PDA

View Full Version : Olympic animal hater

Solice
27-01-10, 23:43
Story (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-weir-fur&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Don't be fooled by his cutesy forest fairy appearance. He is complicit in the killing, gutting and skinning of a defenseless animal.

Legend of Lara
27-01-10, 23:46
The fiend! Death sentence!!!

Real Life Raider
27-01-10, 23:47
What a disgusting thing to wear.

I hope karma knocks sense into his blinkered outlook.

TheBloodRed
27-01-10, 23:48
I am sorry but he is gay, and flamboyant gays like fluffy clothing...

I love his comment on how everyone is wearing cows. :)

EDIT: I'd like to also point out that he doesn't "hate" animals, he just simply doesn't care. ;)

Catapharact
27-01-10, 23:56
You gotta love the stereotypes that are jumping up everywhere Lol!

- First of, bravo "animal lovers" for proving me right about your extremist mindset Lol! You are going to make the losers and nutjobs at PETA really happy.

- Second; Is he REALLY gay? Or is that a stereotype afflicted with figure skating? Granted the sport shouldn't be called a sport IMO and it does comes off a bit... Fruity... But Alexe Yaguden is a figure skater as well and he is married now (to a woman.)

TheBloodRed
27-01-10, 23:57
Trust me, this guy is a raving homosexual... xD

NnUMOrd_ANI

Real Life Raider
28-01-10, 00:06
bravo "animal lovers" for proving me right about your extremist mindset

Would you please justify this comment? :)

Catapharact
28-01-10, 00:10
The man has an impartial outlook on the matter. You don't even know if the fur was taken in from a legitimate fox hunt or not. You don't even know if he chose the costume or it was chosen for him.

Yet lo and behold, in comes the "fiend!" and "Karma strike him down!" comments.

Reminds me of the "either you are with us or you are with 'them'" mentality.

Legend of Lara
28-01-10, 00:19

Reminds me of the "either you are with us or you are with 'them'" mentality.

sar·casm
Pronunciation: \sär-ka-zm\
Function: noun
a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance
a:a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
b:the use or language of sarcasm

Real Life Raider
28-01-10, 00:21

Nobody said "Karma strike him down!", yet you use quotation marks.

Clearly you cannot justify your earlier comment. ;)

Catapharact
28-01-10, 00:23
sar·casm
Pronunciation: \sär-ka-zm\
Function: noun
a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance
a:a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual
b:the use or language of sarcasm

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt.

But RLL:

These are your words are they not? "What a disgusting thing to wear. I hope karma knocks sense into his blinkered outlook."

Real Life Raider
28-01-10, 00:25
These are your words are they not? "What a disgusting thing to wear. I hope karma knocks sense into his blinkered outlook."

You consider this to be "extremist mindset " ??

Oh dear!

:o

Catapharact
28-01-10, 00:27
You consider this to be "extremist mindset " ??

Oh dear!

:o

Well then you wouldn't mind me saying that "may Karma knock some sense into tree hugging extremists because apparently they weren't born without a brain ;)."

Real Life Raider
28-01-10, 00:40
Well then you wouldn't mind me saying that "may Karma knock some sense into tree hugging extremists because apparently they weren't born without a brain ;)."

In other words, no, you can't justify your comments, so you attempt personal insults instead. Even if your insults are grammatically incorrect! :p

Catapharact
28-01-10, 00:43
In other words, no, you can't justify your comments, so you attempt personal insults instead. Even if your insults are grammatically incorrect! :p

So let me clarify this:

You do not acknowladge that acts of vandalism, assault, harrasment, fraud, and the like were committed im the name of "preservation" of animal rights by a very obnoxious organization called PETA which IMO needs to be shut down and its members locked up behind bars?

Real Life Raider
28-01-10, 00:53
You've already made your position clear Catapharact,

You are going to make the losers and nutjobs at PETA really happy.

Have you anything more to bring to this discussion apart from your unjustified comments, your unfounded allegations and your weak personal insults?

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 00:56
Nobody liked the video I posted!? I will be one of those people holding a sign up while jumping up and down on my couch while he performs. xD

Catapharact
28-01-10, 01:03
Have you anything more to bring to this discussion apart from your unjustified comments, your unfounded allegations and your weak personal insults?

I made my points on the matter quite clear; I am not going to deg a man for not choosing a side on the matter until there is substantial evidence indicating that the costume in quesiton has fox fur obtained from an illegal hunt.

Which is more then what you had to contribute with your two liners ;).

EDIT:

Nobody liked the video I posted!? I will be one of those people holding a sign up while jumping up and down on my couch while he performs. xD

Lol! I am sure that Lady "Gag Gag" fan are thaking you as we speak :p.

silver_wolf
28-01-10, 01:43
Any man caught wearing that deserves to be locked up and have their man card removed.

Legend 4ever
28-01-10, 02:27
OMG I can't believe people are still talking about stuff like this. We all die one day, you know?! And natural selection works how it works, it favorites humans and that's it.

Catapharact
28-01-10, 02:34
Incorrect:

Believe it or not, it favours cockroaches. They can adapt to any given environment. They can live off on anything (eyebrows, dead skin, glue, toothpaste, you name it. The are even cannibalistic.) They reproduce in large numbers and they have a high tolerance for radiation. So assuming that there was a Nuclear War, there guys are going to outlive us all.

Legend 4ever
28-01-10, 02:36
Whatever, I indicated my point. Essentially, much ado about nothing.

Trigger_happy
28-01-10, 03:05
As he said, there are bigger things happening in the world than a few foxes dying. We can't even look after each other, so why are we worrying about common, garden animals?

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 03:11
Whatever, I indicated my point. Essentially, much ado about nothing.

Yep, the guy is gay and has great fashion sense. Debate closed.

patriots88888
28-01-10, 05:43
- Second; Is he REALLY gay? Or is that a stereotype afflicted with figure skating? Granted the sport shouldn't be called a sport IMO and it does comes off a bit... Fruity... But Alexe Yaguden is a figure skater as well and he is married now (to a woman.)

IDK, there is at least a certain degree of athleticism and agility involved. On that point alone I think it qualifies. Also, I'm not sure how many non-participants could achieve the same degree of execution when compared to other 'sports' such as bowling and golf. I never strapped a pair of ice skates on in my life, but I would imagine it takes many years of dedication and practice to achieve the same level of excellence that these figure skaters do.

As far as the OP's point goes, I don't know anything about this guy, so I'm not about to judge him from a simple Youtube video alone.

Dennis's Mom
28-01-10, 12:25
It's absolutely a sport, albeit one that's based one artistry as well as execution.

I just think the outfit is garish. It reminds me of that pink atrocity Oksana Baiul wore back in the eighties.

tranniversary119
28-01-10, 12:32
I can't say I'm too thrilled with people wearing fur, but then again that's his choice/problem not mine :wve:

Jedd Fletcher
28-01-10, 12:48
Make that "Johnny WeirD". I don't like him, he's like the Adam Lambert of the ice: talented, but overly flamboyant and doesn't come off too well.

Encore
28-01-10, 13:08
There's a lot of intolerance on both sides of this issue... :/ I'll just state my own opinion and you can insult away if you want. :pi:

Personally, I think wearing fur is disgusting and that hunting endangered animals for furs is immoral.
At the same time, I supose that using furs from non endangered species, even if to me it's just as disgusting, is at least not as dangerous to the balance of nature. Just plain tasteless, but that's a subjective opinion.

Also, I personally see animal rights not as a god given thing or as a biological necessity, but mainly as an achievement of advanced civilizations, like human rights and children's rights. They reflect our own humanity.

The radical organizations like PETA do nothing to uphold to this principle because they behave like terrorists, and have done more to harm the credibility of animal rights than to benefit them.

Please don't judge all animal lovers by their standard. Just my 2 cents.

Lavinder
28-01-10, 13:27
I personally believe that killing an animal for fur is terrible when we have plenty of synthetic materials - whereas using an animals fur when it's already dead is perfectly fine if you enjoy fur.

I personally find it a bit horrible, and if I've got a dead thing hanging off of me - but I also wear leather, and eat meat so I'm terribly hypocritical.

Paddy
28-01-10, 13:28
There's a lot of intolerance on both sides of this issue... :/ I'll just state my own opinion and you can insult away if you want. :pi:

Personally, I think wearing fur is disgusting and that hunting endangered animals for furs is immoral.
At the same time, I supose that using furs from non endangered species, even if to me it's just as disgusting, is at least not as dangerous to the balance of nature. Just plain tasteless, but that's a subjective opinion.

Also, I personally see animal rights not as a god given thing or as a biological necessity, but mainly as an achievement of advanced civilizations, like human rights and children's rights. They reflect our own humanity.

The radical organizations like PETA do nothing to uphold to this principle because they behave like terrorists, and have done more to harm the credibility of animal rights than to benefit them.

Please don't judge all animal lovers by their standard. Just my 2 cents.
Couldnt agree more :tmb:

Dustie
28-01-10, 14:10
It's funny when people bring up the 'we have to kill in order to survive' arguments. We don't have to wear fur and I think simply not wearing it at all is the only way out of the whole fur mess.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 15:43
It's funny when people bring up the 'we have to kill in order to survive' arguments. We don't have to wear fur and I think simply not wearing it at all is the only way out of the whole fur mess.

Humans dont actually have to kill anything in order to survive anymore :)

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 15:46
Humans dont actually have to kill anything in order to survive anymore :)Some humans who live in remote parts of the world do.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 15:48
Some humans who live in remote parts of the world do.

