PDA

View Full Version : State of the Union Address...

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 00:58
...is on right now.

Say what you think as the address goes on and after it is finished. If you are not a citizen of the USA you shouldn't be bashing the president. If you ARE a citizen, you have a 1st amendment right to do so! >:3
(not saying bashing someone is a good idea)

I believe something about Haiti and Health Care will be said, but I have no idea what the filler will be. :/

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 01:01
Most likely a means to rally the many disappointed democrats out there. His healthcare reform is pretty much dead now that the democrats lost their filibuster proof majority.

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 02:36
Did you even watch it? It was really great. I didn't see anything bad in it. xD

Bad part is now that the VA governor is talking now and spouting out ideals that say things that sound good but don't exactly help in the long run (for generations to come).

Beans-Bot
28-01-10, 02:39
Hell, even my parents liked it [for the most part], which is absolutely shocking to me. :jmp:

Gobama. :)

Trigger_happy
28-01-10, 02:52
If you ARE a citizen, you have a 1st amendment right to do so! >:3

Sorry to be a pain, but 1st Amendment doesn't work here.

Is this like where the President tells congress what he's going to do for the rest of the year? A little like the Queen's Speech, but more premature?

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 02:57
I tried to say that if what is said does not refer to you, then don't say anything negative.

It is a showy and pseudo-mature speech held after the president has had a year in office in order for him to speak on the current events.

Obama did a great job. Very clear and concise and no booing for him at all!!
(not even from Republicans)

knightgames
28-01-10, 03:08
I have to admit I liked him calling out the Supreme Court Justices on their last weeks ruling regarding the 1st Ammendment.

Corporations are NOT the people.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20100125/OPINION01/301259975

Personally I'd like to see this lead to campaign finance reform.

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 03:10
He called out everybody! It was great!! :D
(and I meant everyone, the media too!! xD)

SamReeves
28-01-10, 03:13
Yawn…can we fast forward to November and start undoing some of the damage? ;)

knightgames
28-01-10, 03:26
Yawn…can we fast forward to November and start undoing some of the damage? ;)

Well he called for transparency in the government during the election. There has been obfuscation. Let's see if he's full of Bull Crap this time. If he was making an honest overture to the right side of the aisle, we'll all know soon enough, Sam.

I like his tax breaks for small business. EXPORTING!!!!!(and I don't mean jobs!) Maybe new jobs to develop newer fuel sources. All positives in my mind. How he goes about it remains to be seen. Tax cuts to stimulate investment in research and developement???

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 06:43
If you are not a citizen of the USA you shouldn't be bashing the president.

I tried to say that if what is said does not refer to you, then don't say anything negative.
You're being ridiculous. People can say what they like on here as long as if it's within reason. This whole "you can't bash our president if you're not American" mentality some people exert is rather silly I think, especially since these same people don't mind good things being said about him. I've seen this kind of thing be said a lot on here over the past year, yet I don't remember anyone applying this same rule to Bush. If people are not qualified in your eyes to say negative things about him then why are they somehow qualified to say good things?

Like it or not what the actions of the US presidents affect the rest of the world, so everyone here has a right to comment if they want to, whether it's negative or not.

Is there a summary somewhere? Haven't got the time to watch it all through right now. Did he mention his bank taxes? I don't approve of those. Yeah, I just bashed your president's policies even though I'm not American. Don't like it? Tough.

Cochrane
28-01-10, 07:09
Right, but did you ever notice one thing: The USA are kind of big and important in the world today. A lot of what happens there in domestic politics, and certainly the foreign politics, affect people outside the US.

So yes, I think it's relevant to non-americans as well, and I certainly think that I have the right to say negative things about it. I'm not going to, because I didn't bother to watch it yet (just like I ignore major speeches of german politicians. It's the results that matter, not the talk), but I reserve the right to do so.

knightgames
28-01-10, 07:24
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/28/sotu.transcript/index.html

Here Tony.

