PDA

View Full Version : Internet Hoaxes...

egypt_gypsie
28-01-10, 07:04
I just heard about the 'Johnny Depp Dead in Car Crash' hoax, and I unfortunately jumped to conclusions before reading the hoax part....*facepalm*

Here is the article, if you have no idea what I am talking about..

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2625977/johnny_depp_not_dead_false_cnn_reports.html

It is amazing how internet rumors can spread like wildfire.

Several celebrities have been victims of death rumors that are started on the internet.

People need to be a bit more selective in what they believe from the internet...

Discuss.

Little-Lara
28-01-10, 07:18
IMO this is a very sad and pathetic way to boost views for the lamest of websites. The distance of the rumors spreading is dependent on the amount of pathetic websites there are that chose to post these rumors without checking the facts.

These rumors prove how little is checked before an info is posted on an otherwise respectable website. :rolleyes:

Spong
28-01-10, 07:33
These rumors prove how little is checked before an info is posted on an otherwise respectable website. :rolleyes:

On the flip-side of that opinion, a story is only as believable and reputable as the person who reads it is impressionable and unquestioning. As Homer Simpson once said so eloquently; it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

ShadyCroft
28-01-10, 07:39
People need to be a bit more selective in what they believe from the internet...

well in this case, in my opinion, people should stop caring about celebrities anyways. No, am not being cruel and I don't mean what I just in a bad way. I just mean that a lot of people should stop caring whether Beyonce had onion soup for lunch or a steak.
And if she gets poisoned (God forbids for anyone), they shouldn't act like its the end of the world. :)

patriots88888
28-01-10, 07:57
People just want dirt is all, plain and simple. And you don't have to look very far from this forum to see proof of that.

Little-Lara
28-01-10, 08:03
On the flip-side of that opinion, a story is only as believable and reputable as the person who reads it is impressionable and unquestioning. As Homer Simpson once said so eloquently; it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

I get you. plus you speak Simpson. But how often does people go around checking the validity of the news about someone dying. I might turn on E! but I won't turn on E! to check if a news website lied! Lies are not the first thing I expect from a news website.

In this economy lies would really **** people off.

Encore
28-01-10, 09:39
well in this case, in my opinion, people should stop caring about celebrities anyways. No, am not being cruel and I don't mean what I just in a bad way. I just mean that a lot of people should stop caring whether Beyonce had onion soup for lunch or a steak.
And if she gets poisoned (God forbids for anyone), they shouldn't act like its the end of the world. :)

I think the subject of this thread can be a little wider than just celebrity rumours. I mean, internet rumours can be used to very negative effects you know - like political ones.

I think in general the internet is consistently losing credibility though. :p I mean, I don't see myself as particularly cynical but I really must take everything I see on the internet with suspicion, because the fact that anyone can have a spotlight means that everyone wants to be the attention whore of the moment. :/

ShadyCroft
28-01-10, 09:54
think the subject of this thread can be a little wider than just celebrity rumours. I mean, internet rumours can be used to very negative effects you know - like political ones.

which is why I said "in this case" in reference to the lines...

I just heard about the 'Johnny Depp Dead in Car Crash' hoax, and I unfortunately jumped to conclusions before reading the hoax part....*facepalm*

Several celebrities have been victims of death rumors that are started on the internet.

rumors about celebrities dominated the first post, and its what I concentrated more in my post. :)
and I agree with your post. For a larger percentage, the internet has lost its credibility. Its completely open for the public and anybody can edit and post any information for the public eye.
Heck, you can even make a home video of a guy with long hair and walking in some remote semi-dark street and label it "Michael Jackson is alive" and you'll get like a million views in a short time. :)

touchthesky
28-01-10, 13:33
Talking of hoaxes.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/taylor-lautner-killed-off-in-internet-death-hoax-1533049.story

Imagine Taylor really HAD been killed? :(

LightningRider
28-01-10, 13:44
Talking of hoaxes.

http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/taylor-lautner-killed-off-in-internet-death-hoax-1533049.story

Imagine Taylor really HAD been killed? :(

Aww, poor Taylor. :vlol:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-01-10, 13:58
I didn't see this one, but you do know he's an alien right? Just look:

http://wonderwall.msn.com/?ocid=ENTSP-Celebs (http://skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/facepalm.jpg)