Well yeah, i agree with that. I meant humans who live in more advanced areas. So pretty much everyone who isnt like a tribe in the jungle :p

Changeling
28-01-10, 16:10

Does it really matter whether he's gay or not? The discussion is about the wearing of fur on his costume, not his sexuality. And even if he is gay, it's not much of a difference, we live in modern times, not the 14th century.

knightgames
28-01-10, 16:43
I didn't know hating animals was an Olympic sport. Will it have the Olympic "SEAL" (argh! argh!) of approval.

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 17:33
Does it really matter whether he's gay or not? The discussion is about the wearing of fur on his costume, not his sexuality. And even if he is gay, it's not much of a difference, we live in modern times, not the 14th century.

Why do you attack me for mentioning his sexuality when he most obviously likes to flaunt it?

mhO-eruh6b8

BTW, I LOVE Johnny Weir, so everything I say is with love. :o

Catapharact
28-01-10, 18:20
I didn't know hating animals was an Olympic sport. Will it have the Olympic "SEAL" (argh! argh!) of approval.

Lol! I am all up for it; Maybe we all can go "clubbing" after the event ;).

T-Sex
28-01-10, 18:25

Or we could make hilarious jokes about seal clubbing :\

Greenkey2
28-01-10, 18:44
Does the guy flaunt his sexuality? Does he flaunt the fact that his costume incorporates fox fur?

The thread title is 'Olympic animal hater'. There is no point to bringing up his sexual preferences or the nature of his sport, except to inflame further intolerance and polarisation.

To me, the story seems to paint him as having a very ambigious view towards the use of fur in fashion. Whether you agree on the use of fur - and the methods used to obtain it - or not, his opinions should not be taken as indicative of any group as a whole... not figure skaters, not homosexuals, and not animal rights' campainers.

@ Encore: well said :)

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 18:48
Lol, you totally misinterpreted what I have been trying to convey. :D

Catapharact
28-01-10, 18:49

Sure! Why not? Seems like people have an issue with hunting in general; Regardless of if its controlled and legitimate or not. So IMO what reason should I have to not support open hunting season on seals? The aborigonal population is self-sufficient and needs this hunt to survive. Its part of their heritage. So I am not about to Poo poo hard working people for the stereotypical spoiled brat that is PETA who wants to stick it up to the "man"by being a vandal.

Greenkey2
28-01-10, 18:52
Lol, you totally misinterpreted what I have been trying to convey. :D

By going on (and on) about his sexuality and fashion sense when the debate surely is one about the use of fur and animal rights?

I love his comment on how everyone is wearing cows. :)

EDIT: I'd like to also point out that he doesn't "hate" animals, he just simply doesn't care. ;)

NnUMOrd_ANI

Why do you attack me for mentioning his sexuality when he most obviously likes to flaunt it?

mhO-eruh6b8

BTW, I LOVE Johnny Weir, so everything I say is with love. :o

I'm sure you are an ardent fan, but his sexuality and fashion sense have absolutely nothing to do with the thread's topic.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 18:53
Sure! Why not? Seems like people have an issue with hunting in general; Regardless of if its controlled and legitimate or not. So IMO what reason should I have to not support open hunting season on seals? The aborigonal population is self-sufficient and needs this hunt to survive. Its part of their heritage. So I am not about to Poo poo hard working people for the stereotypical spoiled brat that is PETA who wants to stick it up to the "man"by being a vandal.

Ill club any pets you have and then club you :wve:

Catapharact
28-01-10, 18:59
Ill club any pets you have and then club you :wve:

First off, good on for threatning my pets and me :wve:. If we were standing face to face, you would have been on the ground by now in an arm lock while I rang up the police so I could have you arrested for making that statement.

Second, you are obviously one of the spoiled apples that Encore is talking about and I hope you realize that sooner rather then later.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 19:02
First off, good on for threatning my pets and me :wve:. If we were standing face to face, you would have been on the ground by now in an arm lock while I rang up the police so I could have you arrested for making that statement.

Second, you are obviously one of the spoiled apples that Encore is talking about and I hope you realize that sooner rather then later.

Now it comes to a glorious match of physical ability in which you know nothing about me but are quite confident that you can get me "on the ground" and "in an arm lock". Ok, whatever.

Animals are awesome by the way. Just so you know.

Phlip
28-01-10, 19:02
The dirty sket.

Catapharact
28-01-10, 19:04
Now it comes to a glorious match of physical ability in which you know nothing about me but are quite confident that you can get me "on the ground" and "in an arm lock". Ok, whatever.

Animals are awesome by the way. Just so you know.

Oh if you are anything like a stereotypical "tree hugging" PETA supporter then I am pretty certain I have nothing to worry about ;) Lol!

Forwen
28-01-10, 19:06
Ha! Agree with Weir or not, takes guts to be this honest.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 19:07
Oh if you are anything like a stereotypical "tree hugging" PETA supporter then I am pretty certain I have nothing to worry about ;) Lol!

I dont hug trees. Trees suck. If you are anything like a stereotypical moron who spends all day boasting (typing messages) about his non existant physical strength, i dont think ive got anything to worry about. ;)

Bongo Fury
28-01-10, 19:08
Well yeah, i agree with that. I meant humans who live in more advanced areas. So pretty much everyone who isnt like a tribe in the jungle :p

Still no free rides for those "advanced folks". The sheer volume of land appropriated for agriculture, industrial and urban land development isn't without a cost. Because of agriculture human populations have been able to explode but other species pay a price for that. in the end we are all “clubbing seals” in our own way.

Catapharact
28-01-10, 19:10
I dont hug trees. Trees suck. If you are anything like a stereotypical moron who spends all day boasting (typing messages) about his non existant physical strength, i dont think ive got anything to worry about. ;)

LMAO! Oh goody! I like newbies. They really don't know the members of the forums. T-Sex, stick with hugging trees and protesting (and as a concequence, getting beaten up by the riot police and getting locked up behind bars.) Leave smack talking to the experienced people ;).

T-Sex
28-01-10, 19:11
LMAO! Oh goody! I like newbies. They really don't know the members of the forums. T-Sex, stick with hugging trees and protesting (and as a concequence, getting beaten up by the riot police and getting locked up behind bars.) Leave smack talking to the experienced people ;).

I suppose that you are one of these legendary experienced people, who clearly has no idea what theyre talking about. :rolleyes:

Greenkey2
28-01-10, 19:12
T-Sex, Cat... knock it off.

Encore
28-01-10, 19:39

Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how much of an asshole you can be. :p

Catapharact
28-01-10, 19:46
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how much of an asshole you can be. :p

I aim to please and entertain ;). As the famous goofoff Adam Lambert puts it:

"I am here for your entertainment ;)."

T-Sex
28-01-10, 19:47

And you were certainly quite entertaining :pi:

Encore
28-01-10, 19:48
^ You have to admit the forum wouldn't be the same without him :p

T-Sex
28-01-10, 19:49
^ You have to admit the forum wouldn't be the same without him :p

Mhm, i enjoy arguing as a sport :p

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 19:52

LOL! Adam Lambert is gay too!!! :D

But I don't like him very much... ;)

Dustie
28-01-10, 19:54
Some humans who live in remote parts of the world do.

Well - exactly! Yet in the whole fur vs. animal rights debate you can still occasionally hear voices talking about how some things sadly just have to be killed and other survive, and such... those who wear furs don't seem to be living in remote locations and raw conditions or forced to kill by the natural selection.

The only fair thing would be to give up wearing fur for good. It's the only way out. Give it up, because there's no way get it without cruelty towards animals.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 19:56
The only fair thing would be to give up wearing fur for good. It's the only way out. Give it up, because there's no way get it without cruelty towards animals.

Indeed, and synthetic fur looks exactly the same as real fur, so theres no reason to wear real fur :)

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 19:58
Ha! Agree with Weir or not, takes guts to be this honest.
...or just a lot of indifference and apathy. IMO there's absolutely no reason to harm an animal for something you can easily substitute with synthetic products. And no, I don't think it has anything to do with 'hugging trees' or anything of the like, it's just common sense. Why be more destructive than you have to?

Dustie
28-01-10, 20:02
Indeed, and synthetic fur looks exactly the same as real fur, so theres no reason to wear real fur :)

Well synthetic is apparently not nearly as comfortable, good looking, not nearly as good for keeping heat and it's production requires chemicals and all that nasty stuff, thus actually adding up to waste emittance... (which BTW is the situation with billions of products we all use)

So I say give up on both kinds completely. For the sake of our and animals' well-being. That's not going to happen, though... people want their toys and fun too bad. We'll never give them up.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 20:53
a beautiful animal had to die for him. It's unjust and disgusting. May he rot in hell.

r.i.p white fox - im sorry you had to die for an absolute ****

T-Sex
28-01-10, 21:13
a beautiful animal had to die for him. It's unjust and disgusting. May he rot in hell.

Yeah, its really sad :(

robm_2007
28-01-10, 21:15

oh lordy! thats quite a reaction! perhaps HE didnt kill the animal or whatever, maybe his wardrobe assisstant had him wear it, or something. idk.

the fox is dead and done with, would you rather he throw away the fur?

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 21:24
oh lordy! thats quite a reaction! perhaps HE didnt kill the animal or whatever, maybe his wardrobe assisstant had him wear it, or something. idk.

he said in that article 'dont blame peeps associated with me, blame me' or something like that

he wanted to wear it, it makes him less than dirt in my eyes.
That fox died for vanity

T-Sex
28-01-10, 21:29

It was killed FOR the fur. :mad:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-01-10, 21:55

Yeah but they don't follow the animal around waiting for it to die, they kill it in it's prime (no one's going to want fur from an old animal).

