PDA

View Full Version : Sony's "unhackable" PlayStation 3 hacked

TombOfRaiders
26-01-10, 19:04
The PlayStation3 - previously considered unhackable - has been modified to run pirated software by an American who unlocked the original iPhone. George Hotz told the BBC that he's beaten the PlayStation 3's piracy protection with a combination of hardware and software modifications.

The high-profile hacker admits that he hasn't hacked the whole system and its protected memory, but says he's tricked the console into doing what he wants it to.

"It's supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable," 20-year-old Hotz told BBC News.

"I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."

He says he will publish the technique - which took five weeks of work - in a similar fashion to his iPhone 'jailbreak' from 2007.

Hotz describes the hack on the "very secure system" as five per cent hardware, 95 oer cent software.

"You can use hardware to inject an insecurity and then you can build on that," he said.
He will also publish detail of the PlayStation's 'root key', which will allow others to attempt alternative hacks on the entertainment device.

The exploit will also allow PS2 games to be played on the console, Hotz said. Early PlayStation 3s were able to run these titles, but controversial hardware changes in the console removed the ability.

Sony has not yet released a statement about Hotz's claims, but BBC reported that the company was investigating reports before commenting.

It is not yet clear what modifying the consoles could mean for users. Microsoft last year kicked thousands off its Xbox Live online gaming service for running modded Xbox 360s.

I also thought the PS3 was also unhackable after my several attempts to hack it. Your thoughts?

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sonys-unhackable-playstation-3-hacked-1879215.html

tonyme
26-01-10, 19:06
LOL... How interesting

AmericanAssassin
26-01-10, 19:07
The unsinkable Titanic sank. The unhackable PS3 was hacked. Anything is possible. :p

lara c. fan
26-01-10, 19:08
^Exactly.

I read somewhere, and I believe it: "With the advances in technology, nothing is unhackable"

tonyme
^ Very true.

TombOfRaiders
Like they say, "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it". Security is worthless. This may turn out like CustomFirmware on the PSP.

Titanium
26-01-10, 19:10
20 years old and this is what he does with his life? Sounds like a little hermit locked in his bedroom eating rustlers and red bull all day.

Edit: But it is impressive, I'll give him that.

TombOfRaiders
26-01-10, 19:13
It's just something, someone has a dedication to. If Sony finds this, (which they probably have already) they're going to releasing a hell of more System Update to build Security up, before the formulae spreads.

digitizedboy
26-01-10, 19:14
Microsoft last year kicked thousands off its Xbox Live online gaming service for running modded Xbox 360s.

lol

lara c. fan
26-01-10, 19:14
20 years old and this is what he does with his life? Sounds like a little hermit locked in his bedroom eating rustlers and red bull all day.

Many people who have exposed flaws and such-like in things, sometimes get picked up by that respective company.
Doing that may have been the best decision of his life so far...

TombOfRaiders
26-01-10, 19:15
lol

Yeah. I think it was nearly...a million?

xMiSsCrOfTx
26-01-10, 19:20
Five weeks of work? I think somebody needs to get out more. I never understood the point of "hacking" anything. Is it like an ego trip, or what? :/

lara c. fan
26-01-10, 19:23
Five weeks of work? I think somebody needs to get out more. I never understood the point of "hacking" anything. Is it like an ego trip, or what? :/

Some expose flaws in the system for companies to fix.
I'm guessing this is the case for him, as telling the news would be pretty stupid if he wanted to keep it secret :p

MiCkiZ88
26-01-10, 19:25
Good for him? I never understood the point of "hacking" anything. Is it like an ego trip, or what? :/
Not always. My bf uses a program to acces my laptop remotely to edit our game server files. Some consider it hacking, but in this case it is very important if you are not home and the server needs some work.

da tomb raider!
26-01-10, 19:43
I'd be more impressed if he hacked into a Dreamcast.

spikejones
26-01-10, 19:55

i hardly imagine he worked on it 'round the clock.

at any rate, hacking/modding is a hobby for many people. I can hardly say it is against the law to hack/mod a system you own (if it is, its a stupid law) though I can see reason to ban modded systems from online play as it introduces a greater possibility for cheating, not to mention being against ToS. A modded system is also automatically outside of warranty so any modifications that go wrong are at the risk of the user. Why someone would want to mod a system can range from anywhere between wanting a custom console, ability to run games it ought not to, etc..

as for my own phone, I've hacked/modded it to have a custom menu theme and longer video recording time.