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 10:08
FYI, contrary to popular belief, the consitution, which includes the bill of rights and thereby the 1st Amendment, is in place to prevent the government from interfering in the citizens lives. The 1st Amendment does not give people a free pass to say what they want.

On the topic at hand, I had to go to sleep before I could finish watching it. He's a good speaker, not quite as good as Slick Willy (Bill Clinton) but the ability to speak well does not denote the ability to affect change. He had some good points, but despite his call for unity among both parties, there will never be unity and more than likely, as Sam Reeves implied, we could see a Republican controlled Senate come November. I for one want to see Nancy Pelosi gone. The woman scares me and I don't scare easily.

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 13:37
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/28/sotu.transcript/index.html

Here Tony.Thanks.

SamReeves
28-01-10, 16:38
FYI, contrary to popular belief, the consitution, which includes the bill of rights and thereby the 1st Amendment, is in place to prevent the government from interfering in the citizens lives. The 1st Amendment does not give people a free pass to say what they want.

On the topic at hand, I had to go to sleep before I could finish watching it. He's a good speaker, not quite as good as Slick Willy (Bill Clinton) but the ability to speak well does not denote the ability to affect change. He had some good points, but despite his call for unity among both parties, there will never be unity and more than likely, as Sam Reeves implied, we could see a Republican controlled Senate come November. I for one want to see Nancy Pelosi gone. The woman scares me and I don't scare easily.

Yuppers. Independents were the body of voters that put Scott Brown into office. I am sure there are just as many more angry independent voters out there. Watch out uber liberals! ;)

knightgames
28-01-10, 16:45
Thanks.

Welcome.

jackles
28-01-10, 17:04
...is on right now.

Say what you think as the address goes on and after it is finished. If you are not a citizen of the USA you shouldn't be bashing the president. If you ARE a citizen, you have a 1st amendment right to do so! >:3
(not saying bashing someone is a good idea)

I believe something about Haiti and Health Care will be said, but I have no idea what the filler will be. :/

Actually I think you will find that we have the right to discuss the president if we want to or not....and the most president bashing comes from the states not elsewhere!

Mr.Burns
28-01-10, 17:05
That and whatever happens here has a ripple effect with the rest of the world so in reality, everyone can talk about him if they want since his actions affect all.

patriots88888
28-01-10, 17:30
Actually I think you will find that we have the right to discuss the president if we want to or not....and the most president bashing comes from the states not elsewhere!

No doubt about that. ;) Not if this forum is any example. :vlol:

interstellardave
28-01-10, 17:31
When Bush was the president there was more bashing from outside the states (on this forum, anyway). Probably not so, in the case of Obama... but he was LOVED before the election; such adoration won't go away easily.

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 17:37
No doubt about that. ;) Not if this forum is any example. :vlol:It's the same in the real world, at least here anyway. That's partly due to media bias though.

When Bush was the president there was more bashing from outside the states (on this forum, anyway). Probably not so, in the case of Obama... but he was LOVED before the election; such adoration won't go away easily.It's always the same isn't it? The Republicans are always seen as evil and the Democrats as good, even though it can often be the other way around.

TheBloodRed
28-01-10, 17:39
How biased coming from someone who doesn't live in the states. :ton:

Republicans being evil and Democrats being good is all relative to your philosophical beliefs on the political issues at hand...

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 17:49
How biased coming from someone who doesn't live in the states. :ton:How is it biased when I basically said they can both be evil and good?

SamReeves
28-01-10, 17:57
When Bush was the president there was more bashing from outside the states (on this forum, anyway). Probably not so, in the case of Obama... but he was LOVED before the election; such adoration won't go away easily.

LOL, once people found out what a BOOB Obama has become, the adoration has vanished! I read the text in the Wall Street Journal since I can't stand the sound of his voice. Looks more of the same, no backtracking on healthcare, and more handouts if you'll sign your soul to the government.

interstellardave
28-01-10, 18:07
LOL, once people found out what a BOOB Obama has become, the adoration has vanished! I read the text in the Wall Street Journal since I can't stand the sound of his voice. Looks more of the same, no backtracking on healthcare, and more handouts if you'll sign your soul to the government.