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:01

r.i.p white fox - im sorry you had to die for an absolute ****Talk about going over the top.

robm_2007
28-01-10, 22:02
It was killed FOR the fur. :mad:

Yeah but they don't follow the animal around waiting for it to die, they kill it in it's prime (no one's going to want fur from an old animal).

well, i dont agree with killing an animal just for its fur.

what if someone went hunting, killed the fox, ate it, and then wore the fur? would that be as bad?

(i think i might be sounding sarcastic, but im wondering what you guys think, in a serious matter)

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:02
Talk about going over the top.

I wouldnt say that was going over the top.

well, i dont agree with killing an animal just for its fur.

what if someone went hunting, killed the fox, ate it, and then wore the fur? would that be as bad?

(i think i might be sounding sarcastic, but im wondering what you guys think, in a serious matter)

Yes, hunting is terrible because then its torturing/killing something for FUN.

robm_2007
28-01-10, 22:05

ditto. an animal isnt as important as a human. not that animals arent important, though.

@ T-Sex:are you a vegetarian?

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:06
^are you a vegetarian?

Yeah, but even many people who arent vegetarians would agree that hunting is terrible. Theres laws against here in the UK.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-01-10, 22:07
I wouldnt say that was going over the top.

I will agree that hunting involves killing something for sport, and you might not agree with that, and that's fine. But where the hell are you getting torturing from? An animal will suffer far less from a bullet than they will from starving to death or getting eaten alive by another animal (a wolf doesn't euthanize a fox before eating it, just in case you were wondering).

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:07

talk about singling me out :p

I'm enititled to my own opinion

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:08
I will agree that hunting involves killing something for sport, and you might not agree with that, and that's fine. But where the hell are you getting torturing from? An animal will suffer far less from a bullet than they will from starving to death or getting eaten alive by another animal (a wolf doesn't euthanize a fox before eating it, just in case you were wondering).

The animal knows its being chased after. I'd call it torture to chase down an animal that has little chance of escape.

HappyShannon
28-01-10, 22:09

Well, he did shoot and skin the fox (I think, I didn't properly read the first post :p), then go around wearing his fur.

It's pretty selfish.

robm_2007
28-01-10, 22:11
(a wolf doesn't euthanize a fox before eating it, just in case you were wondering).

lol.

this was on Arrested Development

Michael: Since when are you against leather?
Maeby: Yeah, you're not even a vegetarian.
Lindsay: Well, I'm not against the insides. I mean, people need meat to survive.
Michael: You are aware they don't remove it surgically, right?
-------------
Lindsay: I care deeply for nature.
Michael: You're wearing ostrich-skin boots.
Lindsay: Well, I don't care about ostriches.
-------------
sorry, trying to lighten up the mood.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-01-10, 22:12
The animal knows its being chased after. I'd call it torture to chase down an animal that has little chance of escape.

You obviously know nothing about hunting. You don't RUN after an animal with a gun like Elmer Fudd, you shoot it from a distance. It's dead before it even hears the gunshot, still better than being chased and eaten (which would you prefer?). I'm not trying to defend hunting, I'm indifferent, but I don't agree with your torture hypothesis.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:13
You obviously know nothing about hunting. You don't RUN after an animal with a gun like Elmer Fudd, you shoot it from a distance. It's dead before it even hears the gunshot, still better than being chased and eaten (which would you prefer?). I'm not trying to defend hunting, I'm indifferent, but I don't agree with your torture hypothesis.

In fox hunting, you do chase after the fox. On a horse. With a gun. Certainly sounds like a fair contest.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:14
In fox hunting, you do chase after the fox. On a horse. With a gun. Certainly sounds like a fair contest.

and then if you have hounds they rip it into shreds

its gross isnt it :(

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:14
and then if you have hounds they rip it into shreds

its gross isnt it :(

Yeah :(

At least its illegal now (i think)

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 22:15

Spoken from someone whom has never hunted. I'll enlighten you slightly on the OTHER reasons for hunting.

Where I live, we have a very large deer population and unfortunately, deer breed like rabbits (or tribbles for you trekkies). In fact, they breed so quickly that they become a severe problem for motorists. While you can argue that it's a result of humanity's encroachment into the deer's land, that point is beyond the necessity of discussion since we're here and we're not going anywhere. The matter at hand is this: Deer hunting season is used as a means of population control. Not all of them are hunted and there are very strict regulations and laws for hunting to ensure that people don't go wild and kill everything they get their hands on. Several of my coworkers are hunters and all of them hunt because yes, it is fun for them but they also don't toss out the carcass. They preserve the meat for use during winter, use the fur and antlers when possible. From a practical standpoint, they try to not waste anything. They also know that the reason why the laws are in place are for the before mentioned use of population control because deer accidents are very common here and extremely damaging and deadly. The need for population control is to keep them in check so they don't stray on the roads as often, thereby causing possible damage or injuries to humans and of course, keeps them from being hit and killed as well.

In the case of this ice skater, the use of furs for fashion I am not on board with. If there was an actual, practical need, say living in siberia with a local tribe, then that's different. But in a society where we no longer need to kill an animal for its fur, his use for fashion, in my mind, is not acceptable.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:15
Yeah :(

At least its illegal now (i think)

people still do it illegally - i know people who do, well on msn

my frineds are for fox hunting its disgusting

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:16
talk about singling me out :p

I'm enititled to my own opinionI'm not singling you out.

You come out with this "I'm entitled to my own opinion" every time someone doesn't agree with you. Yes, I know you are and I never said you weren't.

Funny how there are normally more emotive responses from members here when it concerns the death or mistreatment of an animal than that of a human. Very strange.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-01-10, 22:17

I'll have to say I jumped the gun (no pun intended), I was comparing fox hunting to deer hunting. I'd still rather get shot than eaten alive, but that's just personal preference.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:17
people still do it illegally - i know people who do, well on msn

my frineds are for fox hunting its disgusting

Yeah, it still happens a lot :(

On wikipedia it says fox hunting is still legal but you have to follow rules

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:18
I'm not singling you out.

You come out with this "I'm entitled to my own opinion" every time someone doesn't agree with you. Yes, I know you are and I never said you weren't.

Funny how there are normally more emotive responses from members here when it concerns the death or mistreatment of an animal than that of a human. Very strange.

i feel pity for human/animal alike if it has suffered pain and mistreatment. Animals are much easier to understand than humans however.

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 22:19

While I'm not sure of the rules specific to fox hunting, deer hunting laws are a means to preserve what little humane treatment can be provided for the species. The irony of that statement is of course the fact that hunting is being engaged in the first place however as you will have seen from my previous post, there are practical reasons.

Mad Tony
i feel pity for human/animal alike if it has suffered pain and mistreatment. Animals are much easier to understand than humans however.Eh?

NemesisxAngelus
Man makes choices and this is his and his alone, it's none of the business of other people at all because people getting mad isn't going to stop from him wearing fur and from what I read, it just happened once.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:20

omg thats terrible :(

Eh?

what don't you understand?

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:21
While I'm not sure of the rules specific to fox hunting, deer hunting laws are a means to preserve what little humane treatment can be provided for the species. The irony of that statement is of course the fact that hunting is being engaged in the first place however as you will have seen from my previous post, there are practical reasons.

I still think practical reasons dont justify killing living things, but to be fair im not really knowledgable on deer population around where you live :p

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 22:22
I do think 'preemptive' killings to prevent accidents are a bit extreme, though. Besides, nature itself will keep an increasing population in check. There's no reason for humans to interfere unless there is an actual need for food.

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:23
what don't you understand?I highlighted it in bold.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:23
I do think 'preemptive' killing to prevent accidents is a bit extreme, though. Besides, nature itself will keep an increasing population in check. There's no reason for humans to interfere unless there is an actual need for food.

i know - i live in a large village and we wer once over-run with rabbits - they ferret and shoot constantly - i havnt seen a rabbit in a while :( its so sad

@Mad Tony - yeah i know but i don't get what u you don't get about it

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-01-10, 22:24
I still think practical reasons dont justify killing living things, but to be fair im not really knowledgable on deer population around where you live :p

The deer population in the Northest US is ridiculous... Year round you can see dead deer carcasses lying on the sides of highways, mowed down by trucks.

I do think 'preemptive' killings to prevent accidents are a bit extreme, though. Besides, nature itself will keep an increasing population in check. There's no reason for humans to interfere unless there is an actual need for food.

Not when there are no natural predators.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:25
i know - i live in a large village and we wer once over-run with rabbits - they ferret and shoot constantly - i havnt seen a rabbit in a while :( its so sad

In the villiage where one of my friends lives, they had an infestation of pheasants :p

We had to drive really slowly to avoid hitting any since they were all over the road, and there were a lot of dead ones in the middle of the road :(

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:26
In the villiage where one of my friends lives, they had an infestation of pheasants :p

We had to drive really slowly to avoid hitting any since they were all over the road, and there were a lot of dead ones in the middle of the road :(

i guess its the country - i dont see why people regard them as pests (apart from when they cause problems) - they have as much right to be here as us

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:27
@Mad Tony - yeah i know but i don't get what u you don't get about itWell how are they easier to understand exactly?

