PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall fights to be represented at Commonwealth Games

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 14:58
Campaigners are considering legal action to allow Cornwall to be represented independently at the Commonwealth Games.

Kernow Trust, formerly the Cornwall Commonwealth Games Association, had an application refused in 2004.

It is now considering submitting a judicial review against the Commonwealth Games Federation.

Games organisers called it a "frivolous" act and said they would oppose any legal action.

Campaigners are hoping that Cornwall can be represented at the Games in Glasgow in 2014.

They cite a precedent as the summer Olympics of 1908 in which Cornwall competed in rugby.

Campaigner Graham Hart told BBC News: "Cornwall is a duchy, not part of England and we have every right to be there.

"England is no more a part of Cornwall than Cornwall is a part of England.
"England goes with the English counties to the games. We should go as a country."

Michael Hooper, chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said: "We have made it very clear that if proceedings start we will resist it.
"This is a frivolous act. I am not trying to undermine Cornish identity, but it is an English county as defined by the British government.

"His argument is with the British government.
"He can contest it in any form he likes."

He added: "If Cornwall becomes independent then an application can be made, but at the moment it is a county.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8484609.stm

LMAO! :D

Cochrane
28-01-10, 15:13
I don't know enough about British politics to make a good comment here, but I do think the idea that Cornwall is a country (on the level of England, Scotland, Wales) seems a little silly, no matter how much (if any) of an odd history may be behind those claims.

digitizedboy
28-01-10, 15:19
Daft southern country bumpkins.

Trigger_happy
28-01-10, 16:18
Duchy doesn't mean a country, it just means a Duke ruled over it. If they get to be a country, I vote that Berwick-upon-tweed should be allowed to!

This is like the height of stupidity.

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 16:20
This story makes the idea of Scottish independence look reasonable.

HappyShannon
28-01-10, 16:24
Are commonwealth games represented in countries, like an England team, France team, etc?)

If so, then I demand Manchester get their own team as well :pi::p

Trigger_happy
28-01-10, 16:27
Are commonwealth games represented in countries, like an England team, France team, etc?)

Yeap, anyone who is a part of the Commonwealth of Nations can play. So The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man send their own teams.

HappyShannon
28-01-10, 16:33
^ Ah...
Then Cornwall really shouldn't get a team :pi:

toxicraider
28-01-10, 17:01
I think it's a little over the top to want Cornwall to be treated as a separate country, If people really feel that way, then I'd have thought that membership to the Commonwealth games is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. This is what I meant by 'absurd'.

remote91
28-01-10, 17:21
Sit down and shut up, Cornwall

jackles
28-01-10, 17:48
*waits for our Cornish members to turn up*

;)

TRfan23
28-01-10, 17:50
How corny, this is stupid lol. I want my town to be a country, can Ashford be a country? I'll cry if it doesn't :p

Chocola teapot
28-01-10, 17:52
I want Cwmbran to be a country! :(

Reggie
28-01-10, 18:07
And attitudes as shown here just helps perpetuate the Cornish notion that we're aware of how we're looked down upon as just 'country bumpkins'. Even if I consider the issue less important in the grand scheme of things, I think us Cornish people have a valid case getting a bit more respect at the very least.

Mad Tony
28-01-10, 18:11
And attitudes as shown here just helps perpetuate the Cornish notion that we're aware of how we're looked down upon as just 'country bumpkins'. Even if I consider the issue less important in the grand scheme of things, I think us Cornish people have a valid case getting a bit more respect at the very least.Believe me Reggie, my intention was not to bash Cornwall or Cornish people as a whole, just those nuts who think Cornwall should be a nation.

Bonez
28-01-10, 18:13
And attitudes as shown here just helps perpetuate the Cornish notion that we're aware of how we're looked down upon as just 'country bumpkins'. Even if I consider the issue less important in the grand scheme of things, [b]I think us Cornish people have a valid case getting a bit more respect at the very least.[b]

To be fair, I think the people wanting Cornwall to be represented as a country rather than as the UK is the wrong way about getting a bit more respect. :p

Reggie
28-01-10, 18:17

^ Comments like these just feel insulting and look totally ignorant. I thought people might have been a tad more open minded given how liberal most tend to claim they are here and it reinforces what Cat says about hypocrisy. There you have it right there.

Believe me Reggie, my intention was not to bash Cornwall or Cornish people as a whole, just those nuts who think Cornwall should be a nation.

To be fair, I think the people wanting Cornwall to be represented as a country rather than as the UK is the wrong way about getting a bit more respect. :p
I believe, each and every region of this country - if they have a valid case, (as I consider Cornwall to what with our own history, culture, language and customs - at least going back in history) should have the right to assert and determine themselves - at least in some measure...BUT

That's NOT to say I think Cornwall should be its own country - I'm not a nationalist however, I'm all for mutual respect and recognition and well, the ignorance and disdain shown there felt like an insult so I'm pretty much forced off the fence on this.

digitizedboy
28-01-10, 18:38
Meh! people in this country take things far too seriously. I mean, I wouldn't give a damn if someone ****ged off the Brummies. I'd laugh it off.

Lighten up man.

remote91
28-01-10, 18:44
http://i50.************/2i8udxh.jpg

Reggie
28-01-10, 18:51
Whatever. I've said my bit.

remote91
28-01-10, 18:53
Whatever. I've said my bit.

Cheer up, Reggiekins

Reggie
28-01-10, 18:56
Seeing you two trying to cover your asses on making silly comments like that has already cheered me up. :)

remote91
28-01-10, 18:58
Seeing you two trying to cover your asses on making silly comments like that has already cheered me up. :)

Woah, silly comment or a joke that wasn't to everyones taste?

Besides, me posting a little smiley was hardly trying to cover my beautiful ass now, was it?

Super Badnik
28-01-10, 19:00
I haven't heard anything about this. But then again i do live right up next to Devon.

Greenkey2
28-01-10, 20:19

http://i50.************/2i8udxh.jpg

Cheer up, Reggiekins

It's comments like these that really lower the tone of any topic. Come on folks - if you can't contribute intellectually at least do it politely.