TRfan23
26-01-10, 19:56
Actually as an IT guy myself not a hacker though, I know for a fact that hacking isn't an ego trip, it's actually a hobby and no not all hacks are bad.

Now I know from my college tutors that many hackers have gotten top jobs on doing this kind of stuff lol.

I admire this guy :)

Though as for the piracy, fair enough for that being illegal over it...

patriots88888
26-01-10, 20:02
Some see it as a personal challenge is all. When someone makes a claim such as unhackable, there will always be those who put those words to the test. If nothing else, I see it as the mice chasing the cat!

Reggie
26-01-10, 20:14
I'd be more impressed if he hacked into a Dreamcast.
Clever! :vlol:

Love2Raid
26-01-10, 21:30
Wow, that's one determined kid! :D

tranniversary119
26-01-10, 21:37
Even though he hacked it I doubt games will get pirated for the PS3; the game's use blu-ray discs and I'm sure the majority of PC's don't have blu ray burners and the discs must be expensive. Regardless-good for him.

tombraiderluka
26-01-10, 21:39
Yes I agree, just leave things as they are :)

trlestew
26-01-10, 22:20
Thats interesting. I'm guessing he's not aiming for piracy since he gave out his name and everything :p

but if he releases his methods in an easily accssible way... I could see a news article stating the ps3 failure rate has gone up 20% due to people not knowing what they are even doing while trying to attempt to hack the system. :vlol:

Also I knew that the newer models of the ps3 could play ps2 games (by software emulation) and that sony just locked the feature :ohn:

Love2Raid
26-01-10, 22:40
^
That's what I have heard too. Probably to make sure the PS2 keeps selling as well. But it seems unfair. :o

Encore
26-01-10, 22:48

He still achieved something, that's more than I can claim. :pi:

Agent 47
26-01-10, 23:22
Sony should actually be some what pleased by this news, pleased in the sense that it took somebody this many years to compromise the system.

Kudos to the kid.

I have several ideas on how to combat piracy, but if a company ever introduced them you know folks will claim "unfair civil liberty abuse" pfft :D

Chocola teapot
26-01-10, 23:44
Haha! A well and true fail.

TombOfRaiders
27-01-10, 20:33
Even though he hacked it I doubt games will get pirated for the PS3; the game's use blu-ray discs and I'm sure the majority of PC's don't have blu ray burners and the discs must be expensive. Regardless-good for him.

I have a Blu-Ray Burner PC. :D

Antonio
27-01-10, 20:43
No matter what, everything is breakable. I'm not even surprised a bit. That why is Blu-ray discs are expensive comparing with ordinary DVD. If you can protect the system, than you can with morale.

ggctuk
28-01-10, 08:42
Like they say, "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it". Security is worthless. This may turn out like CustomFirmware on the PSP.

You mean that SONY will always try to be one step ahead against the hackers, even rewriting the base code, but the hackers will eventually win?

tranniversary119
28-01-10, 12:03
I have a Blu-Ray Burner PC. :D

Lucky! :pi:

LightningRider
28-01-10, 12:08
Thank God. Not that I support piracy or anything, but my wallet sure is a stumbling... :whi:

J/K.

EgyptianSoul
28-01-10, 12:08
I bet he's waiting for Sony to come and pay him to keep his mouth shut. Well that's not gonna happen.