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:27
i guess its the country - i dont see why people regard them as pests (apart from when they cause problems) - they have as much right to be here as us

I thought that the pheasants looked nice, but they were blocking the road. I didnt run any over, but most other cars on the road did :(

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:29
Well how are they easier to understand exactly?
they don't lie, you can tell what they want, they're compassionate and they won't backstab/betray/ have an affair or anything bad

I thought that the pheasants looked nice, but they were blocking the road. I didnt run any over, but most other cars on the road did :(

they're pretty birds, a little bit stupid but they're a part of britian as much as you and me. Its sad when people purposefully mow them down :(

Also - on-topic - the fox for is white - is that an artic fox or an albino wild fox?

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 22:31
Not when there are no natural predators.
There's still territorial limits and lack of food. Nature always finds a balance.

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:31
they don't lie, you can tell what they want, they're compassionate and they won't backstab/betray/ have an affair or anything badThey also can't talk, so it's impossible to talk to them and get a proper understanding of their feelings etc like you can with a human.

Joely-Moley
28-01-10, 22:32
Urgh, I hate fur. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
There's still territorial limits and lack of food. Nature always finds a balance.

oh and natural disastors - for example flooding kills a lot of animals and birds
i completely agree with you about human interferance

@Madtony - do you have pets? they're really not hard to understand. They have simple minds, like children; their wants and needs and direct and easy to interpret. For example, my rat jobi will put his paws on the bars and make quick movements when he wants attention, if they're bored or unhappy they will show it. An animals eyes tell you everything

T-Sex
About that guys outfit, it looks stupid. If he did kill that fox just to look good, well, he wasted his time.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 22:34

Humans are part of nature. The deer are everywhere. Is it really better for them to starve to death or get run down on the highway as opposed to hunters keeping the population in check?

NemesisxAngelus
28-01-10, 22:34
they don't lie, you can tell what they want, they're compassionate and they won't backstab/betray/ have an affair or anything bad

You're sure?

ih6W19KTlZo

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:35
lmao:p yes i'm sure

knightgames
28-01-10, 22:36

Awe c'mon TSex. He was just having fun adding to my joke about Olympic animal hating. It was no more tasteless than my joke. It doesn't mean either of us want harm upon animals or people - which IS something I've read toward the skater. Which is worse - a callous joke or the abject hatred thrown toward the skater himself?).

Check the attitude at the door. You're better than that.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
Humans are part of nature. The deer are everywhere. Is it really better for them to starve to death or get run down on the highway as opposed to hunters keeping the population in check?

All true. Clickity (http://www.idausa.org/facts/deercontrol.html)

Mona Sax
IMO, yes. If you think that is cruel, I think there's nothing crueler than killing without need.

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:39
@Madtony - do you have pets? they're really not hard to understand. They have simple minds, like children; their wants and needs and direct and easy to interpret. For example, my rat jobi will put his paws on the bars and make quick movements when he wants attention, if they're bored or unhappy they will show it. An animals eyes tell you everythingNope, but I'm particularly fond of a cat which comes over from across the road to visit us regularly. He's a lovely little thing but he often does some very weird things (as all cats do). Occasionally he'll run straight in the house and go straight for the back door, only to want to come in again a minute later. Other times he just paces around for no apparent reason. You see, him being a cat and all I can't ask him what's wrong or what he's doing because he can't speak.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-01-10, 22:39
IMO, yes. If you think that is cruel, I think there's nothing crueler than killing without need.

Well apparently you've never heard of something called... The food chain

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs38/f/2008/315/8/c/Simpsons_Food_Chain_by_SpacePlatypus.jpg

(Joke from the Simpsons)

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 22:40

To preserve human life and property? Yes, it is justifiable. But only just. My concern is more for human life than property damage. A car can be replaced, a human can not. And I will say that in the choice between a human and a deer, I'll choose a human. In any other situation I would rather not see the animal killed, but from a practical matter as one whom lives in a society where their numbers can cause accidents, I choose to help the society that I am apart of. The laws we have in place ensure that the survival of the species isn't even remotely threatened.

And I will note, that I do NOT hunt as I have never had much interest in it.

You do no live up here Mona so you wouldn't know the amount of damage caused and lives lost because of deer accidents and near misses. The choice was made to allow deer hunting as it is a means to cheaply control the population to prevent such accidents. I myself have been in a couple of deer accidents. It's not a pleasant experience and to be frank, the last one that I was in, if I had a hand gun, I would have shot it to put it out of its misery. Was there anyway to prevent this? No. I saw them coming, I slammed on my brakes but one decided to run back at the last minute and ended up being dragged under my engine bay. Hearing it scream as I reversed off of it gave me nightmares. When left to their own, with humans present, deer are very resourceful animals and nature will not control them, not to the extent that is needed to keep both deer and people safe. However this is diverting towards another topic all together which in my mind, is not relevant to this particular topic.

And Mona, who are you to decide what a need is? We live in a society of humans. Given the choice, I would be happy to let them run wild. But we don't have that choice since the effect they would have on the population of my city would not be good. As a need from a society, to hunt them is more humane than hitting them on a road. Trust me. They are very hard animals and don't die quickly when struck. When shot, they are dead within seconds. I'd say that's more humane than a sudden impact.

xXhayleyroxXx
Nope, but I'm particularly fond of a cat which comes over from across the road to visit us regularly. He's a lovely little thing but he often does some very weird things (as all cats do). Occasionally he'll run straight in the house and go straight for the back door, only to want to come in again a minute later. Other times he just paces around for no apparent reason. You see, him being a cat and all I can't ask him what's wrong or what he's doing because he can't speak.

animals do things for a reason - the cat must be curious about something in your back garden. Humans pace but we don't ask them what is disturbing them.

Mona Sax
Well apparently you've never heard of something called... The food chain

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs38/f/2008/315/8/c/Simpsons_Food_Chain_by_SpacePlatypus.jpg

(Joke from the Simpsons)
LOL! Well, the food chain is a perfect example for necessary killing.

T-Sex
Nope, but I'm particularly fond of a cat which comes over from across the road to visit us regularly. He's a lovely little thing but he often does some very weird things (as all cats do). Occasionally he'll run straight in the house and go straight for the back door, only to want to come in again a minute later. Other times he just paces around for no apparent reason. You see, him being a cat and all I can't ask him what's wrong or what he's doing because he can't speak.

I dont think theres anything wrong with him, hes just walking around. You could try leaving milk out for him :)

But cat care is sort of away from the topic :p

robm_2007
28-01-10, 22:41
About that guys outfit, it looks stupid. If he did kill that fox just to look good, well, he wasted his time.

it was a rather stupid looking outfit.....

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 22:42

Those little *******s are invading my backyard and jumping out in front of the car while we're driving. I think that's a good enough reason to allow hunting. Better that they feed some hunter as opposed to starving to death in my backyard. I don't want to have dead deer bodies to clean up, or worse get into an accident where people could die just because the deer jumped out of nowhere.

knightgames
28-01-10, 22:42

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Every forum deserves a Rick Rolled once in a while.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:43
Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Every forum deserves a Rick Rolled once in a while.

umm - care to explain?

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:43
Those little *******s are invading my backyard and jumping out in front of the car while we're driving. I think that's a good enough reason to allow hunting. Better that they feed some hunter as opposed to starving to death in my backyard. I don't want to have dead deer bodies to clean up, or worse get into an accident where people could die just because the deer jumped out of nowhere.

Yeah, youve totally got more right to be in any given place than a deer has :pi:

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:44
animals do things for a reason - the cat must be curious about something in your back garden. Humans pace but we don't ask them what is disturbing them.But what exactly? You see, I can't ask him because he can't talk. This is why animals are much harder to understand than humans.

I dont think theres anything wrong with him, hes just walking around. You could try leaving milk out for him :)

But cat care is sort of away from the topic :pI never said there was, but there are times when I don't understand him and it's specifically because he's an animal and thus can't talk.

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 22:44
Well, I just don't think very definitely killing deers is the right solution to potentially save human lives. There have to be ways to coexist.

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 22:46
Yeah, youve totally got more right to be in any given place than a deer has :pi:

Since my post has been buried by the ferocity of this topic I'll recap:

Hitting a deer on a road with a car does not always kill them. Shooting them with a rifle will kill them a lot quicker than dying slowly from internal bleeding as a result of hitting a car. The only time I have seen a deer die more quickly as a result of a car hitting them is when they are literally torn in half from the impact. That doesn't happen very often.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-01-10, 22:46
But what exactly? You see, I can't ask him because he can't talk. This is why animals are much harder to understand than humans.

I never said there was, but there are times when I don't understand him and it's specifically because he's an animal and thus can't talk.

oh well :o each to their own i guess

off topic slightly - the cold has killed a lot of barn owls up here :( its so sad

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 22:47
Well, I just don't think very definitely killing deers is the right solution to potentially save human lives. There have to be ways to coexist.

That is coexisting. We drove away their natural predators so if we don't keep their population in check ourselves the situation becomes a real mess. Unless of course we were to intentionally increase the population of wolves, cougars, and other predatory animals that can kill people.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 22:47
Since my post has been buried by the ferocity of this topic I'll recap:

Hitting a deer on a road with a car does not always kill them. Shooting them with a rifle will kill them a lot quicker than dying slowly from internal bleeding as a result of hitting a car. The only time I have seen a deer die more quickly as a result of a car hitting them is when they are literally torn in half from the impact. That doesn't happen very often.

Well if i want to murder someone at some point, you are suggesting that it would be a lot more pleasant for me to just shoot them in the head than run over them?

Both options sound hideous.

