably have artificial organs lol.

Love2Raid
26-01-10, 00:01
There already are artificial 'organs'. But nothing beats the real thing. Perhaps, in the very far future.

Shauni
26-01-10, 00:07
My Husband is, but I'm not. My main reason is the extra emotional stress it'll take on my family, because they would have to wait I think it was a week longer to bury an organ donor. Someone has to take those organs out and sometimes you have to wait. I can't imagine not being able to put a loved one to rest right away, so you can begin to move on. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

robm_2007
26-01-10, 19:17

the thick needle is what i find unsettling. cant they just put me under knockout gas, and then take my blood, and when i a wake up, i have done my charity?

Melonie Tomb Raider
26-01-10, 19:38
I don't need my organs when I'm dead, so heck yes I'm going to donate them! :tmb:

Rai
26-01-10, 20:04
My Husband is, but I'm not. My main reason is the extra emotional stress it'll take on my family, because they would have to wait I think it was a week longer to bury an organ donor. Someone has to take those organs out and sometimes you have to wait. I can't imagine not being able to put a loved one to rest right away, so you can begin to move on. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I don't think that is correct. The way I understand it, organs are taken from donors as soon as they can after death, and then put away fast to keep them..fresh. If left too long the organs wouldn't be any good. Unless they have to wait to do an autopsy to make sure the organs are healthy? But I think that if you are a donor, they'd still make sure the process is done as quickly as possible for the reasons you're giving to be against giving.

Dennis's Mom
26-01-10, 20:21
Rai is correct. There is a very small window through which they can take the organs and still have them usable.

Haven't you ever seen TV shows where they're helicoptering little coolers of organs for transplant? Time is critical.

Here's some "myth-busting" by the Mayo Clinic. 10 Organ Donation Myths (http://http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organ-donation/FL00077)

jaywalker
27-01-10, 08:58

I don't think that is correct. The way I understand it, organs are taken from donors as soon as they can after death, and then put away fast to keep them..fresh. If left too long the organs wouldn't be any good. Unless they have to wait to do an autopsy to make sure the organs are healthy? But I think that if you are a donor, they'd still make sure the process is done as quickly as possible for the reasons you're giving to be against giving.

Time is totally critical.. Unless the donor has died under medical control (ie IN hospital) its very unlikely can be used as a donor, as they literally have minutes to get the organ into freeze to ensure its able to be used (or if possible into the recipient).

The image that people die then the decision to use can be made later is false. When my mum was taken to hospital and pronounced effectively brain dead, only kept alive by a machine, my brother and I were asked to make the decision. We knew she would have wanted to donate, so we said to go for it, and this amazing process kicked in.. people racing around, hospitals being called, people advised of incoming organs etc.. and THEN they went to my mums bedside and took her to surgery to turn off her machines and remove the organs.. she saved many lives in doing so..

There was no delay in her body being released for us to cremate (she didnt want to be buried). They dont hang onto the body once they have the organs they need as they dont want to prolong our stress and mourning..

eric_khan
27-01-10, 11:01
Would make organs save a life? Yes...

Do I need them when I am dead...? No

Well then of course!

Kerrigan
27-01-10, 11:23
Yes, definitely.Imagine one of the people you love could be saved by someone else agreeing to donate their organs after death.

Jacen
27-01-10, 12:14
I'm a registered donor... so yes.

MattTR
27-01-10, 12:17
I donate blood monthly, but nope I'm not a organ donator, maybe I will when I get older but I was too scared to put it on my liscense. :(

xx_Hunt_xx
27-01-10, 14:04
After im dead i dont care. I want to donate my body to science anyways :)

tombofwinston
27-01-10, 16:27
No thanks, I'd like to stay intact when I die thank you. I would donate blood however.

Joely-Moley
27-01-10, 16:31
I'm registered as one, yes. I don't need my organs after I'm dead.

badboy70
27-01-10, 18:07
If it saves a life, yes.Exactly.

Lavinder
27-01-10, 19:00
No thanks, I'd like to stay intact when I die thank you. I would donate blood however.

Vanity after death? :p

Another Lara
27-01-10, 19:37
Vanity after death? :p

Don't know how anyone could think that!

The gruesome fact that the organs just rot inside the body creating gas and badly deforming the body (before the rest of the body decomposes) would see to that!