I meant overseas... yeah, here, where it's hurting our wallets, the bloom is off the rose for sure!

Beans-Bot
28-01-10, 21:35
Is there a summary somewhere? Haven't got the time to watch it all through right now. Did he mention his bank taxes? I don't approve of those.

He plans on keeping them. It was funny since the cameras shot to the Republican part of the room and they all had mega-death glares in his direction. :vlol:

Also, I noticed 98% of them were old. :pi: There were many old people on the Dem side, too, just not as many. Just an observance. :p

On Topic: My entire family nearly died of happiness when he mentioned something about a $10k tax cut for parents sending kids to college. Now we'll just see if something that amazing ever sees the light of day [same goes for most of what he said in the address]. :(

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 22:00
He plans on keeping them. It was funny since the cameras shot to the Republican part of the room and they all had mega-death glares in his direction. :vlol:

Also, I noticed 98% of them were old. :pi: There were many old people on the Dem side, too, just not as many. Just an observance. :p

On Topic: My entire family nearly died of happiness when he mentioned something about a $10k tax cut for parents sending kids to college. Now we'll just see if something that amazing ever sees the light of day [same goes for most of what he said in the address]. :(Well I'm not surprised. The bank taxes are stupid IMO. Our government are doing it here too.

So what if they're old? What relevance does that have here?

knightgames
28-01-10, 22:21
Banks won't pay those taxes. It'll be passed down to the consumer/client in the form of fees and penalties.

I'm glad he wants to 'create' new jobs, but other than mentioning small business tax cuts I don't know where the money is coming from to "grow." I'm sure the stimulous money will go toward seeding fledgling business, but if taxes are too high we'll be in the same boat we are now.

He mentioned nothing about unions either, and their part of this drama.

Despite the poor form I'm glad he scolded the SC over their ruling because of the potential for abuse and steering elections by corporate funds and interests. Remember though, campaign funds come in from all sources. George Clooney throwing overseas dinner parties to raise capital for his candidate of choice could just as easily be seen as tampering too (though not at potentially brazen in appearance).

Time for CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM. Eliminate the over-influence of lobbyists, businesses et al, and leave the vote to the public. Shorten the time for campaigning by limiting the funds availible, and thus IMO, hopefully laser poining important issues rather than the back and forth willie wagging and tongue scolding we see 2.5 years out from the election. It will also help reduce the time for a second term president becoming lame duck. Think about that. One year and a few months from now the political rangling for a new president will fire up for the 2012 election - WAYYYY too long of a time. While I loathe suggesting taxes I think this one would benifit the electoral process. Each candidate has X amount of dollars. Spend wisely.

Oh. I loved the word NUCLEAR. I see no reason to not develop this form of energy. I'm glad he mentioned that, as it's been a stumbling block for helping getting the U.S. off of coal and dependancy of oil.

There's NO ONE that can convince me this forum wasn't critical of Bush. Rightfully so on many occassions, but sometimes the vitriol was so bad that I'm sure it stretched the breaking point of the terms of the forum rules. ONE such person (a moderator if I remember correctly) hasn't been seen since the election a year ago, but damn he was pretty outspoken, adding to my belief that some opinions weren't opinions but troll like behaviour.

Beans-Bot
28-01-10, 23:48
Well I'm not surprised. The bank taxes are stupid IMO. Our government are doing it here too.

So what if they're old? What relevance does that have here?

As I said before, it just struck me as odd. But if I may, I'd say that it speaks volumes if the majority of your party seems to be elderly. That means that you're not catching the new generation and, well, that is definitely not good for your future. :o

Mad Tony
29-01-10, 06:24
As I said before, it just struck me as odd. But if I may, I'd say that it speaks volumes if the majority of your party seems to be elderly. That means that you're not catching the new generation and, well, that is definitely not good for your future. :oThat's akin to saying a party full of Jews is not good for the future because most Americans aren't Jewish. Age doesn't matter, it's the ability to do the job that counts.

You're coming off as sightly ageist.