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 22:50
That is coexisting. We drove away their natural predators so if we don't keep their population in check ourselves the situation becomes a real mess. Unless of course we were to intentionally increase the population of wolves, cougars, and other predatory animals that can kill people.
Those predators would soon return if we let them. Point is, humans think they have to interfere in order to fix an earlier interference. We should just let nature take its course. Yes, I do understand we're a part of it, but we're acting as if we weren't.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 22:52
Those predators would soon return if we let them. Point is, humans think they have to interfere in order to fix an earlier interference. We should just let nature take its course. Yes, I do understand we're a part of it, but we're acting as if we weren't.

I don't want wolves and cougars in my backyard. I don't think it's worth the risk of people getting eaten when hunters can do the same job just as easily.

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 22:54
I don't want wolves and cougars in my backyard. I don't think it's worth the risk of people getting eaten when hunters can do the same job just as easily.
Which is the same decision to kill in order to prevent potential casualties again. Besides, we should have the technology to repel predators without killing them.

Ward Dragon
28-01-10, 22:55
Which is the same decision to kill in order to prevent potential casualties again. Besides, we should have the technology to repel predators without killing them.

If we had that technology, then we could just repel the deer and be done with it. Unfortunately no such technology exists. A fence is probably the best bet, but they find ways around that.

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 22:56
Well if i want to murder someone at some point, you are suggesting that it would be a lot more pleasant for me to just shoot them in the head than run over them?

Both options sound hideous.

Actually, they are hideous. But from the carnage I have seen and I have seen quite a bit of deer accidents, the animal ends up dying slowly, in more pain rather than from a gun shot wound. The deer I hit was dragged for forty feet under my mustang, a low sitting car with a large, hot engine. It's tail was sheered clean off and I am certain that it died a slow death. Was it my fault? No, I couldn't prevent it but I would if I could. As I said earlier, I would have shot it to keep it from suffering for too long, if I had a hand gun. So I do feel some guilt for hitting it even though I couldn't stop the accident from happening. It's a matter of chosing the lesser of two evils.

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 22:57
It would certainly be expensive, but I'm certain it could be done. Nothing's going to change as long as people don't value animal life, though.

@ Mark: Yeah, but that's a different situation. You're talking about mercy killings, not about hunting.

Catapharact
28-01-10, 22:58

Mona you obviously aren't aware of the span of ecological timelines (which is shocking really considering that most animal "saviours" here are clueless about such things.)

It takes decades... No... CENTURIES for a given population of herbivores to map out new migratory patters and I am not counting the "pit stops" some of these herds end up taking along the way (say... farms maybe?) You have any idea how much damage farmers sustain interm of low harvest counts due to deer or rabbit infestations? Offcourse not. Most people here just want to look things through the eyes of those "poo wittle animals." Well the only animal I am concerned about is Human.

Yes I am a speciest. Humans first. Everything else second.

T-Sex
28-01-10, 23:00
Yes I am a speciest. Humans first. Everything else second.

Hmmm... Even though humans couldnt survive without many species of insects?

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 23:00
Hunting for population control is in a small way, a form of mercy killing. The need to control is a need to prevent accidents. It saves people's lives and property, it also keeps the deer population from being struck and suffering a slow death. Hunting isn't solely a form of population control here. Ask any hunter here and they will say the same thing I just did.

knightgames
28-01-10, 23:01
umm - care to explain?

Somehow that worked out better in my head than on paper. LOL

You've been Rick Rolled. nevermind.:D :whi:

Catapharact
28-01-10, 23:02

We co-exist in a balance which favours us. I am willing to live with that balance and correct it as it would favour us as a species.

viper456
28-01-10, 23:02
I really don't understand why people wear fur when you can get fake-fur that looks the same and feels pretty much the same. Stupid.

Mona Sax
28-01-10, 23:04
Mona you obviously aren't aware of the span of ecological timelines (which is shocking really considering that most animal "saviours" here are clueless about such things.)

It takes decades... No... CENTURIES for a given population of herbivores to map out new migratory patters and I am not counting the "pit stops" some of these herds end up taking along the way (say... farms maybe?) You have any idea how much damage farmers sustain interm of low harvest counts due to deer or rabbit infestations? Offcourse not. Most people here just want to look things through the yes of those "poo wittle animals." Well the only animal I am concerned about is Human.
I'm concerned about all animals, including homo sapiens sapiens, and I definitely consider life to be more important than financial interests.
Hunting for population control is in a small way, a form of mercy killing. The need to control is a need to prevent accidents. It saves people's lives and property, it also keeps the deer population from being struck and suffering a slow death. Hunting isn't solely a form of population control here. Ask any hunter here and they will say the same thing I just did.
Yes, I'm sure they would.

TRfan23
28-01-10, 23:28
Well using it for fur is cruel and an invalid reason in this case, but actually it's human nature to kill animals.
The reason why some live in a world assuming "omg it's so cruel to kill such thing", is simply because they haven't been brought up in a native tribal environment. Neither have us lot, so you need to think cultural and valid reasons to kill animals. That way you should be able to accept it why some people kill them :)

Besides for those of you concerned, there's animal heaven so nothing to worry about ;)

I would just love to own that cat :D Is it a tortoiseshell?

Paddy
28-01-10, 23:38
Should be concerned about every animal, not just us, its not just our planet.

knightgames
28-01-10, 23:45
Well using it for fur is cruel and an invalid reason in this case, but actually it's human nature to kill animals.
The reason why some live in a world assuming "omg it's so cruel to kill such thing", is simply because they haven't been brought up in a native tribal environment. Neither have us lot, so you need to think cultural and valid reasons to kill animals. That way you should be able to accept it why some people kill them :)

Besides for those of you concerned, there's animal heaven so nothing to worry about ;)

I would just love to own that cat :D Is it a tortoiseshell?

LOL you should see my mum on how she speaks to 'her' guinea pigs. Or rather guinea pig, considering the others have all died ;)

He means Link removed ;)

I hate you. LOL. Ummmmmm make it stop. please. No really. Make it stop. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

In all seriousness I like a good joke, but this video closed the window to 1/4 it's size and whenever I tried to shut it down it would move around.... AND now it's repeating. IM GOING TO HAVE TO REBOOT.

REMOVE THE LINK PLEASE, TRFan. I HOPE you didn't inadverdantly infect my PC.

edit: I'm baaaaack. LOL. Never had that happen b4. I'm still suspicious.

robm_2007
28-01-10, 23:47
He means link removed ;)

OMG! im at school... thank god the sound was off!:vlol:

Dennis's Mom
28-01-10, 23:54

Insect are vital to our survival. They play an important part in the food chain and are excellent eat much detritus.

TRfan23
29-01-10, 00:28
^ Yeh it all starts off small, without insects animals can't eat, without animals we live with hardly any protein ;)

knightgames
29-01-10, 00:58
^ Yeh it all starts off small, without insects animals can't eat, without animals we live with hardly any protein ;)

:vlol: *Shakes head* Mate I know what I'm doing, don't worry I haven't met a virus in yonks ;)

I never judge a website to have a virus if it acts odd like that to a certain extent. Oh the amazing power of javascript (http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp) :D

Did you read the instructions on the site?
Even wikipedia has a page based on rickrolling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling) :)

Here's a print screen of the site in full ;)

http://i50.************/zwdq87.jpg

Bear in mind, this is straying :off: :(

I trust your character enough to NOT post something dangerous and know you'd not do anything intentionally bad, but we all look at stuff and excitedly post thinking it's fun without realizing potential issues. That's what I thought you did. No problem now that I understand, thanks for informing me. I couldn't adjust anything on the page so I wrote what I did. :cln:

Like I said. I can appreciate a good joke. I was caught.

aussie500
29-01-10, 01:47
Still the rickrolling link was invasive and difficult to get rid of, so please in future to save people having to terminate their browser do not post such things again TRfan23.

TheBloodRed
29-01-10, 01:48
Very much agreed. :mad:

This thread has seen its points, I don't know why it will stay open if people will just go back and forth and not get anywhere on the issue. We all have our viewpoints, and some are black and white. You cannot change the thoughts of others on certain heartfelt issues easily, so no need to argue about it.

"'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln

Solice
29-01-10, 03:15
Our place at the top implies a responsibility to take good care and respect God's creatures. True, at one time we had to wear animal skins or die. But now, we have plenty of alternatives that make it both unnecessarily and cruel.

I don't support people sending this guy death threats. Two wrongs to not make a right. In fact, it has made him more combative and animal hating. Those of us that understand that we must respect Nature must convince our neighbors that animal suffering is unacceptable without threats of violence. In fact, that is hypocritical to say your respect Nature and then threaten to kill someone over it.

robm_2007
29-01-10, 03:22
i say we skin this ice-skating *******, and have a fox wear him!

Kapu
29-01-10, 03:30
Our place at the top implies a responsibility to take good care and respect God's creatures. True, at one time we had to wear animal skins or die. But now, we have plenty of alternatives that make it both unnecessarily and cruel.

I don't support people sending this guy death threats. Two wrongs to not make a right. In fact, it has made him more combative and animal hating. Those of us that understand that we must respect Nature must convince our neighbors that animal suffering is unacceptable without threats of violence. In fact, that is hypocritical to say your respect Nature and then threaten to kill someone over it.

Ah-ha, I spot a flaw in your argument! It once was necessary to wear animals to live, yes, and now we do have much better alternatives. BUT WE STILL EAT THEM! :D Is it necessary for us to eat animals? Well, no, because it's possible to gain all the nutrients we get from animals in a vegetarian diet. Is the majority against wearing animal furs? Yes. Is the majority against eating animals. No. :p Thus making it ok to wear the fur of the animals, since we eat them anyway.