Sony are trying their best to fight against piracy and the PS3 has been their best effort so far.

ajrich17901
28-01-10, 14:53
*cough*
http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/27/df-in-depth-analysis-of-the-ps3-hack/

Expanding on this little article. :p
Seems he wasn't able to hack it completely after all, good on Sony's part.

Love this part ;)
PlayStation 3 is far smarter. Not only is the drive software itself encrypted, but it’s widely believed that the mandatory firmware updates can also reflash the Blu-ray drive too – even if the drive was hacked (it never has been) it would be re-secured next time you updated your PS3.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 16:11
Very interesting. If this is true that he got the PS3 to play PS2 games via software emulation, then I'm holding off buying a PS3 until Sony officially unlocks that feature. If the off-the-shelf PS3 is capable of doing it but they chose to lock it, that angers me enough to not buy one until they unlock it.

interstellardave
28-01-10, 16:14
Very interesting. If this is true that he got the PS3 to play PS2 games via software emulation, then I'm holding off buying a PS3 until Sony officially unlocks that feature. If the off-the-shelf PS3 is capable of doing it but they chose to lock it, that angers me enough to not buy one until they unlock it.

Well, he did make some hardware changes, not just software ones. Who knows how much it costs to make these modifications in money and time, as well. Sonys' claims of cost-cutting by removing the PS2-emulation feature may still be valid.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 16:17
Well, he did make some hardware changes, not just software ones. Who knows how much it costs to make these modifications in money and time, as well. Sonys' claims of cost-cutting by removing the PS2-emulation feature may still be valid.

I got the impression his hardware modifications were only to bypass the security features and enable him to tinker with the software. In any case, did Sony claim it was a cost-cutting feature to remove PS2-compatibility? I heard one of the executives say it was to increase sales of PS3 games by forcing customers to move on from their PS2 collections (but then why keep selling new PS2's?)

Phlip
28-01-10, 16:34
Wait, it's already possible to play PS2 games on like... a PS2 slim?! What the ****? :D

I thought there wasn't any, not that there was and it was just locked out. Is this seriously correct? I've never heard of it before, though. Well I can't wait for the future firmware update which allows this to be unlocked.

toxicraider
28-01-10, 17:05
I'm a little confused where he states
"I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."
Yet the link posted by ajrich says that he's only managed to hack one part of the system. :confused:
Anyway, If it becomes possible to emulate ps2 games, maybe Sony will be forced to release an official emulator to encourage people to not get modifications. But Kudos to Sony for lasting this long, sounds like the Wii got hacked before it was even released. :p
I hope it doesn't effect us regular PS3 gamers though, we'd be better off having Sony work on games and features, rather than trying to constantly get one over the hackers.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 17:16
I hope it doesn't effect us regular PS3 gamers though, we'd be better off having Sony work on games and features, rather than trying to constantly get one over the hackers.

Actually I think it already does affect regular PS3 gamers. The article said it's suspected that Sony flashes the Bluray player of modifications with each firmware update, and awhile back I remember a lot of people complaining that a firmware update made their Bluray drives inoperable. At the time I wondered why a system update would make the physical drive stop functioning, but now it makes sense.

KIKO
28-01-10, 17:34
I always wondered why my slim ps3 includes a feature called create ps1/ps2 memory slot. Well the ps1 works but not ps2. Then why did they put it there... because it's locked :rolleyes: well, what are they waiting for to unlock the feature ?

AmericanAssassin
28-01-10, 17:45
I always wondered why my slim ps3 includes a feature called create ps1/ps2 memory slot. Well the ps1 works but not ps2. Then why did they put it there... because it's locked :rolleyes: well, what are they waiting for to unlock the feature ?