Why do you think the ancient Egyptians took the organs out during mummification?! ;)

xXhayleyroxXx
27-01-10, 19:48
^^^ if you were gonna decompose anyway would that really matter? i just hate the idea of people cutting my cold dead body open

Catapharact
27-01-10, 19:50
^^^ if you were gonna decompose anyway would that really matter? i just hate the idea of people cutting my cold dead body open

Well since you want to be preserved for life, would you like this alternative better then?

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

I personally find that more creepy then someone removing my organs to save someone else's life.

Another Lara
27-01-10, 19:54
Just stating the fact that that is what happens... and I think you would decompose quicker with organs than without!

And I think if you can bare the fact that your body will rot in such a gruesome way, how can donating organs be worse?! ;)

And as jaywalker said, they pretty much keep you alive (or minutes after death) in order for the organs to be of any use, so you wouldn't really be dead and cold! :p

And anyway, I've always liked the idea of mummification... :rolleyes:

xXhayleyroxXx
27-01-10, 19:58
Well since you want to be preserved for life, would you like this alternative better then?

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

I personally find that more creepy then someone removing my organs to save someone else's life.

thats horrible :p no - id rather be put in a block of ice :cln:

@Another Lara - i know, just for me persoanlly i hate the idea :p

MangelinaJolie
27-01-10, 20:04
After reading Parasite Eve... no. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
27-01-10, 20:10

whats it about? well about from it mentions organ donation :p

theres an advert on tv -and it explains that many of us would accept a donated organ but would be less likely to give
I don't think thats true with me - i'd feel guilty because i'm not an organ donator

If i did need to receive an organ - iv become an organ donator myself

MangelinaJolie
27-01-10, 20:16
whats it about? well about from it mentions organ donation :p

theres an advert on tv -and it explains that many of us would accept a donated organ but would be less likely to give
I don't think thats true with me - i'd feel guilty because i'm not an organ donator

If i did need to receive an organ - iv become an organ donator myself

Basically a woman dies due to mitochondria taking over some of her functions. She's an organ donor, and her kidney has those cells - Eve - that are more or less alive and have their own agenda. It's been a while since I read it, though. :p

Lara Fan 4Life
27-01-10, 20:20
Seeing as my mother is currently seeking a kidney organ donation, surviving each day by going to dialysis three times a week, I'd say when I die, then I would very much like my organs to be donated to give someone else a life!

xXhayleyroxXx
27-01-10, 20:23
Basically a woman dies due to mitochondria taking over some of her functions. She's an organ donor, and her kidney has those cells - Eve - that are more or less alive and have their own agenda. It's been a while since I read it, though. :p

freaky :o

MangelinaJolie
27-01-10, 20:25
freaky :o

Very!

In all seriousness, however, I probably wouldn't mind being a donor.

mau3genius
27-01-10, 20:40

Well, to be honest, no. I don't want to be an organ donor. Just as I don't like the idea of waiting for someone to die to get an organ myself.
I know, it may be a simplistic way of analyzing the subject, but that's how I feel about it.

That's fine. However, I think should my heart fail and yours does the same, I should be moved higher on the donor list than you. It's only fair. ;)

That's quite harsh. You're basically saying that 'cause you're a potential donor, and the other person isn't, he/she should have less chances to live. Or at least, that's my interpretation. :pi:

Lara's home
27-01-10, 20:49
That's quite harsh. You're basically saying that 'cause you're a potential donor, and the other person isn't, he/she should have less chances to live. Or at least, that's my interpretation. :pi:

Whats wrong with that? They should. Unless they physically can't donate organs.

AmericanAssassin
27-01-10, 20:51

No, I'm saying it's more fair to give to others who give. If you receive a new heart but you weren't going to give to start, you're a taker and that's bad. Selfish even.

mau3genius
27-01-10, 21:04
When you give, it shouldn't be for the benefit of recieving afterwards.
You're basically forcing anyone who's not comfortable with the idea of donating organs to do it anyway, because they'll be rejected and die If the tables turn and they need one. There shouldn't be "better people" on a donors list.

Lara's home
27-01-10, 21:07
You're basically forcing anyone who's not comfortable with the idea of donating organs to do it anyway, because they'll be rejected and die If the tables turn and they need one. There shouldn't be "better people" on a donors list.