That's terrible argument, though. lol. I'm totally against wearing real fur. I guess I would say it's 'wrong.' Just figured I'd take a look at things from someone pro real fur for kicks.

Ward Dragon
29-01-10, 03:36
Ah-ha, I spot a flaw in your argument! It once was necessary to wear animals to live, yes, and now we do have much better alternatives. BUT WE STILL EAT THEM! :D Is it necessary for us to eat animals? Well, no, because it's possible to gain all the nutrients we get from animals in a vegetarian diet. Is the majority against wearing animal furs? Yes. Is the majority against eating animals. No. :p Thus making it ok to wear the fur of the animals, since we eat them anyway.

That's terrible argument, though. lol. I'm totally against wearing real fur. I guess I would say it's 'wrong.' Just figured I'd take a look at things from someone pro real fur for kicks.

I agree with the logic, but I don't believe that foxes are eaten. So I think it's fine to wear leather or deer skin since the animal was being killed anyway for food and it would be a waste not to use the skin as well. But I don't think it's right to use fur from animals that are killed specifically for the fur and not to be eaten.

Kapu
29-01-10, 03:39
Exactly Ward Dragon, we don't eat foxes. It's really a crappy argument. Like I said, I wasn't being serious. :D Just shows how hard it is to justify killing an animal specifically for its fur.

Mad Tony
29-01-10, 06:43
I would just love to own that cat :D Is it a tortoiseshell?No, he's a ridiculously fluffy gray Persian. :p

Draco
29-01-10, 07:04

What fantasy planet are you living on?

Dustie
29-01-10, 09:12

What do we have to kill to survive?

disneyprincess20
29-01-10, 09:59

What do we have to kill to survive?

T-Sex said 'anything', which is the big fallacy in the statement. We have to kill plants and trees to eat and stay warm, animals to wear their skins as clothes to sustain us (some of us) and we have to severely disrupt the make up of the Earth to keep our civilization growing. Even as a vegetarian, plants die in order for you to be nourished.

Despite what science fiction tells you, there are no large scale ways of generating nutrients completely synthetically. Everything we eat comes from another life form that has died. Even Fruitarians (or those who only eat fruit that has fallen from the tree) eat what has died. There's also no way that a fruitarian diet could sustain all human life on this planet.

T-Sex
29-01-10, 14:20
T-Sex said 'anything', which is the big fallacy in the statement. We have to kill plants and trees to eat and stay warm, animals to wear their skins as clothes to sustain us (some of us) and we have to severely disrupt the make up of the Earth to keep our civilization growing. Even as a vegetarian, plants die in order for you to be nourished.

Despite what science fiction tells you, there are no large scale ways of generating nutrients completely synthetically. Everything we eat comes from another life form that has died. Even Fruitarians (or those who only eat fruit that has fallen from the tree) eat what has died. There's also no way that a fruitarian diet could sustain all human life on this planet.

I thought it was totally obvious that i didnt mean plants. Plants dont feel pain or have a mind (dont say they do, because they dont). As long as you arent ferociously wiping a species of tree or whatever off the planet, theres nothing wrong with "killing" plants.

disneyprincess20
29-01-10, 14:25
I thought it was totally obvious that i didnt mean plants. Plants dont feel pain or have a mind (dont say they do, because they dont). As long as you arent ferociously wiping a species of tree or whatever off the planet, theres nothing wrong with "killing" plants.

Nope, you said 'anything', and I took that literally, to answer Dustie's question. We do have to kill things to survive, and it's still a life form that's dying (or a life form that cannot live after we're changed it) so we can survive.

T-Sex
29-01-10, 14:31
Nope, you said 'anything', and I took that literally.
Well its all good now, because ive clarified what i meant.

TRfan23
29-01-10, 14:48
Of course plants are a different matter, and I actually wonder if there's a person who doesn't a mind the killing of animals but not plants?

I know a vegetarian guy on my course and he doesn't mind the killing of animals, but he just doesn't like eating them. He's not against eating them, he just doesn't.

Still the rickrolling link was invasive and difficult to get rid of, so please in future to save people having to terminate their browser do not post such things again TRfan23.

Sorry won't happen again :(

No, he's a ridiculously fluffy gray Persian. :p

Oh well, still have him :D I adore cats, but can't get one, most my families allergic to their fur.

Catapharact
29-01-10, 15:22

There is research which indicates that plants have a sensory preception and react negitively to harm being brought upon them; Such as picking petals and leaves. Goodness... Vegans are gonna starve to death :p.

There's also no way that a fruitarian diet could sustain all human life on this planet.

And I would be one of those people. For some odd reason my body rejects iron suppliment pills and most vegn based diets do not provide wholesome iron and other important nutrients.

But offcourse... I am willing to make a compromise ;). I will gladly eat the Vegans instead if they are so concerned about the welfare of the animals. So what do say guys? Can I drain your blood and save those cows? Lol!

disneyprincess20
29-01-10, 15:29
And I would be one of those people. For some odd reason my body rejects iron suppliment pills and most vegn based diets do not provide wholesome iron and other important nutrients.

But offcourse... I am willing to make a compromise ;). I will gladly eat the Vegans instead if they are so concerned about the welfare of the animals. So what do say guys? Can I drain your blood and save those cows? Lol!

I was actually thinking in terms of quantity; there's nowhere near enough fertile farming/wooded land left on Earth for every human being to have a totally Vegan/Fruitarian lifestyle. You are right though that for some people this diet would be completely intolerable. My fiance for example, is both aneamic and iron intolerant. The only way for him to receive the necessary amounts of iron in his diet is through the consumption of meat. He's so lucky he's marrying a farmers daughter who provides him with free steaks :D

I like your compromising style Cat!

Dennis's Mom
29-01-10, 15:35
There is research which indicates that plants have a sensory preception and react negitively to harm being brought upon them; Such as picking petals and leaves.

Of course plants have sensory perception: flowers open and/or close with sunlight, leaves turn towards the sun, sap withdraws from many trees to the roots/trunks as the weather cools so as not to freeze.

Catapharact
29-01-10, 15:56
I was actually thinking in terms of quantity; there's nowhere near enough fertile farming/wooded land left on Earth for every human being to have a totally Vegan/Fruitarian lifestyle.

That's actually a very good argument though it can also be argued that with our current globalized society, all the required fruits and Vegs needed to sustain such a lifestyle can be imported. Offcourse, it all comes down to Production Possibility. Is society willing to compromise importation of other important goods just so that they can import a bulk load of fruits to sustain a lifestyle that might not be all too good for them?

You are right though that for some people this diet would be completely intolerable. My fiance for example, is both aneamic and iron intolerant. The only way for him to receive the necessary amounts of iron in his diet is through the consumption of meat. He's so lucky he's marrying a farmers daughter who provides him with free steaks :D

Tell him to count his lucky stars... He gets a beautiful intelligent wife AND free steak dinners... I am sure the guys at his work place turn green with envy as he walks in everyday Lol!

I like your compromising style Cat!

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2813/lestat18rk0.jpg

Of course plants have sensory perception: flowers open and/or close with sunlight, leaves turn towards the sun, sap withdraws from many trees to the roots/trunks as the weather cools so as not to freeze.

Well I wanted to emphisize that they do react negitively to acts which can be considered harmful but you are right :).

tombraiderluka
29-01-10, 15:58
Is fur allowed when you wear it in photoshoots?

Catapharact
29-01-10, 16:01
Is fur allowed when you wear it in photoshoots?

Depending upon the photoshoot. Even if it is a photoshoot with models wearing fur-made clothing, most fashion houses make sure that the fur was obtained from a legitimate hunt.

tombraiderluka
29-01-10, 16:03
Depending upon the photoshoot. Even if it is a photoshoot with models wearing fur-made clothing, most fashion houses make sure that the fur was obtained from a legitimate hunt.
People wore fur in the past I see no harm in wearing it now. Though I prefer fake fur.

xXhayleyroxXx
29-01-10, 18:00
Somehow that worked out better in my head than on paper. LOL

You've been Rick Rolled. nevermind.:D :whi:

yeah i know what it means but why would u put tht in this thread?
its incredibly off-topic
if you have a problem with what im saying tell it to me

robm_2007
29-01-10, 23:00
Vegan/Fruitarian lifestyle.

did you just say Fruitarian? lol. ive never heard that term before.

knightgames
30-01-10, 00:50
yeah i know what it means but why would u put tht in this thread?
its incredibly off-topic
if you have a problem with what im saying tell it to me

No Hayley. I don't remember exactly what you said but it was something along the lines that reminded me of the Rick Rolled lyrics. Like I said it sounded better in my head than it actually was. It was a nonsequitor that didn't fit. My bad. A joke that fell flat.

I'm all about :hug: :o:p . Okey Dokey?

Solice
30-01-10, 00:57
People wore fur in the past I see no harm in wearing it now. Though I prefer fake fur.

There is a lot of harm being done. Animals slaughtered and skinned for no good reason but human vanity. The animals are also mistreated and live there lives in misery.

Legend 4ever
30-01-10, 07:01
So when exactly are people going to understand that just because some refuse to wear fur or join PETA, the industry is not magically gonna stop doing it. There and there will always be people who will want real fur and the ones who will grant them their wishes.

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:11
So when exactly are people going to understand that just because some refuse to wear fur or join PETA, the industry is not magically gonna stop doing it. There and there will always be people who will want real fur and the ones who will grant them their wishes.