I'm guessing it's just because they didn't want to take the time to change it from back when they could play PS2 games (like mine :D).

interstellardave
28-01-10, 17:48
Regardless of what's possible--or what wrongs Sony may have committed regarding PS2 compatibility--I play by the rules when it comes to things like this. I'm not messing around with my consoles to try and do something the manufacturer doesn't want me to do. It smacks of illegality, and it's not worth it in my eyes.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 17:50
Regardless of what's possible--or what wrongs Sony may have committed regarding PS2 compatibility--I play by the rules when it comes to things like this. I'm not messing around with my consoles to try and do something the manufacturer doesn't want me to do. It smacks of illegality, and it's not worth it in my eyes.

I definitely agree. However, having not bought a PS3 yet, I see no reason to buy one until Sony unlocks this feature. If the hacking story is true, it proves that it is possible for PS3's to play PS2 games which means there will be pressure for Sony to unlock that feature for legal customers.

M.A.
28-01-10, 17:53
Funny thing is, if the PS3 is fully hacked to play pirated software, it may actually boost its sale sky high... :D

toxicraider
28-01-10, 17:58
Actually I think it already does affect regular PS3 gamers. The article said it's suspected that Sony flashes the Bluray player of modifications with each firmware update, and awhile back I remember a lot of people complaining that a firmware update made their Bluray drives inoperable. At the time I wondered why a system update would make the physical drive stop functioning, but now it makes sense.

That does make sense. I just hope they don't have to keep changing more of the PS3's firmware, potentially causing more hardware failures, and reducing the efficiency, to combat the hackers.

^^
I can't imagine anyone buying such an expensive console, if they steal their games. The 360 has 95% of the same games, so would still be the choice for people to do that.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 18:01
That does make sense. I just hope they don't have to keep changing more of the PS3's firmware, potentially causing more hardware failures, to combat the hackers.

Indeed.

Funny thing is, if the PS3 is fully hacked to play pirated software, it may actually boost its sale sky high... :D

I have no interest in playing pirated software, but I do want to play all of my legally bought games. My PS2 can't hook up to my high-def monitor, so if I did get a PS3 I would want it to be able to play all my PS2 games as well.

interstellardave
28-01-10, 18:03
I definitely agree. However, having not bought a PS3 yet, I see no reason to buy one until Sony unlocks this feature. If the hacking story is true, it proves that it is possible for PS3's to play PS2 games which means there will be pressure for Sony to unlock that feature for legal customers.

I agree with your sentiment; I just think that ship has sailed. Maybe they do like still selling PS2's? Who knows...

I think they should have never offered backwards compatibility in the first place. I have to imagine it would have have lowered costs somewhat, and would have placed more of a focus on PS3 games. I think that would have helped them combat the competition earlier on.

That said; Sony tried to please everyone and now they've taken it back; also not a good policy. Luckily I have the original one w/backwards compatibility! :p

I have no interest in playing pirated software, but I do want to play all of my legally bought games. My PS2 can't hook up to my high-def monitor, so if I did get a PS3 I would want it to be able to play all my PS2 games as well.

I know for a fact you can get component cables for the PS2, I had them. Or does your monitor only have HDMI?

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 18:08
I know for a fact you can get component cables for the PS2, I had them. Or does your monitor only have HDMI?

It has VGA, DVI, and HDMI. I've got my PC hooked up in the DVI slot and my Xbox 360 hooked up in the HDMI slot. If I got a PS3, I'd switch the HDMI cable back and forth between it and the 360.

Larson_1988
28-01-10, 18:10

Yes, and the number of PSN users will drastically go down. Defeats the whole purpose with the PS3 in my opinion.

TRfan23
28-01-10, 18:14
It has VGA, DVI, and HDMI. I've got my PC hooked up in the DVI slot and my Xbox 360 hooked up in the HDMI slot. If I got a PS3, I'd switch the HDMI cable back and forth between it and the 360.

1. I dono but I think the PS2 may have DVI cables? But just now with some research, it's a no :(
2. I think you can get an extra HDMI cable thing so you can plug more then one in, my bro did this with his PS3 and something else I think?

