PDA

View Full Version : Scotland approve ban on Tobacco display

Agent 47
27-01-10, 22:30
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8481375.stm

One step closer to an outright ban? maybe, maybe not.

This will be like seedy sex shops with old guys walking out with naughty mags in a brown paper bag :vlol:

customer.."pack of smokes please"
shop...*puts cigs in brown bag*
"thanks guv"
*leaves discreetly* :D

xXhayleyroxXx
27-01-10, 22:33
i have to say i approve of the ban :p I laughed at your little narration there because I can imagine people doing that

Dennis's Mom
27-01-10, 22:36
This won't stop anyone from smoking. It's just one more "look, we did something!" waste of time elected officials can use in their re-election campaigns.

robm_2007
27-01-10, 22:37
so there arent going to be any tobacco advertisements or something?

maybe next theyll ban cleavage..........

Lemmie
27-01-10, 22:40
Sounds okay to me.

Cochrane
27-01-10, 22:42
The more difficult it becomes to smoke, the better.

Well, at least when it's near me. So I guess the ban in Scotland is not really helpful at all. :D Still, it's a good general idea.

Legend of Lara
27-01-10, 22:43
...it's not a great step forward, but it's something.

xXhayleyroxXx
27-01-10, 22:43
would raising the price of tabs help?

Legend 4ever
27-01-10, 22:45
Well, public display. That's kinda nothing. Raise price and problem solved. At least for many people.

HappyShannon
27-01-10, 22:45
I dunno if it'll exactly help, but I guess it's worth trying :p

Agent 47
27-01-10, 22:54
so there arent going to be any tobacco advertisements or something?

maybe next theyll ban cleavage..........

It means that when you walk into a store Smokes won't be on display (under the counter back room kind of thing)

i also reckon it won't be long before this idea comes South of the border.....meh!

oh and can i just say Formula One has sucked since the Tobacco advertising ban. (car liveries now look naff. Rothmans Williams, West McLaren Mercedes, Marlboro Ferrari, Mild Seven Benetton/Renault, B & H Jodan) all looked cool :D

TRhalloween
27-01-10, 23:14
To be honest, I really don't believe this will stop any people smoking. People smoke because they want to try it then they get addicted.

jackles
27-01-10, 23:16
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8481375.stm

One step closer to an outright ban? maybe, maybe not.

This will be like seedy sex shops with old guys walking out with naughty mags in a brown paper bag :vlol:

customer.."pack of smokes please"
shop...*puts cigs in brown bag*
"thanks guv"
*leaves discreetly* :D

Rofl!! I can sooooooooooooooooooooooo see this!

Dennis's Mom
27-01-10, 23:43
We haven't had ads or vending machines in the US for over 20 years, and people still smoke. Have to go to special lines for them at the supermarket, and they still smoke. They cost like $7 a pack, and people still smoke.

Oh--and they'll age you dreadfully, make you stink and probably kill you, but people still smoke.

There's a cache attached to smoking that simply cannot be hidden, scared or priced away. I don't get it. It baffles the hell out of me, but people still pick up the habit.

spikejones
28-01-10, 00:14
They cost like $7 a pack, and people still smoke.

where do you live, New York?? I hear they are expensive up there - around about that cost. Oh.. and Vegas is expensive for smokes too, but not quite that much, more like $5 a pack there. I pay less than $4 including tax here in North Carolina. There still are some cigarette vending machines around though. I've used one at a club before about 6 years ago, but you have to be 18 to get in there. You don't see em in public though. That would be too easy for underage people to get their hands on 'em.

but back on topic, keeping them out of view might help to keep people from getting the temptation to buy some if they haven't yet started. But it doesnt outright keep them from being sold. I wonder if the band includes signs though? I merely says according to the article that the tobacco itself must be kept out of view (which technically it is since its in a box :p) but doesn't say anything about having up signs that says "Marlboro" or "Camel" etc..

Paddy
28-01-10, 00:15
The more difficult it becomes to smoke, the better.

Well, at least when it's near me. So I guess the ban in Scotland is not really helpful at all. :D Still, it's a good general idea.

I agree.

Capt. Murphy
28-01-10, 03:32
Like Marijuana here in the states... People that want to get it will get it somehow. The same will most likely happen to tobacco.

BtoFu
28-01-10, 03:38
This won't stop anyone from smoking. It's just one more "look, we did something!" waste of time elected officials can use in their re-election campaigns.

Well Labour aren't gonna get back in so they can scratch that idea off their powerpoint get-together. :cool:

Trigger_happy
28-01-10, 03:49
Because there's so much smoking advertising now- I don't think I've ever seen an ad for smoking or fags, but I still sort of smoke. No one smokes because they see advertising for it, or because fags are on display, they smoke because they try them.

Smoking isn't going to be banned because it makes the govt. so much money in tax. They will apply a "health" tax, to make even more money, but they won't ban it.