AKA Assholes :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:15
No Hayley. I don't remember exactly what you said but it was something along the lines that reminded me of the Rick Rolled lyrics. Like I said it sounded better in my head than it actually was. It was a nonsequitor that didn't fit. My bad. A joke that fell flat.

I'm all about :hug: :o:p . Okey Dokey?

ok forgiven :hug:

@Legend 4ever - it's actually illegal so they should stop :p I'm pretty sure it's illegal anyway

Any person that can skin a live animal in an unhumane way doesn't have a heart and they deserve a worse fate.

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:17
ok forgiven :hug:

@Legend 4ever - it's actually illegal so they should stop :p I'm pretty sure it's illegal anyway

Any person that can skin a live animal in an unhumane way doesn't have a heart and they deserve a worse fate.

It's not illegal, at least not in Britain and America :(

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:18
It's not illegal, at least not in Britain and America :(

its not illegal in BRITAIN? what? are you sure? we're not allowed to sell fur

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:23
its not illegal in BRITAIN? what? are you sure? we're not allowed to sell fur

I read something a while ago that said that if an animal is endangered, you cant wear its fur. But you can for most other things

EDIT: I found this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4603032.stm Scroll down to the part about bans. It says cat and dog fur is legal here :eek:

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:27
I read something a while ago that said that if an animal is endangered, you cant wear its fur. But you can for most other things

EDIT: I found this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4603032.stm Scroll down to the part about bans. It says cat and dog fur is legal here :eek:

that is DISGUSTING

i'm disgusted in my country for once!

I double check anything fur-like i wear before i buy it anyway but people are very naive about it. For example, my granny bought a little cat figure that was furry - and she said 'oh it feels like a real cat!'

Turns out it pretty much was.

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:29
that is DISGUSTING

i'm disgusted in my country for once!

I double check anything fur-like i wear before i buy it anyway but people are very naive about it. For example, my granny bought a little cat figure that was furry - and she said 'oh it feels like a real cat!'

Turns out it pretty much was.
:yik:

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:32
:yik:

Agreed! The majority of fur comes from france, i've watched a video skinning a racoon alive and afterwards it lifts it's head to the camera. I'm never watching it again.

And they have horse slaughter-houses :( I think it's horrible

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:34
Agreed! The majority of fur comes from france, i've watched a video skinning a racoon alive and afterwards it lifts it's head to the camera. I'm never watching it again.

And they have horse slaughter-houses :( I think it's horrible

Thats horrible :(

I wonder what they were using racoon fur for :confused:

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:36
Thats horrible :(

I wonder what they were using racoon fur for :confused:

hats and scarfs im guessing

urghh im so annoyed! is it legal to use chinchillas:confused:

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:38
hats and scarfs im guessing

urghh im so annoyed! is it legal to use chinchillas:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla

Theres a paragraph about fur. Im not sure where their fur is legal or illegal though

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:40
it probabaly is since last year/the year before madonna wore a chinchilla fur coat :*(

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:41
it probabaly is since last year/the year before madonna wore a chinchilla fur coat :*(

Shes setting a really bad example for people :(

Tomb-Dude
30-01-10, 10:43
Sorry if comes off as rude but sort of gone off topic. Originally about the olympic figure skater not all about animal killing/hunting.

All though I do agree with some of your points, if possible maybe make a seperate thread about animal hunting if we think it should be legal or illegal. Just so we dont go off topic too much on this thread :o

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:45
Sorry if comes off as rude but sort of gone off topic. Originally about the olympic figure skater not all about animal killing/hunting.

All though I do agree with some of your points, if possible maybe make a seperate thread about animal hunting if we think it should be legal or illegal. Just so we dont go off topic too much on this thread :o

I thought this thread was about fur in general and used the olympic guy as an example, but ok :p

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:46
Shes setting a really bad example for people :(

she really is :(

i've done that before and it got closed for being a touchy topic :(

Tomb-Dude
30-01-10, 10:53
@T-Sex - Judging by the OP it was about the Olympic skater using fur. Then it turned into arguments and many others thing (been skimming through most of the posts) :)

she really is :(

i've done that before and it got closed for being a touchy topic :(

Ahh =/ I think if it just general discussing what people think, and just generally debate about it. (in a cilivized way) or discuss with mod before explaining why you are doing it. (if have any) it should be ok. If it doesn't go over the top like constant aruging in the thread lol. :)

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:59
@T-Sex - Judging by the OP it was about the Olympic skater using fur. Then it turned into arguments and many others thing (been skimming through most of the posts) :)

Ahh =/ I think if it just general discussing what people think, and just generally debate about it. (in a cilivized way) or discuss with mod before explaining why you are doing it. (if have any) it should be ok. If it doesn't go over the top like constant aruging in the thread lol. :)

I didn't it was other people who were going over the top :(
i had a thread about animal taxidermy as well but that went down like a punctured balloon hehe

Legend 4ever
30-01-10, 15:01
I just thing it's funny that people are dying around us every day and we still want to focus on the way KFC "treats" their chickens and the fact that Johnny Weir wore fur. Please, this whole planet could be gone very soon and it will disappear sooner than later, and it will leave nothing behind it. All our work, wars, opinions, knowledge will be gone. When you look at it like that, you realize what the priorities are in this life.

Super Badnik
30-01-10, 15:04
Well good. I mean, why should future generations miss out on such amazing species just because some pansy wants to look like an idiot?

T-Sex
30-01-10, 15:06
Well good. I mean, why should future generations miss out on such amazing species just because some pansy wants to look like an idiot?

:tmb:

Suzan
30-01-10, 15:13
I just thing it's funny that people are dying around us every day and we still want to focus on the way KFC "treats" their chickens and the fact that Johnny Weir wore fur.

Well people are different. Some like people, some prefer other animals. Some people want good for both. I'm one of those people, but I always talk about other animals because they've been deep in my heart since I was little. While some people talk more about humans and humans' problems, I always talk about animals. One reason is that almost everyone cares for humans already, but there aren't enough voices speaking for other species.
edit-
someone was talking about iron pills, thought I'd just inform you (everyone) that if you need iron from a pill as a vegan, you're doing it wrong :p :D

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 16:06
I just thing it's funny that people are dying around us every day and we still want to focus on the way KFC "treats" their chickens and the fact that Johnny Weir wore fur. Please, this whole planet could be gone very soon and it will disappear sooner than later, and it will leave nothing behind it. All our work, wars, opinions, knowledge will be gone. When you look at it like that, you realize what the priorities are in this life.

to be fair im sure you wouldnt like to be squished in a cage with all your brothers and sisters suffocating you because theres no room. And then being tipped upside down and having your head submerged in boiling water and then having a big knife chop it off.

knightgames
30-01-10, 17:03
Well people are different. Some like people, some prefer other animals. Some people want good for both. I'm one of those people, but I always talk about other animals because they've been deep in my heart since I was little. While some people talk more about humans and humans' problems, I always talk about animals. One reason is that almost everyone cares for humans already, but there aren't enough voices speaking for other species.
edit-
someone was talking about iron pills, thought I'd just inform you (everyone) that if you need iron from a pill as a vegan, you're doing it wrong :p :D

I used to be vegan, Suzan. With research a person can lead a very healthy life as a vegan. I still try to eliminate as much meat as possible in my diet but since I'm no longer with the lady who intrduced me to veganism (she's passed away) and I'm truly an aweful cook I relaxed a bit.

I was at a store the other night that never had supermarket items before. I hadn't been there in a while and was surprised by the addition. I was even more surprised that the store carried almond milk, soy milk, veggie burgers and assorted tofu products. I bought some almond milk. I forgot how good it is cold.

One thing I love to make is homemade bread. My grandmother used to make the white bread, and that was always sooooooooo good. I make it with whole wheat with various nuts and grains in it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dark green leafy veggies are high in iron. Spinach and even celantro, which is often used as a flavouring, is a source of iron. It takes discipline at the beginning if you didn't grow up vegan, but it can be done quite well.

Catapharact
30-01-10, 17:16
Dark green leafy veggies are high in iron. Spinach and even celantro, which is often used as a flavouring, is a source of iron. It takes discipline at the beginning if you didn't grow up vegan, but it can be done quite well.

Once again I am surprised that a lot of people think that dark leafy vegitables like Spinich can provide them with their required intake of Iron.

While its true that Spinich contains more Iron then lean cut meat products concentration wise, what most people fail to realize that these leafy vegitables are filled with an absorption inhibitor called Oxalate. This Oxalate prevents optimal absorption of other important nutrients as well (such as calcium.) So by sticking with a soley vegan diet, you are consuming more calories with little benifits to your body interms of the required dietary nutrient intake. In short, you are going to have more fat content in your body then actual muscle mass.

Then again... Most people don't bother to research stuff like this.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 17:17

moodydog
30-01-10, 17:32

NnUMOrd_ANI

true... but he is really good.

knightgames
30-01-10, 18:29
Once again I am surprised that a lot of people think that dark leafy vegitables like Spinich can provide them with their required intake of Iron.

While its true that Spinich contains more Iron then lean cut meat products concentration wise, what most people fail to realize that these leafy vegitables are filled with an absorption inhibitor called Oxalate. This Oxalate prevents optimal absorption of other important nutrients as well (such as calcium.) So by sticking with a soley vegan diet, you are consuming more calories with little benifits to your body interms of the required dietary nutrient intake. In short, you are going to have more fat content in your body then actual muscle mass.