Oh yeh on the TV does it have a slot thing, so you put those block thingis in them so the AV cables can connect into that. I dono what they're called :o

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LNEdLeWOL._SS500_.jpg

Almost like the end of that cable, with the big chunky end, on the right.

Phlip
28-01-10, 19:01

You could get a HDMI hub and an extra HDMI cable. :D But the compatibility for PS2 BC is really bad though, isn't it? :(

lara c. fan
28-01-10, 19:03
1. I dono but I think the PS2 may have DVI cables? But just now with some research, it's a no :(
2. I think you can get an extra HDMI cable thing so you can plug more then one in, my bro did this with his PS3 and something else I think?

Oh yeh on the TV does it have a slot thing, so you put those block thingis in them so the AV cables can connect into that. I dono what they're called :o

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LNEdLeWOL._SS500_.jpg

Almost like the end of that cable, with the big chunky end, on the right.

You talking about a SCART lead?

zenazic
28-01-10, 19:26
everything that can be done can be dismantled as well :pi:
so there isnt really a way to make something unhackable

Phlip
28-01-10, 19:33
How come the PS3 doesn't feature FULL PS1 backwards compatibility when all it would need is a tiny chip? It doesn't make any sense.

GameGlitcher77
28-01-10, 19:43
How come the PS3 doesn't feature FULL PS1 backwards compatibility when all it would need is a tiny chip? It doesn't make any sense.

Please elaborate... :mis: :confused: j/k

Seriously, no one thought of it at that time. :p

Phlip
28-01-10, 19:46
That's the exact same method they used for the PS2's PS1 BC, they just chucked in the chip. They could have easily done that for ALL PS1 games to work on the PS3.

The PS3 is a mess.

GameGlitcher77
28-01-10, 19:57
That's the exact same method they used for the PS2's PS1 BC, they just chucked in the chip. They could have easily done that for ALL PS1 games to work on the PS3.

The PS3 is a mess.

Do you mean the physical discs or the ports???

Yeah I know that's why I kept my PS2 Slim so I can still play my collection of PS2 games. :D

Yes but then you would have to take that 'PS1 BC chip' out of your PS2 and put it into your PS3.
Unless you can dissasemble your PS3 flawlessly and insert the chip there's no chance of it working, I think...

tombofwinston
28-01-10, 20:43
Do you mean the physical discs or the ports???

Yeah I know that's why I kept my PS2 Slim so I can still play my collection of PS2 games. :D

Yes but then you would have to take that 'PS1 BC chip' out of your PS2 and put it into your PS3.
Unless you can dissasemble your PS3 flawlessly and insert the chip there's no chance of it working, I think...

You can't just open up the PS3, solder a chip in and play PS2 games. Even if you could its not worth it, PS2's are about 40 now :rolleyes:.
They diddn't have a PS1 chip included, because they would have to start manufacturing them again, and it would be too expensive, and for what, a couple of lazy gamers who can't be bothered to switch a few wires around.
They diddn't put the PS2 chips in because it wasn't needed, and just increases the price of the console, and in 2007, PS3's weren't exactly cheap.

GameGlitcher77
28-01-10, 20:47
You can't just open up the PS3, solder a chip in and play PS2 games. Even if you could its not worth it, PS2's are about 40 now :rolleyes:.

Ya think??? :rolleyes: BTW Tomb of Winston do you still have your old PS2 Bulk/PS2 Slim??? :confused:

tombofwinston
28-01-10, 20:52
Yep, my phat PS2, is collecting dust in a corner.

GameGlitcher77
28-01-10, 22:02
Yep, my phat PS2, is collecting dust in a corner.

Same here with my Slim, but it's only collecting dust to an extent. :D ;)

toxicraider
29-01-10, 18:50
I wouldn't mind being able to play SSX on the PS3 mind you, even if it's a PS2 game. I wish EA would just make a new game though. :(
My PS2 is neatly tucked away and software emulation allows for crisper graphics (like the Wii emulator).