Does it really matter anyway? I'm sure people who finds it disturbing to remove their own organs, finds it equally disturbing to, not only remove them, but put someone elses in there too.

AmericanAssassin
27-01-10, 21:09

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying it would be more fair.

mau3genius
27-01-10, 21:17
The point is, it isn't fair at all (imo). Condemning those with a different view to give in or else they loose, it's far from fair. :pi:

Does it really matter anyway? I'm sure people who finds it disturbing to remove their own organs, finds it equally disturbing to, not only remove them, but put someone elses in there too.

Yes it does actually. Because not everyone thinks the same, and it's lives we're talking about here.

Lara Croft!
27-01-10, 21:36
I would donate my whole body after my death, either if another person can be benefited or for science.

Lara's home
27-01-10, 23:02
Yes it does actually. Because not everyone thinks the same, and it's lives we're talking about here.

Sounds like hypocrits if you ask me.
And yes, it's lives. But people who are willing to give, should also recieve more. At least the way I see it.
Besides; This could be a great way to get more people to become donors. We need more donors.

Solice
28-01-10, 00:48
Dead is dead, harvest what can be used and burn the rest.

jaywalker
28-01-10, 09:00
Just stating the fact that that is what happens... and I think you would decompose quicker with organs than without!

And I think if you can bare the fact that your body will rot in such a gruesome way, how can donating organs be worse?! ;)

And as jaywalker said, they pretty much keep you alive (or minutes after death) in order for the organs to be of any use, so you wouldn't really be dead and cold! :p

And anyway, I've always liked the idea of mummification... :rolleyes:

*takes notes*

patriots88888
28-01-10, 10:06
The way I see it, it's nobody's business really except for those making the choice. For those who disagree, I want to have a say in every important decision you have in life, or as in this case, death.

ajrich17901
28-01-10, 10:42
If I'm dead then why the heck not, not like I'll be needing my Organs anymore. So yeah they can have them lmao.
LMAO Culturing livers for the win! Watch the Parasite Eve movie , it's even more disturbing ;)

Alex Shepherd
28-01-10, 13:07
It's a subject I havn't really heard discussed much... but the death thread made me think of this.

I don't know :( i want to help someone in need but the idea of someone cutting my body open terrifys me. I know i won't know about it but.... i sorta want to be buried WHOLE

Your thoughts xxx

What are you talking about... Soon your body is gonna be eaten, rotten and stuff... So why not use it on the good things better than disappearing it, I am a doner organ of course, its a card will always kept with you, whenver someone died and have this card, then he's a doner organ, I don't care really how I die, or what'll my body be, I care of my personality, my soul, and where I am gonna be (My soul) gonna be... Your body is just like money, like: you have money, once you die you'll never get them back...

Raider Man

Love2Raid
28-01-10, 14:01
Sounds like hypocrits if you ask me.
And yes, it's lives. But people who are willing to give, should also recieve more. At least the way I see it.
Besides; This could be a great way to get more people to become donors. We need more donors.

I agree with you 100%. Definitely more donors are needed and I am afraid this is the only way that's truly effective. People are suffering from spending months on the waiting list, trying to survive. Many die while being on that list! And all of this while perfect and useful organs are buried under the ground to rot or burned to ashes. Why?

People simply don't care, don't want to think about it or are creeped out by it. When it becomes a custom, that will all change and one day it will be considered normal by everyone.

WhiteTiger
28-01-10, 14:08
Yes, at least I can be sure I wont be buried alive :)

patriots88888
28-01-10, 14:21
People simply don't care, don't want to think about it or are creeped out by it. When it becomes a custom, that will all change and one day it will be considered normal by everyone.

There's more options than just those you have listed. While I agree that some might restrict themselves to only what you have posted, for others (including myself), it's a much deeper consideration than that.

I'll say this one last time, it's a personal decision one must make for themselves which might or might not be influenced by beliefs. Regardless of either, no one has a right to state that those who choose not to are in some way selfish for that decision.

Maybe you would like others involving themselves in your personal, important decisions in life?

Pksstr
28-01-10, 16:24
Yes , after al , l in 10 years you are just going to be bones