PDA

View Full Version : Drivers I need some advice on Pass Plus and Insurance

Jack Croft
26-01-10, 14:11
Right,

So I'm in the process of getting Insurance for my first car, now a list on Direct Gov states that I can get some discounts if I do Pass Plus.

Now this discount is normally just for the first year and it will cost me about 150 to do Pass Plus.

So far the cheapest Insurance is 142.67 a month which is good for a young driver (19yr old Male) first year with a online discount of 15%, but if I do Pass Plus I dont see it going down much more, and it would void the online discount as you would have to do it online.

Did any of you do Pass Plus and get a lower premium?

Would like to hear about it.

Thanks. :hug:

disneyprincess20
26-01-10, 14:39
I did not do Pass Plus, and I don't know that many people who have. The one person I know who did it had to "pretend" to drive in snow.

It's really up to you and how confident you feel as a driver. If the Pass Plus voids the online discount and ends up costing you more, maybe it's not worth doing. However, I think the main concern here should be if you feel you need the Pass Plus lessons to be a better (more confident) driver.

Jack Croft
26-01-10, 14:50
Well I've been told I a safe driver when I was learning, and the examiner on my test was surprised it was my first try at the test, so to be honest I should be alright, I dont live in a town so I used to drive alot of bad roads as well, I just want to do Motorways.

Trigger_happy
26-01-10, 14:51
I did it, and even though I forgot to claim the discount, I thought it helped. It gave me some extra tips and advice on driving in a non-test situation.

And check your council's website: in some places, like Bucks, they will subsidise the cost of Pass Plus, and you'll only have to pay half.

john_york
26-01-10, 15:21
I didn't do pass plus. But, then again, I was 25 when I passed my test and so insurance was cheaper to start with. I worked out that the amount I would save on insurance by doing pass plus was about the same price as paying for pass plus, so wasn't really worth it.

Titanium
26-01-10, 15:53
Pass plus really did help me out alot. Made my insurance cheaper and help gave me more confidence on the roads. (Although it did feel weird having my instructor around when I was already driving by myself.) And it did get me cheaper insurance.Doing the math, I think pass plus has saved me about 50 - 80 and gave me more confidence, so maybe it is something worth considering for yourself.

Jack Croft
27-01-10, 10:33
Pass plus really did help me out alot. Made my insurance cheaper and help gave me more confidence on the roads. (Although it did feel weird having my instructor around when I was already driving by myself.) And it did get me cheaper insurance.Doing the math, I think pass plus has saved me about 50 - 80 and gave me more confidence, so maybe it is something worth considering for yourself.

It would cost me 150 to do it, so I'm actually actually making a loss.

jjbennett
27-01-10, 11:13
Pass plus is a joke. As long as you are reasonably confident the motorway is a doddle. The amount you "save" is usually less than the cost of the course so it isn't worth it.

I didn't do it.