I DIDN'T say ALL of the required iron. Seriuosly dude. Lighten up. You don't have to be the forum info manager. I appreciate the extra effort, but giving it at the expense of what someone else has to say is poor form. Make an addition to what someone says...... not necessarily a correction based only on a few short sentences. You have no idea how much I have or haven't investigated. Basing my knowlege on a two sentence post and then adding an insult like you did in your last sentence is rude at best.

For someone so intelligent you can put things so indelicately. I know you mean well........ but.

Suzan
30-01-10, 20:21
knightgames, I live on a vegan diet too. Maybe my post was confusing, what I meant was that you don't need iron pills because you're a vegan. You need them if you don't eat well. With many people the case is that they're anaemic while omnivores but live healthier as vegans. I knew nothing about good food and nutrients while I was an omnivore cos I just ate...stuff. Without any knowledge. But changing your diet means you have to learn new things and now I know more about nutrition than any of my friends, or parents.

Joely-Moley
30-01-10, 23:33

Just because people care about the mistreatment of animals doesn't mean they don't care about other things.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 23:39
Just because people care about the mistreatment of animals doesn't mean they don't care about other things.

precisely :hug:

Lara Croft!
31-01-10, 13:01
Animal fur should be illegal!

That made me lol....

Squibbly
31-01-10, 16:22
I saw on the news the other day a story about recycled fur. Instead of buying new "fresh" fur, some people are finding it more morally acceptable to use recycled fur. Stuff maybe your grandmothers may have lying around, and this fur is taken and made into things like purses, footwear, various types of clothing, coats, and all sorts of other things.

What's your opinion on that? It's all the same to me, really. Fur is fur. I would agree it's better to go with recycled fur, though.

Fur was of course needed at one point to keep people warm, but in this day and age, it just isn't right to me. And other than that, it's just stupid and tacky looking.

Mad Tony
31-01-10, 16:53
I saw on the news the other day a story about recycled fur. Instead of buying new "fresh" fur, some people are finding it more morally acceptable to use recycled fur. Stuff maybe your grandmothers may have lying around, and this fur is taken and made into things like purses, footwear, various types of clothing, coats, and all sorts of other things.

What's your opinion on that? It's all the same to me, really. Fur is fur. I would agree it's better to go with recycled fur, though.I really don't see the problem with it. I have no qualms with real fur anyway but it's not like there's any way of reversing the fur process. If anything I think using recycled fur is good because it's making use of it.

Solice
01-02-10, 03:44

We are given the predominate place on Earth. With that comes responsibilities. The priority should be being good caretakers of the planet, which includes being respectful of God's creatures, other people and the planet as a whole. None of these things are mutually exclusive.

Suzan
01-02-10, 08:30
Recycled fur is of course better than buying new, giving money to that horrible and useless industry. But when you wear fur, whether it's recycled or not, it shows others that it's completely ok to treat animals as a piece of luxury clothing etc. So that problem doesn't go away, even if it's recycled. Fur is ok for those who need it - the animals themselves, and people who cannot survive without it. I live in a country where the coldest weather is around -30 degrees celsius, and in the summer it's like +30. No one here needs it, but it's abit different in places where it gets cold as hell. (lol)

disneyprincess20
01-02-10, 09:15
did you just say Fruitarian? lol. ive never heard that term before.
I was struggling to think of the name of the branch of vegetarianism/veganism that only eat fruits or nuts that have naturally fallen from the tree. I've probably got the name wrong! See Notting Hill (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125439/) for further information :D

I thought that bit was proven false (clicky (http://www.de-fact-o.com/fact_read.php?id=2)). The rest of it about Oxalate is bang on though.

touchthesky
01-02-10, 09:45
Animal rights activists are idiots.

I am all for treating animals nicely but I don't feel the need to throw red paint over someones £10,000 white fur coat. It makes people think they're a bunch of crazy weirdos, and it doesn't actually help does it? The animal hasn't been brought back to life because someone threw red paint over it, and whilst they are out there throwing this paint over people they could be doing something constructive, like working on saving animals lives in a vet practice or whatever.

Suzan
01-02-10, 10:55

Stupid people are stupid. Doesn't matter if they're for animal rights or not. Some activists only spread information and don't go around throwing paint on people. I don't go around bashing meat eaters, just like I don't support throwing paint on anyone, even though throwing paint is less damaging than torturing and killing. But I don't wanna sink on the low level of some people.

Eleana
01-02-10, 13:59
I never wear fur myself, but I suppose it means very little given that I know I have some leather shoes, belts etc. You can scream "murder" all you want at someone who wears fur, and PETA seem to scream at everyone, but unless you know you do not use or consume any item or product that has come from an animal having been killed then its time you got off your soap box.

Humans have come a long way form their caveman days, and it isn't necessary to kill animals so we can dress ourselves, especially for something as trivial as fashion. But alot of the clothes (or material for clothes) we wear come from factories in developing countries, yet we will wear them without any regard to the suffering we, inadvertantly, are causing?

As I said, I don't believe in wearing fur, but I don't agree with the abuse the skater in the article received. The "high horse" in this case should be reserved for someone who has lived a faultless life. Clean up your own back garden before you start screaming about somebody elses.

Joely-Moley
01-02-10, 15:40

I am all for treating animals nicely but I don't feel the need to throw red paint over someones £10,000 white fur coat. It makes people think they're a bunch of crazy weirdos, and it doesn't actually help does it? The animal hasn't been brought back to life because someone threw red paint over it, and whilst they are out there throwing this paint over people they could be doing something constructive, like working on saving animals lives in a vet practice or whatever.

We don't all support PETA, and throw paint at people, you know. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
01-02-10, 20:17
We don't all support PETA, and throw paint at people, you know. :p

agreed :) i just voice my opinions and save abandoned animals

touchthesky
01-02-10, 20:21
Stupid people are stupid. Doesn't matter if they're for animal rights or not. Some activists only spread information and don't go around throwing paint on people. I don't go around bashing meat eaters, just like I don't support throwing paint on anyone, even though throwing paint is less damaging than torturing and killing. But I don't wanna sink on the low level of some people.

Well...:o

*Puts on fur coat*

*Leaves thread*

xXhayleyroxXx
01-02-10, 20:31

*Puts on fur coat*

*Leaves thread*

a fur coat eh :mad: bad hehe

Legend of Lara
01-02-10, 20:32

*Puts on fur coat*

*Leaves thread*

I will hunt you down and throw paint at you!

Solice
02-02-10, 04:09

I give to the Humane Society. You don't hear much from them since they don't pull stupid stunts like PETA.

Mad Tony
02-02-10, 12:07
I give to the Humane Society. You don't hear much from them since they don't pull stupid stunts like PETA.It's normally the quiet ones who do the best work.

**** PETA though. They should be banned IMO.

Dennis's Mom
02-02-10, 12:27
There was an article in the Houston Chronicle about a subdivision being overrun with deer. I know there was discussion about this a few pages back, so I'll post the link for those interested.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6846311.html

Ward Dragon
02-02-10, 12:33
There was an article in the Houston Chronicle about a subdivision being overrun with deer. I know there was discussion about this a few pages back, so I'll post the link for those interested.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6846311.html

Whoa, that sounds even worse than here :eek: I've seen a bunch of deer in my backyard but they've never chased me (although I didn't get close either XD).

Dennis's Mom
02-02-10, 14:23
Deer aren't known for being aggressive, but it's clear they've become quite comfy there, so they're behavior has changed, I'm sure.

The squirrels at UT were quite aggressive to the point of running up your leg if you had food and helping themselves to chips from your bag if you left it out.

Angel666
02-02-10, 14:49
The squirrels on my campus are crazy. They aren't afraid of anything and will stare you down. It's creepy.

Suzan
02-02-10, 15:46
**** PETA though. They should be banned IMO.

Yeah, we've kinda heard that already, you hate PETA with all your heart :wve:

xXhayleyroxXx
02-02-10, 15:49

:p hehe x

TRfan23
02-02-10, 15:54

Same here, though I dono what they do to be so evil.

Mad Tony
02-02-10, 15:58
Yeah, we've kinda heard that already, you hate PETA with all your heart :wve:Yeah I do, and with good reason. :wve:

T-Sex
02-02-10, 16:02
EDIT: Never mind :p

Mad Tony
02-02-10, 16:03
You have already told everyone that about 80 times during this thread.I believe that was the first time I mentioned PETA in this thread actually.

T-Sex
02-02-10, 16:08
I believe that was the first time I mentioned PETA in this thread actually.

Sorry, im a bit tired and i got this mixed up with that other thread :p

Ill edit my post.

Solice
05-02-10, 22:56
The squirrels on my campus are crazy. They aren't afraid of anything and will stare you down. It's creepy.

I had a squirrel mug me for the almonds on my Almond Joy. He stood in the middle of the sidewalk and would not move. I handed it over without protest. :eek::D

knightgames
06-02-10, 03:04
I had a squirrel mug me for the almonds on my Almond Joy. He stood in the middle of the sidewalk and would not move. I handed it over without protest. :eek::D

Well, that IS why they put two in a package. As the old commercial said: "Almond Joy. You can share half and still have a whole."

Quite funny Solice. Thanks for the laugh.

Sir Croft
06-02-10, 03:19
Not saying he's right, but PETA sucks anyway. They are overly extremist (yes, it's that much) and often overreact.

scoopy_loopy
06-02-10, 03:26
Meh, I stopped caring as soon as I noticed how cute the guy was.

xXhayleyroxXx
06-02-10, 20:27
Meh, I stopped caring as soon as I noticed how cute the guy was.

:yik: i'm shocked at you mr :p xxxx